Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

2 hours ago, chi saint said:

Admin

Should we win on Saturday will you be removing all the faux Saints supporter trolls who have slated NJ on here from before he joined the club.

Now the team have begun to perform, you can already hear the screech of burnt rubber as they perform U turns.

You can easily identify them as they are so embarrassed they continue to refer to anything but NJs continued progress in the role by either giving large about the Forest game or how they 'would love to be proved wrong'. 

We even have some getting tearful that NJ does answer back when he gets abused.

Win or lose on Saturday, it does show every club has its contingent of plastic fans, no matter the length of time they purport to have supported us.

Oh dear me. You absolute prat 😆

• Like 10

2 hours ago, chi saint said:

Admin

Should we win on Saturday will you be removing all the faux Saints supporter trolls who have slated NJ on here from before he joined the club.

Now the team have begun to perform, you can already hear the screech of burnt rubber as they perform U turns.

You can easily identify them as they are so embarrassed they continue to refer to anything but NJs continued progress in the role by either giving large about the Forest game or how they 'would love to be proved wrong'. 

Win or lose on Saturday, it does show every club has its contingent of plastic fans, no matter the length of time they purport to have supported us.

WTF is this?

Nurse!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

every press conference with jones has the same questions from journos basically trying to make him chat sh*t about other people/clubs or keep trying to get comments out of him on fan toxicity. lots of people keep moaning about his comments but it’s all he gets asked, it’s like the press see him as vulnerable and so are trying to get any small story to take him down. 

Was just watching the everton one, and it’s the same pattern it’s rare to see under any other manager really. 

• Like 12

I enjoyed his comment where he said if he’d lost all the cup games and won the leagues games he’d be jumping round staplewood on a pogo stick. Genuinely made me laugh out loud. He’s actually pretty funny at times. Agree he keeps being asked the same questions in different ways to try and get him to retaliate.

He wasn’t an inspiring choice, he got off to a shocking start but the only way we get out of this mess is if we support the team and we build on the momentum of the last couple of games. Last night goes some way in my opinion to getting fans on side. We’ve beaten big teams before but usually needed luck like City not scoring from 27 shots on our goal or coming back from behind. One of the best performances in a long time surely gives everyone some belief that was clearly lacking beforehand. As Nathan says, we have now set the bar, let’s try and be as close to that as often as possible. More players to come in and improve the squad, there is hope where there was none, things can change fast in football.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2018 at 21:40, chi saint said:

I presume this is your first season, wait until you have been supporting Saints for some years then you may understand.

Nice to see that five years ago you were writing out the same shit as you are today.

The post above was accusing Lord Duckhunter of being in his first season of supporting Saints.

Strange absence on this forum for the entire reigns of Hughes and Ralph though. I can only assume Parkhurst.

4 minutes ago, chi saint said:

Ah a newbie to supporting the Saints. Gotta learn to roll with the punches little man. Ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

every press conference with jones has the same questions from journos basically trying to make him chat sh*t about other people/clubs or keep trying to get comments out of him on fan toxicity. lots of people keep moaning about his comments but it’s all he gets asked, it’s like the press see him as vulnerable and so are trying to get any small story to take him down. 

Was just watching the everton one, and it’s the same pattern it’s rare to see under any other manager really. 

I have no issue with the questions in the press conference. I also think that Jones come sout of that quite well to be honest. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

im only 8 mins in and it’s him just defending himself. Shocking, really. He has handled it quite well tbf.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

im only 8 mins in and it’s him just defending himself. Shocking, really. He has handled it quite well tbf.

I enjoyed this answer to Blackmore:

"It's four pronged, you have to be right physically, mentally, tactically and physically"

😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I enjoyed this answer to Blackmore:

"It's four pronged, you have to be right physically, mentally, tactically and physically"

😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂Always double check your physicals.

Edited by Crab Lungs

On 10/01/2023 at 07:01, Weston Super Saint said:

He (you?), hasn't earnt the right to criticise the fans yet!  He accepted the big boy contract, it's not like the frailties of the team have been hidden from view and it just so happens he's taken over a team that is shit (although on paper, shouldn't be THIS bad!).

Six weeks of what can essentially be considered 'pre season' training straight after taking over the team and we've gone backwards from what is probably our worst performances in years.  Two very lucky cup game wins but ZERO points won in the league and barely a shot on goal from a team that has no recognisable tactics.  There may be some master plan but so far it's all in his head and certainly not translated on the pitch.  Nothing there for him to have any sort of banter / relationship with the fans, especialy not one where he has the moral high ground!

Get some points on the board, get the team playing some sort of coherent football where they at least look like they are going to win games, then he might have a leg to stand on in the 'banter' stakes.  Until then, probably best for him to wind his fucking neck in and concentrate on being a manager rather than some sort of protaganist - leave the 'TED talkers' to do the 'disruption'.

Thank you, Nathan.  

One swallow doth not a summer make, but from Wednesday's performance the 'some sort of coherent football' bit seems to be in the making, as does the 'at least look like they are going to win games' bit, so credit where it's due.

Whilst it's been mentioned dozens of times that the 2 cup games were 'free hits', let's hope the last performance continues as we still have ZERO points won in the league, which is still a very worrying fact - but at least there is a chink of hope that this can be rectified.

I still think the 'wind his fucking neck in and concentrate on being a manager' bit is relevant, but I get that he has fighting spirit and wants to push back against the critics.  Sometimes, though, actions really do speak louder than words....

The line of questioning in interviews is very targeted to produce these kind of quotes that are going to polarise fans, so need to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt. 

I'm personally happy to listen to a real person speak a couple of times a week instead of a media trained bot. He's definitely a bit of a shit house but many good relegation fighting managers have been.  Fingers crossed him and the team have turned a corner on the field and we start seeing some league results to back up his confidence. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Very good point, but it's rare to see fans wanting a manger out after three games and openly describing his football as shit, so I guess it's not surprising the journalists are pressing that issue relentlessly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chi saint said:

Admin

Jesus says you should forgive, Nath.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

“I have ignored everything really. Some of it’s justified, some of it’s not. I think I’ve handled myself with real dignity in recent weeks.”

Not exactly true NJ...

Saints fans hardly covered themselves in glory.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I have no issue with the questions in the press conference. I also think that Jones come sout of that quite well to be honest. 

Indeed. He's made an impression on Football365 anyway...

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-nathan-jones-southampton-part-brendan-part-sherwoo

Screenshot_20230113_095736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6185b93db3004176b53ad5f4eb50f010.jpg

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because they complained that shit football was shit?

Because a lot of ‘fans’ through threw toys out of their prams. Didn’t give the new owners etc a chance to try and change something that has been also slagged off for the last 4 years. 

when he gave it back the fragile fan couldn’t handle it back. ‘How dare he’ ….. ‘it’s not in his remit’ …. Not covering himself in glory.  He might be the wrong appointment but in 40 years of supporting saints I don’t think I have ever seen us behave like this. I always thought we were fair. But this has been personal from thousands towards him. 

anyway, I’ll be going tomorrow and supporting 100 percent the team. 

tin hat on 

Edited by Saintscummer
  • Like 8

What he should have done, given this constant talk about building performances since he came here is, after the City game where he's earned a bit of credit in his account, he should have looked up yesterday and admitted that Notts Forest performance was absolutely disgraceful. Don't give out this bull about "one mistake cost us" because that doesn't even begin to tell the story of just how inept that 90 mins was.

He would have gone up in a lot of doubters estimation if he had been honest and said "yes, the Forest game was shit but as you can see since then we have moved on, got better....etc etc" 

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

Because a lot of ‘fans’ through threw toys out of their prams. Didn’t give the new owners etc a chance to try and change something that has been also slagged off for the last 4 years. 

when he gave it back the fragile fan couldn’t handle it back. ‘How dare he’ ….. ‘it’s not in his remit’ …. Not covering himself in glory.  He might be the wrong appointment but in 40 years of supporting saints I don’t think I have ever seen us behave like this. I always thought we were fair. But this has been personal from thousands towards him. 

anyway, I’ll be going tomorrow and supporting 100 percent the team. 

tin hat on 

👍

30 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

What he should have done, given this constant talk about building performances since he came here is, after the City game where he's earned a bit of credit in his account, he should have looked up yesterday and admitted that Notts Forest performance was absolutely disgraceful. Don't give out this bull about "one mistake cost us" because that doesn't even begin to tell the story of just how inept that 90 mins was.

He would have gone up in a lot of doubters estimation if he had been honest and said "yes, the Forest game was shit but as you can see since then we have moved on, got better....etc etc" 

Yes it was dreadful against forest as bad as i can remember. Fans were rightly angry.

But goals change games and if we hadn't given them a soft goal then the fans wouldn't have jumped on their backs during the game, the atmosphere woudlnt have been so toxic and their already fragile confidence smashed yet further down. 

Now look at Palace, one down its starting to get toxic but we get a lucky goal from a FK and  the game changes for the better. I do understand our support is also effected by the levels of perceived effort during the game as well.

Fans have a massive part to play in our relegation battle and i just hope we can keep the toxicity out of our support and help the club turn the corner. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Yes it was dreadful against forest as bad as i can remember. Fans were rightly angry.

But goals change games and if we hadn't given them a soft goal then the fans wouldn't have jumped on their backs during the game, the atmosphere woudlnt have been so toxic and their already fragile confidence smashed yet further down. 

Now look at Palace, one down its starting to get toxic but we get a lucky goal from a FK and  the game changes for the better. I do understand our support is also effected by the levels of perceived effort during the game as well.

Fans have a massive part to play in our relegation battle and i just hope we can keep the toxicity out of our support and help the club turn the corner. 

I get what you are saying about the Forest game, but we were still a complete clusterfuck of a team even at 0-0. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

100% this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wild-saint said:

will be interesting how the Everton fans are tomorrow. They played a massive part in them staying up last season. Hopefully they turn on their team and we can take advantage, if we give them anything to rouse them and that will be a major negative for our chances

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to publicly say the players on the night were dog shit and couldn’t control the ball, pass the ball and hid behind players so they wouldn’t have to get on the ball 

Anyone expecting Jones to behave in the ways being suggested in this thread is going to be very disappointed.  He's short and Welsh*, so already a chip on both shoulders.  He's had to scrap his way for everything he's got so he's bristly, chippy and ready to fight anyone.  Add to that he's a football manager, which means he's obsessed and permanently stressed.  He reminds me of Gordon Strachan.  I hope if he gets a period of success with us, we'll see some Strachan-style humour to go with his confrontational style.   I expect him to keep having a pop at anyone who crosses him. For now he feels slighted by (a section of) the fanbase so he'll keep attacking that until he feels he's been vindicated.  I don't worry about him bearing a grudge. I imagine he'll polarise us unless/until he's universally regarded as successful.

As for the narrative about our form, there really is no point analysing the rights and wrongs of what he says.  He is building a narrative, principally for his players, that he believes gives them the best chance of performing in the future.  In many ways he is the antithesis of Ralph who I sometimes thought was 'too honest' and not protective enough of his players. As a human I'm not sure NJ is someone I will warm to (but then I didn't really to Koeman or Strachan), but as a manager if he can turn us round then it could be very exciting.

Personally I still don't have a clear feeling about whether he can be successful here.  From all that I see though, Sports Republic are serious players and we should have higher expectations in the medium term than we had under the previous regime.

Finally, although agnostic myself, I quite like the God stuff he references.  It's one thing being a believer, it's something else to wear it publicly as a badge of honour, so fair play to him for that.He sticks he chest out and dares people to have a pop at him.  I like that.

* I realise this might seem racist, or at least stereotyping.  I'm biased by one of my closest friends who's short and Welsh, and also by hanging out a lot with Welsh Rugby fans, who are powered by the same anti-English venom that Scottish football fans seem to have in their veins.

• Like 4

JwP on the radio earlier......

Stated that huge confidence from the last 2 games

Need to keep a loud goodison quiet as much as possible and believe we can get a result

We had become far too nice.  Nice club, nice games for away fans down on the coast, nice to play against, just nice all over

New manager demands that we are not nice, not nice to play against and make it a not nice experience for away teams at St Marys

New manager is shaping us up to be more resilient in defence as we were just not good enough

Always try to be a leader by setting the example on/off the pitch

We had to be aggressive after the Forest game.  We all needed to tell each other some home truths and it got heated

Brilliant to clear the air as the Forest game was just not acceptable from the players

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Need to keep a loud goodison quiet as much as possible and believe we can get a result

We had become far too nice.  Nice club, nice games for away fans down on the coast, nice to play against, just nice all over

New manager demands that we are not nice, not nice to play against and make it a not nice experience for away teams at St Marys

New manager is shaping us up to be more resilient in defence as we were just not good enough

We had to be aggressive after the Forest game.  We all needed to tell each other some home truths and it got heated

Brilliant to clear the air as the Forest game was just not acceptable from the players

Although nice to hear would rather they do talking on pitch with points.

Tomorrow is a massive game just hope they don’t freeze and bottle it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not really anything new. Time to do the talking on the pitch.

We’ve heard all this from JWP for a while now, and even PEH - just to give context as to how long this crap has been talked about. 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’ve heard all this from JWP for a while now, and even PEH - just to give context as to how long this crap has been talked about. 🤣

Seem to remember Claus was a good 'rent-a-quote' along a similar theme in 2005 as well.

• Like 1

I can't stand fans who consider themselves morally superior in their own minds. I would love absolutely nothing more than Jones to take his abrasive and slightly hostile personality and win every game between now and the end of the season, shouting volleys of abuse at the fans the entire time. We were superb at Man City and it gives him some time now and a bit of breathing space but the Forest game will live long in the memory for many as the worst performance from a saints team in decades. Just because he performed really well on Monday does not suddenly erase that or mean that fans were wrong. It's his job now to get the points required and get everyone on side. Had he shown prior to Monday even small signs of improvement then he would have had a lot more support and leeway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I can't stand fans who consider themselves morally superior in their own minds. I would love absolutely nothing more than Jones to take his abrasive and slightly hostile personality and win every game between now and the end of the season, shouting volleys of abuse at the fans the entire time. We were superb at Man City and it gives him some time now and a bit of breathing space but the Forest game will live long in the memory for many as the worst performance from a saints team in decades. Just because he performed really well on Monday does not suddenly erase that or mean that fans were wrong. It's his job now to get the points required and get everyone on side. Had he shown prior to Monday even small signs of improvement then he would have had a lot more support and leeway. 

But do you not think it will take a period of change to go from Ralphball to a new way and sometimes it will get worse before it gets better. 

Wasn’t Arteta getting called out in his first half season ? Forest was crap but it’s not like we have had ten games of that from NJ. I was at Fulham and Palace and I could see it changing all the time. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Maybe one of the main differences is that they had a meeting when home truths were aired and it got quite heated. Things that had been stored up maybe came out and it cleared the air and worked as a bit of a reset. Whatever the reasons the performance against City was exactly what the fans want and the passion, effort, desire, commitment, drive, skill and willingness to all dig in together for the good of the team must be maintained or even intensified. We cannot afford to revert to type and tomorrow is a massive game. I guess we'll learn a lot by the final whistle. 3 points would be fantastic but I'd probably take a draw if the performance is a good one.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

But do you not think it will take a period of change to go from Ralphball to a new way and sometimes it will get worse before it gets better. 

Wasn’t Arteta getting called out in his first half season ? Forest was crap but it’s not like we have had ten games of that from NJ. I was at Fulham and Palace and I could see it changing all the time. 

No I think he had what amounted to a preseason and prior to that game we had regressed and got significantly worse. What fans want is effort and signs that we are getting somewhere. We had that on Monday but before that we had neither. Perfectly acceptable to react negatively to that, particularly considering who Jones is and his track record outside of Luton. 

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Maybe one of the main differences is that they had a meeting when home truths were aired and it got quite heated. Things that had been stored up maybe came out and it cleared the air and worked as a bit of a reset. Whatever the reasons the performance against City was exactly what the fans want and the passion, effort, desire, commitment, drive, skill and willingness to all dig in together for the good of the team must be maintained or even intensified. We cannot afford to revert to type and tomorrow is a massive game. I guess we'll learn a lot by the final whistle. 3 points would be fantastic but I'd probably take a draw if the performance is a good one.   

Absolutely. Great post. Saturday for me will show if we have something here or if Monday was the anomaly. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

By that rationale, the worse will be relegation. We simply had to have a new boss that could have made an instant impact. We don't have time to go through a period of change, we need results. The non performances against Brighton and Forest were not what was reqiuired. He had 6 weeks during the break to sort out a formation and a team that could at least show some fight and battle. The two home games produced neither. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

By that rationale, the worse will be relegation. We simply had to have a new boss that could have made an instant impact. We don't have time to go through a period of change, we need results. The non performances against Brighton and Forest were not what was reqiuired. He had 6 weeks during the break to sort out a formation and a team that could at least show some fight and battle. The two home games produced neither. 

I can honestly say I would currently hate to manage us. We as fans are giving hardly any slack for someone to find their feet. If we lost tomorrow it will be like Armageddon. We will have twenty more games to go. 

just wish people would collectively get behind what’s happening and not demand it or expect it. 

just my opinion of course. We have been about the 15th best team in the top flight for about thirty of the last fourty years. What we have achieved in comparison to virtually all our peers ( Sunderland, Coventry, Norwich, QPR, Oldham, Forest, Pompey the list goes on ) is amazing. I think we as fans have lost a lot of perspective. 

Edited by Saintscummer
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

I can honestly say I would currently hate to manage us. We as fans are giving hardly any slack for someone to find their feet. If we lost tomorrow it will be like Armageddon. We will have twenty more games to go. 

just wish people would collectively get behind what’s happening and not demand it or expect it. 

just my opinion of course. We have been about the 15th best team in the top flight for about thirty of the last fourty years. What we have achieved in comparison to virtually all our peers ( Sunderland, Coventry, Norwich, QPR, Oldham, Forest, Pompey the list goes on ) is amazing. I think we as fans have lost a lot of perspective. 

I get what you are saying, and we as a club are fractured and disjointed. I guess when the club finally had the balls to sack Ralph, I was expecting a new guy to absolutely hit the ground running with the new ideas and a fresh approach. What I didn't expect was Nathan Jones. It's customary to replace one outgoing manager with someone who is better than the previous incumbent. Am very unsure if we have actually done that in this instance. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!