Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

4 hours ago, St Louis said:

SR acknowledge internally now that they may have made a mistake in the Jones appointment.
Players reporting back to SR that systems are too complicated and not suited, causing arguments within squad.
Players/staff like Jones, but feel he is out of his depth.
With each defeat the discontent is growing within the squad.
I'm not sure what this means in the short term, but watch this space.

Interesting, thanks.  Weird though how it doesn't look like there's a system other than lump it forward and yet the rumour suggests players find this too complicated.  Perhaps a detail there that has gone a bit Chinese whispers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, derry said:

My biggest complaint is that he doesn't seem to realise that a selected team has a natural shape and will end up playing within that natural shape whatever the managers wish for it to play his preferred way.

His team selections have been wish lists rather than setting up a team.The following is purely a framework of players that will naturally play 4-4-2 or with adjustment play 4-3-3. We have proved there is no dynamic in the centrebacks that allows them to play three together so forget it. Pick the best and quickest two.

The full backs are not wingers and never will be, use them dashing forward recklessly and we will expose the centrebacks and goalkeeper. the full backs are defenders first and always so make them part of a back four that sets up that way and defends.

The midfield is the real problem. Failing a new midfielder, Lavia and JWP. Orsic on the left and from S Armstrong, Edozie, New player similar to Orsic , bring back Tella (covers left and right).

Up front Adams and a new striker.

That to me looks like a team that will play to its natural shape with the wide players tasked to get back and double bank the fullbacks as required.  It also demonstrates what a problem we have with the rest of the players apart from a fit Liveramento not worth a place. It also shows we could at the very least do with Orsic, new defender, midfielder and goalscoring wide player.

Jones picks the numbers and shoehorns in the players he wants to play resulting in a disorganised mess followed by chaos after substitutions. Football is a simple game and dossiers etc just confuse the players. A well picked naturally balanced team especially if it plays better than the sum the parts will always outperform an overbriefed unbalanced team.

Football is indeed a simple game. Pass and move. Play between the lines by coaching receiving players to move into those spaces. Avoid too many straight lines of players which creates angles and availability. Pass the ball crisply with pace with players who can control it with their first touch. Be brave enough to receive the ball in confined spaces and have the speed of thought to move it on quickly and efficiently - trust your team mates. Look to advance the ball forward with quick interplay and avoid too many negative passes. Pass the ball not the buck. It is not rocket science and should not be beyond the capability of s decent coach to drill this into even our players. The easy cop out is to launch the ball long and expect to win matches doing that which is where we are with this guy in charge.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Lots of noise coming out of the club! It’s toxic at the moment and players are wanting Jones out big time.

If my source tells me more I will let you know but I can’t keep hassling them :)

3 weeks is a long time in football - didn’t you say back in December that the players were loving training again and he was popular?!

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly this. Bunch of wankers, I don’t remember disliking a bunch as much as these mincers. Chucked Ralph under a bus, chucked this bloke under the bus and they’ll eventually chuck the next one  under as well. Until we clear the vast majority out we’re stuffed. 

It would be funny if SR said to them “we’ve listened, and sacked Jones”. Now meet your new boss and his asst. 

49F671B7-A4A1-48D2-9E4F-AFC5E1E96BC6.jpeg

45DDD9F7-B2EE-4DF3-AE59-C011FC1154B5.jpeg

Lord D's Wet Dream Team

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

image.thumb.png.15c19a444ab8f2774dccfa428b084d53.png

image.png.2776e8fac8a7da571327eb64289e2646.png

Isn't this the same poster who said Eddie Howe was going to become our manager a couple of years ago? And even went as far to say the date when it would happen? 

I think based on that we can guess the source as Alex Crook, and dismiss anything this poster claims as fact.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

3 weeks is a long time in football - didn’t you say back in December that the players were loving training again and he was popular?!

To be fair, the video suggested mad nate did tell the players to "enjoy it."

6 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Isn't this the same poster who said Eddie Howe was going to become our manager a couple of years ago? And even went as far to say the date when it would happen? 

I think based on that we can guess the source as Alex Crook, and dismiss anything this poster claims as fact.

He said way before Ralph was sacked that we approached Jones in the summer but he wasn’t ready. So I think it’s fair to say he clearly has a source somewhere, as that was so left field it’d be hard to have made it up.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

The Eddie Howe stuff is 100% true. We had him all lined up, we pulled out last minute and stuck with Ralph. I think if I remember rightly we had a slight uplift in form. 

He then went to Newcastle and the rest is obviously history. 

To be honest, I’m still amazed it never happened, but things change quickly in football. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Pilchards doesn't strike me as BS merchant. He posts in good faith, but that doesn't mean that what he hears is correct. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, St Louis said:

Senior Director level, I can't say anymore, sorry.
I thought it was just easy for us fans to make assumptions that didnt fit with reality, but I have it confirmed.

How senior 👀

SR may have made a mistake but no doubt they won’t change anything, KA comes across as stubborn

• Haha 1

Also it's perfectly conceivable for players to enjoy training at the time of posting, which from the videos at the time looked lively and proactive from NJ.

Now that results have turned as well as fan mood, very easy for the players to down tools.

1 hour ago, saintant said:

We don't need to listen to Stoke fans. Our eyes show us what is happening and it's not a pretty sight. SR wasted their chance to appoint a decent coach after sacking Ralph. Anyone who believes Jones will turn this around, given time, is living in cloud cuckoo land. The bloke is a dinosaur and the coaches he brought with him are not up to standard either. Time for SR to admit they've cocked up and cut their losses

Who would take a job, that basically is you have to take 18-22 year olds, make them better, play attractive football and oh as you build your team the better ones are sold.

Ok I wasnt over the moon us having NJ but boy do we make it harder for ourselves and the players by totally turning on him within a few games. Shame is that once people have made their mind up / listened to others and like sheep decide all is crap. Sometimes you get what you vote for and there you have Brexit

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, egg said:

Pilchards doesn't strike me as BS merchant. He posts in good faith, but that doesn't mean that what he hears is correct. 

No one will be 100% accurate if relying on snippets passed to them from sources, but Pilchards was the first one to post the name of Nathan Jones in the summer. His credits good with me. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Who would take a job, that basically is you have to take 18-22 year olds, make them better, play attractive football and oh as you build your team the better ones are sold.

Ok I wasnt over the moon us having NJ but boy do we make it harder for ourselves and the players by totally turning on him within a few games. Shame is that once people have made their mind up / listened to others and like sheep decide all is crap. Sometimes you get what you vote for and there you have Brexit

So you are saying the performance s against Lincoln, Brighton, Fulham first half playing with 5 at back and Forest should be ignored and just accept him?

When he starts saying us rather than they maybe some will warm to him more!

He was the wrong appointment SR had chance to get in someone credible Jones isn’t. 
Come on O N you know better than this the reason people are turning because it was a stupid appointment and he is way out of his depth and his tactics are non existant.

The 2 worst players at Fulham I was there were Aribo and Lyanco - AMN played 3 positions and he did fine and played ok.

Against Forest Lyanco started and Aribo came on AMN was ok to play 3 positions 3 days before but never got on pitch!

Thats not fans it’s an idiot who is way out of depth.

• Like 2

How can anyone feel sorry for Jones? He's continued more of his pathetic 'they' speak and is an utter disaster who's currently earning an astronomical salary, all while pissing away any chance we have of staying up. This ends one way and I don't think he'll be here for Everton thankfully. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Dman said:

The Eddie Howe stuff is 100% true. We had him all lined up, we pulled out last minute and stuck with Ralph. I think if I remember rightly we had a slight uplift in form. 

He then went to Newcastle and the rest is obviously history. 

To be honest, I’m still amazed it never happened, but things change quickly in football. 

This is spot on. In defence of Pilchards also I have been told similar i.e. Jones is popular with players and staff, much more so than RH was.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LGTL said:

I hope this destroys his managerial career. 

wow, that is quite a thing to wish for. The bloke had an opportunity and went for it. Im sure we all would, rather than say 'No thanks, Im going to turn down the massive riches as I dont think Im good enough' lol

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, OldNick said:

For £3m+ a year, on a four year contract? 

Er, me? 

And most out of work football managers outside the elite, I'd imagine? 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, LGTL said:

How can anyone feel sorry for Jones? He's continued more of his pathetic 'they' speak and is an utter disaster who's currently earning an astronomical salary, all while pissing away any chance we have of staying up. I hope this destroys his managerial career. This ends one way and I don't think he'll be here for Everton thankfully. 

I think you’re reading a little more into mentioning us in 3rd person than is intended and Tbh, Jones doesn’t strike me as the brightest bulb in the box.

I feel sorry for him in the sense of this is a little more sensitive given family connections etc. 

It’s not his fault we appointed him all reports suggest that this is his style of which we simply don’t have the squad for. 

He’ll be recompensated very well, but that doesn’t excuse the personal insults towards  a man who I’m sure is trying his best. 

He’ll bounce back I’m sure. Not at this level, likely the championship or L1, but he’ll manage again. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, LGTL said:

How can anyone feel sorry for Jones? He's continued more of his pathetic 'they' speak and is an utter disaster who's currently earning an astronomical salary, all while pissing away any chance we have of staying up. I hope this destroys his managerial career. This ends one way and I don't think he'll be here for Everton thankfully. 

That's a shameful comment.

The bloke has taken the opportunity of a lifetime, on life changing money. Nobody can blame him for it, and no decent human being should want his career to be destroyed because of it.

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, LGTL said:

You're getting a little bit too overemotional LGTL. 

He's not purposely come in to break us with an agenda, as others have said he's taken a well paid job like we would all do if we were offered it. It's not his fault he's out of his depth, the people who recruited him take the blame for that.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Badger said:

No one will be 100% accurate if relying on snippets passed to them from sources, but Pilchards was the first one to post the name of Nathan Jones in the summer. His credits good with me. 

Indeed. I'm not running Pilchards down, quite the opposite - he's a genuine poster who posts some nuggets. My point was that anyone who gets snippets occasionally gets fed info that's not completely accurate - that's no reflection on the poster.  

48 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

calls for ralph to return really reminds me of boris 

Ralph and Boris's popularity both hit new peaks after they were gone and replaced with errrr....... how shall I put this, questionable appointments.   

31 minutes ago, LGTL said:

The idiotic money rumoured to have been put of by the Saints Board will set him up for life. Perhaps ten years at Luton. You can’t blame the bloke for taking the job, but that’s zero reason to put up with what is clearly an untenable hire. Hopefully he can take all his supporters on here out for a Nandos for his leaving party. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a shameful comment.

The bloke has taken the opportunity of a lifetime, on life changing money. Nobody can blame him for it, and no decent human being should want his career to be destroyed because of it.

I won't destroy his managerial career, only Nathan Jones can do that, and he's doing a very good job at it so I doubt he'd care what I think. I couldn't care less what he goes on to do once he leaves us but yes, probably a tad overemotional of me in the moment of typing so I'll remove it. 

I don't blame him for taking the job whatsoever, he's now a very rich man so I'm not sat here thinking poor little Nathan. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly this. Bunch of wankers, I don’t remember disliking a bunch as much as these mincers. Chucked Ralph under a bus, chucked this bloke under the bus and they’ll eventually chuck the next one  under as well. Until we clear the vast majority out we’re stuffed. 

It would be funny if SR said to them “we’ve listened, and sacked Jones”. Now meet your new boss and his asst. 

49F671B7-A4A1-48D2-9E4F-AFC5E1E96BC6.jpeg

45DDD9F7-B2EE-4DF3-AE59-C011FC1154B5.jpeg

Wow what a call this would be 👍

7 hours ago, DT said:

Sincerely hope the board is sounding out other managers, with Dyche at the top of that list.

If they're following the same "data driven" approach that ended up with them going for Jones (5th best manager for outperforming budget), then Kjetil Knutsen of Bodo/Glimt (number 1 manager for outperforming budget) is surely a strong bet. Actually plays 4-3-3 as well, which would be nice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

The universal dislike of Jones is quite something. He's just so unmistakably small time.

I wonder if the reason Ankerson didn't pick up on it is cultural. All the Jones signifiers - the clothes, the thin-lipped smirk, the shouting and pouting - they're all distinctly British. The stench of loserdom just radiates from him, but maybe Rasmus couldn't smell it.

6 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

IMO Mad Nate 

LGTL (SINCE EDITED)

I hope this destroys his managerial career.

I agree the appointment was a poor one, and doesn't look like ending well, but come on we don't have to plummet the depths to the character assassination and some of the spiteful comments made, some filtering from his time at Stoke. I'm sure many of us have taken a job and found within a short time that it was a mistake, I'm out of my depth, or not what I was expecting.

The culprits are the people who appointed him, and are removed from the front line of supporters abuse (or at least think they are).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

To a degree I feel very sorry for NJ. He did well at Luton and was offered the chance to manage in the Prem. In the same way as good strikers in the Championship would jump at the opportunity to play in the Prem. I have heard the expression "Thrown under the bus" used a few times recently. This is what it feels like to me, but I am not sure why. I don't remember any major press conference from the club when he was appointed explaining the reasoning behind the decision, and nothing from the club to answer/respond to the fans concerns. It is all very strange......Silence definitely not golden in this case.....

I don't. Not one bit. Allegedly on £4m per year for 3 years. So after he's sacked for being the worst PL manager in history he'll probably walk away with close to £10m, for a couple of months work of being an abject loser.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!