The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

On 03/04/2024 at 15:47, whelk said:

Starmer might even grow a pair and increase tax on some of the gross wealth that has increased in last 10 years with this predicted majority. Doubt it 

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-forecast-to-win-landslide-of-over-400-seats-with-yougov-poll-predicting-tory-wipeout-at-election-13107202

I'm fairly confident he will. Job one is to get into power though and banging on about tax rises won't help that.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2024 at 12:30, aintforever said:

I'm fairly confident he will. Job one is to get into power though and banging on about tax rises won't help that.

Indeed.  The idea of "taxing the rich" seems to have weirdly adverse effect on swing voters

Great moment in the HoL - the front bench Tory peers trying not to laugh (and failing) https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lords-erupts-in-laughter-as-member-makes-dig-at-liz-truss-after-un-criticism/ar-BB1lJsD2?ocid=nl_article_link

Any opportunity to mock Liz Truss is a good one.

Daily Star’s front page is great again today.

Why Sunak didn’t expel her after she sat on a platform with Bannon, and Trump, allowing Bannon to eulogise about Tommy Robinson is beyond words, and will cost him and his party dozens of seats. That’s without taking into account the latest MLT-level delusional rantings in her book serialisation. If they’d announced she was joining Reform they’d have sunk them to boot.

She really does belong on that platform at Workington on a panel with MLT, Katie Hopkins and the other nutcases.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

A bunch of very wealthy people with murky finances trying to deflect by smearing a working class woman with innuendo and insinuation.

More, even some Tories, coming to defend Rayner. Will hopefully backfire and shows them as bullies rather than smearing Labour. And fuck the police

1 minute ago, whelk said:

More, even some Tories, coming to defend Rayner. Will hopefully backfire and shows them as bullies rather than smearing Labour. And fuck the police

People in glass houses..........

I suspect that for many of them this is a genie they would prefer to remain bottled.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

I hadn't realised before today that the accusations are about events 10 years ago and predate her getting elected. Suspect some Tories can see this is going to blow up in their faces and make them look even more unprincipled than before (if possible)  

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

In the absence of credible policy or a record to defend it's clearly the official election strategy from the top - attack Rayner and attack Sadiq Khan.

It looks pathetic and desperate, and is a suicidal plan that exposes the current cabinet for what they really are.

Fucking clueless.

• Like 2

We own 2 houses, if I said I lived in one & Mrs duck lived in the other, thus saving me a few quid in CGT when we sold, I would. Of course the lefties on here would call me all sorts if I confessed that.

I’m all for someone fiddling a few quid if they can get away with it, but surprised people who seem to support higher taxes are as well. Just goes to show, nobody wants to pay more tax, some people just pretend they do. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

"

47 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We own 2 houses, if I said I lived in one & Mrs duck lived in the other, thus saving me a few quid in CGT when we sold, I would. Of course the lefties on here would call me all sorts if I confessed that.

I’m all for someone fiddling a few quid if they can get away with it, but surprised people who seem to support higher taxes are as well. Just goes to show, nobody wants to pay more tax, some people just pretend they do. 

Raynor's CGT "fiddle", if that is what it is, amounts to somewhere around £3.5k. Nadim Zahawi tried to avoid paying £3.7m in CGT after a sale of shares, and ended up paying a 'seven figure settlement' to HMRC. However, I think this is now a claim of 'electoral fraud' relating to how she declared herself on the Register of Electors.

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

"

Raynor's CGT "fiddle", if that is what it is, amounts to somewhere around £3.5k. 

Which begs the question why didn’t she cough up when Ashcroft first brought it to light? If I’m a Labour strategist I’d have told her to do so.  She says something along the lines of

“ I don’t believe I owed anything at the time, but it was before I was an MP and unlike Tories I wasn’t able to afford tax advice. With it being such a long time ago and having quite complex family arrangements I can’t be 100% sure I didn’t make a good faith error. In light of this I am prepared to pay X amount of CGT that I may have inadvertently avoided. Unlike the Tories who go out of their way to avoid paying tax, I go out of my way to pay them , even if its unclear whether I actually owed anything”.

The story dies, she comes out of it looking good, and a contrast between Labour & Tories attitude towards tax. If she can’t actually make a voluntary payment, she could donate it to a homeless charity, with the same public goodwill towards her. 

Her continued insistence that she lived apart from the old man & kids is the biggest load of old pony since Dom went on a drive to test his eyesight. The reason she’s continuing with it maybe be down to it being a right to buy property. There’s probably a penalty to pay for renting it out so soon after buying, and it’s not a great look for someone to get a massive discount and then make income from it. There’s also income tax implications if it turns out her brother was renting it off her (as neighbours claim). 

As I said, I’ve no problem with anyone avoiding CGT, but I thought others who seem to be supporting her would. I can’t get away with it because we rent ours out through an agency, but if my sister moved in Instead, I probably could. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

30 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Which begs the question why didn’t she cough up when Ashcroft first brought it to light? If I’m a Labour strategist I’d have told her to do so.  She says something along the lines of

“ I don’t believe I owed anything at the time, but it was before I was an MP and unlike Tories I wasn’t able to afford tax advice. With it being such a long time ago and having quite complex family arrangements I can’t be 100% sure I didn’t make a good faith error. In light of this I am prepared to pay X amount of CGT that I may have inadvertently avoided. Unlike the Tories who go out of their way to avoid paying tax, I go out of my way to pay them , even if its unclear whether I actually owed anything”.

The story dies, she comes out of it looking good, and a contrast between Labour & Tories attitude towards tax. If she can’t actually make a voluntary payment, she could donate it to a homeless charity, with the same public goodwill towards her. 

Her continued insistence that she lived apart from the old man & kids is the biggest load of old pony since Dom went on a drive to test his eyesight. The reason she’s continuing with it maybe be down to it being a right to buy property. There’s probably a penalty to pay for renting it out so soon after buying, and it’s not a great look for someone to get a massive discount and then make income from it. There’s also income tax implications if it turns out her brother was renting it off her (as neighbours claim). 

As I said, I’ve no problem with anyone avoiding CGT, but I thought others who seem to be supporting her would. I can’t get away with it because we rent ours out through an agency, but if my sister moved in Instead, I probably could. 

Nobody is bothered mate. Like the pathetic curry gate. Discussed by podcasters but voters don’t really give a shit despite Daily Mail’s best efforts to make it a scandal. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

One of my favourite ever posts on here was when aintclever proudly boasted he’d be happy to pay more tax 🤣🤣🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, Turkish said:

One of my favourite ever posts on here was when aintclever proudly boasted he’d be happy to pay more tax 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’d rather pay a bit more tax and have a public services that are actually fit for purpose. Think many might agree with me.

Your obsession with me is a little bit weird. Favourite ever post - fuck me you need to get out more. :lol: 

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, aintforever said:

I’d rather pay a bit more tax and have a public services that are actually fit for purpose. Think many might agree with me.

Your obsession with me is a little bit weird. Favourite ever post - fuck me you need to get out more. :lol: 

Not favourite ever, I said one of my favourite ever

I like your posts because they are always nice surprise, just when you think someone can’t say anything more stupid up you pop again. It’s very cute. 

Posted (edited)

The government have announced a multi million pound investment in repairing potholes in Kent over the next eleven years. Anyone would think there was an election coming up!

The trouble is that it is too little too late. There has been so little investment in the infrastructure over the last decade that the problem isn’t just potholes. The road surfaces are all crumbling and breaking up. You won’t find many B roads that don’t need complete resurfacing and rebuilding of the road edges in Kent.

As for taxes, I think any reasonable person doesn’t mind paying a reasonable amount of tax so long as it goes on the things we all need and not into the pockets of the present government and their cronies. It seems ridiculous for the present government to be talking about tax cuts when the infrastructure of the country is in such a mess. The only way they can deliver on that promise is to cut public spending further. That won’t bother the selfish amongst us though who don’t give a toss about anything or anyone else as long as they are ok. Ring any bells?

It seems that plenty of people in the UK are public spirited though.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/17/half-public-pay-more-better-nhs-treatment-savanta-poll/#:~:text=Close to half of Britons,enthusiasm for health service reform.

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The government have announced a multi million pound investment in repairing potholes in Kent over the next eleven years. Anyone would think there was an election coming up!

The trouble is that it is too little too late. There has been so little investment in the infrastructure over the last decade that the problem isn’t just potholes. The road surfaces are all crumbling and breaking up. You won’t find many B roads that don’t need complete resurfacing and rebuilding of the road edges in Kent.

As for taxes, I think any reasonable person doesn’t mind paying a reasonable amount of tax so long as it goes on the things we all need and not into the pockets of the present government and their cronies. It seems ridiculous for the present government to be talking about tax cuts when the infrastructure of the country is in such a mess. The only way they can deliver on that promise is to cut public spending further. That won’t bother the selfish amongst us though who don’t give a toss about anything or anyone else as long as they are ok. Ring any bells?

In one breath, selfishly talks about multi million pound projects to fix the roads "not being enough" and demands more.

In the next breath throws out some random insults about selfish people.

The lack of self awareness is truly staggering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Agreed and 40% of your income plus all the other taxes are more than reasonable. No need to boast about wanting to pay more. Who apart from someone that wants to give the appearance that they're great guy would want that?

