Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

Newcastle fan in peace...

Hi guys, looking forward to tonights game, it should be. good close contest?

The tie won't be resolved tonight, though it will definitely be hard fought and there may be one goal in it at the end, it's the second leg which will be key I think, so I will be hoping after 90 minutes we haven't 'ballsed' it up and are still in with a shout ahead of the St James' return.

I see from one or two posters on here - some maybe with a 'Mackem' bias - that Newcastle fans are already booking London Hotels, flights etc. let me tell you that is total 'tripe', we have great respect for Saints and are taking absolutely 'nowt' for granted here, a Cup Semi Final is a foreign country for us (nearly 20 years actually) and we are both delighted to be in with a shout of progressing to a final, but apprehensive at the same time - just as we should be.

Anyway best of luck tonight, I hope its a great game and may the best team win, like I said it's the 2nd leg that will be crucial not this one.

Mighty Wyn

• Like 7

Thanks for the nice words mate but it's not 'tripe' at all that many Newcastle fans are booking hotels and planning Wembley meet ups. Only need to look round a few forums to see that there's definitely a section of your support planning cup final day.

Let's hope it's a good tie anyway with whoever the winner is also winning the final. 

Just now, EssEffCee said:

Thanks for the nice words mate but it's not 'tripe' at all that many Newcastle fans are booking hotels and planning Wembley meet ups. Only need to look round a few forums to see that there's definitely a section of your support planning cup final day.

Let's hope it's a good tie anyway with whoever the winner is also winning the final. 

they were also singing about going to wembley against fulham. bad luck to sing that in the league imo especially when they haven’t even got past us yet.

2 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

they were also singing about going to wembley against fulham. bad luck to sing that in the league imo especially when they haven’t even got past us yet.

Hopefully Jones and the players are aware of it as surely brings extra motivation.

I think it suits us for them to be so confident tbh as an underdog. Close game tonight and they'll be under huge pressure next week in front of an expectant support. May go in our favour if we can frustrate them.

20 minutes ago, MightyWyn said:

Newcastle fan in peace...

Hi guys, looking forward to tonights game, it should be. good close contest?

The tie won't be resolved tonight, though it will definitely be hard fought and there may be one goal in it at the end, it's the second leg which will be key I think, so I will be hoping after 90 minutes we haven't 'ballsed' it up and are still in with a shout ahead of the St James' return.

I see from one or two posters on here - some maybe with a 'Mackem' bias - that Newcastle fans are already booking London Hotels, flights etc. let me tell you that is total 'tripe', we have great respect for Saints and are taking absolutely 'nowt' for granted here, a Cup Semi Final is a foreign country for us (nearly 20 years actually) and we are both delighted to be in with a shout of progressing to a final, but apprehensive at the same time - just as we should be.

Anyway best of luck tonight, I hope its a great game and may the best team win, like I said it's the 2nd leg that will be crucial not this one.

Mighty Wyn

You'd have to play way below your current standards to balls up the first leg against us 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

With respect, all fans would do that - it's called optimism? I don't disagree that it is tempting fate though.

• Like 1

Bazunu

Lyanco DCC Salisu KWP

Lavia

JWP         Alcaraz/Diallo

Edozie     Mara    Orsic

Probably what i’d be hoping for. Not sure Che will be much use up against the land of the giants, would rather go at them with some pace and running, and keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. Orsic against Trippier probably best, and Edozie’s trickery against Burn on the other side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Newcastle have conceded ONE Premier League goal since October.

Yes its so good its almost as though there was a major sporting event that meant we had two months with no premier league football...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tunit said:

Newcastle have conceded ONE Premier League goal since October.

Who scored it? Oh - we did :)

They've only scored once in the last four premier league games as well...

and gone out of the FA Cup against lower league opposition...

Not saying they arent a good team because they obviously are but they arent invincible by any means especially if Guimares isnt playing

• Like 3

Our two football clubs couldn’t be any more different at the moment, and there’s total apathy around this semi final from a Saints perspective. Meanwhile NUFC appear to have the excitement that comes with supporting them now, and are hastily discussing the best way to get to Wembley. With all this in mind, it wouldn’t surprise me if we knock them out. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Who scored it? Oh - we did :)

They've only scored once in the last four premier league games as well...

and gone out of the FA Cup against lower league opposition...

Not saying they arent a good team because they obviously are but they arent invincible by any means especially if Guimares isnt playing

Bruno played at the weekend, he is fit.

Their top goalscorer in this competition has 1 goal. FWIW Adams is joint top scorer with 4. They don't score many lets be fair, but they are incredibly solid and rarely concede. If we can manage to get 1-0 tonight, it will be huge for us.  They did however score 4 against us in the league though...🙃

12 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Caballero

KWP DCC Salisu Perraud

Lavia Alcaraz

Orsic    JWP  A  Armstrong

Ballard

Lyanco will play, you just know it. 

How have we gone from having some of the best right backs in the league to playing him there?

9 minutes ago, Appy said:

Lyanco will play, you just know it. 

How have we gone from having some of the best right backs in the league to playing him there?

I’m sick of seeing the same shite every week.

Lyanco has done ok to be fair, but he isn’t a right back and he isn’t as good as the 2 cb’s I’ve picked.  Keeper is woeful, Diallo can’t pass for toffee and Adams couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Bazunu

Lyanco DCC Salisu KWP

Lavia

JWP         Alcaraz/Diallo

Edozie     Mara    Orsic

I'd be happy with this provided Alcaraz and Orsic are fit and ready (if not then you have to seriously ask what they've both been doing in training!) Would fancy this team to have a good go - and as a minimum i would drop diallo and start alcaraz! Ironically AA might actually do quite well against Newcastle. They sit there with an organised strong defence and are tidy in possession. I can't see long balls into Mara/Che achieving much against the likes of Burns, Schar, Botman - When we get a chance we need to be quick (i.e. counter or quick through balls) so maybe pace and movement might be the way to get at them.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Our two football clubs couldn’t be any more different at the moment, and there’s total apathy around this semi final from a Saints perspective. Meanwhile NUFC appear to have the excitement that comes with supporting them now, and are hastily discussing the best way to get to Wembley. With all this in mind, it wouldn’t surprise me if we knock them out. 

Not sure I agree that there's total apathy about it from our end. Everyone I've spoken to is absolutely buzzing for it.

The fact we've sold well over 2k tickets for a match 320 miles away on a Tuesday night in January demonstrates that there is no lack of enthusiasm for this tie .

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Would imagine this place will be horrendous if we lose tonight 😅

Don't think there can be many expecting anything other than a defeat - maybe a battling draw at best. The level of vitriol will be down to team selection, tactics and performance - pick the right players/tactics and have a right good go and we can't complain even if we lose. Let's see what happens.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Not sure I agree that there's total apathy about it from our end. Everyone I've spoken to is absolutely buzzing for it.

The fact we've sold well over 2k tickets for a match 320 miles away on a Tuesday night in January demonstrates that there is no lack of enthusiasm for this tie .

Never use this doom laden place for a barometer!

• Like 2

Don't see Newcastle fans supposedly buying hotel and train tickets for the final already an issue.   For me it makes sense....

If they win and get through then they have everything booked before the prices skyrocket with the whole of the north east trying to book.

If they lose then they just cancel it. (Presuming they'd booked hotels with free cancellation option and train through the likes of trainline where its only £10 to cancel) 

Edited by marc_saint
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Caballero

KWP   DCC  Salisu  Perraud

Lavia Diallo 

JWP      Alcaraz      Orsic

Mara

This would be my team for tonight. Let's get a good lead going into the second leg. 2-0 to us Orsic and Prowsey to score :) - COYR :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintZamboni said:

Bazunu

KWP  Lyanco    DCC   Salisu

Lavia

JWP    Alcaraz   
Orsic      Adams      Edozie

Willy for Baz and AA for Edozie but like the rest of the team. We need a lead going to St James' so would abandon the two DM with Diallo beside Lavia and go with Alcaraz more advanced

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Just wait for the Sky Sports love-in next week. Their coverage of their QF game was pathetic, a whole hour of build up interviewing everybody in the club worth interviewing, videos about their history and why winning cups means so much to a 'huge club'. Would love for us to spoil that

• Like 3

3 hours ago, marc_saint said:

Don't see Newcastle fans supposedly buying hotel and train tickets for the final already an issue.   For me it makes sense....

If they win and get through then they have everything booked before the prices skyrocket with the whole of the north east trying to book.

If they lose then they just cancel it. (Presuming they'd booked hotels with free cancellation option and train through the likes of trainline where its only £10 to cancel) 

Can’t blame their optimism given the way our respective seasons have gone. I’m as apathetic about this semi final as the one against Chelsea a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saintsfan79 said:

If fucking Bednarek starts tonight I'm going to start supporting Livershit. (The only club I hate just a little less than Portsmouth). 

Don't do it to me Jones.

"Fans" - you win some, you lose some. 

7 hours ago, Nolan said:

I want to see the new signings out tonight

Bazunu

KWP   DCC  Salisu  Peraud

Lavia Diallo 

Alcaraz     JWP      Orsic

Mara

Like this apart from Diallo, but not sure who I'd play there. Possibly Alcaraz instead and S Arnstrong on the right if fit.

Edited by Viking Saint

7 hours ago, Nolan said:

I want to see the new signings out tonight

Bazunu

KWP   DCC  Salisu  Peraud

Lavia Diallo 

Alcaraz     JWP      Orsic

Mara

God help us defending set pieces with that side. It's not wonder Jones plays Lyanco and mentioned the need for a little more size in the squad in his recent press conference.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Would imagine this place will be horrendous if we lose tonight 😅

I wouldn’t be that bothered with a narrow defeat. Win, lose or draw the tie is going to be decided at St James next week.

Part of me thinks we might have a better chance if Newcastle go into next week’s game thinking they just have to turn up and they are through. Obviously it would be great if we smash the cheating northern monkeys tonight but I don’t have much faith in us holding onto a narrow win up there.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic