Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

27 minutes ago, JRM said:

Furthest right is a row of single seats famous at Newcastle for those who like a bit of social distancing it's not a missing block 

never-knew-we-had-single-seats-in-the-away-end-v0-xe4416td9ew91.thumb.jpg.80365150d5b5a91ff53e36f084e7b7d1.jpg

I stand corrected, didn't realise L7N was a single row of seats! So those 4 blocks must each hold around 700. The extra allocation must be L7H and part of L7F (with segregation).

34 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

I stand corrected, didn't realise L7N was a single row of seats! So those 4 blocks must each hold around 700. The extra allocation must be L7H and part of L7F (with segregation).

To be fair if we lose heavily at home on Tuesday night could probably just reduce our allocation to that row of single seats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we can somehow go up there with a lead, like Liverpool last time, it might encourage a few more to go. 

Being one of those who went to Liverpool, that night is why I sit through all the shit games, it was incredible. I’d encourage anyone that can make the trip to do so!

It was one of the best, not many gave us a chance up there especially with Van Dijk injured and Stephens playing, the bounce in the ground when Long goal hit back of the net was superb , any excuse to watch this again 👏 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, JRM said:

There will be plenty, when the tickets went on sale they had only made 4 blocks available holding the others back, looking now it is the same 4 blocks still on sale, others to the left of this image have not been put on yet. Block furthest to the right as you look at this with most seats available is the one nearest the corner flag. 

Screenshot_20230121-065614_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0fe3d2d03cb9b0a6b11844456f098c62.jpg

Ahhh, it would seem N doesn’t actually exist on our system? I looked at those singles originally and pretty sure they were included as M. Would make sense they’re N. Would suggest we’re probs at about 2k. Big take up Monday, and a result Tuesday, we take it all. Heavy defeat and the returns could tally up!! UTS

Edited by Saints-1994

17 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Will Orsic start ? Or are the prolific Adam’s and Elyamousie going to be ahead of him in the pecking order ?

Was watching some of the Newcastle game yesterday, they mentioned they've only lost in the league once all season and have best defensive record in the division ...when you combine that with our strikers ratio of chances per goal its not looking good 

Edited by JRM
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SheffieldSaint31 said:

Any update on rough number of tickets left for general sale?

Plenty left hardly any change, there's a few I know who are not season ticket holders or members waiting to buy tomorrow afternoon so hopefully get close to selling out 

On 21/01/2023 at 21:57, saintant said:

Burns at left back is clearly their weak link. Unfortunately I'm not sure who we have who could exploit that.

I get why you say that, but having conceded just 11 goals in 20 games with Burn at left back I don't think you can make a case for them having a weak link back there. We're going to have to hope to keep it tight at our end and rely on a bit of magic from someone from range I think. I'd actually probably take 0-0 now and go into the second leg as a one off 90 minutes (plus pens).

• Like 1

Cup games can be exciting affairs, however this is more of an ‘exiting’ affair. Newcastle have better players, a better manager, have better tactics, better discipline on and off the ball and last but not least, they score goals.  Then there’s the VAR decisions that will thwart even the briefest glimpse of a good game for us, such is the bias nowadays.

Think we will head into the 2nd leg 0-2 down…possibly 0-3. Oh well never mind, the apathy is starting to take hold so I’ll try and convince myself it doesn’t matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Cup games can be exciting affairs, however this is more of an ‘exiting’ affair. Newcastle have better players, a better manager, have better tactics, better discipline on and off the ball and last but not least, they score goals.  Then there’s the VAR decisions that will thwart even the briefest glimpse of a good game for us, such is the bias nowadays.

Think we will head into the 2nd leg 0-2 down…possibly 0-3. Oh well never mind, the apathy is starting to take hold so I’ll try and convince myself it doesn’t matter.

Facing Man City was an even more daunting task, how did that end? Remind me.

• Like 2

I bet you wonder why we even have cup competitions...😅🙈

• Haha 1

We have a bad decision on Saturday and that's turned into all the VAR decisions thwart us. Behave. Weve benefitted plenty of times from VAR.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

We have a bad decision on Saturday and that's turned into all the VAR decisions thwart us. Behave. Weve benefitted plenty of times from VAR.

To be honest I’m struggling. Bertrand getting sent off at home to Leicester was the first that game to mind. That was another case of the referee on the pitch not even seeing it as a foul. But I’m sure there must be the opposite somewhere.

I just don’t like VAR.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Facing Man City was an even more daunting task, how did that end? Remind me.

A broken clock is right twice a day. Obviously there’s some semblance of quality in the squad and enough that when it clicks it clicks really well.  Sometimes it’s easier beating the better teams - who knows, perhaps NJ said “look lads we’re probably not going to get much out of today - just go out there and express and enjoy yourselves” and hey presto they did just that?  Or to put it another way, the less of a clue NJ has, the more the players have to adapt and play their own game to their own strengths. Stranger things as they say… 😉

On 18/01/2023 at 19:23, Saint Garrett said:

Sounds about right. Hopefully saints should be able to look through the database and see who has recently registered with a Newcastle postcode…! 

Hopefully we can save money and get one of the spotty PHD virgins from the scouting department to knock up a quick macro to sort this.

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

A broken clock is right twice a day. Obviously there’s some semblance of quality in the squad and enough that when it clicks it clicks really well.  Sometimes it’s easier beating the better teams - who knows, perhaps NJ said “look lads we’re probably not going to get much out of today - just go out there and express and enjoy yourselves” and hey presto they did just that?  Or to put it another way, the less of a clue NJ has, the more the players have to adapt and play their own game to their own strengths. Stranger things as they say… 😉

Saints always play for a move when the big boys are in Town.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Just over a week away and still nothing from LNER or what services they can run, how is everyone else getting back on Wednesday?

Booked with Lumo, from what I can see they are not impacted by the strike 

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

To be honest I’m struggling. Bertrand getting sent off at home to Leicester was the first that game to mind. That was another case of the referee on the pitch not even seeing it as a foul. But I’m sure there must be the opposite somewhere.

I just don’t like VAR.

The only 2 VAR decisions I remember helping us were one where Djenepo handled the ball in the build up but we still got the goal and a penalty awarded to us vs BHA that was debatable as to whether it was in the box or not. 

We've had countless go against us.

1. Bertie red vs Leicester 

2. Birtie hand ball vs Wolves

3. Dendonker handball ignored vs Wolves (same game)

4. Ings offside by a thread or armband vs WHU

5. McTomminay handballing 3 times in the box, ignored.

6. Saints player kicked in head during a goal (can't remember which team)

7. Saturday

8. Player changing run to collide with Bednarek and sprawl over to get a penalty (Wolves again I think) 

That's just off the top of my head...

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

The only 2 VAR decisions I remember helping us were one where Djenepo handled the ball in the build up but we still got the goal and a penalty awarded to us vs BHA that was debatable as to whether it was in the box or not. 

1) Bertie red vs Leicester 

2) Birtie hand ball vs Wolves

3) Dendonker handball ignored vs Wolves (same game)

4) Ings offside by a thread or armband vs WHU

5) mcTomminay handballing 3 times in the box, ignored.

6) Saints player kicked in head during a goal (can't remember which team)

7) Saturday

8) Player changing run to collide with Bednarek and sprawl over to get a penalty (Wolves again I think) 

Matt Cash hand ball on the line versus Villa - not given. We've had loads of dodgy ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

1) Bertie red vs Leicester 

2) Birtie hand ball vs Wolves

3) Dendonker handball ignored vs Wolves (same game)

4) Ings offside by a thread or armband vs WHU

5) mcTomminay handballing 3 times in the box, ignored.

6) Saints player kicked in head during a goal (can't remember which team)

7) Saturday

8) Player changing run to collide with Bednarek and sprawl over to get a penalty (Wolves again I think) 

Kyle Walker away to Man City last season when Adam Armstrong got fouled

JWP getting upgraded to a red against Chelsea away last season

Che Adams for offside against United in the 9-0?

Matty Cash handball - Villa at home in 2020/21

Ings offside in same game too

Sure there is more

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

7. Saturday

8. Player changing run to collide with Bednarek and sprawl over to get a penalty (Wolves again I think) 

Martial diving in box and brushing past Bednarek...red card and pen

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

7. Saturday

To be fair, you tend to remember the ones that go against you more than when it's in your favour. We have been on the wrong end of some stinkers though.

The technology is fine, the only issue is it highlights the incompetence of the people making the decisions. The most glaring thing is it shows up how bad the off-side calling was prior to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saints-1994 said:

Do we know if H was ever put on sale? I know someone said they saw it but it wasn’t an option for me in my window! 

I think ‘H’ is in the additional blocks once the 2,800 are sold and we decide to put them on sale. Currently around 2,500 sold, the other 300 may go if still in it after Tuesday but can’t see the club chancing the extra allocation.

Edited by alehouseboys

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

7. Saturday

Fans of every PL team could come up with a similar list. It's not just Southampton that suffer at the hands of VAR, there's no conspiracy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

I think ‘H’ is in the additional blocks once the 2,800 are sold and we decide to put them on sale. Currently around 2,500 sold, the other 300 may go if still in it after Tuesday but can’t see the club chancing the extra allocation.

I’m in H.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Will allow it as it is a semi final and arguably the biggest game at St Mary's since the Liverpool semi

will allow it if they put extra flames on. normally If I get in the ground early I actively wait in the concourse to avoid light show and funeral march owts, but during a freezing cold night and cost of living crisis in mind, benefitting from a multimillion football clubs heating screams good idea. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Hello SheffieldGeordie, about 1,200. Mostly in the family centre, that rules them out...unless you're all kids...but a couple of hundred on general sale in the Chapel.

Still about 800 tickets left for tomorrow night, nearly all in "family stand" , but for this game I believe anyone can sit there you don't need to buy a kids ticket. 

This often happens for cup games when price is the same wherever you sit, those who normally sit in family area take the opportunity to sit in a different stand that usually costs a lot more. 

On 22/01/2023 at 20:44, JRM said:

Was watching some of the Newcastle game yesterday, they mentioned they've only lost in the league once all season and have best defensive record in the division ...when you combine that with our strikers ratio of chances per goal its not looking good 

Newcastle have conceded ONE Premier League goal since October.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic