Remaining PL fixtures

SupersonicSaint

With 16 games left of the season, what points tally do you think we'll end up on?

Below are our remaining games and what I reckon are probable results:

Chelsea (A) - L
Leeds (A) - D
Leicester (H) - D
Man United (A) - L
Brentford (H) - L
Tottenham (H) - L
West Ham (A) - D
Man City (H) - L
Palace (H) - D
Arsenal (A) - L
Bournemouth (H) - W
Newcastle (A) - L
Forest (A) - D
Fulham (H) - W
Brighton (A) - D
Liverpool (H) - L

Sees us with 12 points bringing our end of season total to 27.

I think in our next 5 we'd have to beat Leeds and Leicester + get a point against Brentford to have any real chance.

On this day one year ago we drew 1-1 at Man.United in the middle of a 7-match unbeaten run:

22 January     Southampton    1–1    Manchester City 
5 February      Southampton 2-1 Coventry FAC
9 February     Tottenham Hotspur    2–3    Southampton    
12 February    Manchester United    1–1    Southampton   
19 February    Southampton    2–0    Everton    
25 February     Southampton    2–0    Norwich City
2 March         Southampton 3-1 West Ham  FAC

"impressive Southampton"

44 Forster
2 Walker-Peters
35 Bednarek Sub Stephens 45'minutes
22 Salisu
15 Perraud
17 S Armstrong
8 Ward-Prowse
6 Romeu Sub Diallo 90+5'minutes
24 Elyounoussi Sub Livramento 71'minutes
18 Broja
10 Adams

Man Utd 1-1 Southampton: Jadon Sancho and Che Adams score - BBC Sport

• Like 4

If we can get a manager playing to our strengths I can see 15/16 points max. So 30/31 points. Bye Prem. We really are going to have to beat some big boys\in-form teams to stand a chance. Too little too late IMO. Just looking at those last 2 games of the season we would need to be on or around 35 points by then. Brighton and Liverpool most probably nil point.

Breaking the matches up into groups;

Firstly the games against the 'top seven', 

Chelsea - A, Man Utd - A, Spurs - H, Man C -H, Arsenal -A, Newcastle - A, L'pool - H,   I think we need an average of a point a game, let's say 2 wins and a draw

Then the other away games

Leeds , West Ham , Forest, Brighton.   I think we need 2 wins from these .

Lastly the other home games

Leicester, Brentford, Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham. Frighteningly I think we would need 3 wins and a draw

So that's 7+6+10 =23 points to get to 38 and a fighting chance

Likelihood of that actually happening,  at the moment, minimal to  nil, with an experienced premier league quality manager, pretty slight, but ................

Fixture Pessimistic Realistic Optimistic
Chelsea (A) 0 0 1
Leeds (A) 1 1 3
Leicester (H) 1 3 3
Man United (A) 0 0 0
Brentford (H) 0 1 3
Tottenham (H) 0 0 0
West Ham (A) 0 1 1
Man City (H) 0 0 0
Palace (H) 1 3 3
Arsenal (A) 0 0 0
Bournemouth (H) 3 3 3
Newcastle (A) 0 0 1
Forest (A) 1 3 3
Fulham (H) 3 3 3
Brighton (A) 0 1 1
Liverpool (H) 0 0 1
  10 19 26
  • Like 2

I can see 20 points out of those games if we play the right players in the right positions and the play somewhere to their potential whilst doing so. Id say that is definitely touch and go for survival but i also believe the required total will be low compared to normal.

• Like 1

Sadly I feel that we shall end up one win away from safety especially a game that we have lost against our rivals. The home game with Nottingham Forest comes to mind. The irony is that had we won such a game then Jones might still be here.

Basically we have had to wait until our case is hopeless before we got rid of him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Sadly I feel that we shall end up one win away from safety especially a game that we have lost against our rivals. The home game with Nottingham Forest comes to mind. The irony is that had we won such a game then Jones might still be here.

Basically we have had to wait until our case is hopeless before we got rid of him.

I think this is what Rasmus meant when they said they would only pull the trigger on NJ when they no longer believed, or however it was put. Seems nonsensical to me, as a change as soon as it was obvious it was going to be a disaster (Forest) would've seen us fair a far better chance. How the trigger wasn't pulled after Brentford is beyond me. Totally wasted the Wolves fixture.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I think this is what Rasmus meant when they said they would only pull the trigger on NJ when they no longer believed, or however it was put. Seems nonsensical to me, as a change as soon as it was obvious it was going to be a disaster (Forest) would've seen us fair a far better chance. How the trigger wasn't pulled after Brentford is beyond me. Totally wasted the Wolves fixture.

I think it was one week too late, we had some good results and performances after Forest. City, Everton, Villa,  

it’s not too late to save the season, our January signings look really promising. Hopefully the new manager will suss out the numpties straight away and we won’t have to suffer them going forward. I’m happy to provide him a list.

20 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

On this day one year ago we drew 1-1 at Man.United in the middle of a 7-match unbeaten run:

"impressive Southampton"

44 Forster
2 Walker-Peters
22 Salisu
15 Perraud
17 S Armstrong
8 Ward-Prowse
18 Broja
10 Adams

Just shows what confidence and good coaching/organisation can do for this team. Ralph had us really firing during that spell, the win away to Spurs was one of the best attacking performances from us in recent years. Would love to see a managerial appointment which gets an immediate response from the team

• Like 3

On 12/02/2023 at 17:49, Nordic Saint said:

"impressive Southampton"

44 Forster
2 Walker-Peters
22 Salisu
15 Perraud
17 S Armstrong
8 Ward-Prowse
18 Broja
10 Adams

That was a good game and the only one I've been to at Old Trafford when we've got something. Left feeling good. Today left the ground feeling even better. Hope has been resumed. Just looking to see what other six games we can win....Leicester, Brentford, Palace, Bournemouth, Forest & Fulham...or is that a bit too obvious?

• Like 2

W5, D5 and L5 from here should be enough to stay up.

Wins v Leeds, Leicester, Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham

Draws v Brentford, West Ham, Forest, Spurs, Liverpool

Losses v Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton

Not going to be easy but far from impossible

Edited by LegalEagle
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2023 at 11:18, SupersonicSaint said:

With 16 games left of the season, what points tally do you think we'll end up on?

Below are our remaining games and what I reckon are probable results:

Chelsea (A) - L
Leeds (A) - D
Leicester (H) - D
Man United (A) - L
Brentford (H) - L
Tottenham (H) - L
West Ham (A) - D
Man City (H) - L
Palace (H) - D
Arsenal (A) - L
Bournemouth (H) - W
Newcastle (A) - L
Forest (A) - D
Fulham (H) - W
Brighton (A) - D
Liverpool (H) - L

Sees us with 12 points bringing our end of season total to 27.

I think in our next 5 we'd have to beat Leeds and Leicester + get a point against Brentford to have any real chance.

and your zillion team accumulator is busted!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Forest away late in the season.

Reminds me of 97 we were bottom in April and went there (I was there!). Micky Evans double took us off the bottom, leapfrogging Forest (who eventually down). 

"We are staying up" being sung walking back. 

Good omen...?

I was there and what an atmosphere that was.

• Like 1

Put this on the Leeds thread, but probably should be here really...

We can't just rely on the below home fixtures now IMO. We probably need roughly 22 points, maybe 20 depending on how many we'll need to stay up.  My gut feeling is it'll be relatively high this season. Lets assume the ones I've highlighted we get 0 points...we need say 6 wins and a 4 draws from remaining 15 games. It's going to be incredibly tough to stay up from here without beating the teams around us.

Home Games

• Leicester
  • Brentford
  • Spurs
  • City - 0
  • Palace
  • Bournemouth
  • Fulham
  • Liverpool - 0

Away Games

• Leeds
  • Man Utd - 0
  • West Ham
  • Arsenal - 0
  • Newcastle - 0
  • Forest
  • Brighton

We need to beat Leeds and Leicester IMO.

16 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We can't just rely on the below home fixtures now IMO. We probably need roughly 22 points, maybe 20 depending on how many we'll need to stay up.  My gut feeling is it'll be relatively high this season. Lets assume the ones I've highlighted we get 0 points...we need say 6 wins and a 4 draws from remaining 15 games. It's going to be incredibly tough to stay up from here without beating the teams around us.

Home Games

• Leicester
  • Brentford
  • Spurs
  • City - 0
  • Palace
  • Bournemouth
  • Fulham
  • Liverpool - 0

Away Games

• Leeds
  • Man Utd - 0
  • West Ham
  • Arsenal - 0
  • Newcastle - 0
  • Forest
  • Brighton

Very hard to predict those other games. We have struggled to beat teams, so none are going to be easy, home or away. Our form and performances have been terrible, but if it improves (let's say we beat Leeds, confidence will start to come back) then games like Leicester will appear winnable, rather than daunting (as mist have recently). 

One game at a time. Leeds is huge. Win it, we join the pack and we get on a run. Lose and we are back to square one - relegation bound.

