Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

3 hours ago, JRM said:

The comments on almost every social media post by whining fans slagging off Jones do my head in, all of them seem to forget the previous 11 months of rubbish we've endured. 

It’s a bit gutting to not even have a new manager bounce, even shit managers usually have some sort of honeymoon period, we have just got worse.

• Like 3

One of my friends said we should have went after Peter Bosz instead of Jones. Not sure what would be different, but regardless I still support Jones as he is my club's manager, but he needs to do something quick or this whole season will be a wash. An obvious philosophy on how he wants us to play would be a start.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JRM said:

The comments on almost every social media post by whining fans slagging off Jones do my head in, all of them seem to forget the previous 11 months of rubbish we've endured. 

I think it's the replacing of rubbish (which wasn't always rubbish) with rubbish (which is likely to remain rubbish) that is central to  most complaints.

• Like 2

"I would imagine, the next two to three weeks, you'll see a good balance in the work that we do.”

Is this a commitment to improved performance in 2 to 3 weeks or just imagining it just might happen (God willing)??

To me it looks like he's set the timescale for us to judge him. If it's still shit in 3 weeks then he has to go.

Edited by StrangelyBrown

8 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

"I would imagine, the next two to three weeks, you'll see a good balance in the work that we do.”

Is this a commitment to improved performance in 2 to 3 weeks or just imagining it just might happen (God willing)??

To me it looks like he's set the timescale for us to judge him. If it's still shit in 3 weeks then he has to go.

Another 3 weeks means he will have had just short of 3 MONTHS in charge of the club.  What on earth has he been doing for the past two MONTHS if he hasn't been focussing on the 'balance'?

That quote also doesn't mention anything about improved performances, just that the work will be well balanced.  You can be well balanced and still shit.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Another 3 weeks means he will have had just short of 3 MONTHS in charge of the club.  What on earth has he been doing for the past two MONTHS if he hasn't been focussing on the 'balance'?

That quote also doesn't mention anything about improved performances, just that the work will be well balanced.  You can be well balanced and still shit.

We don't have three weeks to see an improvement. Negative result against Everton, and he has to go in my opinion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

This is incorrect. The comment about balance was in the context of transfers and whether our policy has changed or not.

NJ was saying that it hasnt overall but that a balance between youth and experience is needed, and that over the next two/three weeks and the signings we make people will see that.

I get people don't like the bloke but please be accurate!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

This is incorrect. The comment about balance was in the context of transfers and whether our policy has changed or not.

NJ was saying that it hasnt overall but that a balance between youth and experience is needed, and that over the next two/three weeks and the signings we make people will see that.

I get people don't like the bloke but please be accurate!

2 MONTHS in charge.  ZERO points.  Accurate enough?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

2 MONTHS in charge.  ZERO points.  Accurate enough?

No, not accurate though, is it.

We have played 4 games in 2 months, not 8 or 9, with 0 points.

Im not saying this will work with him, but im prepared to see how we are over the next few weeks. Let’s face it, id be amazed if SR sack him right now, unless we don’t get a single win in that time, maybe they will act then. But not now, and he hasn’t had 2 months of games.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

The fans are more fucked off now with NJ . Ralph never has us in a relegation fight with no buget and no new players .

Where were we when he was sacked ? In the bottom 3. "No new players" ? Lavia, Bazunu, Edozie, Mara, Lyanco, DCC, ABK, Livramento, Aribo, AMN, Larios, heck even Walcott, AArmstrong, Willy, and Che were "new" signings under Ralph.

Edited by badgerx16
bloody auto correct
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

At least he has been given 4 premier league games in the space of 12 days to sort out about 18 months of shit. I’m sure all of us could walk into a job and change the mentality, attitude and below par performances of staff in that time. 

I'd give it a go with 6 weeks of no games to get in the way.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

At least he has been given 4 premier league games in the space of 12 days to sort out about 18 months of shit. I’m sure all of us could walk into a job and change the mentality, attitude and below par performances of staff in that time. 

He has changed it.

It’s worse. Way worse. 

The fact that the vast majority of Fans are saying the same thing should be a clue. There’s no point even arguing. Let’s just meet back here after Everton and see how much longer you want to give him after two more losses and awful football. 

• Like 2

Just now, imadirtyurchin said:

He has changed it.

It’s worse. Way worse. 

The fact that the vast majority of Fans are saying the same thing should be a clue. There’s no point even arguing. Let’s just meet back here after Everton and see how much longer you want to give him after two more losses and awful football. 

I dunno we haven’t had the 9-0’s yet… yeah let’s give him one more game eh, he deserves that I suppose. I should imagine a high % of this vast majority were completely against the appointment in the first place. I think we all know that the Jones out views started a long time before any ball was kicked. 

I am not for one minute saying he’s going to work out but the amount of game time he has been given before judgement is fuckin pathetic 

• Like 1

Ralph's first four games in charge:

Cardiff 1 - 0 Southampton

Southampton 3 - 2 Arsenal

Huddersfield 1 - 3 Southampton

Southampton 1 - 2 West Ham

50% win record in league games and definitely noticed an improved performance. Jones has been a disaster and I just can't see it improving. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

I dunno we haven’t had the 9-0’s yet… yeah let’s give him one more game eh, he deserves that I suppose. I should imagine a high % of this vast majority were completely against the appointment in the first place. I think we all know that the Jones out views started a long time before any ball was kicked. 

I am not for one minute saying he’s going to work out but the amount of game time he has been given before judgement is fuckin pathetic 

You’re right that Forest game was the epitome of free flowing, progressive exciting football. It wasn’t 9-0 sure but it was 0 shots on target against an appalling team with an even more appalling away record that was preceded by 2 identically bad performances where the players looked tactically lost, with a manager that was obviously floundering having had the equivalent of a preseason to implement at least a semblance of a style of play and an identity. 

I was underwhelmed at NJs appointment - I don’t understand the thinking that got him the job as nothing in his history seems to fit with the ethos of the way the club said they wanted to play football. But nothing I’ve seen (or heard) from NJ himself has even remotely made me question this belief. Ultimately it doesn’t matter what any of us think. We can only react to the football as it happens.

”Nathan Jones: your football is shit”

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Where were we when he was sacked ? In the bottom 3. "No new players" ? Lavia, Bazunu, Edozie, Mara, Lyanco, DCC, ABK, Livramento, Aribo, AMN, Larios, heck even Walcott, AArmstrong, Willy, and Che were "new" signings under Ralph.

And how many of those are 

1. Premier league quality

2. His signings

Cant imagine he would have picked those players if he had a choice in it. 

10 minutes ago, Green said:

Ralph's first four games in charge:

Cardiff 1 - 0 Southampton

Southampton 3 - 2 Arsenal

Huddersfield 1 - 3 Southampton

Southampton 1 - 2 West Ham

50% win record in league games and definitely noticed an improved performance. Jones has been a disaster and I just can't see it improving. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

FFS.... We're where we are as we haven't been able to score and we made stupid mistakes in defence.

Our first two mid-season buys are purposefully players who can create opportunities out of nothing.

They've been brought in to fill a specific gap in creativity, and that only comes from people knowing specifically where the issue is.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

This revisionism regarding Ralph is making be gag.

What revisionism?

Saying we are now worse under Jones isn't saying Ralph was good, it's saying we are worse now.

I love how the idea of expecting some kind of new manager bounce (as we got from Hughes and Ralph himself) when we were already rock bottom is now some kind of unreasonable unrealistic expectation that it is outrageous for people to have.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

In the interests of fairness - How long would you give him? And what would be your minimum requirements for him to keep the job? 

eg, 10 games 3 wins and a draw? 

Genuinely I’m interested. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's not fuckin pathetic to think that the NJ appointment was wrong in the first place, when there was little evidence to suggest he was the right man. And it's not fuckin pathetic to hold NJ and the club to account for the performances to date.

• Like 5

The criticism is justified. I liked Ralph but the relationship had reached its end. With a new manager you want to see an improvement in results and performance. We havent had either. We've actually got worse. There would have been grace if the fixture list had been unkind to him (and there was grace for the Liverpool game). But the reality is we've played Brighton (H), Fulham (A) & Forest (H) and have 0 points to show for it. In addition to that, the results reflect the performance, we didn't deserve to win any of those games.  If you sack a manager you want to see an improvement in whoever replaces him. I don't think that's too much to ask.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We don't have three weeks to see an improvement. Negative result against Everton, and he has to go in my opinion.

If he manages a positive result at Everton he'll have done better than most of his predecessors. 

40 minutes ago, Nolan said:

FFS.... We're where we are as we haven't been able to score and we made stupid mistakes in defence.

In other words we are where we are as we've been shite at football?  That would be the role of the manager to make us less shite?

Except for the fact that he's shite himself.  Really shite.

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

If he manages a positive result at Everton he'll have done better than most of his predecessors. 

Although that is true, (and any win in the premier league is a good one especially if it’s away) but this is the worst Everton team in my lifetime, and they have an awful manager. 

2 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

In other words we are where we are as we've been shite at football?  That would be the role of the manager to make us less shite?

Except for the fact that he's shite himself.  Really shite.

And maybe that's why we're bring new player in? Maybe?

20 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

To make Jones less of a shite manager?  May be asking a bit much of lil Charly to be fair.

Maybe we need to sack Jones and bring in a manger who is at least competent at PL level?  Maybe?

its not going to happen, so why bother calling for it.

Get behind the team FFS

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I do not for one minute think Jones was a good appointment but do you really think any manager would get much out of our squad which with injuries is now worse than the one Ralf struggled with.

I doubt that the squad will be much better with new players for a few weeks as well it takes time to integrate into a new team which is struggling

Most clubs bottom of the PL at this time of the year get relegated just accept it like the UK SFC has not had enough investment so is bound to be struggling

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Although that is true, (and any win in the premier league is a good one especially if it’s away) but this is the worst Everton team in my lifetime, and they have an awful manager. 

But Everton have better players than us Pickford Gray Gordon and Coady would significantly enhance our team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imadirtyurchin said:

In the interests of fairness - How long would you give him? And what would be your minimum requirements for him to keep the job? 

eg, 10 games 3 wins and a draw? 

Genuinely I’m interested. 

More than what he has been given before the knives came out. 

Ralph had 4 years to achieve a win % of 34% and a - 49 goal difference, so think a new guy should be given more time than 4 games in all honesty. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's not fuckin pathetic to think that the NJ appointment was wrong in the first place, when there was little evidence to suggest he was the right man. And it's not fuckin pathetic to hold NJ and the club to account for the performances to date.

That’s fine if you don’t think it’s pathetic to write people off before they have started. I think it is 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ralph had 4 years to achieve a win % of 34% and a - 49 goal difference, so think a new guy should be given more time than 4 games in all honesty. 

Ralph had managed in the Champions League and took a team to 2nd in one of Europe's greatest football leagues, and also had experience of fighting relegation with a smaller club in that same league. So he had buckets of credibility.

He was an exciting appointment the fanbase were united behind.

He also hit the ground running with some early wins. Something which now is apparently completely unreasonable to expect anyone to achieve as an incoming boss mid season.

No one in the fanbase wanted this guy from day one. And he has done the opposite of hitting the ground running. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

So not a straight answer then just whataboutery waffle about Ralph. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Ralph had managed in the Champions League and took a team to 2nd in one of Europe's greatest football leagues, and also had experience of fighting relegation with a smaller club in that same league. So he had buckets of credibility.

He was an exciting appointment the fanbase were united behind.

He also hit the ground running with some early wins. Something which now is apparently completely unreasonable to expect anyone to achieve as an incoming boss mid season.

No one in the fanbase wanted this guy from day one. And he has done the opposite of hitting the ground running. 

Have not said Ralph was an appointment that lacked credibility, the point was how much patience and time is given..

Not sure you can speak for the whole fanbase, but your point about people not wanting him from day one is completely valid, the bloke needed a miracle start from a team in massive decline, to get people on side. 

Even when he does get a result against a premier league side he gets the vocals of  “your football is shit”… “we scored a goal”… “how shit must you be, we’re winning away” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That’s fine if you don’t think it’s pathetic to write people off before they have started. I think it is 

So in your mind, you would give time to any manager appointment we made. So regardless of who they are or how good they are, there will never be an appointment that you wouldn't question from day one.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!