Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Or do you think that fans should blindly follow the club's decisions without voicing an opinion?

no one is saying fans should not have an opinion or indeed voice it, but a lot of fans had forged their opinion about him before he had even set foot through the door and then used the failure to turn results around immediately, and the terrible display against Forest to reenforce that preconceived opinion.

Maybe, rather than sing "your football is shit", which quite frankly helps no one, Saints fans at Palace ought to have just booed at the end of the game to show their displeasure. The fact we played OK in the second half and got the result made those supporters look a bit draft if you ask me. If, in ten games time, the side is still losing and playing shite, then perhaps it would be far enough openly savage Jones.

Forest was a shit show, so I totally understand the frustration and displeasure, but where we are in the league is not all down to him. Ralph and the senior management team collectively got us here.

I think fans forget that as soon as he became our manger, he became one of `us'.  Not a fucking skate or a rival manager, a Saint, that is on our side, doing everything he can to give us what we want - victories.

It's shame fans can't come together to give our rivals as much grief as Jones has got to put them off. The Darren Anderton "scummer" chants back in the day ruined his performance . As supporters, how about we go after our opponents a bit more rather than our own.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, manji said:

I didn’t even think his comments were that bad, quite funny in places. Some of you must live very sheltered lives.

Yeah agreed. What he said was fair enough and well pitched. If people were giving it out (and a lot of it was far worse than what jones said), and then take umrbridge at what was a fairly mild bit of non personal backchat from the manager), they need to grow up frankly. 🤷‍♂️ Hopefully it grows into a decent relationship between the fans and the manager - but that will need success and time... neither of which we have much off atm.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chez said:

no one is saying fans should not have an opinion or indeed voice it, but a lot of fans had forged their opinion about him before he had even set foot through the door and then used the failure to turn results around immediately, and the terrible display against Forest to reenforce that preconceived opinion.

Maybe, rather than sing "your football is shit", which quite frankly helps no one, Saints fans at Palace ought to have just booed at the end of the game to show their displeasure. The fact we played OK in the second half and got the result made those supporters look a bit draft if you ask me. If, in ten games time, the side is still losing and playing shite, then perhaps it would be far enough openly savage Jones.

Forest was a shit show, so I totally understand the frustration and displeasure, but where we are in the league is not all down to him. Ralph and the senior management team collectively got us here.

I think fans forget that as soon as he became our manger, he became one of `us'.  Not a fucking skate or a rival manager, a Saint, that is on our side, doing everything he can to give us what we want - victories.

It's shame fans can't come together to give our rivals as much grief as Jones has got to put them off. The Darren Anderton "scummer" chants back in the day ruined his performance . As supporters, how about we go after our opponents a bit more rather than our own.

I think the discontent has largely come from

• The original underwhelming appointment
  • The really woeful 5 at the back performance against Lincoln to then go to 4 at the back and score twice, and then refer back to 5 at the back against Brighton
  • We were at our best in the Brighton game when we went to a 4 at the back, and atrocious long ball shite for the rest of it. they completely outclassed us and we didnt compete.
  • Fulham we started 5 at the back and we were appalling. We then went to a 4 at the back, got it back to 1-1, were on top, then he went to a 5 and we conceded.
  • We then played Forest which was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a team, and only changed to a back 4 with 5 minutes to go, and played apparently 80 long balls to their centre backs
  • At this point there was absolutely nothing to be positive about because he wasn't learning at all and was just doing the same thing, with a team of players who seemed to have no idea at all what they were meant to do.
  • We then go to Palace and change up how we play, played 4 at the back, and started playing with it on the floor (apparently JWP had words with him after the Forest defeat, and there was a big bust up at the training ground the day before the palace game)
  • JWP took the team talk at HT against Palace
  • Then we go 4 at the back against Man City, and the players suddenly look completely on board and giving their all.

I think it was fully justified for the fans to have a go at Jones up until the Palace game, as there was nothing to suggest he had any idea what he was doing.  That City performance was nothing short of sensational, and he deserves full credit for that.  If we can go to Everton and play like a proper football team at this level, and win, then I think all will be forgotten and we all have to move forward. If we go there, set up 5 at the back and play long ball for the best part of the game and don't change it, then he deserves pelters. 

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Saint WGC said:

There is no doubt from the interview last night that Nathan Jones is pretty cheesed off with the fans and certain media outlets and their criticism of him and the personal nature of some of it. 

In a nutshell.

Come to a club, lose a couple of games, which is no different to the results before him, and has his own fans singing "you don't know what you're doing" and "your football is shit". Has any manager faced that before after four games, anywhere, ever?

To counter that, we had gone bottom and the Forest game was an absolute shit show. He should acknowledge that (he hasn't really) and try to understand the frustration of fans, who have `suffered' some woeful stiff over the last year or more. Some of those boos were at the side and the situation not just him.

I struggle to see how the relationship between the fans and Jones will ever come together now. He is always going to remember how he was treated.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think the discontent has largely come from

• The original underwhelming appointment
  • The really woeful 5 at the back performance against Lincoln to then go to 4 at the back and score twice, and then refer back to 5 at the back against Brighton
  • We were at our best in the Brighton game when we went to a 4 at the back, and atrocious long ball shite for the rest of it. they completely outclassed us and we didnt compete.
  • Fulham we started 5 at the back and we were appalling. We then went to a 4 at the back, got it back to 1-1, were on top, then he went to a 5 and we conceded.
  • We then played Forest which was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a team, and only changed to a back 4 with 5 minutes to go, and played apparently 80 long balls to their centre backs
  • At this point there was absolutely nothing to be positive about because he wasn't learning at all and was just doing the same thing, with a team of players who seemed to have no idea at all what they were meant to do.
  • We then go to Palace and change up how we play, played 4 at the back, and started playing with it on the floor (apparently JWP had words with him after the Forest defeat, and there was a big bust up at the training ground the day before the palace game)
  • JWP took the team talk at HT against Palace
  • Then we go 4 at the back against Man City, and the players suddenly look completely on board and giving their all.

I think it was fully justified for the fans to have a go at Jones up until the Palace game, as there was nothing to suggest he had any idea what he was doing.  That City performance was nothing short of sensational, and he deserves full credit for that.  If we can go to Everton and play like a proper football team at this level, and win, then I think all will be forgotten and we all have to move forward. If we go there, set up 5 at the back and play long ball for the best part of the game and don't change it, then he deserves pelters. 

Pretty fair analysis. Moving away from formations that seemed to work certainly frustrated me.

First I have heard about JWP team talk, but I am guessing it was in addition to Jones' words, not replacing them. Pretty standard for captain to do that I'd of thought.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

This is the kind of shit I could do without though. He's making it sound like he's done a good job so far and we're literally 0/4 in the league.

Yes the criticism would stop if we could get a point in the league?

One of his cup wins was a terrible performance vs 3rd tier Lincoln, and his win rate in the premier league is 0% - It mathematically cannot get worse.

• Like 3

Just now, Chez said:

Pretty fair analysis. Moving away from formations that seemed to work certainly frustrated me.

First I have heard about JWP team talk, but I am guessing it was in addition to Jones' words, not replacing them. Pretty standard for captain to do that I'd of thought.

It was instead of.

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

This is the kind of shit I could do without though. He's making it sound like he's done a good job so far and we're literally 0/4 in the league.

Yes the criticism would stop if we could get a point in the league?

He's stupid to discount that game IMO. We were turd, then at half time he has words and we come out and take it to Liverpool. I credit him for that second half performance, but because he didn't get the result he doesn't want it counting against him. Cherry picking stats to argue his case feels tinpot. Jeez. I want to back him. I've wasted hundreds of words of `support' on this thread alone, but he's a tough one to like.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have to be honest, I am struggling to believe the manager went all Brian Clough and said nothing at half time.

It’s not that unusual for the captain or senior pros to get involved. Its normally a sign of a healthy dressing room. In this case it appears to be spun as the reason we played better. It seems the shite against Brighton & Forest was Jones’ too own, but he had help from Prowse when we won. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's stupid to discount that game IMO. We were turd, then at half time he has words and we come out and take it to Liverpool. I credit him for that second half performance, but because he didn't get the result he doesn't want it counting against him. Cherry picking stats to argue his case feels tinpot. Jeez. I want to back him. I've wasted hundreds of words of `support' on this thread alone, but he's a tough one to like.

I think my main issue was that he had six weeks during the World Cup break to sort out some sort of plan and style of play. When we got back to action we looked even worse than we did before the break. To my mind he wasted such a unique opportunity to reset formations and tactics. If it took a rant from JWP to sort that out, then fair play to him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Just what I was told.

OK. Forgive my scepticism, but I think I will check that when I get the opportunity. I don't believe the manager said nothing at all. JWP might have done a speech or some sort, and maybe that was the last thing said, which may be when the manager usually does his thing, but Jone's sitting their on his hands for the entire 15 minute break? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think my main issue was that he had six weeks during the World Cup break to sort out some sort of plan and style of play. When we got back to action we looked even worse than we did before the break. To my mind he wasted such a unique opportunity to reset formations and tactics. 

Its a fair criticism. We didn't look better after the wold cup than we did before.  Ralph did the same with the entire preseason.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

He is indeed.  Just watched his pre-match presser for the Everton game and he comes across as very defensive.  Whatever his abilities as a manager, I don't think dealing with the media is a string to his bow.

That said, I thought we were magnificent last night and probably the best performance we've had in a calendar year.  He deserves all the credit for that and he can act in whatever way he sees fit if we carry on playing in that fashion.  Personally I think he would be better off if he didn't come across as quite so antagonistic but that's his call and it's difficult for people to be something they're not.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Personally I think he would be better off if he didn't come across as quite so antagonistic but that's his call and it's difficult for people to be something they're not.

You are right, but it isn't helping to build a relationship with supporters. However, I don't think bridges can be built between him and some of the fans. Many have gone all in and won't want to lose face, even if he wins games going forward. 

I've not slagged him off, so when he niggles back I don't feel it is aimed at me. But it still comes across as petty. Like someone else said, he got the result, (and performance). That answered his critics. Nothing more needed to be said. 

• Like 1

More than anything, i would like him to stop saying, "with all due respect", or "with the greatest respect" several times per interview / press conference. Its incredibly defensive and comes across like he has a complex / chip on his shoulder about his own ability.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think my main issue was that he had six weeks during the World Cup break to sort out some sort of plan and style of play. When we got back to action we looked even worse than we did before the break.

I'm sure that the fanbase at large was expecting him to have had a major impact after the WC break. in reality, ABK and Salisu were missing for a large part of that period while KWP & Lavia were recovering from significant injuries - in fact Lavia still does not appear to be ready for a full 90 minutes yet. Those 4 constitute a significant part of the defensive unit, and with them not practicing much together during the break, it may explain why he kept chopping and changing with the defensive set-up when we re-started. Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

More than anything, i would like him to stop saying, "with all due respect", or "with the greatest respect" several times per interview / press conference. Its incredibly defensive and comes across like he has a complex / chip on his shoulder about his own ability.

Nearly every question he gets asked is negative so the reason he comes across as defensive is because he is defending himself.

I don't mind it, shows he has some balls and belief in himself.

He has been hugely and disrespectfully slagged off by lots of Saints fans and the media. He has a right of reply and is using it. End of story and hopefully everyone can move on as he just managed our best performance for a long time.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Nearly every question he gets asked is negative so the reason he comes across as defensive is because he is defending himself.

I don't mind it, shows he has some balls and belief in himself.

Agreed, and although I think the criticism was justified, he has every right to fight back. Doing so shows character, and his fighting spirit and self belief appears to have transferred to the players. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

This entirely. Most captains do that.

If JWP is stepping up and having a pop at his team mates then brilliant, seeing it on the pitch would be encouraging too, especially when we go behind or are up against it.

I think that’s where he gives me the perception he isn’t a leader - it’s because we don’t see it enough on the pitch.

Last night was stark contrast to previous weeks/months. 👍🏻

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I feel conflicted. Without a doubt he has delivered one of the best results this century but he let himself down in his post match interviews showing no dignity which would have given him the higher moral ground. I’m not sure I am going to like him very much but I guess if he delivers on the pitch then who cares a hoot. 

I doubt he's a great fan of the majority of the fanbase I suspect. He has had IMO appalling treatment. I can hold my head up as I was prepared to give him a chance. No doubt all the critics are hiding under a stone and will reappear once we lose

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Greenridge said:

Players seem to be playing for him and certainly appeared to be happy for/with him at the end. No sign of hoofball. 

Interesting that someone posted the utter drivel that KWP hated him, not the way he ran up and celebrated with him I should say

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CamSaint said:

I'm sure that the fanbase at large was expecting him to have had a major impact after the WC break. in reality, ABK and Salisu were missing for a large part of that period while KWP & Lavia were recovering from significant injuries - in fact Lavia still does not appear to be ready for a full 90 minutes yet. Those 4 constitute a significant part of the defensive unit, and with them not practicing much together during the break, it may explain why he kept chopping and changing with the defensive set-up when we re-started. Just a thought.

That might be the case, but it still doesn't excuse the absolutely pathetic display against a piss poor Forest team. Had we won that, then Jones would not have got the grief he is getting now. 

• Like 3

With all due respect we are customers for Southampton FC - it is not a great business model for the Manager of a brand to slag off, disrespect or antagonise its customers - 10,000 empty seats is testament to that.

As for the Palace game and in all due respect he gets paid £100k a week whereas we had to shell out a lot of cash, battle transport strikes and crap whether and in the 1st 20 mins we were one down and if I remember rightly they had just hit the cross bar and the Saints fans were expecting another Forest clusterfuck of a game - it was spontaneous as prior to that we had been supporting the team  - if we are going to served up utter garbage then its our right to voice our opinion and whether it was that or not we played well after that and the crowd were fully behind the team.

I will struggle to ever like him after he tried to defend that Forest performance and blamed the fans for making up that we played long ball and saying that we battered them with no shots on target for 90 mins - if he was just honest and said it wasnt our best performance and we will improve then people will give him time if they start to see improvements, a plan and settled structure.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, richardc said:

With all due respect we are customers for Southampton FC - it is not a great business model for the Manager of a brand to slag off, disrespect or antagonise its customers - 10,000 empty seats is testament to that.

As for the Palace game and in all due respect he gets paid £100k a week whereas we had to shell out a lot of cash, battle transport strikes and crap whether and in the 1st 20 mins we were one down and if I remember rightly they had just hit the cross bar and the Saints fans were expecting another Forest clusterfuck of a game - it was spontaneous as prior to that we had been supporting the team  - if we are going to served up utter garbage then its our right to voice our opinion and whether it was that or not we played well after that and the crowd were fully behind the team.

I will struggle to ever like him after he tried to defend that Forest performance and blamed the fans for making up that we played long ball and saying that we battered them with no shots on target for 90 mins - if he was just honest and said it wasnt our best performance and we will improve then people will give him time if they start to see improvements, a plan and settled structure.

I dont think10,000 empty seats have anything to do with what NJ says. It was live on Sky, terrible weather, economics, and the fact the most optimistic fan would expect a thumping. It is not great going to a home game, seeing the side battered and have to endure the celebrating away fans. 

The seats will soon fill once there is hope,.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That might be the case, but it still doesn't excuse the absolutely pathetic display against a piss poor Forest team. Had we won that, then Jones would not have got the grief he is getting now. 

Why do we only give Jones grief for the Forest game? Do you think he actively told players to look lost with the ball at their feet, lose all sense of innovation and eventually aimlessly lump it forward?

Why cant the likes of the super leader JWP speak at half time of that game? Or even better still when he's got the ball at his feet run past someone, play a one two, try something different? 

We look pissed poor against Forest because of a lack of quality in the side, especially when faced with a block and I warn you now, that will happen again on Saturday at times and we have to find some quality in the side to try and come up with something new. One big difference between the Forest and City game was the 11 other players on the pitch. City are happy to play out from the back and play into your pressing traps because they back themselves to play through it. Forest had no intention of that and their manager even said he instructed his team to drop deeper. We will have the same issue against Everton on Saturday and hopefully a new found momentum will contribute to some individuals taking some responsibility on the pitch and being inventive but it's bizarre that a manager takes so much flak for his players complete inability to think for themselves on the pitch (which is something this squad has lacked for a long time).

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

You are right, but it isn't helping to build a relationship with supporters. However, I don't think bridges can be built between him and some of the fans. Many have gone all in and won't want to lose face, even if he wins games going forward. 

I've not slagged him off, so when he niggles back I don't feel it is aimed at me. But it still comes across as petty. Like someone else said, he got the result, (and performance). That answered his critics. Nothing more needed to be said. 

I’d be absolutely delighted to lose face. It would mean we stayed up and who knows, maybe we finally win a cup? That would win over the whole fan base.

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chez said:

We have the least militant fanbase of any top 30 clubs...bar maybe Norwich

Few wins and all will be onside.

2 hours ago, richardc said:

100% agree, he brought a lot of the criticism on himself, with the performances and comments. 

I really hope I get egg on my face and he’s a fantastic manager. I would absolutely love that to be the case.

I also love that he’s giving some stick back. Imo this week has given him some breathing space and the club needs full backing now.

Time for some big positive atmospheres and less moaning. Up the fucking saints. 

• Like 3

Just feel NJ could have used last night to galvanise and get everyone pulling the same way again which would only help the atmosphere.  Could have easily said something like “I appreciate the football hasn’t been what this football club expects until today, but hopefully this performance shows what I expect from my sides, and with the crowd behind us…” 

What I don’t get is all this “it takes time to change momentum” and “I’m not a miracle worker” yet he was able to turn the Forest performance into last night in only 7 days… surely if we’d have taken the game to Brighton, Forest in the same way, things would be so different.

And to claim we dominated Forest is just bonkers.

Let’s just hope it converts into a point on Saturday and victory against Villa…

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Chez said:

I don't disagree with you that singing "your football is shit" wasn't the way to deal with things and agree that booing at the end of the game would have been more appropriate.

I also think you're talking a lot of sense re going after opposition players.

I don't agree re the being one of us. NJ made his bed when he very deliberately avoided using language like "we", "us", etc after each of the first few games - it was so reminiscent of saggy chops who also refused to take responsibility for his failures. It seems NJ is lacking the humility to be a really good leader and admit his mistakes. If he simply came out and said sorry I fucked up he would get a lot more respect.

• Like 2

Admin

Should we win on Saturday will you be removing all the faux Saints supporter trolls who have slated NJ on here from before he joined the club.

Now the team have begun to perform, you can already hear the screech of burnt rubber as they perform U turns.

You can easily identify them as they are so embarrassed they continue to refer to anything but NJs continued progress in the role by either giving large about the Forest game or how they 'would love to be proved wrong'. 

We even have some getting tearful that NJ does answer back when he gets abused.

Win or lose on Saturday, it does show every club has its contingent of plastic fans, no matter the length of time they purport to have supported us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Why do we only give Jones grief for the Forest game? Do you think he actively told players to look lost with the ball at their feet, lose all sense of innovation and eventually aimlessly lump it forward?

Why cant the likes of the super leader JWP speak at half time of that game? Or even better still when he's got the ball at his feet run past someone, play a one two, try something different? 

We look pissed poor against Forest because of a lack of quality in the side, especially when faced with a block and I warn you now, that will happen again on Saturday at times and we have to find some quality in the side to try and come up with something new. One big difference between the Forest and City game was the 11 other players on the pitch. City are happy to play out from the back and play into your pressing traps because they back themselves to play through it. Forest had no intention of that and their manager even said he instructed his team to drop deeper. We will have the same issue against Everton on Saturday and hopefully a new found momentum will contribute to some individuals taking some responsibility on the pitch and being inventive but it's bizarre that a manager takes so much flak for his players complete inability to think for themselves on the pitch (which is something this squad has lacked for a long time).

I used the Forest game as an example. We were poor enough in the other games, but that game was a whole new level of shite. Not even having a shot on target against a team that had only scored one away goal all season was just laughable. Jones didn't display any tactical nous in that game, yet a win against City yesterday and all the previous shit displays are forgotten. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not even having a shot on target against a team that had only scored one away goal all season was just laughable

Almost as laughable as a team playing against Saints and not having a shot on target... #PepOut ;)

• Haha 1

He’s had a rough ride from the smug short sighted elements of the fanbase that will always be the first to criticise but never offer up any solutions themselves.

and when he defends himself against their ire, they cry like giant man-babies.

I have only one thing further to say on the matter.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, chi saint said:

Admin

Should we win on Saturday will you be removing all the faux Saints supporter trolls who have slated NJ on here from before he joined the club.

Now the team have begun to perform, you can already hear the screech of burnt rubber as they perform U turns.

You can easily identify them as they are so embarrassed they continue to refer to anything but NJs continued progress in the role by either giving large about the Forest game or how they 'would love to be proved wrong'. 

We even have some getting tearful that NJ does answer back when he gets abused.

Win or lose on Saturday, it does show every club has its contingent of plastic fans, no matter the length of time they purport to have supported us.

Absolute state of this post… sure, fans complaining about being bottom of the league and losing at home to the only team worse than us, after a year of absolute shite at home are clearly “plastic” aren’t they. 

We have one of the most patient fan bases in the league. Most other clubs fans would have kicked off long ago. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Yesterday was an incredible performance, and Nathan Jones deserves plaudits for what is the biggest win in his career.

However, the theee league games since the World Cup have been unacceptable, and I cannot forget that Forest game in a hurry.

If he gets us playing well in the league and we move up then fair enough. But I'm still sceptical that he is the long-term solution. I do hope I am wrong.

couldn't agree more , Ralph had an attacking way of playing which we all want but we couldn't keep it up and ended up conceding all the time especially when we went ahead ! . Jones is trying to make us more solid hence a boring 4 league games,  great win over city and I can see a good relationship with the players . Haven't won at Goodison in a long time ? I think we might be ready here ?!! stop giving him shit and let's  back him and get behind everyone involved with the club 

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Well now, Potter looks like he might be gone very shortly, tough decisions need to be made....

Think it's pretty obvious SR are sticking with Jones. Even if they do sack him, Potters not gunna jump straight in to a relegation dogfight with us.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!