Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can anyone in any doubt that this has been a shocking window at this point? We all expected outgoings but the level of the exodus is breathtaking and it’s seemingly still on-going. Add to this Stephens long term injury and once again we start the season with a squad that’s got a lack of depth of quality. There’s no way that’s not going to affect our standing in the league in an adverse manner.

Unless there’s some stunning business done by Wilcox this week, it’s hard not to think SR have sold us down the river in the talk about a promotion push.

A shocking window with Charles, Downs, plus Fraser and Holgate,

3 Prem players in yet shocking?

I will wait until window ends and see the striking options before agreeing:-)

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

As others have said, if Leeds get Spence then Drameh would surely be allowed to move and aupposedly we are keen.

Was Cardiff POTS a year or so ago and has been highly rated for a while but it hasnt worked out at Leeds for him.

If he did come in then clearly either KWP or Bree would go. If we could keep KWP that would be great especially as he can cover both sides.

Bree clearly will want to play and he doesn't fit here. Could see him going on loan within the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Keep Che, KWP and Sulamana and I think its been a pretty decent window tbh. 

Most concerned about losing Che and KWP as I've not been impressed by any of the links we've seen in those positions

I genuinely think losing KWP isn’t a huge deal, RBs are replaceable especially at this level and I don’t actually think he’s been great yet

Che is the one that’s concerning, strikers in the current market are a premium.. and I doubt even if we tried we’d be able to replace him effectively 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I genuinely think losing KWP isn’t a huge deal, RBs are replaceable especially at this level and I don’t actually think he’s been great yet

Che is the one that’s concerning, strikers in the current market are a premium.. and I doubt even if we tried we’d be able to replace him effectively 

Not with Bree though!!

10 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can anyone in any doubt that this has been a shocking window at this point? We all expected outgoings but the level of the exodus is breathtaking and it’s seemingly still on-going. Add to this Stephens long term injury and once again we start the season with a squad that’s got a lack of depth of quality. There’s no way that’s not going to affect our standing in the league in an adverse manner.

Unless there’s some stunning business done by Wilcox this week, it’s hard not to think SR have sold us down the river in the talk about a promotion push.

Bloody hell how do you cope with day to day life ?It’s almost like you want to believe that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

exactly, so back to the original post, I look forward to this balance when we lose Sully or ABK 🤙

I don't think you quite understand. Losing Sulemana is a blow because we have already sold Tella. If Leicester had sold Pereira and were now selling Castagne, I'd expect there to be more of a negative reaction. They haven't done that though have they so it's not the same comparison. ABK is a different case as I sadi and will likely be met with a collective shrug of the shoulders like many of the other sales. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I couldn't disagree more. Look at Manning who was a stand out player at left back last season, yet we get ripped apart week after week down our left side and we've not even played the better sides yet (other than maybe Norwich, where we conceded 4). 

Likewise with Bree, another who was a stand out at RB, but is absolutely rubbish. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

It'll likely be the same as when Salisu, JWP, Lavia, Tino, Perruad <insert any obvious person to leave>. 

Tella and Adams now leaving is not the same as the above. 

Tella was always going, and until a few weeks ago, most people would have driven Adams as far away from here as possible.

Whether another wide player actually arrives I'm not convinced, but we've essentially replaced Tella (a proven championship player) with Fraser (a proven championship and PL player).

Sure, Adams has hit the ground running this season, and I agree that he needs adequately replacing. If he isn't, then we've got a problem, but the window is wide open, and I cannot imagine that we'll be left with a gaping hole at CF if Adams actually leaves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

I couldn't disagree more. Look at Manning who was a stand out player at left back last season, yet we get ripped apart week after week down our left side and we've not even played the better sides yet (other than maybe Norwich, where we conceded 4). 

Likewise with Bree, another who was a stand out at RB, but is absolutely rubbish. 

We are not getting ripped apart down our left side because of Manning. The issue is Edozie's lack of cover. What Manning does bring is ability on the ball, and creativity. On balance, he's improved us massively imo.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

Only snippet I've had is that we're very interested in 'a greek forward who plays in the dutch league', which I've deduced to be Tasos Douvikas as Pavlidis who plays for AZ would be well out of our reach. Douvikas scored 19 last season and can play off the wing or through the middle. No idea if we've bid but sounds like one to keep an eye on. 

ignore all my points already been made

Edited by Convict Colony

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

fucksake all my cool insightful points have already been made again.

Next time i will read the thread bottom up

Edited by Convict Colony

25 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think you quite understand. Losing Sulemana is a blow because we have already sold Tella. If Leicester had sold Pereira and were now selling Castagne, I'd expect there to be more of a negative reaction. They haven't done that though have they so it's not the same comparison. ABK is a different case as I sadi and will likely be met with a collective shrug of the shoulders like many of the other sales. 

Im only answering off your own metrics, losing Castagne (their first choice RB and Belgian international) isn’t a blow to our rivals because he hasn’t featured this year

So in essence it’s exactly the same as if we lost Sully or ABK.. unless of course you want to move the goalposts because it doesn’t tie into the despondency narrative?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Appy said:

Good signing for them. 

Right-back only a worry if KWP leaves. 

My concern is he’s on team’s lists, but not first choice so could end up being last minute 

Not seen that many links for KWP - arsenal a couple of weeks back and Fulham last week. Has surprised me TBH

Just now, PapaWaiToGO said:

I wouldn't get too caught up on Spence. He's got an attitude problem, which is probably what has held him back at Spurs. Not the sort of profile we would go for imo 

Tbf I wouldn’t be against Spence, but we currently have a first choice RB so its pretty redundant 

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Tbf I wouldn’t be against Spence, but we currently have a first choice RB so its pretty redundant 

The optimum word being 'currently'. I'm saying if the club know of any potential transfer of KWP they should be looking at Spence to replace him. 

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yep, it's a fact no goals were scored against Swansea from attacks down their left hand side.  FACT.

2 minutes ago, PapaWaiToGO said:

No but there's there's a reason he was on loan there in the first place

So he went on loan from Boro to Forest because he has an attitude problem which didn't stop him performing superbly at Forest? He'll be great for Leeds and we should have been in for him if there is any indication that KWP goes in the next few days.  There are few better right backs available at the moment.

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

So he went on loan from Boro to Forest because he has an attitude problem which didn't stop him performing superbly at Forest? He'll be great for Leeds and we should have been in for him if there is any indication that KWP goes in the next few days.  There are few better right backs available at the moment.

You are basing your assumption that KWP is off, Yet he is still here.

Last I heard he was happy to stay.

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

That Forest season was the one standout season in his whole career. Either side of that has been nothing to write home about. I guess not too dissimilar to Holgate getting Everton’s player of the season one time, albeit that was at a higher level. 

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I'd be incredibly happy if he does. If you'd asked me at the start of the summer, he was one player I thought would be most likely to leave. He could easily get in the squad of a top club you would think and he'd be relatively affordable. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I didn't say KWP was off or that I assume he is. Merely pointed out Spence as a possible option if he does leave. If you have a good source that KWP is happy to stay then that's great news. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I don't think the exodus is breath-taking at all. All those who have left (that were any good) were expected (Tella, JWP, Tino,Lavia), at the moment we still have (Adams) who most wanted gone after last season and KWP who I thought was certain to go, also ABK is still here. I did think for a brief while that JWP was going to stay but its clear now that he wanted out from the start. Is anyone really shocked that we have lost Lyanco, DCC, Moi, Walcott, Perraud, Willy etc?  Only surprise to me is that more have not gone, McCarthy for instance. We are lacking at CB and striker. We were crap last season, there were very few that warranted being kept for this season, and given they were crap in the PL they are not really what we want if we gain promotion this season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Well how else are we going to be in for Spence ?

Read the threads properly rather than putting words in people's mouths. By the way, I see you are seemingly quite comfortable about possibly losing KWP as you don't think he's been that good and is easily replaced by the multitude of good right backs available. I'd wager you are in the minority there but perhaps you're right.

Keeping KWP would be a big surprise this window. Pretty sure we all expected at least one of him and Tino to leave, I would have bet on KWP being the one of the first to go, he’s a great player. 2 years left on his deal is usually the time to cash in on his best value. I hope he continues to go under the radar here, be huge for us this season and if we can go back up, maybe a chance to extend that contract too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Keeping KWP would be a big surprise this window. Pretty sure we all expected at least one of him and Tino to leave, I would have bet on KWP being the one of the first to go, he’s a great player. 2 years left on his deal is usually the time to cash in on his best value. I hope he continues to go under the radar here, be huge for us this season and if we can go back up, maybe a chance to extend that contract too.

I thought he only had a year left! That makes more sense why he’s not being linked anywhere near as much as I expected. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that he will leave, given that almost everyone else has. 

So Ill ask again, do we try to conclude a KWP sale at a cheaper price ? Do we offer him out to clubs that havnt bid yet just so we can steal a march on Leeds Spence deal ?

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Read the threads properly rather than putting words in people's mouths. By the way, I see you are seemingly quite comfortable about possibly losing KWP as you don't think he's been that good and is easily replaced by the multitude of good right backs available. I'd wager you are in the minority there but perhaps you're right.

Im suggesting that Che is more valuable right now to KWP, because this market at all levels has been signified by a lack of decent strikers at an available price

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yep, it's a fact no goals were scored against Swansea from attacks down their left hand side.  FACT.

Not sure what your point is here. I'm just stating what i've seen. 

He's alright on the ball going forward, but defensively offers us little to no cover. He's slow and is always caught out of position, too high up the pitch. It could be the instructions given by the manager, but he looks way below the level of KWP, especially defensively. 

Full back is an important position for us and my point is that its not 'easily replaced'.

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

So Ill ask again, do we try to conclude a KWP sale at a cheaper price ? Do we offer him out to clubs that havnt bid yet just so we can steal a march on Leeds Spence deal ?

Is it impossible for us to bring in a RB and keep KWP? the championship is a long season, many Saturday / Tuesday game weeks, its a big ask to expect a full back, who probably do the most running in the side, to play every game. Bree obviously isn't the answer or up to the task, so we're a touch short at RB.

Had we been a little more proactive, we might have signed our first choice in Max Aarons. 

Funny enough, the same could be said about the obvious Adams replacement... 

Edited by Dman

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im suggesting that Che is more valuable right now to KWP, because this market at all levels has been signified by a lack of decent strikers at an available price

Sorry, didn't realise we were talking about Che.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fair play to Leeds, looked like everything was going wrong down there but I now think they have the best starting 11 in the league (unless we don't sell anyone else, then it'd be pretty close).

The only position I think we could be stronger is CM. 

As things stand, their front 3 is miles stronger than ours and probably Leicester. If they keep that side, they'll be in the top 2 without a doubt. 

• Like 1