Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

Like others he's starting to win me over mainly I think because he wants the team to be more aggressive which was missing under Ralph. Jones is very quickly turning us into a side that will use the dark arts when needed in exactly the same way as all other clubs do and that includes the best sides. We've been far too timid and soft for far too long and that breeds losers. He's come out and said several times we are way too passive and he's spot on. He's getting that side of our game sorted and that will make us harder to beat and hopefully lead to more victories as shown in the last 7 days. If you take away the Forest game the rest hasn't been awful and you can at least see what he's trying to achieve. Brighton beat us at a canter but they're proving how good they are and beating everybody - I reckon if we played that match again we'd give them a far tougher game. Fulham we were in with a shout of 1 or even 3 points right up to the end and they have beaten most sides put in front of them so our easier run actually included two of the form teams. Getting a win at Everton at the end of a real tough week and after the exertions of the midweek game against City was a massive result bearing in mind our horrendous record there. So plenty of positives and let's hope for another win against Villa.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Beginning to accept I may have been wrong about Nathan Jones. Win against Villa and I'll be on board the train

I'm glad I never resorted to the vitriol and hatred others did, but I definitely thought he was out of his depth and must admit he's turning me round as well. 

• Like 6

Post Match Press Conference

He still isn't keen on counting that Liverpool game. "Naivity or bravery" is how he's describing that one.  Maybe he didn;t contemplate the subsequent defeats, and that first one being added to the stats of winless games. I'd have been disapointed had he not wanted to have got stuck in. It wouldn't have been like him, by all accounts, and would have set the wrong tone of a manager looking after his record, rather than the club. He did the right, and it wasn't a rubbish performance. It's the ones after that, he got stick for (and the varaious levels of feeling regarding the appointm,ent in general)

Describes JWP's attitude as world class. It's mean, but part of the comments on the appointment were that NJ simply hasn't had the exposure to what world calss really is. It can be harder to make the transaition to higher levels of even basic requirements across a squad, if you've not had experience at those levels. Not that it can't be overcome, and there are any number of examples where it has. But I do undesrstand the point. NJ's methods do seem to involve analysis that can be tailored for various levels, which matched SR approach too.

JWP to be playing in the Premiership for a few years yet. Quiet confidence of us staying up from the manager? Or an early warning JWP is on his way, should we go down? I'm sure it was intended as the first (although I'd not begrudge him a move, should the worst happen).

Gives himself credit for "brave decision" on Alcaraz being on, and  is open about not necessarily wanting to have had him on for so long, but that a change was needed. There was risk in it, but something was needed. Keen to assess Alcaraz as "not pulling up trees" with performance, but explains why that was and what's to come really well.

Orsic not coming on questioned. Up to manager, I'd have thought. No questions asked about any of the others. No one has a right to go straight into the first team on arrival. Not least because there are plenty of things to learn. Diallo got booked and AMN had to come on. Shows we're a bit light in that midfield 3. Just think what an even more motivated Romeu would have been like under NJ >sigh<

He's very open about players in his answers. He's kept all of these with positive outcomes, so he knows what he's doing there. Despite being forthright, he's not throwing anyone under the bus here.

Accepts some of the criticism was fair, and honest in calling some of it ridiculous. Which is right enough.

Good assessment over trying to pressure them regarding their home support (and protesting). Fair in how that worked out, and how they tried to get that back following the opener.

Good interaction with the press. Answers the questions asked, and takes them on board. Talks about impact of cup on squad. Nice distraction, but still a distraction. I'm more about the league, so it would be dispointing if the cup knocked morale or gave us injury worries, in such a tough time in the league.

Nice to see Ely get some credit. He has worked really hard across lots of positions. Nice to see that being called out.

NJ open about the players asking him to change tactic. He didn't. He was a little caught trying to explain that he's the boss being paid to make the tough choices, while also being open to player input. Got there in the end, espeically when he said he'd explained that there was soemthign else he was going to that would be better supported by the 5.

No tough questions after a win, so no real sign of his prickly moments. determination, aggression and passion are keywords. He's well aware of the league position, and will hopefully beign working very hard to not let standards drop. Consistency is not only nice to have, but as we still prop up the (admiteedly close) table, is still a necessity.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Maybe the “chippy little Welsh twat” knows what he is doing after all!  

Some of us thought that all along.

27 of us, most accused of being him or his family, voted no in the sacking poll.

Now I realise why you pay such attention to my posts, you want to learn. Good lad, you’re never too old to gain understanding  . 😂

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 6

There must be some very embarrassed people on this thread!  Nothing has changed for me, which was to judge him at end of January albeit I never thought that would include two semi-finals.

I think that there is no improvement in attacking patterns from Ralph, but there is huge improvement in two areas, namely defensive resolve and midfield work rate and organisation.  That is why we are not shipping more than one goal per game, and he deserves massive credit for that.  Players seem hugely supportive of him, which is a nice bonus but not the be all and end all.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

There were very very few who would have stated that directly after that Notts Forest horror show.

This is the issue though. The bloke has been here 5 minutes and gets crucified for a poor performance when he is still finding his way. It’s the same for new signings, if they don’t start brilliantly they are instantly labelled as useless and a bad buy (Mane being a perfect example). He wasn’t the worst manager in the world when he first started and he isn’t the greatest manager in the world now, but we won’t know how this is going to play out for a while, so why not just give the guy a chance? It’s the same on here after every defeat or poor performance, it is the end of the world and someone has to be hung out to dry. Two big well established clubs are struggling with us at the moment which just goes to show how difficult it is to compete in the EPL. None of us has the divine right to win football matches and although it is frustrating when things aren’t going well, the amount of vitriol and abuse thrown at people who are just trying to do their jobs and turn things round when they aren’t going well is often off the scale. Climbing the table involves everyone pulling together and getting behind the club. Calling for the new manager to be sacked after a handful of games really wasn’t great. The owners have obviously seen something in him and have trusted him to do the job, the least we can do is to stop abusing him (“chippy little Welsh twat” 🙄) and to give him a chance to show what he can do over the rest of the season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm glad I never resorted to the vitriol and hatred others did, but I definitely thought he was out of his depth and must admit he's turning me round as well. 

I think the more success we have the more it's clear that it was the players not understanding or implementing what Jones wanted. I am happy to say I was one of those people and absolutely delighted that Jones is showing character to come through that difficult period with the players now seemingly onside. 

• Like 4

When I stuck up not for him but to give him a chance some 🛎 end accused me of being his family. 

it scared me to think of a typical football fan running a club. It would be like Pompey under redknapp. 

I was at the Fulham and Brighton games and things were not that bad. Forest was one game but people even now are crapping on about it. One game under a new manager. 

we might go down and we might have the wrong manager but the lunatics nearly took over the asylum. That’s more scary 

17 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This is the issue though. The bloke has been here 5 minutes and gets crucified for a poor performance when he is still finding his way. It’s the same for new signings, if they don’t start brilliantly they are instantly labelled as useless and a bad buy (Mane being a perfect example). He wasn’t the worst manager in the world when he first started and he isn’t the greatest manager in the world now, but we won’t know how this is going to play out for a while, so why not just give the guy a chance? It’s the same on here after every defeat or poor performance, it is the end of the world and someone has to be hung out to dry. Two big well established clubs are struggling with us at the moment which just goes to show how difficult it is to compete in the EPL. None of us has the divine right to win football matches and although it is frustrating when things aren’t going well, the amount of vitriol and abuse thrown at people who are just trying to do their jobs and turn things round when they aren’t going well is often off the scale. Climbing the table involves everyone pulling together and getting behind the club. Calling for the new manager to be sacked after a handful of games really wasn’t great. The owners have obviously seen something in him and have trusted him to do the job, the least we can do is to stop abusing him (“chippy little Welsh twat” 🙄) and to give him a chance to show what he can do over the rest of the season.

Typical Soggy. 

Pages & pages of people wanting him sacked, with just a few of us defending him, no sign of Soggy urging us to remain calm and give him a chance. . All of a sudden he wins 3 games and  here comes Soggy preaching. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

When I stuck up not for him but to give him a chance some 🛎 end accused me of being his family. 

it scared me to think of a typical football fan running a club. It would be like Pompey under redknapp. 

I was at the Fulham and Brighton games and things were not that bad. Forest was one game but people even now are crapping on about it. One game under a new manager. 

we might go down and we might have the wrong manager but the lunatics nearly took over the asylum. That’s more scary 

As another Jones in traveller who also received a load of clog, I agree with every word. Some people clearly jumped the shark when we had a non league manager stating; he’s out of his depth, Lyanco wouldn’t get in the Havant side, and bizarrely that a bloke who hasn’t played since, faked his injury. Posters lapped it up. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forester said:

There must be some very embarrassed people on this thread!  Nothing has changed for me, which was to judge him at end of January albeit I never thought that would include two semi-finals.

I think that there is no improvement in attacking patterns from Ralph, but there is huge improvement in two areas, namely defensive resolve and midfield work rate and organisation.  That is why we are not shipping more than one goal per game, and he deserves massive credit for that.  Players seem hugely supportive of him, which is a nice bonus but not the be all and end all.

I would say scoring two goals in each of the last 3 games, 2 of which were away and a home game against City shows that Jones is beginning to improve the attacking areas compared to what Ralph was achieving. Agree he's tightened the defence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, the personal abuse towards jones, in the stands, on social media and on here was an absolute disgrace. I really hate the idiots that follow our club. 

Jones was on a hiding to nothing from the get go, we, the fans didn’t want him. Mostly because he wasn’t a trendy name and Luton aren’t a trendy club. 

That being said, he was manager of the season in the championship last year, if he came with a Spanish name and had coached under Pep most would have been delighted. 

Personally, I was kinda on the fence, but leaned more towards the out camp, especially after the Brighton and Forest games which were some of the worst football I think I’ve seen. I feared he was out of his depth and tbh, didn’t think it was a great appointment. I’m still not sure it was, but he’s done enough to warrant the end of the season now, for me. 

My major concern is his management style, whist improving, doesn’t seem to suit our transfer strategy of young kids from a city style of play. Although, Lavia seems to have adapted pretty well, so perhaps that concern is nonsense. 

Personally, I think anyone who came in after Ralph had a difficult job. We have the fundamentals of being a decent PL squad, but we simply make too many individual mistakes and seem to lack any confidence. 

Like it or not, the rot (lack of confidence) started with Ralph a long time ago and it will be deeply imbedded in the squad. 

It seems that as a squad we are learning and adapting to Jones style, I think a large portion of the early poor performances were not understanding his system, which obviously isn’t a great reflection on him / his coaching - but seemingly, something has changed and we seem to have gone back to basics a little. 

Inthink we’ll still go down under Jones, I think we would have under 90% of the managers we could have appointed, but I’m starting to like what he brings to the table. Aggression, fight & desire. 

• Like 2

Jones' style is very physical, and that risks injury for younger players, so they'll need to be looked after. 

I thought it was a good week though, was that the first win at Everton for 20 years, plus it was the first time City has no shots on goal for 4 or 5 years. 

I think you need another central defender, and a striker, at least. I think it'll be up and down for a few weeks, then you'll go on a run once things start to bed in. 

I watched the City match, it was one of the best performances against them I've seen

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James G said:

Jones' style is very physical, and that risks injury for younger players, so they'll need to be looked after. 

I thought it was a good week though, was that the first win at Everton for 20 years, plus it was the first time City has no shots on goal for 4 or 5 years. 

I think you need another central defender, and a striker, at least. I think it'll be up and down for a few weeks, then you'll go on a run once things start to bed in. 

I watched the City match, it was one of the best performances against them I've seen

Lavia certainly seems to be being eased back in, which is encouraging to see. Against both Man City and Everton he was taken off just following the 60 minute mark. Sensible, we really can’t afford him breaking down again.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Absolute horseshit as usual.

It had everything to do with timing, the 'winter break' during the world cup (essentially a 'pre-season') and the fact that we simply had to come out fighting against teams where we should, realistically, have picked up points.  6 or even 4 points from those three games shouldn't have been unreasonable in those circumstances which would have taken off an awful lot of pressure right now.

The turn around has been great and we have a team that is starting to look like a team and look like winning.

Make no bones about it though, we are a long way off being out of the woods right now.  By not securing the points in his first 3 games, we now have to win against teams in the top half of the table.  I'm not saying we won't, the signs are more positive, but we really can't afford any more banana skins.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Absolute horseshit as usual.

It had everything to do with timing, the 'winter break' during the world cup (essentially a 'pre-season') and the fact that we simply had to come out fighting against teams where we should, realistically, have picked up points.  6 or even 4 points from those three games shouldn't have been unreasonable in those circumstances which would have taken off an awful lot of pressure right now.

The turn around has been great and we have a team that is starting to look like a team and look like winning.

Make no bones about it though, we are a long way off being out of the woods right now.  By not securing the points in his first 3 games, we now have to win against teams in the top half of the table.  I'm not saying we won't, the signs are more positive, but we really can't afford any more banana skins.

Exactly this. Duckhunter seems to think he's on some sort of victory lap which is very bizarre considering we're still bottom of the league.

Personally I'm just happy we're winning and have a bit of momentum. Sadly some people seem to think winning means being contrarian all the time and then lording it when they feel like they've been proven wrong. Strange but hey ho, each to their own.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Lavia certainly seems to be being eased back in, which is encouraging to see. Against both Man City and Everton he was taken off just following the 60 minute mark. Sensible, we really can’t afford him breaking down again.

It's interesting, and there's alot of science behind it. When younger players are in the academy, they record growth spurts in the players, and they follow this over a long period of time. And with this data, they are able to calculate playing time, recovery time, and help reduce injuries. Every player is different. 

Problems arise when this data isn't available as not all clubs are into science, so when you buy younger players without pedigree, you are taking a bigger risk.

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

27 to be exact. 

9D868A3A-05C3-41D8-A773-43B44BE531DA.jpeg

Blimey I knew we were in the minority but that's a landslide. 

I voted no partly as thought Jones deserved a chance and also thought it unlikely we'd get a better replacement anyway 

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Can we call out those that absolutely let rip at him eight days ago. 👀

95% of people didn't want him as manager before and after his appointment, me included in that; but there was a small section that just went full blown attack on him and have done nothing but abuse him.

Where are they now?

Back on the Stoke message board?

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

95% of people didn't want him as manager before and after his appointment, me included in that; but there was a small section that just went full blown attack on him and have done nothing but abuse him.

Where are they now?

I don’t think that will help, we have been  horribly divided enough. The time to dig individuals out is when they start twisting the knife again, when we inevitably slip up. Anyone is entitled to change their opinion.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Where are they now?

No need to call them out. They’re all over the first 35 pages of this thread.

I was going to post about timing as well, but went to the shops while Weston was posting. 🙂

Looking at the table and upcoming fixtures, when Jones was appointed, I think it was perfectly reasonable to want the club to bringing in someone who could make quick adjustments to get points out of those games. Momentum gained from those points, would hopefully be enough to stay up when tougher fixtures arrived.

If you bring in someone with a proven record of dealing with such a position, then there's less risk than bringing in someone of Jones' experience. Perfectly reasonable to be concerned about Jones, following the announcement.

No one wants to get relegated (well nearly, as I know some prefer the winning, and entertainment of the lower divisions).

So, when results have not gone our way, it's also perfectly reasonable to raise concerns about the above.

Added to that was the failure to get a striker in over the summer, which cost Ralph, and won’t have helped Jones' start. Romeu’s departure was costly too, despite good work done elsewhere. That still hasn’t been addressed, and the club are putting pressure on a second manager now, in no small part because of this.

The dismal end of last season, and the fine margin defeats of this, run by striker-less Ralph, who no longer had the same level of autonomy, and possibly buy in, were also concerns. Jones has come into a lot of that flak aimed at owners and form.

Jones called out that he wasn’t a miracle worker. That was criticised as some thought they’d get, and wanted, that proven record manager to get that early bounce.

People are right to be concerned that there might be a transition for an undetermined length of time. We’d very possible find no way back, by the time it kicked in.

No surprise that concerns are raised over Rasmus employing a philosophy based less on proven, long term footballing success, to one where he thinks is smarter than the perceived wisdom. Any number of industries are littered with hangers-on, desperately trying to show their genius to the gullible.

Lots of people who wanted to give Jones a chance saw that games where we’d been losing by fine margins, were still being lost, and certainly in Forest, by much wider margins in those fixtures we were hoping to get points from. Perfectly reasonable to raise concerns here too, regardless of where you started off in support of the new manager.

There’s definitely as lots of different levels on how that concern is voiced. From sticking by a new appointment so early on regardless, through some disillusionment that it didn’t seem to be working, to ridiculous and embarrassing personal attacks on those involved as people.

The other side of all of the above is that we’ve got owners who have spent money over the summer, trying to improve a number of areas. We had a lot to improve, so the money had to be spread a bit. We have strengthened in some areas, not up front where it really counted. And form posts here, it would seem that the club were not very happy with some individuals regarding that.

Rasmus has previous with Brentford, and we’re cutting our cloth in a similar way to maximise our resources. It’s not going to work with every club. His particular methods might not even work outside Brentford. He can look to the underlying data to support his decisions. Although the date itself is incomplete and only part of the picture.  

They haven’t made knee jerk decisions. Jones was scouted over a prolonged period. If anything, they could, and despite best intentions should, have parted earlier with Ralph.

Ralph could have gone at any number of moments since their take over, but they stuck by him, knowing the good work he’d done previously. But also because that good work (found out or not) matched a number of the things they know they want in a manager.

From his press conferences, there’s no doubt Jones is prickly, determined, passionate, driven (and not necessarily in a healthy way). It would be fair to say he adds very human drivers to the data.

Ralph’s system arguably left us with a squad of unquestioning automatons, working with low confidence in broken or shored up systems. While we all wanted a quick bounce, it’s fair to firstly admit there are some cracks that just can’t be papered over and secondly expect that it can just take time to get larger changes across.

In early games, you could see the change in approach, even if it wasn’t clicking. By Forest, it looked as though the it wasn’t only not clicking, but that the squad had given up on the changes too.

It was telling that while we had a lot of posts about Jones’ level and his direct style, there were later suggestions that the players were finding the changes a bit complicated. I remember a departing player saying that RalphBall meant giving up a lot of ingrained ideas about playing. I imagine that it can be tough switching back too.

We’ve had a very good week. But we’re still bottom and the cups may be a distraction and a drain on the squad (my league-first hat on). We’re also not going to become world beaters overnight, and there will be plenty of bumps along the way. We can only hope that the hard work put in by staff and players is enough to keep us up, along with that new striker.

As above, there’s lots of different levels on how that praise can be voiced. From giving credit where it’s due, through some re-engagement after a shaky start and all the horrid form before it, to digging up every match comment and the people who had perfectly legitimate concerns, and lumping them in with those that lobbed personal abuse.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Forester said:

Embarrassed about voicing an opinion ? Absolutely not, its easy to sit on a fence and then come out with an I told you so

Embarassing would be to come out and portray the lie that you believed all along that you knew it would come good. We’re certainly going in the right direction but there is a LOT of football still to play

I stick to my initial assessment, tactically we were inept against our first 3 premier league opponents under Jones. A 3 at the back long ball game doesn’t suit and as a ‘club’ we’re suited to a more aggressive press.. unsurprisingly we’ve picked up since Jones changed his tactical approach 

Im more than happy to be wrong about him, but we needed a big improvement on the Forest game, over the moon we got one and long mag it continue

Sign a decent striker and work on our set piece defence and we should be ok

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Where are they now?

I didn’t but I’m more than happy to be proved wrong. Not sure if he is the right man or not but based on the results, the manner in which they have come about and the obvious camaraderie being shown by the players I’m more than happy to give him more time. If we stay up it will be down to him. If we don’t I will not be putting it at his door. It’ll be SR for dilly dallying about with RH. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Good point, someone should remind him that pride is a sin. 

25 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

With all due respect, by his own reckoning, this is all the work of God anyway. So, with all due respect, whatever happen this season has nothing to do with him.

Christian Times, 13/01/22, Sports Supplement.
Forum cheap shots on someone's beliefs will get double naughty points when judged at the pearly gates, whether they were predetermined by the structure of any deity's universe or not. 🙂

33 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Christian Times, 13/01/22, Sports Supplement.
Forum cheap shots on someone's beliefs will get double naughty points when judged at the pearly gates, whether they were predetermined by the structure of any deity's universe or not. 🙂

No cheap shots here, pride is absolutely a sin against god. It's trying to take credit for the lords work.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marsdinho said:

With all due respect, by his own reckoning, this is all the work of God anyway. So, with all due respect, whatever happen this season has nothing to do with him.

Ridiculous things to say, and reminds me of someone saying something very similar, with a very similar avatar, on another ‘Not’ thread, then campaigning that they weren’t trying to bang on about his religion etc.

Weird, that. But likely just a coincidence.

At the end of the day, he needed a chance to get the players up to his tactics etc, and who givers a shit if he mentions God, if up to him, just weird being pointed out to me.

Each to their own i guess. 

7 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Ridiculous things to say, and reminds me of someone saying something very similar, with a very similar avatar, on another ‘Not’ thread, then campaigning that they weren’t trying to bang on about his religion etc.

Weird, that. But likely just a coincidence.

At the end of the day, he needed a chance to get the players up to his tactics etc, and who givers a shit if he mentions God, if up to him, just weird being pointed out to me.

Each to their own i guess. 

Some of his players dont believe in the same god as him, after all there are thousands to choose from. 

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

No cheap shots here, pride is absolutely a sin against god. It's trying to take credit for the lords work.

Unless the lord, well known for being a smarty pants because he's seen all football matches ever, was speaking through Nathan about how pleased He was that His plan worked out. 

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Unless the lord, well known for being a smarty pants because he's seen all football matches ever, was speaking through Nathan about how pleased He was that His plan worked out. 

Didn't end well for the last person claiming to be speaking the word of God. 

3 minutes ago, benjii said:

People acting like we're now a well-oiled unit, rather than huff and puff merchants who ground out a win against terrible opposition. 

perhaps a quick word switch will reveal more...

Well-oiled people acting like we're now a unit, rather than huff and puff merchants who ground out a win against terrible opposition. 

Aha!  🙂

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Didn't end well for the last person claiming to be speaking the word of God. 

Yeah, could be some awkward moments ahead

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-09-08/southampton-fc-hummel-show-your-support-to-the-saints-lgbtq-fanbase

Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them

10 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

Yeah, could be some awkward moments ahead

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-09-08/southampton-fc-hummel-show-your-support-to-the-saints-lgbtq-fanbase

Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them

That LGBTQ+ shirt looks nicer every time I see it. It has horizontal stripes, but not hoops, and yet isn't the traditional stripes. A unifying contender for our next kit?

Certainly no trouble picking out direct passes in the Jones style to other players, which could be a tiny bit helpful to its effectiveness (whew, back nearer the thread subject) 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!