Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In what way is it a myth? They might not be implementing what he asked them to do but it's quite clearly not a myth just based on the stats alone. 

This is playing out exactly as it did at Stoke. He was at loggerheads with their fans most of the time, disagreeing with their opinions and being all defensive. I’ve seen some Stoke fans describe him as treating the entire fanbase with contempt when he was there.

He obviously hasn't learnt sod all from that experience going by his press conferences with us.

One win at Palace doesn't change anything, that Forest game will live long in many peoples memories as one of the worst, if not the worst, 90mins I've ever had to watch at St Mary's. If we see any more of that then there is only one way this ends.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is playing out exactly as it did at Stoke. He was at loggerheads with their fans most of the time, disagreeing with their opinions and being all defensive. I’ve seen some Stoke fans describe him as treating the entire fanbase with contempt when he was there.

He obviously hasn't learnt sod all from that experience going by his press conferences with us.

One win at Palace doesn't change anything, that Forest game will live long in many peoples memories as one of the worst, if not the worst, 90mins I've ever had to watch at St Mary's. If we see any more of that then there is only one way this ends.

Just seen some more quotes from him. Slagging off the fans and saying our defence is much better (lies.) What a prick. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I can’t but help pick up on that dreadful double negative.

Agree he seems worst than I first thought, and they weren’t even good thoughts

50 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I actually cannot believe how unlikeable this bloke is.

I mean he has a point “when we win”. last game we were second to Brentford in long balls. would you call them a long ball team exactly? if it clicks, which it hasn’t I can see why he may be in the mindset it’s a front foot sort of football. sadly he’s delusional if he thinks the tactic has been front footed so far we’ve played more like eastleigh do. 

The “we” came in after our win 😂 wonder if it would’ve been “they” had we lost? 
One swallow doesn’t make a summer though so a lucky win in the cup from 2 gifted goals still isn’t cutting it.

The 4 previous games of dross are what he’s being judged on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He's obviously aware of the fans opinion of him, he posts on here at the end of the day so he's seen it all!

Against Forest 'long ball' wasn't a myth, it's what I watched for 90mins. Long ball into the channels. Chris Cohen was even directing Salisu to do such a thing, at which point Salisu did it and then shrugged his shoulders (if anyone else noticed that).

We weren't long-ball against Palace, but Forest was pretty frightening.

I'm sure I read that one of our main coaching team now isn't even qualified. Is that right?

Jones seems like a right twerp.

On the flip side, our fans can’t take a bit of stick back when it comes their way, can they? 

Not defending how atrocious we’ve been under NJ so far, but culpability wise, he’s far down the pecking order of ineptitude: what about our recruitment team for the past 6 years? What about our players, who have churned out drivel and substandard performances since 2016? What about our core business leaders who gave contracts to unrewarding players? 

And so far it’s been alright to dish it all out solely to NJ but when he defends himself, a lot of people don’t like him answering back? Nah, despite what many think of him and his appointment it should cut both ways. Some of our fans need to put their big boy pants on.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Finally watched his post match presser from Forest, not actually that bad imo?
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12780144/premier-league-hits-and-misses-is-there-any-way-back-for-southampton

But badly needs to start getting things right in the final 3rd to take some of the pressure off and start getting results - Hopefully Alcaraz and Orsic help in that regards. Will hopefully add some quality and nous beyond Edozie, Aribo, Ely. Unlucky in a lot of ways to finally get a win against palace, only to face a mauling by city up next... Will kill any momentum immediately. Still think his football is awful.

1 hour ago, Dirkdiggler said:

The “we” came in after our win 😂 wonder if it would’ve been “they” had we lost? 

Says "we" numerous times during the forest post match presser...
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12780144/premier-league-hits-and-misses-is-there-any-way-back-for-southampton
You can be critical enough of the guy without making rubbish up. Ultimate blame lies on SR and that is where the fan ire should go. Hopefully Jones can turn it around. If not, the board need to own it and make a call PDQ!!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

On the flip side, our fans can’t take a bit of stick back when it comes their way, can they? 

Not defending how atrocious we’ve been under NJ so far, but culpability wise, he’s far down the pecking order of ineptitude: what about our recruitment team for the past 6 years? What about our players, who have churned out drivel and substandard performances since 2016? What about our core business leaders who gave contracts to unrewarding players? 

And so far it’s been alright to dish it all out solely to NJ but when he defends himself, a lot of people don’t like him answering back? Nah, despite what many think of him and his appointment it should cut both ways. Some of our fans need to put their big boy pants on.

I think the way to defend himself is to get results. He can stick two fingers up to the fans everyweel for all I care if he gets us up the table. With zero points from his games so far it isn't really the time to pick fights with fans who have every right to feel aggrieved and to question his appointment. Prove us all wrong by performing on the pitch and then he can give it large. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the way to defend himself is to get results. He can stick two fingers up to the fans everyweel for all I care if he gets us up the table. With zero points from his games so far it isn't really the time to pick fights with fans who have every right to feel aggrieved and to question his appointment. Prove us all wrong by performing on the pitch and then he can give it large. 

Yeah, I get your point. To say I’m non plussed by the appointment and the performances so far is an understatement. Perhaps he should rise above the criticism but I get it if he feels aggrieved as when it comes down to culpability, he’s a small speck of what’s been going on in these last few years… and it’s not as if he’s rocking up with the intention of making us even worse.

but if the toxicity continues it work bode well for him and us. For example, I get the impression there are people just lying in wait to criticise the first thing that happens or point the finger as soon as they can.

But irrespective, our fans have always been a bit precious when it comes to receiving stick. Giving it out, no problem but when they get a bit back, they tend to be the first to cry foul. 

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Yeah, I get your point. To say I’m non plussed by the appointment and the performances so far is an understatement. Perhaps he should rise above the criticism but I get it if he feels aggrieved as when it comes down to culpability, he’s a small speck of what’s been going on in these last few years… and it’s not as if he’s rocking up with the intention of making us even worse.

but if the toxicity continues it work bode well for him and us. For example, I get the impression there are people just lying in wait to criticise the first thing that happens or point the finger as soon as they can.

But irrespective, our fans have always been a bit precious when it comes to receiving stick. Giving it out, no problem but when they get a bit back, they tend to be the first to cry foul. 

I don't think that's particular to Saints fans - there will be an element within any fanbase that is a bit thin skinned. 

As for a toxic atmosphere, yeah, it probably doesn't help but I doubt it'll make that much of a difference.  We've been shit for a year now and for most of that the atmosphere hasn't been vitriolic but more apathetic.  

On the plus side it'll be easy for Jones to get back on side - all he needs to do is get the team playing well and winning games.  Fans are fickle and a few good performances and results and we'll all be singing "Rat Faced Nathan Jones Red and White Army".  He knows the drill, he'll have had the same at Stoke (and don't forget he's learned from that experience).  

TBH like others have said, I don't really care what he says and I'm more concerned about what he does.

I know that no one wants to hear anything positive said about Jones right now, but I have to post this otherwise the time will pass it will be lost forever. I don't know how many noticed, but he actually changed it to 2 at the back against Forest with a good 15 minutes left. I was horrified at the time, but it was a bloody brave decision. Didn't work of course as all those extra attacking players seemed lost and did fuck all, but when's the last time you saw a manager go for it like that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know that no one wants to hear anything positive said about Jones right now, but I have to post this otherwise the time will pass it will be lost forever. I don't know how many noticed, but he actually changed it to 2 at the back against Forest with a good 15 minutes left. I was horrified at the time, but it was a bloody brave decision. Didn't work of course as all those extra attacking players seemed lost and did fuck all, but when's the last time you saw a manager go for it like that?

Desperate times and all that

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

Only 75 minutes too late.

How were we playing 2 at the back when we had 3 centre backs on the pitch until minute 85? I was watching the game and I don’t recall one of our CBs going up front, what am I missing here? 

Lyanco went off on 85 but that wasn’t the plan, Elmo was in line to get subbed (it got announced on the tannoy) then Lyanco limped off instead.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

How were we playing 2 at the back when we had 3 centre backs on the pitch until minute 85? I was watching the game and I don’t recall one of our CBs going up front, what am I missing here? 

Lyanco went off on 85 but that wasn’t the plan, Elmo was in line to get subbed (it got announced on the tannoy) then Lyanco limped off instead.

You're not missing anything. When Lyanco went off we went to two at the back. Maybe it was last ten minutes (I was including injury time) not last 15. My bad.  

Just now, Chez said:

You're not missing anything. When Lyanco went off we went to two at the back. Maybe it was last ten minutes (I was including injury time) not last 15. My bad.  

Got ya. Yeah, we went for it at that point, but quite frankly we bloody had to, 0-1 down and nothing lose by conceding another.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

I don't think that's particular to Saints fans - there will be an element within any fanbase that is a bit thin skinned. 

As for a toxic atmosphere, yeah, it probably doesn't help but I doubt it'll make that much of a difference.  We've been shit for a year now and for most of that the atmosphere hasn't been vitriolic but more apathetic.  

On the plus side it'll be easy for Jones to get back on side - all he needs to do is get the team playing well and winning games.  Fans are fickle and a few good performances and results and we'll all be singing "Rat Faced Nathan Jones Red and White Army".  He knows the drill, he'll have had the same at Stoke (and don't forget he's learned from that experience).  

TBH like others have said, I don't really care what he says and I'm more concerned about what he does.

Couldn’t agree more. Villa away last year the rot began to set in. Whatever the reason it’s been a long time coming. Just our luck that we didn’t get a new manager bounce with NJ with the same players who’ve been fucking it up for nearly year. Sadly I think the toxicity it has generated has come to a head, it’s almost a ‘perfect storm’ for NJ. Pre restart I genuinely thought 4/9 points would be doable from our first three games. Lose v Brighton, point at Fulham, beat Forest at home.  NJ isn’t  my choice of manager and he comes over as a bit abrasive but using the latter as a stick to beat him with will get us nowhere. Just adds more toxicity. Perhaps listening less to the opinions of a bunch of ‘Stokies’ might be a help?

up for nearly a year

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Finally watched his post match presser from Forest, not actually that bad imo?

But badly needs to start getting things right in the final 3rd to take some of the pressure off and start getting results - Hopefully Alcaraz and Orsic help in that regards. Will hopefully add some quality and nous beyond Edozie, Aribo, Ely. Unlucky in a lot of ways to finally get a win against palace, only to face a mauling by city up next... Will kill any momentum immediately. Still think his football is awful.

I didn't disagree with any thing in there. While he's right in saying it's not all down to him, he did seem to accept it was on him to help the players turn it around.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Sadly many fans on here are like babies, dish out awful  abuse and cry when they get a bit of criticism back. Pathetic 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I would actually quite like him having a dig at the fans and giving some banter back if he had the team performing. At least we know he’s listening... It’s better than listening Claude Puel the android droning on for example. 

As he mentioned, it all depends on the team winning and performing. It worries me that he keeps saying the team is performing well. Does he really think 0 attempts against Forest was a good performance?

Hopefully he’s just tying to instil a bit of confidence in the players. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, hotsaint said:

Sadly many fans on here are like babies, dish out awful  abuse and cry when they get a bit of criticism back. Pathetic 

I completely agree with that. It all started as I remember after a couple of years after promotion, a portion of the fan base always had to hae a whipping boy, the first I remember was Melia, admittedly he didn't bear any comparison with Martin Chivers, even John Sydenham had a fair bit of abuse. I  moved away in what were the glory days under McNemeny, but even he had a lot of criticism in his early years. I know from friends and this forum that it has continued. Unfortunately recently there is far too much extremely unpleasant abuse and not enough rational criticism. I wonder how many of the worst offenders would like to be subject to the abuse they hand out. Are they all successful in life and undeserving of criticism-I very much doubt it.

I'm still on the fence on the dude like several others on here. I don't think he deserves the sack yet by any means, but yes some kind of progress needs to be made in both a tactical sense and even more so, a fan relation sense if you will. Dude did wonders with Luton, but not exactly replicated that here yet.

Owners are gonna give him some time still of that I have no doubt. Just hope they don't wait until its too late if you catch my drift.

1 hour ago, hotsaint said:

Hi Nathan 

Bom Dia Hello GIF

edit: I actually agree that we have some utter melts for fans. 

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, hotsaint said:

He (you?), hasn't earnt the right to criticise the fans yet!  He accepted the big boy contract, it's not like the frailties of the team have been hidden from view and it just so happens he's taken over a team that is shit (although on paper, shouldn't be THIS bad!).

Six weeks of what can essentially be considered 'pre season' training straight after taking over the team and we've gone backwards from what is probably our worst performances in years.  Two very lucky cup game wins but ZERO points won in the league and barely a shot on goal from a team that has no recognisable tactics.  There may be some master plan but so far it's all in his head and certainly not translated on the pitch.  Nothing there for him to have any sort of banter / relationship with the fans, especialy not one where he has the moral high ground!

Get some points on the board, get the team playing some sort of coherent football where they at least look like they are going to win games, then he might have a leg to stand on in the 'banter' stakes.  Until then, probably best for him to wind his fucking neck in and concentrate on being a manager rather than some sort of protaganist - leave the 'TED talkers' to do the 'disruption'.

• Like 18

8 hours ago, hotsaint said:

Such insight from someone who joined this forum on January 3rd, describes Luton fans as "we" and by an amazing coincidence is also a Nathan Jones supporter.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 9
  • Haha 9

14 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Agree with this. Most of the whinnying is from the fans that read selected quotes from Saints Extra on twitter and can’t even be bothered to to listen /read the entire Transcript including the actual questions asked.

I actually like the fact that he has enough fight I’m him to give it back. Let’s hope he can instil that fight into the team. 

brighton and forest were fucking terrible but Fulham and Palace were better. Let’s hope we see improvement each game.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

Anyone who listens to football phone ins needs to look at themselves. We are all different but anyone who listens to Talksport all day can’t help end up being a twat

Yeah, they're almost as twattish as those that get their footie news and gossip from internet football forums... ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Such insight from someone who joined this forum on January 3rd, describes Luton fans as "we" and by an amazing coincidence is also a Nathan Jones supporter.

The Nat newbies on here have certainly been energised and engorged by the tactical masterclass and comprehensive humiliation of Crystal Palace in the cup. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

The Nat newbies on here have certainly been energised and engorged by the tactical masterclass and comprehensive humiliation of Crystal Palace in the cup. 

We even got a Jones In thread after the Palace keeper gifted us 2 goals! The fraud should’ve been sacked straight after the final whistle against Forest. Us signing some seemingly good players now is just like putting lipstick on a pig if he remains in charge. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

We even got a Jones In thread after the Palace keeper gifted us 2 goals! The fraud should’ve been sacked straight after the final whistle against Forest. Us signing some seemingly good players now is just like putting lipstick on a pig if he remains in charge. 

Like asking Roland Rat to advertise Aston Martin. Somewhat out of kilter.

20 hours ago, hotsaint said:

The comments on almost every social media post by whining fans slagging off Jones do my head in, all of them seem to forget the previous 11 months of rubbish we've endured. 

• Like 5

What was interesting at Palace in the first 20 minutes, which my son pointed out, was to see NJ waving his arms so frantically that it looked like he would take off but none of the players seemed to be paying any attention to him. 

Still don't blame NJ entirely. Why can't the coaches work on direct routines/one touch football that creates opening/shots or draws fouls just outside the penalty area?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Maybe they make the comments because they REMEMBER the previous 11 months and want to avoid a repeat?

And the performances under Jones, as he presumably is bedding in his new tactics, were worse than a number in that 11 months. Although there were any number of stinkers across both managers.

I hope we go win every game from now under him. Since we can't win them all, that we get more than enough to stay up, that we're exciting, hard working and entertaining even in defeat. I hope Jones does really well for us. The club are clearly looking to strengthen too.

But it's zero points from four games, and that's what he'll be judged by. Whether the club finally manage to bring in a bloomin' striker or not.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!