Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

35 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

No comparison between the team he had and what we have now

Well it's true he did have Mane, Pelle and Big Vic as  the spine of the team, and VVD and Fonte for the whole season.

Oh wait, didn't.

Line up in May for the "boring" draw against United, basically the best line up he had available for the second half of the season:

Forster
Cédric
Stephens
Yoshida
Targett
Davis
Romeu
JWP
Tadic
Gabbiadini
Redmond

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don't see us becoming a top 10 team under him. I'd be very surprised if he can do any better than Ralph.

That’s a cop out. 

Define success this season. What does he need to have done by the end of may for you to say he’s done a decent job and deserves another season. 

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I think what you mean is you see Jones was asked about the fans booing him and rather than being a pussy and saying he didn't hear anything he decided to defend himself. 

The desperation on this board to find a negative in everything about this guy is beyond parody.

Spot on. Very similar to the fans that booed the one long ball hit in the entire first half. OK, we weren't playing great, but it didn't justify that.

If they booed him at another point, I missed it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64saint said:

Yes, it was an interesting interview with Doswell.  I appreciate he's a well respected local non league manager and big Saints fan but I would certainly have liked to see Jones calling out Doswells claims about ABK not being injured in his next interview with Radio Solent, maybe even ask for an apology.  Would certainly show his players that he will stand up for them when needed, may even give him an extra few credibility points in the dressing room if needed.

I'm guessing he hasn't heard it. I wasn't impressed with the comments, but I would imagine if Jones had heard them he would be fuming, again assuming that the player is injured. 

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Well it's true he did have Mane, Pelle and Big Vic as  the spine of the team, and VVD and Fonte for the whole season.

Oh wait, didn't.

Line up in May for the "boring" draw against United, basically the best line up he had available for the second half of the season:

Forster
Cédric
Stephens
Yoshida
Targett
Davis
Romeu
JWP
Tadic
Gabbiadini
Redmond

Puel’s squad was way better that what we have now. No comparison.

Fair play to NJ for a win today, but I'll remain unconvinced until we start to put together some football that creates goals and win games without relying on set pieces and forced errors.

The football needs to improve, but at least there is a glimmer of something better.

Can't say his interviews are endearing though, but then again if he can deliver decent football and results then I'm sure he'll be forgiven for being as much of a bellend as he likes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

The criticism of Jones for not playing Stu might not have been warranted after all. Surely an operation or rest is better than taking painkillers to play

it’s clear jones isn’t an idiot to the criticism, I suspect he is an avid saintsweb contributor, as he knows all criticisms and how to counteract them, as seen here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dman said:

I still can’t believe this happened. People give Jones stick for wanting the limelight, but fuck me ralph was as bad as anyone for that. 

Remember the stupid jazz hands to the fans on the rare occasion we won’t a game.

Hadn't he had a turbulent time with family illness or something before this which heightened his emotions? 

Or am I just completely making that up!?!? 😂

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I didn’t mind the jazz hands. It was the jazz hands when we won, but fucking off down the tunnel without acknowledging us when we lost that done my head in. That behaviour showed me exactly what sort of “leader” he was. If jones does the same, I’ll dig him out as well. 

00:20

Edited by SotonianWill

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s a cop out. 

Define success this season. What does he need to have done by the end of may for you to say he’s done a decent job and deserves another season. 

For me, he has to keep us in the league. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 09:55, Lord Duckhunter said:

Egg. This is exactly what I’m on about.

Jones said this directly to sky “ I take sole responsibility for the results we're getting, and I'll take sole responsibility when things turnaround,"

But no, according to this poster he’s “shouldered no responsibility”. 

And yet he's also said this... So not sure what he's shouldering responsibility for??? He's taking responsibility for 2 "harsh" results.

"Two results have been harsh this week. In terms of Fulham away, I thought we were excellent, I really did. [We were] really structured - I thought we were the better side. We limited them to very, very little."

Excellent at Fulham???? Seriously. Some of the worst football I've see saints play in years.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

And yet he's also said this... So not sure what he's shouldering responsibility for??? He's taking responsibility for 2 "harsh" results.

"Two results have been harsh this week. In terms of Fulham away, I thought we were excellent, I really did. [We were] really structured - I thought we were the better side. We limited them to very, very little."

Excellent at Fulham???? Seriously. Some of the worst football I've see saints play in years.

Sadly i think we're going to have to get used to it tbh, this is is the SR way - 5 at the back and hoof ball.

Edited by Saint86

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s a cop out. 

If he keeps us up he has done the job he was recruited for. If he does that I imagine he will take us into next season. I wouldn't call it a decent job but it will actually be quite impressive if we stay up from 12 points after 18 games and his shit start.

If he relegates us and fails in the job he was recruited for he can fuck off.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

the fans will just get pissed off with his football too

I think the view that his Burnley side played bad football is overplayed, until just before the end. Also, we probably need to think about the last year of our suffering before we get too sniffy. I hope we get him. 

El sackico with Dyche as the booby prize. How far have we fallen 🤣🤣🤣

As much as I think he’s far better than Jones, I still don’t see how his football style and ethos matches with our club’s recruitment strategy of late. Same issue as Jones - long ball with short passing players. Still, he’d organise us and scare some of the flaky players so maybe it’d somehow work to save us?

I can’t help but think that Saints and Graham Potter are destined to be together- matched perfectly imho. Does look like the timing will be slightly out this time around and after his big pay-off and our likely relegation I doubt we’d be his choice for a next job but I live in hope.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

the fans will just get pissed off with his football too

Saints fans singing Nathan Jones your tactics are shit during first half at Palace would just change the name in the song 

• Like 2

Sean Dyche is appears to be a good man-manager, something that Saints have needed for a long time. 
And more often than not his teams are organised, again something we’ve needed for a while.

At least you know what you get with him, 4-4-2 football and commitment with that right players.

If he could just take a cough sweet then all would be good. 👍🏻

Probably not the manager we initially wanted, but better than Nathan Jones given that he walks quickly around the same three yard space on the touch line looking stoned and like he’s trying to have someone out for a fight. 😅

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Oh wait, didn't.

Forster
Cédric
Stephens
Yoshida
Targett
Davis
Romeu
JWP
Tadic
Gabbiadini
Redmond

You seriously think our current first eleven is better than that? Maybe in defence granted, but midfield and up top, no question that squad is better.

22 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sean Dyche is appears to be a good man-manager

I reckon Jones is as well though. He’s known for doing the powerpoint presentations on each individual player which I believe was mentioned by Orsic upon signing. che seemed to be talking to him after the win also seemed happy for him. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Did he fuck off down the tunnel without acknowledging the fans when Luton lost? 

So LD, just to clarify, are you in the Jones Out Now camp, the Jones Out in a months time camp or the Jones In and give him the season camp ?

15 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

So LD, just to clarify, are you in the Jones Out Now camp, the Jones Out in a months time camp or the Jones In and give him the season camp ?

Forester’s camp.(ohh matron!)

12 hours ago, Forester said:

Sticking to my assessment a couple of weeks ago, which is to call it no earlier than at end of January following the transfer window, the cup games and the Everton and Villa league matches.  Any earlier is ridiculous.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Forester’s camp.

Out of interest, why would you not give any new man part of the transfer window to bring in reinforcements? I get the argument for a bit of time, but I'm struggling with giving him all of the window, thua no transfer opportunities for any replacement. 

• Like 1

Anyone seen that footage of Che manhandling NJ after the game on Twitter? Doesn't look good to me. No evidence, but am very suspicious about Adams being a bad egg in the camp. Looks to me as if he is saying they won despite the manager. Not good vibes at all

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sean Dyche is appears to be a good man-manager, something that Saints have needed for a long time. 
And more often than not his teams are organised, again something we’ve needed for a while.

At least you know what you get with him, 4-4-2 football and commitment with that right players.

If he could just take a cough sweet then all would be good. 👍🏻

Probably not the manager we initially wanted, but better than Nathan Jones given that he walks quickly around the same three yard space on the touch line looking stoned and like he’s trying to have someone out for a fight. 😅

He does look a bit like that. The wiry psychopath in the pub that's after a score.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I reckon Jones is as well though. He’s known for doing the powerpoint presentations on each individual player which I believe was mentioned by Orsic upon signing. che seemed to be talking to him after the win also seemed happy for him. 

I thought he was almost assaulting him there

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Anyone seen that footage of Che manhandling NJ after the game on Twitter? Doesn't look good to me. No evidence, but am very suspicious about Adams being a bad egg in the camp. Looks to me as if he is saying they won despite the manager. Not good vibes at all

Think you are reading completely into this the wrong way… pretty sure it’s been mentioned on here by at least a few people that Adams almost looked like he was gee-ing Jones up and happy for him. 

21 minutes ago, DT said:

Jesus-h-christ.

5 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Think you are reading completely into this the wrong way… pretty sure it’s been mentioned on here by at least a few people that Adams almost looked like he was gee-ing Jones up and happy for him. 

I thought that initially but have looked at the clip a number of times and it looks aggressive. NJ startled. Adams pointing his finger. Assistant coach trying to intervene. I suppose it could be positive, hope it is, but didn't look great to me.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Can you post it? Apols as it’s above 😂

Edited by Toadhall Saint

On 06/01/2023 at 09:55, Lord Duckhunter said:

Egg. This is exactly what I’m on about.

Jones said this directly to sky “ I take sole responsibility for the results we're getting, and I'll take sole responsibility when things turnaround,"

But no, according to this poster he’s “shouldered no responsibility”. 

That's poor man management. As a manager you take responsibility when it goes badly and give credit to your players when things go well. You shield them when it's shit and elevate them when it's good.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!