Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

A couple of things came back to me as I watched the latest instalment of our slow motion car crash last night.

1) something looked up even before we kicked off against Lincoln. I couldn’t really put my finger on it but perhaps there was not the usual well drilled prep going on on the pitch. It looked like the players were just milling about and not getting the expected instruction from the training bods. No organised routines. It had a touch of a Sunday league pre match atmosphere about it. 

2) in one of the interviews at the time of restart Jones made a big play of having “done is homework” by watching 5 (maybe it was 6) of our previous matches on video. I’m not familiar with professional sport but this was after a 5 week break and my thought was - surely he should not have only watched every single game, but also with colleagues done quite a lot of analysis on all that play. 

The Premier league is about eking out that 1pc advantage over highly competitive opponents.

This guy has to go asap. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

The bit that resonates with me is when he says Lyanco wouldn't get into his Havant team 🤣

18 minutes ago, WestMidSaint said:

Very good listen. 

The bit that resonates with me is at the end when matey says he’s got to go “and that’s coming from another manager”.

So often in football players/coaches/pundits shy away from criticising each other. I think it shows how bad it is that he says that.

Furthermore, just think about the fact that the person saying that is someone who would be desperate not to have others speaking about him like that and will normally presumably be in the camp of “give a manager more time”. This isn’t some daft kid who doesn’t appreciate the reality of football. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The re writing of Ralph is getting laughable now. We lost 9-fucking 0 twice. We suffered countless other shellackings, we failed to score against a side that had 9 men for a lot of the second half. We went to a semi final and lay down and died, we had some performances every bit as bad as yesterday and he made a cock of himself when we actually had a decent win. He spent every trip to Anfield or City with his tongue up Pep & Klopp arse and he blamed the players when we lost. Criticise Jones by all means, but don’t try and make out last night wouldn’t have happened under Ralph. It did, frequently. 

Just goes to show, you can't take anything for granted in this game.

I had "mincing", "sons in law" and "in the mixer" on my Lord Duckhunter bingo card. Felt sure of victory, ended up with nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

2) in one of the interviews at the time of restart Jones made a big play of having “done is homework” by watching 5 (maybe it was 6) of our previous matches on video. I’m not familiar with professional sport but this was after a 5 week break and my thought was - surely he should not have only watched every single game, but also with colleagues done quite a lot of analysis on all that play. 

I thought that too, surely the first thing any manager would do would be to watch all the games. Mental that at the restart he still hadn’t bothered to watch all that had happened previously. He is so out of his depth it’s scary.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

A couple of things came back to me as I watched the latest instalment of our slow motion car crash last night.

1) something looked up even before we kicked off against Lincoln. I couldn’t really put my finger on it but perhaps there was not the usual well drilled prep going on on the pitch. It looked like the players were just milling about and not getting the expected instruction from the training bods. No organised routines. It had a touch of a Sunday league pre match atmosphere about it. 

The Premier league is about eking out that 1pc advantage over highly competitive opponents.

This guy has to go asap. 

It has been patently obvious that he hasn’t reviewed previous matches and players performances at all. He is shooting from the hip and going over so much old ground…. So unprofessional it really is very very baffling what he is doing here….

It really is bizarre… 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don’t talk fucking pony. We had Danny Ings during some of the shite Ralph served up. I’ll bet my life we wouldn’t have lost at Fulham or last night with him in the side. After nearly 4 years in charge, we’ve got the worst fucking squad in the league, that’s Ralph’s legacy. 

And Ralph had them 18th when he was sacked, so I’m glad you finally agree with me; he was overachieving.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, captainchris said:

It has been patently obvious that he hasn’t reviewed previous matches and players performances at all. He is shooting from the hip and going over so much old ground…. So unprofessional it really is very very baffling what he is doing here….

It really is bizarre… 

I considered it bizarre that he was still  critiquing our game at Bournemouth. That was weeks ago and nothing to do with you... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Weirdly you didn’t mention this when you were trying to get Ralph sacked whilst we were sat in 15th position earlier in the season.

He was probably too preoccupied sending off his registration application for this year's National Contrarian Convention...

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

The universal dislike of Jones is quite something. He's just so unmistakably small time.

I wonder if the reason Ankerson didn't pick up on it is cultural. All the Jones signifiers - the clothes, the thin-lipped smirk, the shouting and pouting - they're all distinctly British. The stench of loserdom just radiates from him, but maybe Rasmus couldn't smell it.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

That interview with Doswell is brilliant, pretty damning to hear another manager be so savage towards one of their peers.

I was impressed by his eloquence and passion. It really is a damning damning interview. Anyone who thinks Jones should be given more time should watch it. 

• Like 2

Doswell saying exactly the right stuff IMO (along with Adam Blackmore to be fair)

Slating Jones, Slating SR......

"Lyanco would not get into my team"

"literally hoofing the ball 70 yards to small players, over and over again - why"

"Look at Jones on the touchline, he is constantly biting his nails and has his head in his hands, he is so far out of his depth, along with his coaches.  I have sympathy but not much as he is on about £80k a week and will get a massive pay-off"

"The club has lost its soul. Semmens is no longer talking. Owners not speaking to us"

"I will be amazed if Jones took the job being told which formation to play.  Certain Ankerson is buying the players.  Where does a Croatian winger play in Jones' formation"

"Something is going on behind the scenes, many people have recently left - Crocker, butterfield etc"

"If Ankerson is influencing formation, may as well be the manager. Some of the decisions at the club have been very strange"

"Lets not be revisionist about Ralph. Majority of his time we loved him, but it was time for him to go"

"I wince when I hear Jones on the training clips in the videos.  It is horrific. Edozie and Lavia have gone from Pep to Nathan Jones telling them to be nice when asking for the ball - awful"

"Light show - my god.  I care about the club and the match the other night was just terrible"

"The genius that is Ankerson worked once.  This happens in business all over the show, works once then that is.  He is a self-confessed genius but it is going wrong now"

"Nathan Jones has been thrown under the biggest bus on the motorway.  He was brought into a level that he is not capable of dealing with. No where near the level required for the premier league.  He needs to go now and take his pay off and carve out a career in League 1 or the Championship"

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 9

52 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I was impressed by his eloquence and passion. It really is a damning damning interview. Anyone who thinks Jones should be given more time should watch it. 

Just watched it, damning indeed. I don't think I've ever heard a manager being so damning of one of his peers, and as Dossie points out about knowing your 'level', very damning coming from someone at a lower level of management than Jones. He came across more as a disgruntled fan, I agree with everything he's said but still a little surprised he was so open as a fellow manager. But his concerns are our concerns and this club is in trouble.

Edited by alehouseboys
typo - too early!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, captainchris said:

It really is bizarre… 

Yes, you only had to watch a couple of Jones "led" games to see he wasn't up to the task, was out of his depth, and to cap it off, quickly defaulted to the Redknapp strategy of distancing himself from responsibility,  and the use of "they" and "I".     But now we are getting a body of evidence trickling through which confirms many people's doubts.    The interview with a very credible Paul Doswell and a surprisingly candid Blackmore was damning indeed.

4 hours ago, bpsaint said:

That interview with Doswell is brilliant, pretty damning to hear another manager be so savage towards one of their peers.

“Another manager”.  A non league manager, you mean.

He’s not one of his peers anymore than my son (who plays a couple of levels down than Doswell )is a peer of Harry Kane’s. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

That is one damning interview. Blackmore sticking the boot in too. Doswell didn't go as far as to say that him and Ian Baird would do a better job than Jones and his assistant, but the sad truth is that they wouldn't do any worse. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s not one of his peers anymore than my son (who plays a couple of levels down than Doswell )is a peer of Harry Kane’s. 

To be fair, he is more of a 'peer' to Jones than he is to Klopp (in your analogy), given that Jones is so utterly shit his level is probably mid to lower level League 1.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The truth is they're on similar levels. Don't let the levels that they are managing at fool you otherwise.

Doswell (and his sidekick Ian Baird) are punching well below their managerial weight. They could manage at a much higher level but their respective business interests limit them to part time local roles. They've done brilliantly everywhere they've been, and only dropped from Sutton to Havant to be close to home/business. Jones on the other hand is punching well above his weight, and is literally out of his league. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, aintforever said:

Weirdly you didn’t mention this when you were trying to get Ralph sacked whilst we were sat in 15th position earlier in the season.

“Trying to get Ralph sacked” lol 😂 what a drama queen.

It’s because of Ralph we’ve got the worst squad in the league. The more they played under him the worse a lot of them got.  Salisu is a shadow of what he was when he first arrived, Stuart Armstrong going backwards, Bednerak was always pretty average, but he got (unbelievably) even worse. He continued with Prowse as captain when he clearly wasn’t up to it. To believe we were heading anywhere other than relegation under Ralph is deluded. His time had gone.

Some people on this forum want it both ways, blame SR for Ralph’s failings despite him having years to sort it out, but blame Jones for the present predicament despite only being in post a few weeks. The buck stops with the manager, Jones is responsible for the shit show he’s serving up and Ralph was responsible for the fucking awful legacy he’s left him. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s because of Ralph we’ve got the worst squad in the league. The more they played under him the worse a lot of them got.  Salisu is a shadow of what he was when he first arrived, Stuart Armstrong going backwards, Bednerak was always pretty average, but he got (unbelievably) even worse. He continued with Prowse as captain when he clearly wasn’t up to it. To believe we were heading anywhere other than relegation under Ralph is deluded. His time had gone.

Some people on this forum want it both ways, blame SR for Ralph’s failings despite him having years to sort it out, but blame Jones for the present predicament despite only being in post a few weeks. The buck stops with the manager, Jones is responsible for the shit show he’s serving up and Ralph was responsible for the fucking awful legacy he’s left him. 

I get all that, but for me, it's no more complicated than the club were too slow to sack Ralph, and hired an inferior manager to replace him. Sure, the squad is poor, but our best XI is capable of better performances and results than we're seeing. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Totally agree. And as bad a Lyanco has been at times to suggest that he wouldn't get in his Havant side is ridiculous and takes away any credibility from this interview in my opinion. DCC was truly woeful and kind of justifies why he was playing Lyanco. On a positive note for Lyanco, I would suggest it looks like he is one of the few that actually gives a shit right now.

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Totally agree. And as bad a Lyanco has been at times to suggest that he wouldn't get in his Havant side is ridiculous and takes away any credibility from this interview in my opinion. DCC was truly woeful and kind of justifies why he was playing Lyanco. On a positive note for Lyanco, I would suggest it looks like he is one of the few that actually gives a shit right now.

I think his Lyanco comment was slightly tongue in cheek. That said, players who've played for us over the recent ish past are struggling to get off the bench at national league level - Hesketh at Eastleigh and Vokins at Woking. I'm not convinced that Lyanco has more quality than those 2. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Havant & Waterlooville manager sees everything that we see 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just listened agreed with nearly everything he said... The telling point is the silence of those that run the club and complete disrespect to the fans... To use the woke words of the whinging ginge and princess pushy.. silence is betrayal! Seems fans and media are united on one thing Jones has to unfortunately go.... It's wether the crock of shit in charge can eat humble pie, I'm not sure they can! Jones should take his money and we should hear the words by mutual consent.... Don't think he would consider coming to our disaster of a club but persuade potter to come in and stick with him even if we go down... Which is looking more likely by the day! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

If you thought DCC was awful you must have missed his many clearances and trying to break through lines rather than aimless punts of Lyanco! DCC defends far better and reads it far better against Forest he was reading the crosses and clearing them.

Yes DCC left a few passes short but our midfield didn’t help hiding like they do. JWP had his back several times to play, Ely was hiding behind Forest players.

Sorry don’t agree DCC never puts in performances like Lyanco at Fulham yet gets picked because his ability to play that longer pass even though gets put into touch!

I can thump my chest, kiss the badge , show I give a shit but doesn’t mean I am up to standard and Lyanco isn’t he gives away stupid free kicks needlessly just to try and be over aggressive.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If Ralph was responsible for player recruitment I would agree with you but I'm not sure he was, he obviously had input but I doubt the final decisions were his - he certainly didn't seem to happy about signing a bunch of kids and no decent striker in the summer.

The lack of quality in the squad is down to lack of investment by Gao, Ralph was just handed the turds to polish, and at the moment it looks like he did a pretty good job considering we never got in a relegation battle during his whole time here.  

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If Ralph was responsible for player recruitment I would agree with you but I'm not sure he was, he obviously had input but I doubt the final decisions were his - he certainly didn't seem to happy about signing a bunch of kids and no decent striker in the summer.

The lack of quality in the squad is down to lack of investment by Gao, Ralph was just handed the turds to polish, and at the moment it looks like he did a pretty good job considering we never got in a relegation battle during his whole time here.  

Yet he said we'd had a good transfer window and he was happy with the team 

This is going to get more and more toxic with each passing game. He’s so hopelessly out of his depth it’s embarrassing. I genuinely don’t think Pompey would take him. When Jones got wind of our interest he surely must have thought it was a wind up 😂

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

This is going to get more and more toxic with each passing game. He’s so hopelessly out of his depth it’s embarrassing. I genuinely don’t think Pompey would take him. When Jones got wind of our interest he surely must have thought it was a wind up 😂

Didn’t we all !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Some of our players have gone from being managed by pep guardiola to Jones... Let that sink in 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yet he said we'd had a good transfer window and he was happy with the team 

He's not exactly going to say his squad is shit going into a new season is he? I think he mentioned the need for a striker before the window closed.

Ralph was far from perfect, I wasn't that bothered when he was fired because we were not great, but I still think the main reason we are where we are is because of the lack of goalscorer. Replacing Broja and Long with just Mara is kamikaze stuff, I doubt any manager would have had much of a chance.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I've just thought about the new signing with Jones' face in all the shots and the cringe quotes and it fills me with despair. This bloke needs to go before damage becomes even harder to remove. 

I feel the same, it’s going to look like a fan who won a signed shirt competition after eating 1000 packets of pickled onion Monster Munch. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He's not exactly going to say his squad is shit going into a new season is he? I think he mentioned the need for a striker before the window closed.

Ralph was far from perfect, I wasn't that bothered when he was fired because we were not great, but I still think the main reason we are where we are is because of the lack of goalscorer. Replacing Broja and Long with just Mara is kamikaze stuff, I doubt any manager would have had much of a chance.

I agree he wasn't supported with a quality striker the same as Jones hasn't been so far.. I'm not sure how much of a difference even a quality striker will make if your tactics and style of play are as bad as Jones though 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I feel the same, it’s going to look like a fan who won a signed shirt competition after eating 1000 packets of pickled onion Monster Munch. 

Ralph deserves a lot of criticism but he was clearly quite erudite abd intelligent considering English was his second language. Not so with this chap who seems quite unintelligent. 

• Like 2

Let’s not feel sorry for him. He’s anything but saintly. Man is an insane piece of work, duplicitous twat that has created the ‘god’ persona.

Know a Stoke fan who alleges he’s a horny womaniser, regularly popping back to the area to dip his little Welsh wick into the locals. 

Luton fans are the only ones that buy it. He moves anywhere else and he’s exposed in seconds.

He might have a few quid in his pocket after he relegate us, but that means fuck all when you’re a laughing stock.

Jog on rat boy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I'm really worried now... After Wednesday I thought he'd be gone before the Palace game, but he's still here, has shouldered no responsibility for the utter shite he's served up and is talking about being judged in a number of months. With most of the fanbase against him and with us getting worse not better this really isn't going to end well unless SR act now.

4 minutes ago, Colin Saint said:

Let’s not feel sorry for him. He’s anything but saintly. Man is an insane piece of work, duplicitous twat that has created the ‘god’ persona.

Know a Stoke fan who alleges he’s a horny womaniser, regularly popping back to the area to dip his little Welsh wick into the locals. 

Luton fans are the only ones that buy it. He moves anywhere else and he’s exposed in seconds.

He might have a few quid in his pocket after he relegate us, but that means fuck all when you’re a laughing stock.

Jog on rat boy 

I can see you’re on the fence about him 😂😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Colin Saint said:

I am sure some of the reprobates on here would say that is the only positive thing said about him. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Doswell (and his sidekick Ian Baird) are punching well below their managerial weight. They could manage at a much higher level but their respective business interests limit them to part time local roles. They've done brilliantly everywhere they've been, and only dropped from Sutton to Havant to be close to home/business. 

Fair enough. I didn’t mean to come over slagging the non league game. I know from my lad the dedication involved. He travels over an hour to training and travels miles on match day, and all for about £60. 

However, I thought his pile on a bit classless.  if  Doswell is  given the Portsmouth role replacing Cowley it would clearly be a step up. If within weeks a Wessex league manager was on local radio slagging him off, I’m sure he’d be pretty pissed off. Particularly if he was claiming a league 1 player wouldn’t get in his side. 

The pile on is a bit OTT in my opinion, particularly Blackmore. The bloke who sucked Ralph off every week and told us we should be grateful we’re in the top flight, is now giving it to us straight. You had Tessam (a woeful pundit) stating that Jones needs to play HIS system and what he knows, before slagging off 3 at the back. A contradiction clearly. You’ve got people bemoaning “hoof ball” whilst calling for Dyche. The obsession with failures of 3 at the back is ridiculous. When you don’t compete, don’t score, don’t tackle or don’t mark people it’s irrelevant what formation you play. I’m all for constructive criticism, but a lot is crossing the line. Bloody hell I dread to think what Lawrie would get if he relegated Ted Bates team in this era (and no I’m not comparing Jones to Lawrie). This has been coming to a head for 18 months, “soft as shite mentality” is in our DNA now. Jones should at least be given the transfer window and a couple of seasoned pros to see if he can turn it round. If he can’t I’ll be the first in line  with my pitchfork. 

• Like 3

Damning and spot on from Doswell, seems a bit harsh coming from a ‘fellow manager’ but I think he’s coming at that from a fan rather than manager.

Agree with Lord D though on Blackmore, really gone off him the last 12 months. Irony probably lost on him how he’s piled into Jones after 4 games but wouldn’t say a bad word about Ralph or Semmens over a much longer period. Also not forgetting the cringeworthy intro he gave at the fans forum. Think it’s clear he gets his info from Semmens (the bit he mentioned about Semmens being told not to talk anymore gave that away), and now he’s been shut out he’s piping up.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!