Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

Its now 15:44 on Thursday afternoon and NJ is still in his job!  What will it take before he is sacked?  Will we need to be thrashed by both Palace and City, will that be enough?  I cant believe NJ was not sacked after that disgraceful display last night.  Everyone can see it apart from SR that is.  

• Like 2

Been thinking all day...what are SR seeing to keep him? What are the positives that he's brought in so far? And I cannot think of 1.

• The first team has got worse
  • The players don't want to play for him
  • The fans are unanimously against him
  • The pull for young players to come here playing like this will be nil
  • He doesn't fit the clubs "ethos" in the slightest
  • The club has less of a pull with transfers
  • The style of football is 10x worse than under Ralph
  • We would struggle under him if we got relegated unless we have a completely different squad
  • If we did build a completely different squad for a promotion push playing his long ball shite, and he did get us promoted, we'd get absolutely killed in back in the premier league

I'm just completely baffled by the appointment, and then why he hasn't yet been sacked. The whole thing is so weird.

• Like 19

If nothing comes out of this double cup round, Everton is his last chance to make it past the next league break...

This is a manager who has been allowed to start a season in November, with a full squad and zero background noise, not someone who has been thrown in the deep end with games every Wednesday/Saturday. Our run of games until Chelsea is the most accessible of the season, two home games in we have not got a point, not kept 90% of the same starting 11 once, and now no shots on target. 

No one can survive such a poor showing for longer than 7 games, 4 years or 4 months left on their contract.

• Like 2

So my thoughts for what they are worth

1. Our stated policy of buying young potential talents has backfired at this moment. The correct strategy for us but balance is key and we seem to not have good enough players around these future stars to give them time to come through. For instance Bazunu is likely to become a top goalkeeper [jury out still] but making him number 1 goalkeeper has weakened us this season and cost points this season. Edozie looks a prospect also but not ready to be helping us where we are now.

2. Hasenhuttl for me is a good coach. He did a great job for a while but in the end was beaten by lack of quality in the squad and certainly in hindsight now, the quality of supposed goalscorers/ striker signings.  We can say he should have gone earlier but he deserved some time this season. Perhaps with a striker signed we would be in a slightly different place now although probably was correct to call it a day when we did sadly.

3. When Nathan Jones was signed my instinct was wow what are we playing at, what a risky decision, someone is either brave and knows something we don’t [this is what I was hoping]. Or cavalier with the future of the club and just plain naive. My thing is to respect the people responsible and closer to the situation and give them a chance but already to me too many red flags showing to believe Jones can be a successful manager with us. Ie.

first game back after the break no material improvement, in fact we were rubbish. I put it down to the break and being rusty …but when Hassenhuttl took over I could see straight away what he was doing.

Against Brighton you could see they were a big step ahead of us must have been one of there easiest results they will have this season, still no sign of progression or definable pattern.

I have to say starting Lyanco yesterday was a massive red flag. Against Fulham he proved to me he should not be on the pitch with the situation we are in right now and sure enough he did what I actually expected. If I knew this why didn’t Jones? 

The training video saints PR department put out with Jones taking training with his whistle. I’m sorry but looked more like a school teacher with his young lads. Did he scream at one point and you can enjoy yourself Boys. If I was a professional player I can’t see I would be impressed with that bollocks.

finally his post match comments, “I am here because we are where we are”, “I was surprised by the fans boos” “I am not a miracle worker” and reminding us we were losing games before he took over like he’s abdicating responsibility of results since he took over and many other comments I have noticed tell me he’s not right at this level. This is with out seeing him largely ignored by the players screaming his head off like a headless chicken on the touch line. I am sorry [and sorry for him genuinely] but he is not of the required calibre to be managing a premier league club. I understand the financial implications of sacking him immediately but this has to be weighed with the damage he is doing to the team and I am sure at some point losing our best players that do not need to put up with it and hindering our ability to attract the right talent under him.

Apologies just venting as so frustrated. I think we are in deep trouble and I just hope we have the right decisions being made at this moment to minimise the impact of where we are heading.

Will be watching the team Saturday at Palace with 2 of my young Grandsons coming to their first match. I would normally say in hope, but not sure there is much of that left right now ……

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Genuinely think it may benefit us to get thrashed by Palace and City in the club. Very rarely want us to lose but we aren't going to win the Cups anyway so may be better if it helps to get rid of him. 

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me if the players are already doing it, not that they need an excuse to be absolutely shit. 

• Haha 1

If this is true (it’s been pinched from twitter so a grain of salt), and we’re appointing managers based on this ridiculous logic, then I think I’d rather Le Tiss running the national vaccine roll out than have these 2 fucking morons running our club. 

A84973A9-C1C2-4C7E-9350-B0FBE5D7D52F.jpeg

Edited by Dman
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

If this is true (it’s been pinched from twitter so a grain of salt), and we’re appointing managers based on this ridiculous logic, then I think I’d rather Le Tiss running the national vaccine roll out than have these 2 fucking morons running our club. 

To be fair that's probably taken out of context somewhat. I expect they mean that a failure is probably less important than what you've learnt from that failure and that a previous failure does not necessarily mean you should be dismissed as a candidate which is true. My issue with Jones is not so much that he's failed before but more that his style and tactical knowledge is so clearly lacking. He's just not good enough to be a Premier league manager. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair that's probably taken out of context somewhat. I expect they mean that a failure is probably less important than what you've learnt from that failure and that a previous failure does not necessarily mean you should be dismissed as a candidate which is true. My issue with Jones is not so much that he's failed before but more that his style and tactical knowledge is so clearly lacking. He's just not good enough to be a Premier league manager. 

Either way they are trying to be too clever by half if true.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tillerp said:

Blackmore interviewing Paul Doswell (Eastleigh, current Havant Mgr and lifelong saints fan) on Solent. Calling jones and our shoddy players out in every way possible. Defo worth a listen. 

Looks like KWP coming on not sure if live assume recorded comments 

3 hours ago, croydonsaint said:

So my thoughts for what they are worth

1. Our stated policy of buying young potential talents has backfired at this moment. The correct strategy for us but balance is key and we seem to not have good enough players around these future stars to give them time to come through. For instance Bazunu is likely to become a top goalkeeper [jury out still] but making him number 1 goalkeeper has weakened us this season and cost points this season. Edozie looks a prospect also but not ready to be helping us where we are now.

2. Hasenhuttl for me is a good coach. He did a great job for a while but in the end was beaten by lack of quality in the squad and certainly in hindsight now, the quality of supposed goalscorers/ striker signings.  We can say he should have gone earlier but he deserved some time this season. Perhaps with a striker signed we would be in a slightly different place now although probably was correct to call it a day when we did sadly.

3. When Nathan Jones was signed my instinct was wow what are we playing at, what a risky decision, someone is either brave and knows something we don’t [this is what I was hoping]. Or cavalier with the future of the club and just plain naive. My thing is to respect the people responsible and closer to the situation and give them a chance but already to me too many red flags showing to believe Jones can be a successful manager with us. Ie.

first game back after the break no material improvement, in fact we were rubbish. I put it down to the break and being rusty …but when Hassenhuttl took over I could see straight away what he was doing.

Against Brighton you could see they were a big step ahead of us must have been one of there easiest results they will have this season, still no sign of progression or definable pattern.

I have to say starting Lyanco yesterday was a massive red flag. Against Fulham he proved to me he should not be on the pitch with the situation we are in right now and sure enough he did what I actually expected. If I knew this why didn’t Jones? 

The training video saints PR department put out with Jones taking training with his whistle. I’m sorry but looked more like a school teacher with his young lads. Did he scream at one point and you can enjoy yourself Boys. If I was a professional player I can’t see I would be impressed with that bollocks.

finally his post match comments, “I am here because we are where we are”, “I was surprised by the fans boos” “I am not a miracle worker” and reminding us we were losing games before he took over like he’s abdicating responsibility of results since he took over and many other comments I have noticed tell me he’s not right at this level. This is with out seeing him largely ignored by the players screaming his head off like a headless chicken on the touch line. I am sorry [and sorry for him genuinely] but he is not of the required calibre to be managing a premier league club. I understand the financial implications of sacking him immediately but this has to be weighed with the damage he is doing to the team and I am sure at some point losing our best players that do not need to put up with it and hindering our ability to attract the right talent under him.

Apologies just venting as so frustrated. I think we are in deep trouble and I just hope we have the right decisions being made at this moment to minimise the impact of where we are heading.

Will be watching the team Saturday at Palace with 2 of my young Grandsons coming to their first match. I would normally say in hope, but not sure there is much of that left right now ……

Why? What had he shown Before to deserve time this season? The run of form was beyond appalling much like our form now, He should have gone in The summer it was plain for all to see!

• Like 1

On a slightly different Jones topic - I was 'lucky' enough to live in Somerset 15 years ago and got to see him play many times for Yeovil (with Chris Cohen) - so have probably seen him play many times more than any other Saints fan. In the 2006/7 season, under the management of Russell Slade, the football was absolutely dire and epitomised by Jones bombing up to the halfway line (he was always very quick and ridiculously fit) and launching the ball repeatedly towards the edge of the box. Here, sole striker 5'8" Paul Warne (now manager of Derby Co.) would inevitably lose the ball and the process would be repeated. It was truly awful to watch, but, in came Leon Best on loan (10 goals in 15 games) and Lee Morris had a lengthy period of being fit, somehow YT ended up in the play-offs (the 5-2 win at Forest is worth watching on YouTube and probably one of the best games I have ever seen). They went on to lose 2-0 against Blackpool at Wembley.

It does make me wonder how much wonder how much the 'success' of this period has shaped his mindset towards the game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dman said:

By that logic we'd never be interesting in Guardiola.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

It was Mick Harford who got Luton promoted to the Championship while Jones was taking Stoke to the bottom of it. Every manager who's replaced Nathan Jones has done better than him: Mick Harford at Luton, Michael O'Neill at Stoke and now Rob Edwards at Luton.  At least that's something for us to look forward to.

Nobody in his right mind would have appointed Nathan Jones as a Premier League manager after what he did at Stoke. 

Had anybody noticed that when he leaves Luton don't seem to miss Jones 🤷

So not sacked in the morning , No transfer deals either ... Its all crap .

I have supported Saints since 1974 but have recently taken to posting here and can only make 2 posts per day at the moment so I cant reply to the 30 comments .

Jones must go desperate football ,every league game he stays condems us to the Championship

This will be the last time I say Ralph would have been the  better option till the end of the season or the club spent some money on his side.

The supporters called for the end of Ralph and look what we got ... I don`t know how the club will get out of this situation .

Just no urgency from the board to stop 7 weeks of devestation to a great club and its their baby , just what are they thinking .. Just to crazy to comprehend !

Ive been thinking about it, and about the Ralph situation.. and yes, sacking Ralph when we did WAS the right call, he had done what he could and we looked beaten under him.. I still think backed properly he would of still been here, but also fully understand why a hard reset in the summer was also an option, however;

To briefly sum up the tenures of the two I’d frame it like this..

- Under Ralph we looked like a team that was arguably doing the right thing, yes if needed Lavia on the pitch but ultimately it was a team that needed a striker/creative midfielder to be largely capable in this league

- Under Jones we genuinely look like a squad thats come up from the Championship, devoid of ideas and mentally down already

And this is the issue for me.. we’ve completely gone backwards… we need to end this experiment now whilst we have the slimest of chance to battle out if this

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive been thinking about it, and about the Ralph situation.. and yes, sacking Ralph when we did WAS the right call, he had done what he could and we looked beaten under him.. I still think backed properly he would of still been here, but also fully understand why a hard reset in the summer was also an option, however;

To briefly sum up the tenures of the two I’d frame it like this..

- Under Ralph we looked like a team that was arguably doing the right thing, yes if needed Lavia on the pitch but ultimately it was a team that needed a striker/creative midfielder to be largely capable in this league

- Under Jones we genuinely look like a squad thats come up from the Championship, devoid of ideas and mentally down already

And this is the issue for me.. we’ve completely gone backwards… we need to end this experiment now whilst we have the slimest of chance to battle out if this

I liked Ralph, not going to hide from that. I was sad to see him go but it did get to the point where it was recognisable that change was needed, but the problem is they've made the wrong change.

Like you said under Ralph we had a plan, our identity somewhat diluted this season, but you could still see the basis of what we were trying to do. Had he been given a goal scorer in the summer and another wide player we would be having a different chat right now in my opinion, but that's where we are.

We have been poor all year, but the games since we've come back have been worse than anything I've seen in many, many, many years - going back to the Wotte and Poortvliet days. From having a somewhat diluted identity to having no identify, after having worked with the team for 6 weeks, is a huge, huge concern.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

The re writing of Ralph is getting laughable now. We lost 9-fucking 0 twice. We suffered countless other shellackings, we failed to score against a side that had 9 men for a lot of the second half. We went to a semi final and lay down and died, we had some performances every bit as bad as yesterday and he made a cock of himself when we actually had a decent win. He spent every trip to Anfield or City with his tongue up Pep & Klopp arse and he blamed the players when we lost. Criticise Jones by all means, but don’t try and make out last night wouldn’t have happened under Ralph. It did, frequently. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The re writing of Ralph is getting laughable now. We lost 9-fucking 0 twice. We suffered countless other shellackings, we failed to score against a side that had 9 men for a lot of the second half. We went to a semi final and lay down and died, we had some performances every bit as bad as yesterday and he made a cock of himself when we actually had a decent win. He spent every trip to Anfield or City with his tongue up Pep & Klopp arse and he blamed the players when we lost. Criticise Jones by all means, but don’t try and make out last night wouldn’t have happened under Ralph. It did, frequently. 

Im not sure Ivd re written Ralph anywhere tbh

But the point is still valid… the argument from most reasoned viewers was the side was arguably a striker/No.10 from competing… we are miles from that now

Ralph, especially towards the end was awful.. infact he went downhill when we moved away from his intense gagenpressing style (enforced really due to squad depth) but I struggle to believe anybody genuinely believes we’d be any worse currently under Ralph then Jones

And before you tackle the man and not the ball.. no.. I am not suggesting keeping Ralph on was the answer

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Havant & Waterlooville manager sees everything that we see 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fascinating to hear someone in the game to be quite so frank. Difficult to disagree with anything. There is nothing in how Nathan Jones operates that suggests he is anywhere near the level required to be a Premier League manager. 

He has to go.  Did the owners go for him because he didn’t warrant a high payday?  

My worry is this, it’s a well known fact that whoever is at the bottom at Christmas is very, very likely to be relegated.  Our downfall began at the sale of the club to the Chinese now to Eastern Europeans. Disaster.

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

But the point is still valid… the argument from most reasoned viewers was the side was arguably a striker/No.10 from competing… 

Don’t talk fucking pony. We had Danny Ings during some of the shite Ralph served up. I’ll bet my life we wouldn’t have lost at Fulham or last night with him in the side. After nearly 4 years in charge, we’ve got the worst fucking squad in the league, that’s Ralph’s legacy. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don’t talk fucking pony. We had Danny Ings during some of the shite Ralph served up. I’ll bet my life we wouldn’t have lost at Fulham or last night with him in the side. After nearly 4 years in charge, we’ve got the worst fucking squad in the league, that’s Ralph’s legacy. 

For whatever limitations in tactics and selection, I think the legacy is Semmens and those responsible for recruitment 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The Havant & Waterlooville manager sees everything that we see 🤷🏻‍♂️

That is very damning, even Adam was laying the boot in. Hard to argue against any of the points made. I fully agree with the levels argument, and again its nothing against Jones as it was a fantastic opportunity for him, but hes probably beginning to realise that this job is beyond his capabilities. Problem also is that the players will be alive to social media and the negative perceptions of the manager already.

Doswell rightly criticised the lack of identity and structure under Jones but I didnt like him laying into the training clip. Every manager has his style/preference on how he communicates. Yes it may have looked very basic but everybody can see/hear that our talking on the pitch is non existent at times, so nothing wrong with Jones trying to emphasise that. It is obviously different to what Doswell does on the training ground, but Jones has been successful at a higher level, so its obviously worked in the past for him.

One thing is for sure....Doswell definitely posts on here 😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d rather have Doswell in the dressing room.

Nathan Jones shuffling on the touch line last night like a piss head looking for a fight outside a club.

Ever been to Merthyr or the Valleys  for a night out or even closing time on a midweek afternoon ? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Genuinely think it may benefit us to get thrashed by Palace and City in the club. Very rarely want us to lose but we aren't going to win the Cups anyway so may be better if it helps to get rid of him. 

Two cups we won’t win anyway. Might as well get it out of the way. 

16 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

He's on £4m a season, which is £80k a week. Over 3.5 years that's £14.5m. Can you actually believe it? Plus the rumoured £10m to pay off Ralph. I just.. I give up. 

Huge money for sure.  But in reality it would not cost us the entire contract sum.  Yes a decent chunk of it, but there would be negotiations as any employee whether on fixed term or not can be dismissed for sustained underperformance.  The issue here of course is that it is hard to evidence that in employment law after short spell.

So in reality it would be a big seven figure some I expect but nothing like £14 million 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Very good listen. 

The bit that resonates with me is at the end when matey says he’s got to go “and that’s coming from another manager”.

So often in football players/coaches/pundits shy away from criticising each other. I think it shows how bad it is that he says that.

Furthermore, just think about the fact that the person saying that is someone who would be desperate not to have others speaking about him like that and will normally presumably be in the camp of “give a manager more time”. This isn’t some daft kid who doesn’t appreciate the reality of football. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

He's on £4m a season, which is £80k a week. Over 3.5 years that's £14.5m. Can you actually believe it? Plus the rumoured £10m to pay off Ralph. I just.. I give up. 

I was surprised they offered him that much and that long. I can’t believe he was on anything like that at Luton. Maybe £20k (ish)???

Anyone with any savy would’ve offered him £30k, with a view to dealing at £40k if necessary for 2.5 years. It’s not like he wouldn’t have come I bet. You could even have offered some juicy bonus based on survival this year and then improved league  position at the end of next season. Loading the contract with bonuses would also presumably mitigate our liability when the chancer gets the sack. 

It’s like they’ve not only been duped by hiring a dud, but they’ve also had their pants pulled down in the process. Mugs!

I tuned in and heard Darren Bent talking about Les Reed's time in charge of Charlton. He talked about this very short reign, and that he didn't score during it.

He said that the team were at a low ebb, that didn't help at all. But that they looked at Les and thought he was basically a fill in, rather than anyone who would be capable of getting them out of it. With that reaction in place, it didn't go at all well. Not to mention Les' actual skill levels at that job.

I was a little surprised that they then went back to Nathan Jones, which is why Reed came up apparently. Surprised in that I didn't realise this was now being discussed that widely. They mentioned a few other short lived managers and said that Jones was already a contender to go, along with Lampard.

On Ralph:

We played some great stuff with him in charge.

It was built on an approach that was very focussed and system based.

That doesn't suit all players / personalities, but there's buy in when it's going well.

Ralph was unfortunate that the resources were never made available to him to progress with that system during that first period of it.

It would have been sad, but understandable if he had been let go after the first slump. He was possibly fortunate that no pennies, also included pay offs.

A refreshed team went on a cracking second run, again with limited resources. Ralph was again unfortunate that he had to make do.

After RalphBall was found out, it would have been sad, but understandable if he had been let go at any point from the last third of last season.

He, and the new owners, could look at previous success, previous bounce back, improved incoming investment, a RalphBall identity across the club.

I can see why he was kept into this season, and considering what he'd done it would have been great if he had reinvented the system. But since we offered absolutely nothing during our last slump, it could just as easily have been him going with the back room staff.

He did well getting an early season tune out of the side with Broja last time. This season, we lost to fine margins. We'll just not know how much the lack of getting in strikers has cost us. It would have changed not just outcomes, but shape, tactics and possession.

With the club looking to trim the wage bill (which isn't a terrible thing if it can be planned well),we won't know how much he wanted to keep Romeu, or Redmond. How much he bought into the recruitment of the summer (I can recall Adams being dropped, ahead of our new attacking arrivals, as if alerting him to other clubs). And certainly about that 3 centre half mess. That lack of doing it all his own way looked to have an impact, particularly when he wasn't given what was needed.

Excellent young players brought in, utterly undone by giving the team no attacking outlets, and losing one of our best in a key position.

Jones has inherited a side trained to a certain style, in a set system under a certain personality.

He has a different style, with players even less suited to get results from it, and with the same glaring deficiencies as before.

He's not a bad person or manager in this situation. He's not wrong to take the job or believe he can turn it round. It's an uphill battle from before his first day.

But going back to Darren Bent's comment, we needed someone to come in, inspire and have the depth of knowledge and experience at this level to drive through some results until reinforcements could be brought in.

We did not need to risk the top level future of the club, and many employees, on someone's pipe dream of a long term project.

If the club aren't going to change managers, I can only hope Jones is given the attacking options that Ralph was denied. Then we'll see if we've even got a fighting chance.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!