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Home Games

• Leicester
  • Brentford
  • Spurs
  • City - 0
  • Palace
  • Bournemouth
  • Fulham
  • Liverpool - 0

Away Games

• Leeds
  • Man Utd - 0
  • West Ham
  • Arsenal - 0
  • Newcastle - 0
  • Forest
  • Brighton

With our new additions of Tall Paul and Sulemana and a fit Lavia bossing midfield, we are a solid mid table team. The hope has been restored. Barring possibly Brighton, we can beat any of those teams not zeroed. Tall Paul's hold up and laying off play is promising and we have better attacking options now. 

Few fixture changes. Bournemouth at home moved to a Tuesday night which is going to be a pain.

An additional note about the Arsenal game as well -

Friday 21 April
20:00 Arsenal v Southampton (Sky Sports)*
*This will move to 23 April, 19:00, live on Sky Sports if Arsenal are involved in UEFA Europa League the Thursday before. This is also subject to Southampton's participation in FA Cup semi-finals

Edited by Saint Matty 76

Looking at the three teams we can finish above, Palace are the team to come back in to it. Their fixtures over the next ten games are Split in two halves. Next 5 are very tough and it’s quite possible they could come out without any points. On the back of that they have 5 games against relegation rivals, with low confidence and the press speculating about the future of Viera the timing of their slump could really suck them in.

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

And city game might get moved back to Sat 8th…

Do we know if that is the only date it could be moved to? So either it'll be the Sunday as now scheduled, or back to the Saturday? My son's football team have a coach load due to go to it. 

I'm assuming MC will progress but maybe then it depends on whether they are given the Tuesday CL fixture date not the Wednesday.

What a mess these latest changes are. 

44 minutes ago, saintstowin said:

Do we know if that is the only date it could be moved to? So either it'll be the Sunday as now scheduled, or back to the Saturday? My son's football team have a coach load due to go to it. 

I'm assuming MC will progress but maybe then it depends on whether they are given the Tuesday CL fixture date not the Wednesday.

What a mess these latest changes are. 

I think it gets moved back to the Saturday, due to them playing on the following Tuesday. Not 100% sure though.

It's an absolute shambles really. 4 games have been moved, and 3 of them might get moved again.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 18:51, OttawaSaint said:

Epic wasn't it. I travelled down from Newcastle where I was attending Uni.

Never forget a 50 50 between Stuart Pearce and Uli Van Gobbel. Ground was shaking!

Great opener by Jim Magilton too.

Great away day that one , what a legend Evans was, good Saints end 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think it gets moved back to the Saturday, due to them playing on the following Tuesday. Not 100% sure though.

It's an absolute shambles really. 4 games have been moved, and 3 of them might get moved again.

Couldn't believe it when I read the announcement, all over the place, Arsenal could be Friday night, but more likely SUNDAY NIGHT (good chance Arsenal progress in Europa) or even not at all if we're at Wembley in the semi final. 

If Arsenal does move to the Sunday then Bournemouth home on a Thursday night could be a big one , think I'd prefer that to the Tuesday. 

Man City really frustrating, will get short notice on whether Saturday or Sunday, depends on them going through in Europe but then also the draw / fixture schedule to see which day they play in the next round why not just put it on the Saturday now and remove all doubt 

West Ham moving to a Sunday might be better for the travelling fans with a train strike planned for the Saturday currently 

22 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Yep. I was there. Brilliant win.

I was there that day, great win. We were dead and buried before that game, the win sparked a brilliant recovery (I’m sure we pretty much won every game after that, losing to Villa on last day of season, could be wrong though my memory is crap these days 😂)

• 3 weeks later...

Chelsea (A) - L (no - W)
Leeds (A) - D (no - L)
Leicester (H) - D (no - W)
Man United (A) - L (no - D)
Brentford (H) - L 

Thankfully you went for Saints to lose on Weds. Long may your very shitty predictions continue!

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2023 at 22:12, OttawaSaint said:

Always rated Maik Taylor and felt he was hard done by to be relegated to #2 the season after. He was the better keeper.

Maik Taylor displaced by Dave Jones’ Stockport man, Paul Jones. Taylor should have been our no. 1 for a number of seasons - solid, strong keeper. Underatted. 

• Like 4

7 points from 4 matches ain't bad. Keep that ratio up for the last 12 games and we'll be laughing. Brentford, Spurs, West Ham, City in the next 4. 7 is doable but we'd need to learn how to attack. Much better from the defence though. 

• Like 1