Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I wouldn’t be that bothered with a narrow defeat. Win, lose or draw the tie is going to be decided at St James next week.

Part of me thinks we might have a better chance if Newcastle go into next week’s game thinking they just have to turn up and they are through. Obviously it would be great if we smash the cheating northern monkeys tonight but I don’t have much faith in us holding onto a narrow win up there.

Agreed. A narrow defeat tonight could well be the best way for us to achieve victory over the two legs...

I fully expected Lavia to play today and be rested for Blackpool. Very odd way round to rest him for the tougher game unless he's got a knock.

I'd prefer to see Elyounessi in the holding role over Diallo and that says something.

Other than that i'm glad to see Orsic start and that Djenepo is starting(as he played well in his cameo on Saturday and well against City so deserves the start)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Why no Lavia?

Lavia is quite obviously being managed for time on the pitch. Since coming back he’s been taken off on the hour mark in all of his games. We’d all prefer to see him in the lineup, though, and our lack of true backup for him is shocking. Blackpool cup game this weekend would be a better option to sit him out imo, but I don’t doubt that the call is at least somewhat being advised for the player’s longer term welfare.

• Like 1

Diallo apart, it's an exciting team. We'll learn a lot tonight.  Re Diallo, his misplaced passes are infuriating... BUT I think he does play a really important role in winning back the ball. He's constantly in people's face. NJ likes that kind of fire and commitment.  Lavia way better, but I get the need to protect him. Last thing we want is another hammy and six weeks off.  A huge amount for me depends on Alcaraz. If he can provide some real midfield solidity (plus, rumour has it, the ability to surge forward and spark our attacks), that will be huge. It's really been the missing piece all season. 

16 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I fully expected Lavia to play today and be rested for Blackpool. Very odd way round to rest him for the tougher game unless he's got a knock.

I'd prefer to see Elyounessi in the holding role over Diallo and that says something.

Other than that i'm glad to see Orsic start and that Djenepo is starting(as he played well in his cameo on Saturday and well against City so deserves the start)

Apparently he is being carefully managed (fitness) 

38 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I wouldn’t be that bothered with a narrow defeat. Win, lose or draw the tie is going to be decided at St James next week.

Part of me thinks we might have a better chance if Newcastle go into next week’s game thinking they just have to turn up and they are through. Obviously it would be great if we smash the cheating northern monkeys tonight but I don’t have much faith in us holding onto a narrow win up there.

31 minutes ago, trousers said:

Agreed. A narrow defeat tonight could well be the best way for us to achieve victory over the two legs...

By the same token I think we would need to win 5-0 tonight for me not to think we'd be the victim of the greatest second leg turnaround in cup history next week.

3-0 win and I think they'd turn it over no problem 🙄

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

By the same token I think we would need to win 5-0 tonight for me not to think we'd be the victim of the greatest second leg turnaround in cup history next week.

3-0 win and I think they'd turn it over no problem 🙄

Yeah, this... ;)

Edited by trousers

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic