Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

From what I’ve seen there’s very little chance of that. Jones is appalling at every level. I would prefer the seemingly rational and organised Selles over Jones all day long. Selles in and then look to bring in an experienced manager to train this squad, and go down with some fight and dignity would probably be the best we can hope for now. 

He's obviously not appalling at every level. He took a team from a League Two relegation battle to a Championship playoff final. May now be out of his depth but he has clearly excelled in the lower leagues.

I feel we need points on the board by 04/03 with fixtures between now and then against Everton, Villa, Wolves, Leeds and Leicester. I fear that SR will keep faith with the manager until it is far too late. He needs to go immediately and someone appointed who can attract players in the transfer window and get some level of improvement from the existing squad. Just someone with a degree of competence, please, before it's too late........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's obviously not appalling at every level. He took a team from a League Two relegation battle to a Championship playoff final. May now be out of his depth but he has clearly excelled in the lower leagues.

As a manager, in…the…Premier League…

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Maybe not appalling at every level, but clearly appalling at this level.    And would likely be appalling at Championship level too, which is where he is taking us.

13 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

From what I’ve seen there’s very little chance of that. Jones is appalling at every level. I would prefer the seemingly rational and organised Selles over Jones all day long. Selles in and then look to bring in an experienced manager to train this squad, and go down with some fight and dignity would probably be the best we can hope for now. 

I'd like a manager to get us organised first of all and solid at the back. I'd like us to get in some solid signings in this window and then even if we were to go down this year get a bit of momentum back for next year. I'd certainly like some positivity and direction and this manager is giving the opposite of thst- he's also incredibly dislikable. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd like a manager to get us organised first of all and solid at the back. I'd like us to get in some solid signings in this window and then even if we were to go down this year get a bit of momentum back for next year. I'd certainly like some positivity and direction and this manager is giving the opposite of thst- he's also incredibly dislikable. 

We need someone like Benetitz. Top level experience. Can organise and have a proper game plan. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Being realistic, when do you think the club will sack him?

I think they'll wait until we've done our business in January and if there's no improvement then they'll get rid. If we keep on losing surely something has to give

Does anyone think Dragan will sanction spending money on transfers while this idiot Jones is still in charge? It would be madness upon madness. I am sure he will have his finger on the pulse and right now he has some huge decisions to make which will dictate where the club, his club goes from here. It's his money not SR's as far as I'm aware.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We need someone like Benetitz. Top level experience. Can organise and have a proper game plan. 

Yep Benitez would be a cracking appointment. I'd also take Dyche who would do a job in the championship or even with a bit of desperation someone like big Sam. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, saintant said:

Does anyone think Dragan will sanction spending money on transfers while this idiot Jones is still in charge? It would be madness upon madness. I am sure he will have his finger on the pulse and right now he has some huge decisions to make which will dictate where the club, his club goes from here. It's his money not SR's as far as I'm aware.

As much of a prick that he was, you just know that if this was Cortese this bloke would be out now. He'd be decisive when required.

• Like 7

He's ben very quick to point the finger at some players, deflecting any blame from himself. But bloody hell he's the twat who has picked Lyanco every bloody game. Trust us to end up with the only Brazilian who cant pass a fkin football  

I havent seen any signs of this man management we were promised.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Couldn't watch the game last night (probably a good thing) but seen the others and they've mostly been awful.  For all this talk of identity and style of play, I've seen no evidence of it and really doesn't appear to be much different to how we were playing earlier in the season.  The three at the back doesn't seem to work and least Ralph mostly figured that out but the fact Jones is persevering with it is a worrying sign.

In situations like this good managers don't seem to be overly concerned with imposing their own style or anything else radical.  Instead they concentrate on getting players motivated, fighting and scrapping for the ball.  Strachan did it and so did Ralph when he first arrived but after six weeks Jones hasn't managed to get anything looking like a fighting mentality and that's my biggest concern.  If you're being generous you'd say that was more a problem with the players than the manager but buck stops with Jones and so far it's been a disaster with no signs of optimism. 

• Like 4

People seem to be missing the point that the club is owned by Dragan - it's his money on the line so if he wants Jones and even SR bombed out then they will be. He surely won't sit on his hands while this lot burn through his investment. Time you acted Dragan.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, saintant said:

People seem to be missing the point that the club is owned by Dragan - it's his money on the line so if he wants Jones and even SR bombed out then they will be. He surely won't sit on his hands while this lot burn through his investment. Time you acted Dragan.

He's Dragan his heels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Sticking with a back 3/5 despite it consistently and repeatedly not working, picking Lyanco over DCC (despite DCC being our oldest and most experienced CB and experience being something Jones bemoans a lack of), Elyounoussi being a guaranteed first name on the team sheet over Stu Armstrong, hoofball when our entire squad was built for the high press (and pressing actually paying off when we do it) - it's just a complete shambles. I have never seen Saints so unsure of how to do even the fundamentals of passing, let alone having confidence in a game plan. This feels much, much worse then the 2004/05 season

• Like 3

We are in the worst top flight position in my lifetime of supporting us. Our position is completely without hope.

My son is 12, when I was his age in the early 80s we were in a brilliant patch. He just won't end up with the same feeling for the club, I can see it drifting away already.

1 minute ago, Fan The Flames said:

We are in the worst top flight position in my lifetime of supporting us. Our position is completely without hope.

My son is 12, when I was his age in the early 80s we were in a brilliant patch. He just won't end up with the same feeling for the club, I can see it drifting away already.

Exactly this. Why should the next generation of Saints fans support the club? I hate people who jump on the glory band wagon to support a team that they have no connection with, leaving miles away from the team. After watching that shitshow I understand why there are just as many shirts on display in Southampton. My lad is eleven and he sat through last night saying that his under 12 team were better organised than Saints. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

It was Mick Harford who got Luton promoted to the Championship while Jones was taking Stoke to the bottom of it. Every manager who's replaced Nathan Jones has done better than him: Mick Harford at Luton, Michael O'Neill at Stoke and now Rob Edwards at Luton.  At least that's something for us to look forward to.

Nobody in his right mind would have appointed Nathan Jones as a Premier League manager after what he did at Stoke. 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

Just now, Nordic Saint said:

It was Mick Harford who got Luton promoted to the Championship while Jones was taking Stoke to the bottom of it. Every manager who's repaced Nathan Jones has done better than him: Mick Harford at Luton, Michael O'Neill at Stoke and now Rob Edwards at Luton.  At least that's something for us to look forward to.

it'd be impossible to do worse, surely? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think a lot of you are unaware of how our new ownership relationship works

Im sure Dragan is utterly unimpressed with the direction his investment is going but make no mistake he is more of an investor in the SR project then he is Saints

He will likely drop us before he drops SR 

And you know this how?

3 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Being realistic, when do you think the club will sack him?

I think they'll wait until we've done our business in January and if there's no improvement then they'll get rid. If we keep on losing surely something has to give

Honestly - I think we'll have to be struggling in the Championship before they get rid of him.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I've slagged a fair few of you off on here for dismissing NJ before before he's been given a chance. But that performance last night was SO BAD that even I'm wondering if more urgent action is needed. What on earth was the man thinking? If he even was.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

As much of a prick that he was, you just know that if this was Cortese this bloke would be out now. He'd be decisive when required.

He’d never been hired in the first place, if Cortese was in charge……!

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No chance NC hired Nathan Jones.

he was a dick, but he had an eye for a manager

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

It was more about he knew when he needed to act rather than if he'd bring him in in the first place. 

Much like it was obvious Ralph’s time was up last season (arguably before), it’s obvious that Jones won’t work. 

We have a habit of being too loyal to people and clinging on for too long. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dman said:

Much like it was obvious Ralph’s time was up last season (arguably before), it’s obvious that Jones won’t work. 

We have a habit of being too loyal to people and clinging on for too long. 

It's incredibly embarrassing and jarring for the club to sack him now so they definitely won't. They absolutely should just bite the bullet though and do it. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's incredibly embarrassing and jarring for the club to sack him now so they definitely won't. They absolutely should just bite the bullet though and do it. 

It’d be a way to win the fans over though. It’s toxic at the minute, everyone’s getting it. 

If they were to come out and say “we got it wrong, we liked Jones for XYZ we think he’ll succeed elsewhere, but not here at this time”  I think they’d gain a large amount of respect from the fans. 

The trouble is, Jones wasn’t wanted by anyone to start with. It was underwhelming and had an upwards battle from day 1, had we brought a preferred ‘bigger’ name and had the same results, j suspect reaction wouldn’t be as strong. 

That being said, the football has been so bad it’s beyond belief, it genuinely looks like 11 men who don’t train together being thrown out with no instructions. the confidence fall out from this spell is going to take a long, long time to recover from. 

• Like 4

On 03/01/2023 at 17:41, imadirtyurchin said:

How come you’re warming to him OldNick? 

Well that was before last night lol.

Just think we are self harming not giving him a chance. The board are highly unlikely to sack him, ego as much as anything. It would be another large slice of money out of our budget. They will ride the storm. Buy Ings or a couple of decent players, then that will soothe things for a little while.

He strikes me as an honest individual and has to cope with a club that is used to failure and heavy beatings. The fanbase also to a degree, and we are suffering a bit of self entitlement as a Championship manager is below us, we need some clever foreign manger.

I wanted to keep Puel, and am certain we would be in a better place had he been given more time. Sadly we were expecting wonderful football even though some of better players had gone...as usual

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Just think we are self harming not giving him a chance. The board are highly unlikely to sack him, ego as much as anything. It would be another large slice of money out of our budget. They will ride the storm. Buy Ings or a couple of decent players, then that will soothe things for a little while.

He strikes me as an honest individual and has to cope with a club that is used to failure and heavy beatings. The fanbase also to a degree, and we are suffering a bit of self entitlement as a Championship manager is below us, we need some clever foreign manger.

I wanted to keep Puel, and am certain we would be in a better place had he been given more time. Sadly we were expecting wonderful football even though some of better players had gone...as usual

To play devil's advocate....could one not also argue - particularly after last night's horror show - that keeping NJ is also a clear and obvious act of self-harm.....?

• Like 1

I was a bit surprised to see the BBC including in their Summary section:

"Nathan Jones under pressure at Southampton following home defeat by Nottingham Forest"

It's unusual for them to be like that about someone so new to the job and as an outsider (their perspective) you'd assume is in no danger of being sacked already. Clearly the fan discontent is having some impact "out there" and just how poor we've been has been noticed. It's not just the echo chamber of Saintsweb.

Edited by BotleySaint

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

How successful has Puel been since he left us?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Honestly - I think we'll have to be struggling in the Championship before they get rid of him.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I've slagged a fair few of you off on here for dismissing NJ before before he's been given a chance. But that performance last night was SO BAD that even I'm wondering if more urgent action is needed. What on earth was the man thinking? If he even was.

It was the action of a man who wants to be dismissed. Knowing he would  walk away with a big pay off can't have helped.

22 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

The signings we made in Summer and the manager change at least shows that SR has a plan. We should be able to get decent money for JWP, KWP, TL, SA and will be left with a squad and manager that should be (just) above average in the Championship.

Not with a back five we won't.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Currently round at our daughter's, having a 'discussion' with our Bluenose SiL and explaining that despite the opinions of Everton fans, they are certain to get 3 points from our visit.....

"We're shit"

"We're shitter"

( and repeat......... )

We are 100% more shit. We will win this argument 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It was the action of a man who wants to be dismissed. Knowing he would  walk away with a big pay off can't have helped.

I actually briefly wondered last night, listening to his press conference afterwards… if we are genuinely already in the Mourinho territory of getting himself sacked

Surely not ? Surely ?….

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

From Southampton way to Southampton pray!  I fear for all those who will lose their jobs when we are a Championship club.     

that's the sad thing about it. My wife worked at the club last time we went down, lots of good people lost their jobs. She had no interest in football until she got a job at Saints but she was more upset than me and any of my family were, all life long saints fans were when we went down. It was more than a job to a lot of them, they loved working there and were in bits when they were made redundant. It's sad that a £25k-£35k back office worker has to carry the can for mistakes made by millionaire owners, executives, managers and players. Getting rid of just one of the useless pricks that got us into this mess would save the jobs of the dozens who dont deserve it.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Currently round at our daughter's, having a 'discussion' with our Bluenose SiL and explaining that despite the opinions of Everton fans, they are certain to get 3 points from our visit.....

"We're shit"

"We're shitter"

( and repeat......... )

Sounds like my in-laws place.

41 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I actually briefly wondered last night, listening to his press conference afterwards… if we are genuinely already in the Mourinho territory of getting himself sacked

Surely not ? Surely ?….

I think he knew the game was up against Brighton to be honest. Presser after that was with a drowning man. Because of our idiotic Board who have painted themselves into a corner Nath is a very rich man when he gets binned whether that’s tomorrow or in May. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

How successful has Puel been since he left us?

I dont follow him, but I assume with your question not well. I look as I saw it at the time for us. We will never know what would have happened had he stayed, but I dont think there have been many happy times since. Perhaps a few spells under Ralph, but not a lot

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!