Anyway, We've had peoples credit scores and bar bills from Sydney. In true Saintswebs style should we start posting out P60s to prove how much tax we all pay?

As for your second point, no, who specifically are your talking about? Dont be a coward, name them.

Edited by Turkish

27 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In one breath, selfishly talks about multi million pound projects to fix the roads "not being enough" and demands more.

in his area as well in leafy villages in Kent, not one mention of using some of that money in deprived areas of big cities. Lets take as much as we can for my areas and to tell with everyone else. Then accuses others of being selfish.

Edited by Turkish

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Mate it's not enough, I don't know what the roads are like in your area, but here in Kent they are shocking, I am learning the line to take to avoid the holes and ruts. I've had two pot hole punctures in 18 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

So this morning we now see why the Tories are going after Ange, to get the desperate "they're all at it" defence out there first.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-04-17/tory-mp-menzies-under-investigation-by-party-over-claims-about-misuse-of-funds

I read this earlier, and immediately pictured someone at Tory HQ going over to the 'Number of days since last sleaze scandal' sign and setting it back to zero with a look of resignation on his face.

At this rate we won't even need a GE. The Tories seem perfectly capable of overturning their majority without one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I read this earlier, and immediately pictured someone at Tory HQ going over to the 'Number of days since last sleaze scandal' sign and setting it back to zero with a look of resignation on his face.

At this rate we won't even need a GE. The Tories seem perfectly capable of overturning their majority without one.

The dog eared zero.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Not favourite ever, I said one of my favourite ever

I like your posts because they are always nice surprise, just when you think someone can’t say anything more stupid up you pop again. It’s very cute. 

It's just a bit weird.

I've never met you, you don't know anything about me. Yet you remember posts I've made, probably from years ago, that I have completely forgotten myself. And then you name-drop me, out of the blue, on a thread I have hardly posted on. I can't imagine how empty one's life would have to be to behave like that. It's all a bit too Baby Reindeer for me.

image.thumb.png.309fea7744cb852cfff389bfb1aa1d2f.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It's just a bit weird.

I've never met you, you don't know anything about me. Yet you remember posts I've made, probably from years ago, that I have completely forgotten myself. And then you name-drop me, out of the blue, on a thread I have hardly posted on. I can't imagine how empty one's life would have to be to behave like that. It's all a bit too Baby Reindeer for me.

Turkish has a Rolodex on his desk, crossed referenced with posters and themes, there's a red tab on your name. He's promised to donate it to the Saintsweb museum when he's ready to part with it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

The government have announced a multi million pound investment in repairing potholes in Kent over the next eleven years. 

The trouble is that it is too little too late.

How much do you think the incoming Government should be spending on pot holes in Kent, billions? 

Harold Wilson couldn’t fix 4,000 in Blackburn, what makes you think Starmer will be any different. 

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

How much do you think the incoming Government should be spending on pot holes in Kent, billions? 

Harold Wilson couldn’t fix 4,000 in Blackburn, what makes you think Starmer will be any different. 

You probably need to explain that gag.

22 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Turkish has a Rolodex on his desk, crossed referenced with posters and themes, there's a red tab on your name. He's promised to donate it to the Saintsweb museum when he's ready to part with it.

funnily enough remember posters who made comments about shagging your dead mum isn't all that difficult....

51 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It's just a bit weird.

I remember quotes by lots of good comedians, Gervais, Flannigan, Carr, i remember your posts as they are also very funny, although for different reasons. 

9 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You probably need to explain that gag.

'A Day In The Life' by The Beatles.....

'I read the news today, oh boy.

4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire.

And though the holes were very small,

They had to count them all.

Now they know how many holes in takes to fill the Albert Hall'

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

funnily enough remember posters who made comments about shagging your dead mum isn't all that difficult....

Here we go, this bull comes up every five years. Take a little photo of the post from your Rolodex from the 'bad men' tab and post it on here and let's see what I really said. 

5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Mate it's not enough, I don't know what the roads are like in your area, but here in Kent they are shocking, I am learning the line to take to avoid the holes and ruts. I've had two pot hole punctures in 18 months.

Maybe it's not enough because the other tax income is spent on social services, healthcare, schools etc etc.

Stop being selfish and accept your puncture tax with grace.

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Maybe it's not enough because the other tax income is spent on social services, healthcare, schools etc etc.

Stop being selfish and accept your puncture tax with grace.

I would like the money I spend to drive to be spent on the roads and the other stuff to be funded through proper taxation. And Two prematurely retired tyres isn't good for the environment.

The roads were so much better under Blair.

• Like 1