A Chorus of Millions.......

badgerx16

Who is going to join their voices to the public pronouncement of their allegiance to King Charles IIi during the coronation ?

( Might come as a surprise to some, but I most certainly will not. A pointless gesture of subservience to an anachronistic institution ).

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Genuine question;  are there as many flags and strings of bunting out for the Coronation compared to Queen Elizabeth's 70th Jubilee ? Having just driven down to the village to vote, there are very few public decorations on display.

Is there more apathy for this weekend ?

Edited by badgerx16

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Genuine question;  are there as many flags and strings of bunting out for the Coronation compared to Quenn Elizabeth's 70th Jubilee ? Having just driven down to the village to vote, there are very few public decorations on display.

Is there more apathy for this weekend ?

Only place I have seen anything is M&S Food Hall. Grateful for Monday off though

On 30/04/2023 at 15:13, AlexLaw76 said:

There will be loads of dopey Royal fans, camping out from the next few days, who will be all over this

The republican guy on GMB this morning   Was funny, his whole reason for protesting seemed to be that a head of state shouldn’t obtain a position due to inheritance. A valid point I guess but every other point he made got shot down, like the one about Lego land getting more visitors than Windsor castle therefore no economic benefit to the royal family.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The republican guy on GMB this morning   Was funny, his whole reason for protesting seemed to be that a head of state shouldn’t obtain a position due to inheritance. A valid point I guess but every other point he made got shot down, like the one about Lego land getting more visitors than Windsor castle therefore no economic benefit to the royal family.

That's my sole reason for objecting to monarchy.  Everything else is a distraction and detracts from the argument. 

If you believe that the head of state shouldn't have that job simply through the hereditary principle then you don't believe in a monarchy.  We can have the debate over what replaces it once we agree that it's a stupid decision to appoint someone based entirely on who their parents were (or in Harry's case who they weren't).  

How much money they bring in/cost, what they're like as individuals is entirely irrelevant to the argument.

29 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

That's my sole reason for objecting to monarchy.  Everything else is a distraction and detracts from the argument. 

If you believe that the head of state shouldn't have that job simply through the hereditary principle then you don't believe in a monarchy.  We can have the debate over what replaces it once we agree that it's a stupid decision to appoint someone based entirely on who their parents were (or in Harry's case who they weren't).  

How much money they bring in/cost, what they're like as individuals is entirely irrelevant to the argument.

What 'job' does the titular Head of State actually do though?  Wave at people nicely, open parliament sessions, meet with the PM for a briefing and sign off laws, but only once they have gone through both houses (and I'm not sure they've ever refused to sign one in modern history).

As a 'head of state' I can't think of a single thing regarding the Royal Family that has any effect on my life, literally everything they do I can completely ignore if I choose to.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

President Boris Johnson - has a nice ring to it.  I am sure that would be fine for so many

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What 'job' does the titular Head of State actually do though?  Wave at people nicely, open parliament sessions, meet with the PM for a briefing and sign off laws, but only once they have gone through both houses (and I'm not sure they've ever refused to sign one in modern history).

As a 'head of state' I can't think of a single thing regarding the Royal Family that has any effect on my life, literally everything they do I can completely ignore if I choose to.

And that's entirely fair.  If it's not important to you then don't worry about it.  Personally it does bother me.

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

And that's entirely fair.  If it's not important to you then don't worry about it.  Personally it does bother me.

Which, by extrapolation, means it is important to you.  Not sure how you can place any importance on something that literally does not affect your life in any way.  But to each their own.

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Which, by extrapolation, means it is important to you.  Not sure how you can place any importance on something that literally does not affect your life in any way.  But to each their own.

Of course it's important to me - I pretty much said that.  You're very good on spotting the blindingly obvious

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

If you're thinking James Hewitt, I used to think the same, until I saw Harry interviewed.  His face-pulling mannerisms are completely Charles'.  Like a clone.  

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

If you believe that the head of state shouldn't have that job simply through the hereditary principle then you don't believe in a monarchy.

Isn't the Archbishop of Canterbury going to announce that Charles has been chosen by God ?

There are plenty of examples through British history where the hereditary link jumps the rails: William 3rd succeeding James 2nd, George 1st following Queen Anne despite being somewhere around #57 in the line of succession, even Victoria following William 4th.

Edited by badgerx16

5 minutes ago, Manuel said:

If you're thinking James Hewitt, I used to think the same, until I saw Harry interviewed.  His face-pulling mannerisms are completely Charles'.  Like a clone.  

Wouldn't mannerisms fall under the nurture side of the nature vs nurture argument?

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Isn't the Archbishop of Canterbury going to announce that Charles has been chosen by God ?

There are plenty of examples through British history where the hereditary link jumps the rails: William 3rd succeeding James 2nd, George 1st following Queen Anne despite being somewhere around #57 in the line of succession, even Victoria following William 4th.

Slightly better choice than David Icke

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I think there's a little stick thing (or some other artifact) that tells the Arch Bish whether the person in the chair is the real successor (like a sorting hat I guess), which is probably God's representative on earth, so it's really just god telling everyone who was chosen.  The Arch Bish is just the mouthpiece.

Probably explains why those others managed to skip the line of succession if the little stick thing gave them the nod...

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think there's a little stick thing (or some other artifact) that tells the Arch Bish whether the person in the chair is the real successor (like a sorting hat I guess), which is probably God's representative on earth, so it's really just god telling everyone who was chosen.  The Arch Bish is just the mouthpiece.

Probably explains why those others managed to skip the line of succession if the little stick thing gave them the nod...

Do they test out the little stick thing on him before hand?! It would be a bit awkward in front of the watching billions if, on the day, the little stick thing told the archbishop that Chuck wasn't the chosen one by a god.

Mind you, there would definitely be a TV show to find the actual chosen one. And once found, they'd have to ascend to the throne in the traditional way, by slaughtering all their opponents.

I don't have a huge issue with the royal family as an institution. If its a choice between a largely politically independent monarchy and President Tony Blaire / Dave Cameron / Boris Johnson / Nick Clegg etc then its an absolute non starter...

But as for treating them as anything other than a token head of state that represents Britain internationally and brings in some tourism.... such as swearing allegiance - No bloody chance. If its not something Charles wants and has come out of some hair brained plan from the Archbishop (as that Dimbleby implies above) then fair enough... but i still think anyone who does it is mad...

Edited by Saint86

40 minutes ago, Golactico said:

I'm not the first to point this out, but those who go along with the cult-like oath will also be swearing alligence to the Kings heirs. This includes Prince Andrew....

Pretty sure Andrew is not in the line of succession, so William is Chuck's heir.

Although it's probably only going to be the mongs on the mall swearing allegiance anyway, so pretty irrelevant.

On 30/04/2023 at 15:13, AlexLaw76 said:

There will be loads of dopey Royal fans, camping out from the next few days, who will be all over this

Hello from outside Buckingham palace. If you see a load of Union Jack foam hand on tv that’s me and the boyz down here. So proud.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Hello from outside Buckingham palace. If you see a load of Union Jack foam hand on tv that’s me and the boyz down here. So proud.

Rough night sleeping on the pavement on The Mall but we've made friends with a lovely family from Kettering and some absolute reprobates from Canada kept us laughing through the night. What a Blitz spirit down here and we've got a great spot so excited my facepaint keeps running

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Rough night sleeping on the pavement on The Mall but we've made friends with a lovely family from Kettering and some absolute reprobates from Canada kept us laughing through the night. What a Blitz spirit down here and we've got a great spot so excited my facepaint keeps running

I can see why your face painting colours have run

• Haha 3

Someone, somewhere has decided we’re going with the Christmas TV schedule this weekend. Mrs Doubtfire, Escape to Victory, The Dam busters, Pride and Prejudice, The Italian Job, Con Air, Jungle Book, Wallace and Gromit, From Russia with Love and Shawshank Redemption.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Someone, somewhere has decided we’re going with the Christmas TV schedule this weekend. Mrs Doubtfire, Escape to Victory, The Dam busters, Pride and Prejudice, The Italian Job, Con Air, Jungle Book, Wallace and Gromit, From Russia with Love and Shawshank Redemption.

It better be the original Italian job. The remake is a crock of shit.

• Like 2