Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Think we can all agree with that! If we do go down this year it will be as much to do with getting this latest wrong as it is keeping Ralph too long. 

If we go down this year it'll be down to appaling transfers from Reed and Wilson, years of stagnation and underinvestment from Gao and too little to late from SR. The managers are just a small piece in this puzzle. We've got pretty much the worst squad in the league, which means we will need an exceptional (rather than decent) manager to stay up. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If we go down this year it'll be down to appaling transfers from Reed and Wilson, years of stagnation and underinvestment from Gao and too little to late from SR. The managers are just a small piece in this puzzle. We've got pretty much the worst squad in the league, which means we will need an exceptional (rather than decent) manager to stay up. 

Personally I think if we had got a decent striker in the summer then Ralph would still be in charge and we wouldn't be in the relegation zone. 

• Like 30

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Man City giving Chelsea a spanking, might mean Potter is available soon....

Was thinking the same. Make it a proper mauling and they might have to pull the trigger.

Give Pitter a month off to sort his pay-off and Jones a month of proving the Palace result was down to 2 gifts not his tactical genius …

Maybe, just maybe. 

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Was thinking the same. Make it a proper mauling and they might have to pull the trigger.

Give Pitter a month off to sort his pay-off and Jones a month of proving the Palace result was down to 2 gifts not his tactical genius …

Maybe, just maybe. 

Probably have to be quicker than that. Am sure if Potter was sacked, West Ham and Everton would act

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

New chelsea owners apparently support potter as it's a long term project but Chelsea as a club are so use to buying success I don't think they will hold their nerve and keep faith in potter if this forms continues. Potter probably better off at a club with a long term plan and willingness to accept the ups and the downs. 

We were saying as much over on the other games thread. 

44 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I think if we had got a decent striker in the summer then Ralph would still be in charge and we wouldn't be in the relegation zone. 

Yep. That was the key fuck up. Think Ralph lost heart after we didn't get the striker he said we were definitely getting, and I don't blame him for losing heart in those circumstances. The Jones appointment is another issue but also a clear fuck up. I don't think we have any chance of staying up under him new striker or not, but if we don't get one in he has a legitimate excuse to point to.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Probably have to be quicker than that. Am sure if Potter was sacked, West Ham and Everton would act

He is highly regarded in Europe and may decide to get out of the kitchen for a while. There will be a decent European side available to him. Everton and Saints are way too toxic for him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Maybe, just maybe. 

A swap? 😬

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, macca155 said:

He is highly regarded in Europe and may decide to get out of the kitchen for a while. There will be a decent European side available to him. Everton and Saints are way too toxic for him.

I expect Martin and Rasmus will talk him round to the project.

Rasmus is probably drafting a few spreadsheets, and powerpoints for his 'Potter Presentation' as I type.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

That seems to be the fashionable thing to say at the moment our problems run deeper than that. Only one clean sheet this season, an error prone defence, a total reliance on an 18 year old in central midfield. People seem to think of we’d got a new striker then it’d be like Ings was smashing goals in for fun and ending the season with 20-25, the reality is players who score 20-25 goals a season don’t usually do it at clubs like saints. Absolutely a striker would have helped we’d probably have got a least a point at villa and Wolves but only one team in the bottom 6 has scored more than us, but we’ve got the third worst defensive record. Kind of says where our problems are

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

That seems to be the fashionable thing to say at the moment our problems run deeper than that. Only one clean sheet this season, an error prone defence, a total reliance on an 18 year old in central midfield. People seem to think of we’d got a new striker then it’d be like Ings was smashing goals in for fun and ending the season with 20-25, the reality is players who score 20-25 goals a season don’t usually do it at clubs like saints. Absolutely a striker would have helped we’d probably have got a least a point at villa and Wolves but only one team in the bottom 6 has scored more than us, but we’ve got the third worst defensive record. Kind of says where our problems are

Of course they do and I'm not for a minute saying our problems would have been solved at all. I'm just saying that so many of our games this year have been lost by the odd goal and imo if we had someone who could finish we would probably have something like six more points. Not enough to be happy with the telly but enough for Ralph to still be here. 

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

New chelsea owners apparently support potter as it's a long term project but Chelsea as a club are so use to buying success I don't think they will hold their nerve and keep faith in potter if this forms continues. Potter probably better off at a club with a long term plan and willingness to accept the ups and the downs. 

That's ruled us out on two counts then.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

so why do you think we didn't go for what is now, bloody obvious?

5 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

so why do you think we didn't go for what is now, bloody obvious?

We had a 1st choice striker and a 2nd choice that both turnt us down/fell through.... Apparently we had no 3rd choice on the list it seems.  Or maybe we never had any targets to begin with and it was a right royal f*!k up! 

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We had a 1st choice striker and a 2nd choice that both turnt us down/fell through.... Apparently we had no 3rd choice on the list it seems.  Or maybe we never had any targets to begin with and it was a right royal f*!k up! 

Which seems mental as every single player we get linked to is one we've been 'scouting / watching for ages'....

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yep I personally we put a load of eggs on Gakpo towards the end of the window and we had nothing else when he turned us down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

100% agree! SR really dropped a bollock by not sorting this glaring issue out.

• Like 2

Potter has to be sacked soon surely. If he is then I couldn't see a better fit for him than Saints. 

I would swap Jones for him in a heartbeat even if we get relegated he'd be great 

• Like 1

Potter has to be sacked soon surely. If he is then I couldn't see a better fit for him than Saints. 

Boehly has come out and said that Potter is part of his project long term and he's not bothered about results in the short term. I'd love Potter at Saints.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd add a far more experienced keeper to that too

Its not really a coincidence that our last 3 keepers have been poor as well as a shaky defence infront of them.. I agree Baz has had a poor season but GKs are only really as good as what infront of them and we’re absolutely terrible defensively and have been for years

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coalman said:

Boehly has come out and said that Potter is part of his project long term and he's not bothered about results in the short term. I'd love Potter at Saints.

This is all well and good until if becomes more evident that he’s lost the changing room… owners can have long term vision but 500m pounds worth of players won’t be as willing to wait it out

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This is all well and good until if becomes more evident that he’s lost the changing room… owners can have long term vision but 500m pounds worth of players won’t be as willing to wait it out

Maybe the Chelsea owner wants to challenge that mindset, which will make him stick with Potter even more.

10 hours ago, coalman said:

I'd love him at saints, sadly by the time he becomes available (or we have a vacancy) i think we'll be looking like a championship side and he'll likely be out of our league.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Maybe the Chelsea owner wants to challenge that mindset, which will make him stick with Potter even more.

Maybe… I do hope he does because sacking a manager every 6 months is ridiculous, but from the outside it looks to me like the players are starting to let him down

Ive got zero love for Boehly/Chelsea these days anyway, from the Tuchel sacking to hoovering up every ounce of anyone remotely showing talent

• Like 2

On 06/01/2023 at 11:33, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yes I did watch. It was as bad as Brentford away last season, which I also watched. If you’re judging the last 10 mins of games, I presume you thought the attempt to beat 9 men Newcastle under Ralph as bad. 

Don’t you think claiming Lyanco couldn’t get in the Havant side or Jones couldn’t manage in the Championship valid criticism, or emotional nonsense? 

Lyanco is amongst the top 3 worst CBs I have ever seen at Saints alongside Alan (Gordon) Bennett and the amusingly self-nicknamed Pedro 'Pele' Montiero.  He may not be the worst footballer but he is as thick as mince which makes him an utter liability given the absurd things he does every single game.

It's funny you mentioned Havant as 'Pele' was signed in the Championship but was playing part-time football for them a few years after Saints.

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Maybe… I do hope he does because sacking a manager every 6 months is ridiculous, but from the outside it looks to me like the players are starting to let him down

Ive got zero love for Boehly/Chelsea these days anyway, from the Tuchel sacking to hoovering up every ounce of anyone remotely showing talent

Chelsea are the most successful club over the last 20 years with exactly that policy with their managers

2 hours ago, Wiggles31 said:

No chance Potter would come to us. 

He probably would if he got sacked at Chelsea, can’t see him getting a bigger job after that. He doesn’t even have the name someone like Lampard can rely on. He would be looking at bottom third PL or top championship imo, which is basically where we will be. He is also a project manager and we are basically set up as project club. 

He's obviously aware of the fans opinion of him, he posts on here at the end of the day so he's seen it all!

Against Forest 'long ball' wasn't a myth, it's what I watched for 90mins. Long ball into the channels. Chris Cohen was even directing Salisu to do such a thing, at which point Salisu did it and then shrugged his shoulders (if anyone else noticed that).

We weren't long-ball against Palace, but Forest was pretty frightening.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!