Arsenal 3-3 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

Okay next up it’s Arsenal.

At last we have an easier game after taking on the likes of Leeds, West Ham and Palace and not scoring a goal.

Reckon we could get our largest win of the season if we could just have a little luck in front of goal.

If we could keep Jesus, Saka, Marinelli, Partey, Xhaka and Odegaard quiet by tight marking them out the game then I can’t see them getting a shot on target.

This has got 4 nil all over it and Elyounoussi and Walcott with 2 each.

PS - I hope Ruben Selles really goes for it with a lovely attacking and flowing starting line up.

Up the Saints as this season has been one of the best in memory!

• Haha 10

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Well we did beat Everton at Goodision after fuck knows how many years 

Just checked it actually 1987, Danny Wallace scored, doubt any of our players were even born then! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Elyounessi is going to be playing up front right.

Realistically we're going to have long periods without the ball so Moi - who is generally accepted as one of the best players in the world when he doesn't have the ball - is a must for me. Let's play without the ball from the front and stick our key non baller up there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can't be arsed to watch  this one. 

Will probably check out the team to see who has won the weekly shit player tombola to mysteriously get a starting berth.

Hate Friday night football,  which is a nuisance as there is more of it in the Championship. 

Edited by redkeith

this game really isn’t important as league position doesn’t matter it’s all about making sure our brilliant youngsters have got a pathway so hopefully Larios, Edozie and Ballard start.

Who are they women’s team playing? They’re the priory 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

We’ll still lose but I reckon some of those “players” might try in this one. they only play up vs city, spurs as they want a transfer

Man Utd away another good example where we actually looked like a team. 

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Assume Ainsley Maitland-Niles won’t be available. So that’s great news already 

Heard a rumour he offered the outside to a tanker and was still outpaced.

Shocking defending yesterday but then he didn’t think he would have a dolphin between the sticks flapping one away!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Heard a rumour he offered the outside to a tanker and was still outpaced.

Shocking defending yesterday but then he didn’t think he would have a dolphin between the sticks flapping one away!

It was a great assist from Bazunu to be fair. Took all the pace off the ball, right to Ezes feet unmarked in the middle of the goal. He could have asked for any more. 

• Like 1

We will get absolutely spanked.  I said we shouldn't be allowed on the same pitch as City, and the same applies here.... we are worlds apart. If we get out with a 6 nil we will probably still 'take the positives out of the game'....!  Big respect to those that travel. 

Interesting conundrum. Arsenal play City in midweek after they play us. Assuming they're cruising, say 3-0 against us, will they take off key players to rest them for the City match (like City did yesterday against Leicester in advance of the return leg against Bayern)? Or will Arsenal go all out for a cricket score against us because goal difference could be crucial if they subsequently lose to City? Arsenal's GD is currently -7 compared to City's. It could get really ugly if they decide to try to make that up against us 😱!

We haven't had our annual 9-0 beating  yet.

I don't think they will want to take there foot off the gas as it will be a good opportunity to boost there goal difference to City.

Edited by Nieldy
  • Like 1

Well McCarthy and Perraud have to play in this one with KWP back on the right 

Usual midfield I suppose but no idea who should/ will start up front it’s a bit like a one armed bandit approach or Michael Macintyres Spin the wheel

• Like 2

Bazunu KWP Bednarek ABK Perraud, JWP Lavia, Sulemana Onuachu Alcarez (Mara) Djenepo. Pace on the break, leave the two strikers up. JWP and the centrebacks to cut out the tippy tappy and get the ball out to the wingers immediately. Get crosses in and forget meaningless rotation of the ball.

Edited by derry

5 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

Won’t be able to watch due to the time difference. Will be nice to have my weekend spared of misery at least.

Yeah. I'm not staying up for it either. I'll brace myself for waking up to the horror the morning after.

(A bit like my student days.)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Couldn’t give a shit as neither do the players, probably won’t even watch it. Sick of this useless group. 

I'm going to the game and we've sold out 3000 allocation but definitely share your sentiment, crazy thing is if we'd won on Saturday would just be a point from survival now, makes the lack of effort from the players even worse. We've drawn with Arsenal once already this season but no hope for this 

• Like 3

F*** it, let’s go proper old school, 442, in the mixer, big man/little man up front. Width and crosses.  Tell the little man to stay within 7 yards of the big man at all times. 
Only male in the entire staplewood complex who knows where the goal is is Ballard so might as well put all our eggs in that basket. 

No pressure Dom.

Wily

KWP Jan ABK Perraud

JWP Lavia Alcaraz Sulemana

Tall-Paul Dom

Seeing as a JWP free kick is our top scorer by a mile I’ll keep him in, but he needs to vacate central midfield. He’s terrible at the moment.

It’s a horrible team and tactic but hey, what have we got to lose? Apart from the 9-0 record we hold …

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'm going to the game and we've sold out 3000 allocation but definitely share your sentiment, crazy thing is if we'd won on Saturday would just be a point from survival now, makes the lack of effort from the players even worse. We've drawn with Arsenal once already this season but no hope for this 

I dont believe the problem is lack of effort from the players. They've lost confidence (so have i) and they are clearly depressed (who isn't?) but a goal--even one--could begin to change all that. We just don't get a goal to raise the spirit of the crowd or the players. The problem isn't lack of effort it is lack of direction, they all run around like headless chickens but it is wasted effort. And that is down to the management more than the players.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JRM said:

I am amazed that we have sold our allocation for a Friday night game with the team playing shit.

Has the club taken the full allocation for Newcastle and Nottm Forest?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Arsenal 3-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic