The Budget

whelk

So Hunt is going to give away my hard taxes to parents who don’t want to look after their one and two year old children. Thought the Tories rewarded work and not just give cash away to others somewhat randomly?

I’m lucky enough to not desperately need the help but I’ll be taking them up on their kind offer to slightly ease the rising cost of living.

My hard earned taxes are used for things I support, thing I detest and occasionally things, like this, that directly benefit me. I’m pleased to live in a country where we’re all in it together and if enough of us disagree with what our money’s being used for, we’ll get rid of those in charge.

Having said that… A level of responsibility should be expected of people bringing a child into the world. I recently saw an interview with a woman complaining she had to have an abortion because she couldn’t afford to bring up the child and pay for care. To me it seemed like a responsible decision but came across as if she believed the government had forced this on her because they weren’t willing to pay for the child’s upbringing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Having said that… A level of responsibility should be expected of people bringing a child into the world. I recently saw an interview with a woman complaining she had to have an abortion because she couldn’t afford to bring up the child and pay for care. To me it seemed like a responsible decision but came across as if she believed the government had forced this on her because they weren’t willing to pay for the child’s upbringing.

As Jeremy Kyle would have told her ; "You should have made sure he put something on the end of it".

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Thought the Tories rewarded work and not just give cash away to others somewhat randomly?

If I'm reading correctly, it's only for working parents. Specifically if both parents work.

As my wife had to give up work due to childcare costs being in excess of her earnings, this doesn't help much now, but could have kept her in work had this been in place three years ago. It could keep more people in work.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

So Hunt is going to give away my hard taxes to parents who don’t want to look after their one and two year old children. Thought the Tories rewarded work and not just give cash away to others somewhat randomly?

The conundrum is where both parents are financially compelled to work, by the rising cost of living, but cannot find adequate child care to allow at least part time work for the otherwise non-working parent. Add to this the difficulty in actually finding somewhere that can take the children because the child care facilities are struggling for staff and to cover their operating costs/

Without Government intervention the economic realities actually also work against Hunt's plan to persuade out of work over 50s back to work, they are tied up looking after their grandchildren.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Brilliant.

Fuel et al taxes are sky high, now more tax in-bound to pay for more life choices of others (people who have kids).

But you will be able to put £1.5M into your pension pot before accruing additional tax.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

That will help the doctors who are having to retire early because their defined benefit pensions would otherwise be deemed to be over the limit.

Not just doctors...the McLeod judgement will push loads of employees over the limit. When implemented, that judgement will have pushed lots of medics into retirement. Loads of NHS employees over 60 will still have minimal incentive to continue working, but the increased cap will doubtless keep some people working. 

• Like 1

Absolutely understand this will be a lifeline for some and being old fashioned but mums being with their children early on is no bad thing. Appreciate not everyone has that luxury and we can all be selfish about what we want from a budget that impacts us personally. 
Sort the income tax thresholds out would be my start

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

The good news is that Mums or Dads will still be able to spend longer with their kids as these childcare measures don't happen for fucking ages.

It's just a headline to grab votes, hoping that many people don't spot the detail.

The big winners today are multi-millionaires' pension schemes, haulage companies and alcoholics.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Brilliant.

Fuel et al taxes are sky high, now more tax in-bound to pay for more life choices of others (people who have kids).

Money spent on childcare will be directly recycled into the economy one way or another, and it will very clearly help people to get back into work - boosting the economy and productivity. Also, as a general rule, being a new parent is one of the toughest periods in life financially, and easing that process therefore clearly brings social benefits due to imrovoed quality of life for families and children. 

What's actually going to annoy more people is that this will come into effect in late 2024 and 2025 and won't help current parents who have been battling spiralling inflation and the cost of living crisis. 

Of all the things to criticise a government for, supporting new families and parents work, is not a topic I'd go after 🤔

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

If people don't have children, who is going to dole out your pills and wipe your arse when you are sitting in your care home blankly watching erternal reruns of Catch Phrase and Tipping Point ?

I blame the tories for the lack of people around to wipe the arse of people in care homes 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Money spent on childcare will be directly recycled into the economy one way or another, and it will very clearly help people to get back into work - boosting the economy and productivity. Also, as a general rule, being a new parent is one of the toughest periods in life financially, and easing that process therefore clearly brings social benefits due to imrovoed quality of life for families and children. 

What's actually going to annoy more people is that this will come into effect in late 2024 and 2025 and won't help current parents who have been battling spiralling inflation and the cost of living crisis. 

Of all the things to criticise a government for, supporting new families and parents work, is not a topic I'd go after 🤔

Assuming they win the next election, Labour will have to find the money for it though. People need help now. This would have had a real effect for a number of people now, unlike the pension plan (which is another Tory sop to the well off anyway). The only upside is that it is hopefully another nail in their coffin - along with Sunak upgrading his local national grid in order to get his swimming pool heated. Another Tory completely out of touch with reality and demonstrating to all where there priorities lie. With themselves.

And yes Batman, I am whining about the Government again (but this time you started it).

Who’d have thought it, more money in tax brakes for the well off but nothing for public services. Even when faced with obliteration at the polls, the Tories first thought is to look after their own and screw the rest of us. Despite everything there are still some people who will whine about the whiners and accuse people who are seriously struggling financially of it being their own fault. Tell that to the dozens of small businesses going under everyday thanks to the economic mess this country is in after 13 years of Tory (mis)rule.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Assuming they win the next election, Labour will have to find the money for it though. People need help now. This would have had a real effect for a number of people now, unlike the pension plan (which is another Tory sop to the well off anyway). The only upside is that it is hopefully another nail in their coffin - along with Sunak upgrading his local national grid in order to get his swimming pool heated. Another Tory completely out of touch with reality and demonstrating to all where there priorities lie. With themselves.

And yes Batman, I am whining about the Government again (but this time you started it).

Who’d have thought it, more money in tax brakes for the well off but nothing for public services. Even when faced with obliteration at the polls, the Tories first thought is to look after their own and screw the rest of us. Despite everything there are still some people who will whine about the whiners and accuse people who are seriously struggling financially of it being their own fault. Tell that to the dozens of small businesses going under everyday thanks to the economic mess this country is in after 13 years of Tory (mis)rule.

The rest of us? The other day you were concerned for normal, everyday people, not us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Jeremy Hunt's opening gambit on R4; "We had to deal with 'no money'in 2010". That was 13 fucking years ago and you still use the same excuse ?

Useless dishonest shower. The current debt is entirely due to the Tories and covid. They own this debt.

Labour repaid debt during most of 1997-2010. Until the worst global financial crisis starting 2007 Labour had lower debt than they inherited from te Tories in 1997. They left office in 2010 with a budget deficit of 8.8% and debt to GDP of 77%. Cameron and May did slowly bring the budget deficit down to 1.5% of GDP (£32 billion) by 2018 but never reduced total national debt. Johnson drove the deficit back up to 11.7% in 2020 and its still around 7% and £177 billion. Total national debt over 100%  

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

The government literally gave the general public billions and billions of £

And you say they did/do nothing !

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The government literally gave the general public billions and billions of £

And you say they did/do nothing !

I did not say that they did/do nothing and you seem to ignore the fact that they have given billions to their mates (just as you always ignore everything else that does not fit in with your far right agenda). Bless you though for still trying to defend the indefensible. When the next GE comes around they will be heartened to know that they can still count on your vote and that Braverman and her nasty chums can continue to rely on you to support them on social media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

I did not say that they did/do nothing and you seem to ignore the fact that they have given billions to their mates (just as you always ignore everything else that does not fit in with your far right agenda). Bless you though for still trying to defend the indefensible. When the next GE comes around they will be heartened to know that they can still count on your vote and that Braverman and her nasty chums can continue to rely on you to support them on social media.

You are the sort of person who if they won £4m on the lottery would complain it wasn't £5m.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Everyone does this, with your moaning about politicians or their parties giving money to mates you may as well not vote. I take it you’ll be voting labour next election. you’ve got to be blind and stupid to think Starmer and co won’t do the exact same. Fair enough if you’re voting for an alternative. 

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

Everyone does this, with your moaning about politicians or their parties giving money to mates you may as well not vote. I take it you’ll be voting labour next election. you’ve got to be blind and stupid to think Starmer and co won’t do the exact same. Fair enough if you’re voting for an alternative. 

You are not very smart at spotting corruption then? Johnson took it to a new level

• Like 2

17 hours ago, whelk said:

He might buy the Saintsweb sub for unlimited posts with all that cash

Nope. Why pay a fiver to get stalked by trolls? This place, unfortunately, is spoiled by a few freaks and playground bullies. Perhaps if they were sorted out it would be worth it but even when one of them is banned they return under a different name (eh Delldays/Batman?).

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Don’t often get drawn into political chat as generally I’m of the opinion that politician's have no real answers to most of the things that really matter to the country. Plus it really pains me to hear anyone spouting off about the Govt not spending enough on this and that, but then in the same breath complaining about taxes being too high.

Sustainable energy supply is of critical importance to our future yet neither party is committing seriously to how new power infrastructure (nuclear and adequate to serve the Nation for the next 50+ years) will be achieved within the next 10 years. And it has to be state owned or at least owned by a UK resident company. We should not be ‘held hostage’ by another country ever again, but there’s no cross-party strategy (which needs to be embedded in law to ensure longevity).

Our utilities (e.g. water supply and sewage) are crumbling due to under investment. Water supply is a basic human commodity that should be owned by the State once again to serve the Nation. But there’s no backbone to address it or the money, so nothing will happen even under Labour.

The NHS is a fantastic concept and deserved of success, however it’s been terribly mis-managed over decades and in its current over-stretched form is unsustainable as a free to all service.  It is broken…anyone who’s tried to see a GP lately will testify to this. There are some unpalatable decisions that need to be made to cut the cloth, including the exclusion of certain non-life threatening conditions from free treatment, but neither party will bite the bullet…not even the Tories, who have deliberately steered the service to its state of failure. Even Labour don’t have any cohesive sustainable answers either…just sticking plasters at best.

The whole concept of attracting retirees back to work is laughable. Successive Governments have previously encouraged people to scrimp and save for retirement to increase their chances of a more prosperous, longer life. Working times meanwhile have increased and pressure from employers to do more and more have taken their toll, so more and more people are realising that having a life outside of work with less money, is better than going to work to enjoy a small percentage of the week (when you’re knackered from work anyway) and then dying before enjoying retirement. And of course this was very much encouraged by loosening the pension controls giving more choices from age 55. A good number of my friends have realised that they’re better off in all respects being retired and would not contemplate returning to work to earn more money which they’ll have less time to spend and will get taxed to the hilt anyway.

Rant over!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Don’t often get drawn into political chat as generally I’m of the opinion that politician's have no real answers to most of the things that really matter to the country. Plus it really pains me to hear anyone spouting off about the Govt not spending enough on this and that, but then in the same breath complaining about taxes being too high.

Sustainable energy supply is of critical importance to our future yet neither party is committing seriously to how new power infrastructure (nuclear and adequate to serve the Nation for the next 50+ years) will be achieved within the next 10 years. And it has to be state owned or at least owned by a UK resident company. We should not be ‘held hostage’ by another country ever again, but there’s no cross-party strategy (which needs to be embedded in law to ensure longevity).

Our utilities (e.g. water supply and sewage) are crumbling due to under investment. Water supply is a basic human commodity that should be owned by the State once again to serve the Nation. But there’s no backbone to address it or the money, so nothing will happen even under Labour.

The NHS is a fantastic concept and deserved of success, however it’s been terribly mis-managed over decades and in its current over-stretched form is unsustainable as a free to all service.  It is broken…anyone who’s tried to see a GP lately will testify to this. There are some unpalatable decisions that need to be made to cut the cloth, including the exclusion of certain non-life threatening conditions from free treatment, but neither party will bite the bullet…not even the Tories, who have deliberately steered the service to its state of failure. Even Labour don’t have any cohesive sustainable answers either…just sticking plasters at best.

The whole concept of attracting retirees back to work is laughable. Successive Governments have previously encouraged people to scrimp and save for retirement to increase their chances of a more prosperous, longer life. Working times meanwhile have increased and pressure from employers to do more and more have taken their toll, so more and more people are realising that having a life outside of work with less money, is better than going to work to enjoy a small percentage of the week (when you’re knackered from work anyway) and then dying before enjoying retirement. And of course this was very much encouraged by loosening the pension controls giving more choices from age 55. A good number of my friends have realised that they’re better off in all respects being retired and would not contemplate returning to work to earn more money which they’ll have less time to spend and will get taxed to the hilt anyway.

Rant over!

You should post about it more, nice to hear a balanced view rather than the default, what’s the issue? Blame the government a lot on here have for absolutely everything 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 18:14, whelk said:

You are not very smart at spotting corruption then?

I am, it’s very easy in politics as it’s everywhere. Hence why I said to @sadoldgit his vote against the conservatives if narrowed just down to corruption (unrealistic I know) would be in vain if he then voted for Labour.

The only chance of getting rid of curruption is getting rid of both main parties and change the system. Are the Conservatives conservative? No. Are Labour socialist? i’d argue not really under Starmer. They both have no identity and they both bring corruption run by idiots. why vote for them, it’s just another wasted argument and vote based on hating the other and these arguments seldom have much argument other than “they’re tories so must be wrong” etc. 

Edited by SotonianWill

Part of the PR campaign for any party riddled with corruption is to promote the lazy idea that all politicians are the same.

The facts suggest that at this moment the government is World Cup-winning on corruption while Labour are League One.

• Like 4

On 16/03/2023 at 18:46, Whitey Grandad said:

Can’t afford to eat out. Our business was killed by the lockdowns because we were prevented and forbidden from earning a living.

Im sorry to hear this Whitey, my business is retail based (used to be 99% trade) but we were lucky to trade online. Missed the browsers and impulse buyers. Since it has opened up the footfall is off the cliff as people have become used to just looking online. Sadly, in my field where you are competing against photos of products where the difference in product is not easily shown we lose out to the people who sell far less quality items but just a tad cheaper in price. I have no idea how to counter that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I am, it’s very easy in politics as it’s everywhere. Hence why I said to @sadoldgit his vote against the conservatives if narrowed just down to corruption (unrealistic I know) would be in vain if he then voted for Labour.

The only chance of getting rid of curruption is getting rid of both main parties and change the system. Are the Conservatives conservative? No. Are Labour socialist? i’d argue not really under Starmer. They both have no identity and they both bring corruption run by idiots. why vote for them, it’s just another wasted argument and vote based on hating the other and these arguments seldom have much argument other than “they’re tories so must be wrong” etc. 

But it isn’t just about the (high level of) corruption is it. The list is endless and tops anything I have experienced in this country in my lifetime. Incompetence. Dishonesty. Self serving. Inhumane. Zero self awareness. Shameless. There are just no redeeming features whatsoever. Whatever you think of Starmer, he cares and he wants to do the right thing for ordinary people, not just a select few. I have met both Johnson and Starmer and can tell you that they are worlds apart as people. You seem to be very young so you probably don’t get the difference between older generation Tories and this current bunch. Apart from Thatcher, you would be hard pressed to find many cabinet ministers more odious from those we have seen given jobs in the last few years. There have always been some back bench loonies popping up making complete idiots of themselves. The difference is that these types are now on the front benches too.

The argument that Starmer and a Labour government will be no different to what we currently have is, with respect, completely facile. I am not saying they will be perfect, no government ever is. I am not saying that they won’t make mistakes or piss people off. You can’t govern without upsetting parts of the electorate. What you will get is a raising of the bar. Johnson managed to lower it to Trumpian levels of embarrassment and Sunak has done little to get rid of the rot at the heart of his party. Biden may not be a dynamic figure, but he is slowly repairing the damage that Trump did to America both at home and abroad. Starmer will have the same job here and I am willing to bet that you will see a real difference in what we have been served up with over the last few years.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

But it isn’t just about the (high level of) corruption is it. The list is endless and tops anything I have experienced in this country in my lifetime. Incompetence. Dishonesty. Self serving. Inhumane. Zero self awareness. Shameless. There are just no redeeming features whatsoever. Whatever you think of Starmer, he cares and he wants to do the right thing for ordinary people, not just a select few. I have met both Johnson and Starmer and can tell you that they are worlds apart as people. You seem to be very young so you probably don’t get the difference between older generation Tories and this current bunch. Apart from Thatcher, you would be hard pressed to find many cabinet ministers more odious from those we have seen given jobs in the last few years. There have always been some back bench loonies popping up making complete idiots of themselves. The difference is that these types are now on the front benches too.

The argument that Starmer and a Labour government will be no different to what we currently have is, with respect, completely facile. I am not saying they will be perfect, no government ever is. I am not saying that they won’t make mistakes or piss people off. You can’t govern without upsetting parts of the electorate. What you will get is a raising of the bar. Johnson managed to lower it to Trumpian levels of embarrassment and Sunak has done little to get rid of the rot at the heart of his party. Biden may not be a dynamic figure, but he is slowly repairing the damage that Trump did to America both at home and abroad. Starmer will have the same job here and I am willing to bet that you will see a real difference in what we have been served up with over the last few years.

This is the first period of government where social media is a massive part of persuading people to think all is good/all is bad. I dislike BJ as he was instrumental in Brexit.

I think Starmer is a decent man but he has some skeltons/decisions he made in his time. The latest that has come to light (not factchecked it) but we may well hear more of was him thwarting a bill stopping/reducing benefits of illegals/asylum seekers. If it had happened all those years ago perhaps UK would not be quite so attractive and the toxic postion it is causing.

Imagine Mandelson and his crew what could have been put online about his and his friends actions at their time. I have become myself very cynical and realise we are no better than a banana republic at times.

Politics is/has always been full of self interested people and they don't give a flying f about us. 

Edited by OldNick

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

You should post about it more, nice to hear a balanced view rather than the default, what’s the issue? Blame the government a lot on here have for absolutely everything 

Whilst others are asleep and say hey my mortgage payments have gone through the roof. Hohum unavoidable and they are all the same. What’s Ant and Dec doing?

Not criticising the govt would be like not criticising Nathan Jones.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I find the smartest and best people in life are those that only speak when they bring value. the problem for politicians nowadays is they are given a platform for continuous waffle. one of the reasons politicians years ago in both parties may have seemed more competent is not only because they simply were, but because they didn’t spout shit all the time to millions of people every second of every day on twitter. 

I have respect for a lot of former Tory and Labour politicians from the past, not exactly for all their views but for how they came across, sadly this can’t be said nowadays, I barely respect anyone in any party. Boris Johnson being a liar who won’t let the PM get on is one of the main ones, as is Angela Rayner getting paid 80,000 to call people scum instead of actually debating (leaves you wondering how do these people get selected) 

On Starmer, even the left of the labour party, of which I have many friends who are corbyn fans being young and all, they hate him. he’s a liar and can’t be trusted - that’s from labour members not even myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Whilst others are asleep and say hey my mortgage payments have gone through the roof. Hohum unavoidable and they are all the same. What’s Ant and Dec doing?

Not criticising the govt would be like not criticising Nathan Jones.

Oh dont get me wrong, there is a lot to moan about, they are useless, self serving cunts. However not everything in life is the fault of the tories, yet some seem to blame them for everything. And guess what, the reason they are still in power is because the alternative hasn't been credible for years. In fact i'd go as far as to say the only reason they'll get in next time is because the Tories are so, so, so bad that labour have an open goal from one inch out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

I find the smartest and best people in life are those that only speak when they bring value. the problem for politicians nowadays is they are given a platform for continuous waffle. one of the reasons politicians years ago in both parties may have seemed more competent is not only because they simply were, but because they didn’t spout shit all the time to millions of people every second of every day on twitter. 

I have respect for a lot of former Tory and Labour politicians from the past, not exactly for all their views but for how they came across, sadly this can’t be said nowadays, I barely respect anyone in any party. Boris Johnson being a liar who won’t let the PM get on is one of the main ones, as is Angela Rayner getting paid 80,000 to call people scum instead of actually debating (leaves you wondering how do these people get selected) 

On Starmer, even the left of the labour party, of which I have many friends who are corbyn fans being young and all, they hate him. he’s a liar and can’t be trusted - that’s from labour members not even myself. 

Good post. winners in life find solutions, losers look for excuses. We know who is who on here.

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Kinnock got the same as Starmer is from the Corbynites post-Foot, watch the Conference footage if available from the mid-80s and the bile from the old left when introducing reforms, although the nuclear disarmament policy continued hurt them. Was it 1985 when Derek Hatton stormed out? Ditto what Sunak is getting from both Boris loyalists because his half-baked NI deal has been finished off some more and Truss’s crazy little group of IEA fanatics notably from Simon Clarke and John Redwood. Always happens when mainstream politicians have to clear up the vomit from when the crazies get control of the steering wheel. 

• Like 3