Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Livramento was out most of last season, Lavia played 7 games ABK played how many ?

Where do I think this squad would finish? Under a manager that had them motivated, fit and organised and could make substitutes correctly Ralph couldn’t 13-15th

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why are you ignoring the last 13 game’s a manager that couldn’t motivate the team should have been kept on in the summer? 

I've never seen a poster argue with himself before!! 

Ralph out by the way. Clueless, and turning us into an embarrassment. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've just seen another quote where he says it isn't entirely his fault which is true but what we should be seeing is some encouraging signs. Even if we were losing with that you could have something to hold onto. This is a serious regression on what was already terrible. 

This is retrogression. We're much worse than we have been in many years. It's sub Pellegrino. 

• Like 3

WhenJones was linked I was amazed and hugely disappointed. But after reading about him and listening to him speak I was willing to emotionally and with huge hope, give the bloke a chance. 

Any half decent coach/manager with 5-6 weeks (mid-season) would of ATLEAST instilled some sut of formation and defined methodof play. He is tinkering more than Ralph did, but with 0% of the skill he had. I wanted Ralph to go at the end but this appointment has very quickly turned into quite possibly the worst managerial appointment in PL history! 

Jones is like the managerial equivalent of Ali Dia!II

For the sake of everyone get reel now SR and go get Dyche or Martinez. I'd even take Gary Monk over this clown!!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

As do I actually. Talk about split loyalties.

Sunday afternoon tea is going to be a tense affair!

The host brings out a cake stand with 11 cakes on it. Everyone at the table except NJ, wants to position them in a 4-4-2 formation, to show him the error of 3 cakes at the back. Tense. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Where do I think this squad would finish? Under a manager that had them motivated, fit and organised and could make substitutes correctly Ralph couldn’t 13-15th

Not sure how realistic that really is when you consider the lack of quality in our attack and us missing key players, but fine.

But despite having those key injuries, gelling a new young team together, and having played all the best sides, Ralph was only 3 points off 12th when he was sacked... (game week 15) We were 13th for xG, and 15th for goals conceded. With winnable games like Fulham, Everton and forest etc still to come...

Obviously being 18th for goals scored highlights the real issue - the absolute derth of Premier league attacking quality. 

Personally, it was absolutley not worth torpedoing the season and club's future over it, not unless we had a top quality mananger waiting in the wings at anyrate. We were dropping points by fine margins and we are absolutely worse off now.

Anyway, it is done now. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I've never seen a poster argue with himself before!! 

Ralph out by the way. Clueless, and turning us into an embarrassment. 

I did change it to 86 as misquoted not calmed down yet !

After second half at Fulham had hoped but as soon as saw Lyanco in new another cluster fuck on way he was terrible yet starts.

Ralph and Jones do love Ely 

• Like 4

Every single Saints fan knew Jones was the wrong appointment, I even called bullshit and thought it was unthinkable when Pilchards said that he was our main target after Hasenhuttl

But, there has been plenty of actions made by the club in the past that I disagreed with and then got wrong and ended up eating humble pie and I wanted this appointment to be one of those and some untapped genius by the club.

However, it's now proven to be the joke appointment that we all knew it would be. We barely scraped a win against a mid-table League One Lincoln ffs. An offside goal and penalty not given gave us that win.

0 shots on target at home against 19th placed Nottingham Forest. Our first tactical substitution after 64 minutes and doesn't change the five at the back formation until the 85th minute when he takes off Lyanco for Armstrong.

Alan Pardew had a better record in this league than this Stoke reject.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I swear in every interview he's said something that basically amounts to "this lot have been shit all season, this isn't my fault". 

He’s half right. They have been shit all season. There’s a lot of hate for Jones which is understandable, but don’t give the players a free pass. They’re a bunch of fucking tossers. There’s a few hiding, bottling tackles and mincing about. There’s not being good enough, and then there’s not fucking stepping up. I ended up hating the bottle jobs that disgraced the club when Twitchy returned to Fratton that day, and I’m starting to hate some of these cunts. 

It is his fault, the buck stops with him. He was handed a bunch of fucking mincers, and they’re still mincing about. He needed to kick a few arses and chuck a few out. Do people think Fat Sam or Dyche would put up with it. No they fucking wouldn’t, but Ralph let them get away with it and now this bloke is too. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Not sure how realistic that really is when you consider the lack of quality in our attack and us missing key players, but fine.

But despite having those key injuries, gelling a new young team together, and having played all the best sides, Ralph was only 3 points off 12th when he was sacked... (game week 15) We were 13th for xG, and 15th for goals conceded. With winnable games like Fulham, Everton and forest etc still to come...

Obviously being 18th for goals scored highlights the real issue - the absolute derth of Premier league attacking quality. 

Personally, it was absolutley not worth torpedoing the season and club's future over it, not unless we had a top quality mananger waiting in the wings at anyrate. We were dropping points by fine margins and we are absolutely worse off now.

Anyway, it is done now. 

Winnable games…Ralph had already lost to bottom sides. Ralph was a beaten man look at his interviews at end.

The two things we agree on is our forwards and Jones.

Will say again sacking Ralph wasn’t wrong employing this clown and ripping up the clubs tactics for last 5 years across academy is.

I would put employing That bastard Redknapp above sacking Ralph for biggest Prem mistakes

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Winnable games…Ralph had already lost to bottom sides. Ralph was a beaten man look at his interviews at end.

The two things we agree on is our forwards and Jones.

Will say again sacking Ralph wasn’t wrong employing this clown and ripping up the clubs tactics for last 5 years across academy is.

I would put employing That bastard Redknapp above sacking Ralph for biggest Prem mistakes

I don't disagree Ralph was a beaten man by the end, but personally that was because he wasn't given the tools he needed and was facing ever mounting fan unrest. The guy could have gone after constructive dismissal being asked to stay in the league with Che Adams, Adam Armstrong, Ely, Aribo, and Edozie for his attacking options - quality wise anyway 😅. If he'd been given a quality attacker in the summer to finally replace Ings, this season would have been very different. Sadly it is all done now - Jones basically has a fully fit squad and can't manage a shot on target at home vs the 2nd worse team in the league, let alone even matching Ralph's performance metrics or bettering them. I simply can't see any way we stay up as it stands, and i can't see anyone good wanting to join us - certainly not whilst representing good value for money long term. And sadly I can't see Jones taking us back up either. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Badger said:

Quite simply, NJ has to go.

Feel sorry for him being so far out of his depth, the real culprits are those who gave him the job. 

Don’t think it will help his sanity staying much longer, especially if he couldn’t cope with the pressure at Stoke 

Agree and SR have now backed themselves into a corner. They find themselves in a very sticky situation - do they sack Jones or hope that he shows the traits they saw in him that frankly nobody else does? Either way they will surely have some explaining to do to Dragan because they are presiding over a complete mess and have also managed to alienate most of the customer/fan base. Not exactly how they like to perceive themselves and they risk losing a lot if not all of their credibility.  Without doubt they have been a disaster for this football club we all love.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Quite simply, NJ has to go.

Feel sorry for him being so far out of his depth, the real culprits are those who gave him the job. 

Don’t think it will help his sanity staying much longer, especially if he couldn’t cope with the pressure at Stoke 

Agree with all of this.

Needed a quality attacker at the start of the season and the job is untenable without that as a minimum.

Jones isn't up to it and that much is clear, but equally i'm not sure who is really now (that would come). It doesn't need to get personal against Jones, there is no need for that. But equally he really isn't the man to keep us up and i'm doubtful he is the man to get us promoted next year either. It just a terrible terrible appointment.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Our fans could barely muster a boo at the end and you're expecting a protest 😂

were you there? the fans not only booed full time and half time, but also at most sideways/backwards passes or mistakes. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

were you there? the fans not only booed full time and half time, but also at most sideways/backwards passes or mistakes. 

I wasnt no, but I watched the game and it sounded very subdued. Regardless, our watery fanbase arent storming the pitch or walking out of the ground any time soon. 

I don't think he'll be fired.

SR's stubbornness will see them give him well into next season to get results.

Trouble is, I, and I suspect most of the fans, don't see him as a Championship winning manager. I don't have the confidence he'll get us promoted next season. It's not just his football style, its his presence, image, the way he talks, how comes across etc. None of it cries 'winner or premiership level'.

Another manager now won't save us this year, but they could get half a season to get ready for next season's promotion push.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dellman said:

Yes, a playing career with Yeovil Town and a managerial career with Luton does not prepare him for Premier league. I'm sorry for the guy. Reminds me of the Sturrock appointment==and look how that ended

Yeah, with a win and 1.23 points per match average. :rolleyes:

I think you're confusing a very competent Luggy with the two losers Wigley and Saggy who followed him, the two clowns who got us relegated. That's who you should be comparing this tosser with.

• Like 2

Ankersun stand up and be counted - be big enough to admit this was a bold experiment that has backfired. Remedy it now please. This guy is clueless, even admitting the squad he's inherited is weak, I see not even a glimmer of a plan or a philosophy other than five at the back and hoofball to 5'9" striker who isn't a target striker anyway. No indication he has a clue about the strengths and weaknesses of any of our players. And no sign he has got them up for the fight.

• Like 1

I agree with those who say the players are partly to blame. HOWEVER, and it is a big HOWEVER, as a group of players they are seriously low on confidence and have been for some time. Obviously the system that Ralph was trying to drill into them wasn't working and, as a group, they could see it wasn't working and the confidence started draining out of them as week after week results were going against them. In effect, (and these are only my thoughts) they lost confidence in the system and in Ralph himself. Ralph persisted with his methods and things deteriorated further. Eventually, Ralph's tenure had run its course and in effect, I believe, he had "lost the dressing room". Ralph had to go.

What the players needed, was a new man. A new manager. Someone with new ideas. A fresh start. But most importantly, someone who would inspire them. Bring back the confidence and the feel-good factor. Someone with a track record to be proud of, either in management, or as a player, or even both. Someone who would come in and have the immediate respect from the players for his previous achievements. Someone with an air of authority and confidence about them. (This all may be spouting the bleeding obvious I know). 

The problem is, we get Nathan Jones. Immediately the players will say, "Well, what has he done?".......indeed, very similar to what all the fans were/are saying. And they are right. He has (as far as I know) no top-flight playing experience. No achievements in management. No Premier League experience at all. On the contrary, his only effort with a club who could be classed as similar in size/status to Saints, (Stoke City?) he was an abject failure. We know that. The players know that. My guess is, the players DO NOT and DID NOT want him there from the outset, so he is unlikely to get a decent tune out of them. 

I know as supporters, we don't get given the full picture, but really, WTF were they thinking of in hiring him. 

As I say, I've probably stated the bleeding obvious, and someone will no doubt kindly point that out to me, but I needed to say it......just to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening Doctor!  

• Like 3

I don't know what more to add to what's been said about that clown, not to mention the morons who hired him. If you haven't had a chance, please pop over and vote on the Jones out (or not) poll thread. Currently it stands at about 96% who want him fired now. I hope to wake up tomorrow morning with the news that he's gone, but I'm not holding my breath. Love him or hate him, Nicola Cortese would've fired him straight after the final whistle (not that he would've hired him in the first place), but the current Keystone Kops in charge are probably too deluded, or terrified of admitting they've made a monumental cock up, to do that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Is it too early to sack Jones? No I don't think it is. Bring in a Premier League stalwart who at least knows the league and has previously done OK. Who? Dyche? Smith? Allardyce? Someone that can come straight in and sort this crock of shit out and at least get us fighting.

SR would never ever sack Jones and replace him with an experienced "hard" manager like Dyche or Allardyce as any normal club would because that would be a huge blow to their pride and it would mean their methods were all wrong.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Ankersun stand up and be counted - be big enough to admit this was a bold experiment that has backfired. Remedy it now please. This guy is clueless, even admitting the squad he's inherited is weak, I see not even a glimmer of a plan or a philosophy other than five at the back and hoofball to 5'9" striker who isn't a target striker anyway. No indication he has a clue about the strengths and weaknesses of any of our players. And no sign he has got them up for the fight.

Was Ankersun even there last night. I am hearing he wasn’t in the Directors Box?

When Everton and West Ham dispense with their respective managers, will they go for Gary Rowett or Ryan Lowe, both from the Championship?

nope.  Why do we have to be so whacky and different?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sfcphilc said:

Genuinely not going to watch another game until he's gone. I'll follow AFC Totton more. My love for the club is at an all time low. Well done Sport Republic. 

This is what he does to you. 

He's effectively cosplaying at football management. 

When he leaves he'll be spoken of like that other famous Southampton fraud Ali Dia. Peas in a pod.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IanCransonsKnees said:

This is what he does to you. 

He's effectively cosplaying at football management. 

When he leaves he'll be spoken of like that other famous Southampton fraud Ali Dia. Peas in a pod.

I have been known to 'accidently' stumble across the occasional cosplay Reddit. Purely for research purposes though.

So, um. Thanks for ruining that for me.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

He’s still here then. Board must actively want relegation. 

That's a daft comment. No football club owner wants relegation. They just seem clueless and as out of their depth as he is. 

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!