Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

If Jones can get the players playing, he has no real need to court us.

My concern remains that tonight was a flash in the pan, and that he's ultimately capable of neither.

But hey - a forward step's a forward step.

• Like 3

Well, the 2 cup games were free hits, and he's smashed it out the park.  It definitely looks as though his system is getting across to our players.  If we manage to keep this up, or miraculously improve upon it, then I'll be eating Humble Pie for the rest of the season.  Well done to all at SFC.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Whether you think it's fair for him to take a dig at the fans or not, all it's doing is creating tension which will (and is) leading to inevitably bigger reactions when we don't do well.

just ignore him, i’m fairly sure 95% of fans couldn’t give a sh*t what he says. find it weird if anyone takes offence. watch the football and judge him off that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

You mean you're hoping he looks mighty silly on Saturday. Just get behind him ffs

Why would I hope that we lose in a relegation six pointer? I'm just saying he could've waited until Saturday, in a game which ultimately matters more for our future, before giving it the big one.

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Something has gone on after that Forest game. I don’t care what NJ or anyone else says, we were a hopeless long ball outfit in that game. I’m still fuming that we basically threw that game. 

He can give it back all he wants, but it isn’t professional and he is meant to be a Premier League manager. Still, tonight was excellent, let hope it doesn’t revert to type on Saturday. 

Yeah maybe a sense of solidarity and coming together of the team and manger after the crowd started boooing poor touches and long balls during the game rather than getting behind the team. 

isnt profession my arse. Fans treated him like shit, get personal and don’t like it when the spikey fucker gives it both barrels back. Why not just swallow your pride and accept sometime things take a little time to turn before you see green shoots.

“you don’t know what your doing”, well it seems like he might do.

I swear some fans want to see it all go wrong just so they don’t have to admit that maybe the judged too quickly.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Why would I hope that we lose in a relegation six pointer? I'm just saying he could've waited until Saturday, in a game which ultimately matters more for our future, before giving it the big one.

We've just made a semi final by comfortably beaten the Champions, without them having a shot on target. Why shouldnt he give it the big one. Yes we're in a difficult situation in the league but such results dont come along too often.

Hes had a very difficult start to his time here and its probably a massive relief. At least he didnt end up on knees crying 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

Well, the 2 cup games were free hits, and he's smashed it out the park.  It definitely looks as though his system is getting across to our players.  If we manage to keep this up, or miraculously improve upon it, then I'll be eating Humble Pie for the rest of the season.  Well done to all at SFC.

Indeed and me too.

So impressed tonight with the energy, the quick moves, plus the tactics.

I just hope we get that striker we badly need as it could make the difference if we stay up or go down.

It was great to see the players really behind the manager at the end. I know I said it was toxic last week but apparently the whole squad had a massive heart to heart at the end of the week with the management team.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This result should buy him a bit of time, and release a bit of pressure. I’ve read countless posts where people have called him a twat, passive aggressive, chest thumping clown etc. but his reaction at the end was pretty classy imo, personally, I’d have given some of you the old Harvey Smith. Then called Blackmore a fat chump in my post match interview. 

Deserves credit for setting up the team properly & installing a bit of fight in the players. Long long way to go, but the bloke deserves this result tonight. 

Yep I find it quite sad that our fanbase have turned on Jones so fast and that it even got to the point he’s having to answer he doesn’t think his football is shit .. I mean give the guy a chance he’s come into a team with a lot of problems and a losing mentality drilled into them.. and he’s getting all this flack after a few games.. whilst Ralph had excuse after excuse made for him for years on end.. bit of a witch hunt really.

all this is probably down to Jones coming from Luton whilst Ralph came from Leipzig .. the brittish manager has it hard these days every one wants some foreign sexy manager from abroad.

feel happy for nj two wins on the bounce two new quality looking additions and hopefully a striker hopefully we kick on now. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Nobody who watched that Forest game could rationally believe he was the right man for the job. Outsiders will think fans have overreacted but it was the most inept performance by a PL team in history. Tactically what were they trying to achieve that evening? It was madness. I’m usually against fans turning on their own teams but if it actually achieved something in this case fine.

Didn’t like his interview, especially the part where he said we dominated Forest! Yesterday was much better but you can’t tell me it was an evolution from Forest to Palace to City, and a process of building and time. Last night was a revolution in terms of how they tried to attack. Hopefully he’s got a few things off his chest and can act more professional going forward, because last week’s reaction was justified.

• Like 3

I really hope, for all concerned, that this is a turning point and we kick on now. I'm still a bit worried that in the interview after the game he thinks we 'dominated the forest game'. Err no Nath, that was probably the worst 90 mins of football from a Saints team that anyone can remember.

• Like 1

I feel conflicted. Without a doubt he has delivered one of the best results this century but he let himself down in his post match interviews showing no dignity which would have given him the higher moral ground. I’m not sure I am going to like him very much but I guess if he delivers on the pitch then who cares a hoot. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, JibMcdo said:

I’m usually against fans turning on their own teams but if it actually achieved something in this case fine.

Fucking laughable. The only thing turning on him so early achieved was made some people look like twats. We even had a couple of posters hoping we lost Saturday to hasten his demise. Even now it’s all, “fair play but he’s listened to us” from some supporters, and “I don’t like him, he was horrible about us” from others.

All he should be entitled to is a fair crack of the whip, he hasn’t got one. Read the first few pages of this thread, in December FFS.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 12

31 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

So what were his big tactical changes? All I saw was 4 at the back and a proper press. So it's Ralph Version2. Baz's long hoof was still there but this time we chased down that second ball.

Great thing is the effort by the players has demonstrably increased dramatically. They seem to be playing for him. 

There were differences all over the pitch, totally different set up and tactics. 

The positioning and role of JWP changed the direction of our play. He spend more time close to CF role, compared to under RH when he sat alongside CB. The midfield turned forward and drove with the ball, or released it early. There was more cover from midfield, Djenepo working harder doubling up on Grealish for example. 

There were less gaps between players when we attacked. 

There was a good use of a long ball, into space behind fullbacks which stopped them driving forward and was effective. 

Think you missed quite a lot. 

Chalk and cheese to Ralph more pondering build up and isolated forwards. 

• Like 9

There’s things I’m liking with Jones.. especially his flexibility with tactics and formations.. its a breath of fresh air after Ralph who was very stubborn..

like Jones said he switched to three at the back to counter city’s changes and he’s used a ton of formations already I like the thought of having a manager who responds to things and can switch things up depending on the opposition, will make us less predictable..

also find him quite honest and talks a lot of smart stuff.. you can’t really blame him for some of his answers as the pressure from fanbase was leading to it..

I think he’s here for the long term and this is a project Rasmus believes in 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking laughable. The only thing turning on him so early achieved was made some people look like twats. We even had a couple of posters hoping we lost Saturday to hasten his demise. Even now it’s all, “fair play but he’s listened to us” from some supporters, and “I don’t like him, he was horrible about us” from others.

All he should be entitled to is a fair crack of the whip, he hasn’t got one. Read the first few pages of this thread, in December FFS.

Spot on. Hate seeing fans wishing we lose for the 'greater good'. One good result can bring another, confidence can grow and before you know you are on a run. It might not happen, but to not want to give it a chance is sad. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, benjii said:

Glad to see my constructive criticism of him on Twitter and on here may have been taken into account. 

Me too.

I let him off too lightly when he joined, gave him the benefit of the doubt and he abused that trust by playing crap against Lincoln and Brighton. After Fulham and most definitely after Forest I had had enough of him. I wanted him out of  the club. This time last week I was pressing F5 all the time in the hope that he had been sacked. Clearly the loss of my support made him reconsider, he pulled his finger out and last night we outplayed the champions.

It is clear that my criticism of him was responsible for the upturn in form. You can thank me later.

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Managers need time. Absolutely insane to start calling for his head after THREE games. It's not like we were brilliant before he arrived, some of the vitriol aimed at a guy who has come in to a difficult situation and is trying his hardest to turn things around for us has been disgusting frankly and he has every right to defend himself and give a bit back. Hilarious to see some of those same fans now getting upset.

Last night was an absolute master class from both the manager and players against the best team in the world. In the long run Jones may or may not turn out to be the right man for the job but if you can't even give him a a fair chance and just want to boo and moan then feck off and support that lot down the road. 

Well done Nathan, hopefully this can be the platform for an improvement in the league now.

• Like 5

Yesterday was an incredible performance, and Nathan Jones deserves plaudits for what is the biggest win in his career.

However, the theee league games since the World Cup have been unacceptable, and I cannot forget that Forest game in a hurry.

If he gets us playing well in the league and we move up then fair enough. But I'm still sceptical that he is the long-term solution. I do hope I am wrong.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Yesterday was an incredible performance, and Nathan Jones deserves plaudits for what is the biggest win in his career.

However, the theee league games since the World Cup have been unacceptable, and I cannot forget that Forest game in a hurry.

If he gets us playing well in the league and we move up then fair enough. But I'm still sceptical that he is the long-term solution. I do hope I am wrong.

Let’s not get over the fact that the players were completely shit in that game and the Brighton game, they couldn’t even pass the ball 5 yards, the first touches were horrendous and the desire to actually get on the ball, particularly in midfield was horrendous 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

I like the spikiness of the interviews. He is a human, who after presumably being very excited at having earned the best opportunity of his career was being given some brutal and personal stick. If he wasnt affected by that it would be odd.

The key for me is that the players seemed to have a genuine connection with him at the end. I think that is hard to fake.

We may lose on Saturday, but its clear he will be here to stay so hopefully this win kicks us on, and I'm pleased for him.

Exactly he's human and it's just a game at the end of the day. Some of the criticism of him was over the top and frankly nasty for no real reason, as if the guy had turned up to make the club fail on purpose. Like others have said he deserves to bite back, he was getting a lot of criticism before he'd even managed a game ffs. 

Also I doubt he really think's the Forest performance was decent, he's clearly not an idiot and showed last night he's very tactically aware. More likely he's deflecting criticism from the players, we have a very young squad and they have been in relegation form for basically a year, confidence in that team was clearly low and he's been trying to build it up. Hopefully these two wins have done that and you can see a few more players playing with a smile on their face and enjoying their football.

Turning round a team in that sort of malaise is hard to do, like he says there is no magic button, it's clearly taken a while. A bit of luck in the Palace game certainly helped I think, a win however it comes helps and then that led into last night's performance where it was a win and an excellent performance.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Screenshot_20230112-095632_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c5419206457a4f74802b18141ac81bbd.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Managers need time. Absolutely insane to start calling for his head after THREE games. It's not like we were brilliant before he arrived, some of the vitriol aimed at a guy who has come in to a difficult situation and is trying his hardest to turn things around for us has been disgusting frankly and he has every right to defend himself and give a bit back. Hilarious to see some of those same fans now getting upset.

Last night was an absolute master class from both the manager and players against the best team in the world. In the long run Jones may or may not turn out to be the right man for the job but if you can't even give him a a fair chance and just want to boo and moan then feck off and support that lot down the road. 

Well done Nathan, hopefully this can be the platform for an improvement in the league now.

I agree, managers do need time - but the fan base had every right to question his appointment having seen a load of disorganised hoof ball especially against Forest.....Jonny Wilkinson would have been well at home in our back line for the first few games. It was dire and the concern and vitriol directed at NJ was mainly down the brand of football we were seeing and the general impotence of the side. Even when we've been terrible over the past few years, it's not been that terrible. At least we were trying to actually use the midfield.

Last night was a breath of fresh air, so let's hope the tide is turning - the added bonus of the cup games is that it gives extra time for new faces to gel and to get some rhythm.....but personally, i'd rather the manager rise above it in interviews and stop biting back at the fans and comments made by outsiders. It'll only be worse for him if things don't pick up in the league.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I dont think anyone disagrees with the last three league games but he just deserves time and a proper chance. The majority of fans haven’t given him that. 

Ralph, tactically managed the club from the top to the bottom and that had momentum in only one direction. To start to change that is going to take a shit load more than 1 or 2 league games. 

he is changing the way we play, do people really think that is going to bring instant results ? I think the team that has given Man City the hardest games this year have been Brentford I believe. Maybe just maybe SR have a plan and people should give them a chance and not be so fxxking fickle. 

fair play NJ is giving it back a bit. I would  a lot more than he has. 

I am not saying he is the answer just give him and SR a chance and support them. The nervousness from the players against Forest was pretty much in synch with the moaning from the crowd about mistakes. I hope it has got worse so it can get better from the team. You hit rock bottom and then you get momentum up. 

We need to support and not moan so much. It will only accelerate whatever way we are heading in either direction. 

I was there last night and there were large parts of the game at two nil up when you could hear a pin drop. 

• Like 2

I think a lot of fans were underwhelmed by the Jones appointment but I was prepared to give him a chance and was optimistic coming back from the World Cup. By the end of the Forest game I was totally despondent and didn’t think there was any hope of avoiding relegation. Didn’t see anything from Jones that made me think he would be able to turn it round.

Finally we saw some progress against Palace, then last night was something else completely.

I think it was fair to criticise Jones as things did look very bleak. Some of the personal comments, wishing we would lose to bring about his demise were over the top and totally unnecessary.

After Forest we had not been given a glimmer of last nights performance and had nothing to believe in. We aren’t going to play that well every game for the rest of the season but we now know Jones can get a tune out of this team and that gives us, well me, belief for the rest of the season.

3 points Saturday will go along way to cementing that belief as, all said and done, we still haven’t got a single point in the league under Jones.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Managers need time. Absolutely insane to start calling for his head after THREE games. It's not like we were brilliant before he arrived.

Yep. anyone that witnessed the absolute fucking shit show at Villa park earlier in the season with Ralph at the helm would be inclined to cut the next guy a little more slack. We were turgid and have been in a lot of games for a long time.

Jones was slightly unfortunate in that the worst display in years coincided with us going rock bottom (which wasn't entirely down to him). It was inevitable that fans would be unhappy (at the end of the Forest game) no matter who the manager was. Add in that horrible display and fans bemusement at his appointment and you have perfect storm leading to "you don't no what you are doing" and "your football is shit" chants from incredibly fed up fans.

I didn't agree with either being sung at that point, but if you have been going week in and week out, you will have had the fun/optimism etc. completely squeezed out of you long ago - so it was the perfect opportunity to vent. That vent ought to have been pointed at the whole club, not just Jones, but managers are lightening rods, and get pad millions to take the shit from fans.

I wonder though, if this situation will have scarred him and if the relationship with fans will ever be there as a result?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

So what were his big tactical changes? All I saw was 4 at the back and a proper press. So it's Ralph Version2. Baz's long hoof was still there but this time we chased down that second ball.

Great thing is the effort by the players has demonstrably increased dramatically. They seem to be playing for him. 

Much more to it than that. 3 in the middle, allowing more freedom for JWP and more legs and numbers when we were off the ball.

The 'back 4' was fluid, it was a 3 at points and a 5 and a 4 - based on if we had the ball or didn't, that gave us a lot of flexibility in how we could attack and take risks as we had the assurance we had some cover. DCC and Salisu stuck, but it was Lyanco with more of a licence on the ball. It worked well, lots of noticable changes to the team shape throughout the game as well. 

The extra numbers ‘off the ball’ allowed us to close down any angles City can usually find, as we had the numbers in front of them. But in addition to that, the extra number in CM meant that we never became too deep or sat on top of our CB’s. We always made sure we had an out.

Tactically it was light and day to the Forest game, you could see what we were trying to do.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

I was there last night and there were large parts of the game at two nil up when you could hear a pin drop. 

Thought it wasn't a bad atmosphere to be honest - not exactly electric or raucous, but when is it ever like that? I was in Northam/Kingland corner. Where were you sat? I've found sitting anywhere south of the half way line is terrible atmosphere wise.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Yep. anyone that witnessed the absolute fucking shit show at Villa park earlier in the season with Ralph at the helm would be inclined to cut the next guy a little more slack. We were turgid and have been in a lot of games for a long time.

Jones was slightly unfortunate in that the worst display in years coincided with us going rock bottom (which wasn't entirely down to him). It was inevitable that fans would be unhappy (at the end of the Forest game) no matter who the manager was. Add in that horrible display and fans bemusement at his appointment and you have perfect storm leading to "you don't no what you are doing" and "your football is shit" chants from incredibly fed up fans.

I didn't agree with either being sung at that point, but if you have been going week in and week out, you will have had the fun/optimism etc. completely squeezed out of you long ago - so it was the perfect opportunity to vent. That vent ought to have been pointed at the whole club, not just Jones, but managers are lightening rods, and get pad millions to take the shit from fans.

I wonder though, if this situation will have scarred him and if the relationship with fans will ever be there as a result?

That’s what made me extra angry at Forest game, I was at Fulham we played some good stuff second half.

We passed it through midfield and put together several passages of good play.

Then Forest where we had no plan but hoof, no passion, no commitment and no idea or formations.

Last night was light years above and for me best was the player’s reaction at the end now look like they believe a bit.

Now need to do this in the league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Much more to it than that. 3 in the middle, allowing more freedom for JWP and more legs and numbers when we were off the ball.

The 'back 4' was fluid, it was a 3 at points and a 5 and a 4 - based on if we had the ball or didn't, that gave us a lot of flexibility in how we could attack and take risks as we had the assurance we had some cover. DCC and Salisu stuck, but it was Lyanco with more of a licence on the ball. It worked well, lots of noticable changes to the team shape throughout the game as well. 

The extra numbers ‘off the ball’ allowed us to close down any angles City can usually find, as we had the numbers in front of them. But in addition to that, the extra number in CM meant that we never became too deep or sat on top of our CB’s. We always made sure we had an out.

Tactically it was light and day to the Forest game, you could see what we were trying to do.

It will be interesting how this works against lessor sides. Away from home we can continue in the same way, but when we are next at home against a beatable side and the onus is on us, that's when we as fans start to get frustrated as we expect more. We are a lot more forgiving of long balls, hoofs, less possession etc, when playing City. Is Blackpool dominate possession like that, fans would be going spare. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

That’s what made me extra angry at Forest game, I was at Fulham we played some good stuff second half.

We passed it through midfield and put together several passages of good play.

Then Forest where we had no plan but hoof, no passion, no commitment and no idea or formations.

Last night was light years above and for me best was the player’s reaction at the end now look like they believe a bit.

Now need to do this in the league.

I suspect that if we could hear NJ's thoughts, he'd be equally cross and critical. That was a bad game for the manager. Poorly set up and he panicked with his substitutions.

Forest pressed like crazy, and defended Alamo style once they got their goal.

The team were applauded off the pitch at Fulham, as they had really played well second half. I think everyone was desperately disappointed that they regressed so quickly.

He's had his dig back now. Fans are eating a bit of humble pie. Vital we  Now we maintain this form.

He's now gained a little bit of trust from the fans.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

The big tactical change was getting JWP in a more advanced role and playing 3 in midfield. The 3 helped Diallo who looked much more comfortable. Lavia is getting back up to speed and was superb for his 60 minutes yesterday.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I feel conflicted. Without a doubt he has delivered one of the best results this century but he let himself down in his post match interviews showing no dignity which would have given him the higher moral ground. I’m not sure I am going to like him very much but I guess if he delivers on the pitch then who cares a hoot. 

To be fair he is Welsh which means he is genetically unlikable.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, saintant said:

The big tactical change was getting JWP in a more advanced role and playing 3 in midfield. The 3 helped Diallo who looked much more comfortable. Lavia is getting back up to speed and was superb for his 60 minutes yesterday.

Tactical change? Do you mean having lavia (and actual central midfield anchor) fit? 😅 It's been our issue all season with both Jones and Ralph. Our midfield is appalling when we're having tk rely on the likes of AMN or Diallo as pivotal defensive midfielders. 

Edited by Saint86

I am not sure Ralph Mk2 style of football is particularly a bad thing anyway, at our best under Ralph we were aggressive and troubled some of the best in the land, the issue with Ralph was maintaining consistency and getting the most of his players, which reportedly was down to his distance from the players and man management issues more than anything else. 

The issues with Ralph were not his style of football, IMO it went wrong because he tinkered and changed too much away from his best brand of football, it was more his man management and that then impacted the team's consistency on the pitch to carry out his instructions, to the point where we became wishy washy with no style.

An aggressive pressing team that gets in the face of the opponents sounds great to me, if Jones is trying to recreate that I have no issues, especially with a little more tactical flexibility to adjust as the game goes on and better man management behind the scenes. We know that these players at their best, playing aggressive pressing football can trouble anyone in the league and we got to the top of the table playing like that. Add in a sprinkle more quality in the final third to create a bit more and finish more often, and better man management going on and we should be successful with that style IMO. 

5 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I am not sure Ralph Mk2 style of football is particularly a bad thing anyway, at our best under Ralph we were aggressive and troubled some of the best in the land, the issue with Ralph was maintaining consistency and getting the most of his players, which reportedly was down to his distance from the players and man management issues more than anything else. 

The issues with Ralph were not his style of football, IMO it went wrong because he tinkered and changed too much away from his best brand of football, it was more his man management and that then impacted the team's consistency on the pitch to carry out his instructions, to the point where we became wishy washy with no style.

An aggressive pressing team that gets in the face of the opponents sounds great to me, if Jones is trying to recreate that I have no issues, especially with a little more tactical flexibility to adjust as the game goes on and better man management behind the scenes. We know that these players at their best, playing aggressive pressing football can trouble anyone in the league and we got to the top of the table playing like that. Add in a sprinkle more quality in the final third to create a bit more and finish more often, and better man management going on and we should be successful with that style IMO. 

I think  the main issue under Ralph was squad depth, and the tactical change after we would be awful second half because we were knackered and ended up throwing leads away.  We then curbed the high press a bit to help us to be able to get through a full 90 mins, but it took our effectiveness away. There is no doubt that that performance last night was up there with some of the best under Ralph.  Just makes you wonder what the absolute clusterfuck against Forest was all about when we were the opposite in pretty much every way. 

Edited by Saint Garrett

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Thought it wasn't a bad atmosphere to be honest - not exactly electric or raucous, but when is it ever like that? I was in Northam/Kingland corner. Where were you sat? I've found sitting anywhere south of the half way line is terrible atmosphere wise.

Agree, was towards back of block 38 and thought it was decent for most of the game, tense at times but got behind the team. 

Have been down the Chapel end / Kingsland South couple of times and it's eerie, people look at you if you start singing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saintscummer said:

I dont think anyone disagrees with the last three league games but he just deserves time and a proper chance. The majority of fans haven’t given him that. 

Ralph, tactically managed the club from the top to the bottom and that had momentum in only one direction. To start to change that is going to take a shit load more than 1 or 2 league games. 

he is changing the way we play, do people really think that is going to bring instant results ? I think the team that has given Man City the hardest games this year have been Brentford I believe. Maybe just maybe SR have a plan and people should give them a chance and not be so fxxking fickle. 

fair play NJ is giving it back a bit. I would  a lot more than he has. 

I am not saying he is the answer just give him and SR a chance and support them. The nervousness from the players against Forest was pretty much in synch with the moaning from the crowd about mistakes. I hope it has got worse so it can get better from the team. You hit rock bottom and then you get momentum up. 

We need to support and not moan so much. It will only accelerate whatever way we are heading in either direction. 

I don't think the club or NJ should be expecting fans to blindly follow without voicing an opinion. As fans we invest a lot of emotion and money into the club, but we get no say in how that investment is used. Rightly or wrongly NJ is an unpopular choice and should earn the backing of the fanbase - he and the club have no right to expect people's backing without challenge and if the club were in touch with the fanbase they should have known it was a difficult appointment and should have prepared NJ for a difficult start.

Had the club chosen someone more popular I think people would have been a bit more forgiving.

If the club appear to have made a mistake (whether true or not) fans should be able to vent their frustration just as much as giving their adulation when things are going well. 

NJ would do better to let his results do the talking rather than "giving it back".

Or do you think that fans should blindly follow the club's decisions without voicing an opinion?

• Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 22:39, Crab Lungs said:

Yep, but our sensitive fanbase can dish it out but not take it back when they’re called out.

I was ecstatic after last nights performance. Woke up this morning to read Twitter full of mummy’s boys complaining because he had been nasty to them.

Edited by manji
  • Like 2

In my mind I will give him the next 10 games and then analyze.

I was taken back by the performance yesterday we were super across the pitch so kudos 👏  showed alot of heart and grit to go at fhem and it payed off. 

Jury is still out with Jones as I said 10 games let's see where we are.

Hopefully we can build momentum 

We are such a better composed team with Lavia aswell 👍 

• Like 1

There is no doubt from the interview last night that Nathan Jones is pretty cheesed off with the fans and certain media outlets and their criticism of him and the personal nature of some of it.  However, I think the most stand out comment he made last night was when he said of that performance that the players have set the benchmark for the rest of the season and especially the league games.

He is spot on about that, the fact that Saints have beaten Chelsea at home and drawn at home to Arsenal in the league and now beaten Man City suggests to me that there is/has been an issue with the mentality of the players, whether it be only getting up for the bigger games and being complacent in playing the bottom half teams or having less to lose against the better sides.  I do think starting the game on the front foot like last night sets the precedent and the players need to be proactive in the first ten minutes to get the crowd on side.

Personally, I am all for being more direct, no not hoofing it but mixing things up and playing long when necessary and winning the ball higher up the pitch.  If you constantly go sideways and backwards in your own half and you don't necessarily have the best players to do that, you are asking for trouble and many of the goals we concede are our own errors, e.g. the Forest one!  The players need to be braver on the ball and look forward more than they do, it is all too easy to just play five yard passes sideways and backwards.  However, the fans also need to be more tolerant if players make mistakes trying to be creative and looking for a defence splitting ball that doesn't come off. 

I think Jones is a pretty divisive character, he seems to get under the skin of opposition managers and fans.  He definitely would not have been my number one choice and the jury is very much out for me but I don't mind someone who will get in the opposition's face and not be intimidated or bullied.  Right now, do I think we will stay up - No.  Do I think we will finish bottom - Yes.  Do I think we have a chance of staying up playing like last night - obviously yes.  I honestly think if the two new signings come in, make a difference and give the squad a lift, that could be a very important factor too.  A change in mentality from both the players and the fans is needed too. 

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!