Arsenal 3-3 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You can question this lots commitment all season, and I have frequently, but not tonight. 

Indeed, and thank you for highlighting exactly why we're getting relegated... The odd great performance against a top side and woeful performances most of the time against the rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yeah, he should of just let the initial shot in.

He made a really good save. 

It would be a good save if it actually stayed out, but his touch put it straight back into the danger area so his initial save is null and void and pretty pointless.

• Like 5

Let’s face it it’s the palace game that was the disaster. A win last week and a point today would have been great. This team can’t string two good things together and hasn’t been able to for ages. 

there have been so many chances to turnaround this shit season and none of them have been taken 

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

88 mins is a bit misleading when there were 10 mins played after. 2 goals let in in 12 mins has happened to a lot better sides than us. It’s bizarre to read the manager getting stick, when tactically he got it right and the players getting clog when they actually showed some fight. WTF are some of our supporters on? 

We let in two goals in just two minutes.

The only surprise is that they didn’t nick a fourth with the remaining eight minutes or so.

This result is a catastrophe in the context that we’re in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It would be a good save if it actually stayed out, but his touch put it straight back into the danger area so his initial save is null and void and pretty pointless.

Annoyingly if Bella Kotchap doesn't slip he clears it and no one mentions Bazunu palming it back out.

Still, it's a keeper error.

Edited by Harry_SFC

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Little point in making the save if you are just going to palm the ball straight back into the danger zone. He's done it plenty of other times this season.

He made the save, he was never going to hold it, where else is it going to go? It was a great save. The problem is not blocking the opposition players.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Once the second went in, it was obvious we’d concede another, you see the life get sucked out of us. 

A team full of fucking bottlers

I have to say I feared the worst, but not because we are bottlers, because they were out on their feet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Sorry Duck, but it sums us up and where we are. 

despite the manager doing his best to fuck us up, we battled well and generally defended really well. 

Once the second went in, it was obvious we’d concede another, you see the life get sucked out of us. 

A team full of fucking bottlers

Yet these same bottlers scored three goals away at the league leaders.

• Like 2

A pretty accurate summary of our season in one match.

- Can put in a performance when there is zero expectation

- as soon as there’s any sort of pressure, they bottle it

- mentally weak throughout the team 

- poor GK

- a glimpse of seeing what some of these younger players could be capable of, if they’d have recruited the proper experience to go with it

- the feeling of “it wouldn’t have taken much to not be in the shit we are”

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yet these same bottlers scored three goals away at the league leaders.

As soon as we come under a bit of pressure we crumble, like we do every single fucking week. 

• Like 1

Blaming Bazunu for the third goal is crazy and I'd suggest watching it back. We were dropping so deep and the initial shot came right through Lyanco and he made a great reaction save.

Could do nothing about the other two goals either

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Annoyingly if Bella Kotchap doesn't slip he clears it and no one mentions Bazunu palming it back out.

Still, it's a keeper error.

It was a great save. Where was the error? Not letting the ball slip through his fingers?

Where do you think he should have pushed the ball to? The Arsenal players were quicker to the ball. They are instinctive saves. There isn’t time to have a look around and decide where to play it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

- Can put in a performance when there is zero expectation

Arsenal ran us ragged from start to finish. The performance wasn't all that. Just fans expectations are much lower when we play the top teams. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

As soon as we come under a bit of pressure we crumble, like we do every single fucking week. 

You can’t have it both ways. They deserve credit for our three goals. We held out for a long while but if you sit back and try to defend you’re going to capitulate eventually. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yeah why not? The ball still ended up in the net. Majority of other Premier League keepers either hold on to that shot or push it further away 

Go watch it again. It was a great reaction save. The fault lies with us dropping so deep in the last 10 minutes. Our midfield was literally on our 18 yard line. Theres inviting pressure and theres that

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You can’t have it both ways. They deserve credit for our three goals. We held out for a long while but if you sit back and try to defend you’re going to capitulate eventually. 

You can have it both ways, after 85 minutes with a 2 goal lead, hou expect to have it both ways. 

Let’s be really blunt. We’re lucky to walk away with a point there at the end. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

crumble under a bit of pressure? It was relentless for the whole game. In truth, Arsenal deserved a point. They could have scored a hatful on another day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

For all those slating Elyounoussi, I thought he had a decent game tonight. Checked on WhoScored and our third best “performance” behind Alcaraz and Walcott, 

Moi is shit end of......no excuses!

For all those slating Elyounoussi, I thought he had a decent game tonight. Checked on WhoScored and our third best “performance” behind Alcaraz and Walcott, 

I don't tend to get involved in the Ely hate on here, but I didn't think he did much other than track runners. 

Just now, harvey said:

Moi is shit end of......no excuses!

Most of our squad is shit, and don’t get me wrong I’m not his biggest fan, but in a game like that, he’s absolutely fine. He played well, and put a proper shift in. It’s when you expect him to break down a lower side at home, he’s a problem. I’ve always said, that in reality you need at least 2 more attacking players on the pitch than him, 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

You can have it both ways, after 85 minutes with a 2 goal lead, hou expect to have it both ways. 

Let’s be really blunt. We’re lucky to walk away with a point there at the end. 

But you’re just missing the lead that we got in the first place.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Most of our squad is shit, and don’t get me wrong I’m not his biggest fan, but in a game like that, he’s absolutely fine. He played well, and put a proper shift in. It’s when you expect him to break down a lower side at home, he’s a problem. I’ve always said, that in reality you need at least 2 more attacking players on the pitch than him, 

Pulling off Alcaraz instead of Moi was fucking criminal. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

No pressure tonight hence the 2-0 and 3-1 leads. As soon as the actual pressure arrived (we could see the finishing line and had something to lose) we couldn't handle it. We never can. Team packed full of Bottlers and an even bigger Bottle Job as Manager.

Makes you wonder how they lasted the last 8 minutes without conceding. Perhaps Arsenal didn’t apply a load of pressure and just accepted the point. 

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But you’re just missing the lead that we got in the first place.

But what does it matter? You cannot blow a 3-1 lead in the 88th minute.

It is not good enough, there is no spin on this. Just as there's no spin on Bazunu which you're constantly dying to create.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

But what does it matter? You cannot blow a 3-1 lead in the 88th minute.

It is not good enough, there is no spin on this. Just as there's no spin on Bazunu which you're constantly dying to create.

Bazunu made great saves. You might not like that but he did. There were another 13 minute of play after that 88th minute. We simply tried to sit back and defend for too long.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

That Lavia substitution.  That Elyounoussi non-substitution.    Pack your bags Selles!

We were crying out for a player on the break to get the ball and not just immediately give it away. Armstrong, Elyounoussi and Walcott most of the second half did it all game.

It is piss poor from Selles not to realise these things which are so blatantly obvious. Why the fuck did Onuachu come on if our entire game plan was a 8-1-1? He is clueless, and for all the good we did in the first half, it is simply undone.

"would've taken it before the game", absolute stupidity. 

Alcaraz was taken off because he’s a hot head and he had been booked. I’d have taken neither off, but you can see why Charly was brought off. 

good point. I forgot he had a yellow. Adding Lyanco did seem to fill some gaps and negate the two Arsenal wingers who were killing us.

I think one of the reasons Bazunu is so frustrating is bc he never really gets close to things. It might be asking a lot for him to save their second. It would have to be a worldy like Ramsdale's against Salah a couple of weeks ago. But he was nowhere near it. 

We did well to repel most of their pressure tonight but mostly it was from blocking the shots coming in. It wasn't from a great goalkeeping performance. It never is. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

good point. I forgot he had a yellow. Adding Lyanco did seem to fill some gaps and negate the two Arsenal wingers who were killing us.

Selles said he brought on a centre back and went 5 at the back to protect the 2 full backs who were also on yellows at HT. it made sense when you take the emotion out of it, but sadly, it’s probably more the fault of the players who got booked in the first half. KWP’s was never a yellow though 

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I disagree. I think Pickford or Pope do better 

Maybe. But did you see Pope let one straight through him the other day? Exactly the kind of goal we have been slating Bazunu for. Other keepers do fuck up too. We only give a fuck about our own.

Not sure this draw was down to him.