The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

28 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Does 10 years include time for strikes as well or are they extra?

The best way to get a road resurfaced in France is to host a stage of the Tour De France.

1 hour ago, Picard said:

French TV did a report on English potholes (chicken's nests).

They say it would take 10 years and 19 billion euros to repair them all.

did that include the 7 years of it the French would be at lunch?

41 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The best way to get a road resurfaced in France is to host a stage of the Tour De France.

it's true. When we had it in Yorkshire the roads were perfect for a while, they've done nothing with them since mind.

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

it's true. When we had it in Yorkshire the roads were perfect for a while, they've done nothing with them since mind.

Buttertubs Pass became a really supreme drive after the TDF, even Fleet Moss which wasn’t on the route got done too. Not Park Rash though, the double hair pin was as rutted and lethal as always. 

Good segment here on Times Radio about Truss and what they think will be a continuing campaign of disruption to Sunak in the run-up to and probably during the GE campaign. Hoping James Bagge can give us all a ‘Martin Bell Tatton’ moment on election night.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

11 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In one breath, selfishly talks about multi million pound projects to fix the roads "not being enough" and demands more.

In the next breath throws out some random insults about selfish people.

The lack of self awareness is truly staggering.

What is truly staggering is the way that you take the posts of the people that you have taken a dislike to and reply to things they haven’t written thinking you have made them look silly. You are the one with zero self awareness and you make yourself look silly.

So let’s dissect your reply shall we? You say I have demanded more. Where in my post have I demanded more? I didn’t. You made it up.

You also made up the quotation “not being enough.”

I didn’t say it wasn’t enough. I said it was too little too late. If they had carried out reasonable maintenance over the last 14 years the roads would not be in such a bad condition now and require a greater level of repair. How is it selfish to want well maintained roads? I am not the only person who uses the roads in Kent and to state the obvious, better roads are better for everyone not just me.

It wasn’t a random insult. The comment was made in direct response to the poster who called out another poster earlier in this thread about being happy to pay more tax for better services. The poster concerned has a long track record of having an I’m Alright Jack and stuff everyone else attitude.

It’s sweet that you try and back up your like minded buddies, but more and more frequently you make Trigger from Only Fools And Horses look like Stephen Hawking during the process.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What is truly staggering is the way that you take the posts of the people that you have taken a dislike to and reply to things they haven’t written thinking you have made them look silly. You are the one with zero self awareness and you make yourself look silly.

So let’s dissect your reply shall we? You say I have demanded more. Where in my post have I demanded more? I didn’t. You made it up.

I didn’t say it wasn’t enough. I said it was too little too late. If they had carried out reasonable maintenance over the last 14 years the roads would not be in such a bad condition now and require a greater level of repair. How is it selfish to want well maintained roads? I am not the only person who uses the roads in Kent and to state the obvious, better roads are better for everyone not just me.

It wasn’t a random insult. The comment was made in direct response to the poster who called out another poster earlier in this thread about being happy to pay more tax for better services. The poster concerned has a long track record of having an I’m Alright Jack and stuff everyone else attitude.

It’s sweet that you try and back up your like minded buddies, but more and more frequently you make Trigger from Only Fools And Horses look like Stephen Hawking during the process.

This would be a poster you have claimed to have on ignore for years right??

As for having an im alright Jack attitude, my attitude is to control the things you can control and not get too bothered about things you cant, look after things that are in your circle of influence. It's served me pretty well. Ulike yourself who seems to be one of lifes victims. Spending your life wallowing in self pity, being outraged about things you read and watch and desperately failing to convince people on a forum football forum who dont know you what a great guy you are.

5B595ED8-EA97-443E-9DD0-2E205926EB64.thumb.jpeg.dbcd94e087af6c02de254d4ef8623963.jpegF989E170-9B48-4152-8042-C556F6F5CDA6.thumb.jpeg.a4513267626cb4f1758e1ee2d2d65147.jpeg21D7868C-F691-45BE-989C-60D6CB987819.thumb.jpeg.c33ac2617e9dc9dac5be462e6d30be35.jpeg

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

This is just surreal.....

Obvious PR ploy. Deny the reality of what the shadow sec is saying and make out like he's talking nonsense and refusing to support the bill, then they can get their enablers in the tabloid media to show a heavily edited clip that makes them look like they've somehow won the debate.

The really sad thing is, it will probably work.

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I didn’t say it wasn’t enough. I said it was too little too late.

So “too little” now means enough :mcinnes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Jesus wept!  So 'too little' is apparently 'enough' is it?

The trouble is that it is too little too late.

You didn't demand more, but you state there are hardly any B roads that don't need a complete resurfacing and rebuilding - I guess you don't 'want more' because you are happy with the state of the roads?

The road surfaces are all crumbling and breaking up. You won’t find many B roads that don’t need complete resurfacing and rebuilding of the road edges in Kent.

Your lack of self awareness is truly staggering.

you make Trigger from Only Fools And Horses look like Stephen Hawking

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

What I find amusing about the Scottish Parliament is the way they blame all their ills on "the UK Government'' as if Scotland wasn't part of the UK.

As you predicted, the reason that they gave for not meeting their climate goal, was that Westminster didn't give them funds for carbon capture. That was from their spokesperson this morning. Deflection from all the other parts of it, they'd utterly failed in.

That was right after deflecting blame onto the whole of their prentendy assembly.

Just after admitting that the target was never achievable. They criticised other governments for not being as ambitious in their made up goals and tried to get voters off the back of figures they were never going to get.

This from a place essentially run by a Green party that other Green parties won't touch. Theywere far too busy enshrining their gender agenda, without supportive clinical evidence. Yesterday, was also when they officially announced a ban on puberty blockers.

Views may differ on the subject, but no group is served by an ideological crusade run in the face of evidence. Except the dodgy folk behind it. It seems only the possibility of legal action from those they "supported" through it, stopped them.

Dodgy folk also refers to their former CEO and key part of the tiny inner circle, charged with embezzlement yesterday. Ongoing investigation. But reading plenty of cynics wondering just how much truth is likely to come out. A previous leader's legal action against them is still ongoing, and mired in what can be revealed.

A bumper day of horrid news.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Wasn’t laughing at your post but was laughing at the SNP and Sturgeon.

Whoops.

Meanwhile Bannon and Trump’s influence evident on Liz Truss https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68853672

Lol.

They're going to remove the quote from future publications - basically that means do nothing as they know they won't need to print more!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lol.

They're going to remove the quote from future publications - basically that means do nothing as they know they won't need to print more!

They should not need to print any more... But apparently the book is high up in the Amazon best sellers list. 

I suppose that sad people who rubberneck at a car crash are buying it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It does. Lefties are OK with her fiddling CGT because the Tories are worse. 

Coming from someone who often repeated the phrase "Brexit trumps bad behaviour" and was repeatedly willing to overlook anything dodgy if it aided Brexit, I find this quite ironic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

And if GMP find no wrongdoing ?

Dom didn’t receive any action for driving to the castle to “test his eyesight “. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a load of old pony. She clearly wasn’t living apart from her husband for those years, so some CGT was due. Proving it is a different matter. I could do exactly the same thing and get away with it, the lack of police charges doesn’t mean I didn’t fiddle my taxes. Unlike certain posters I’m all for anyone getting away with a few quid, doesn’t matter if they’re Tory or Labour. CGT is too high anyway, so if you can avoid it, fair play. 

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Coming from someone who often repeated the phrase "Brexit trumps bad behaviour" and was repeatedly willing to overlook anything dodgy if it aided Brexit, I find this quite ironic.

I think you’ll find it was Margaret Beckett who first used that particular phrase whilst defending Bercow. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

I think you’ll find it was Margaret Beckett who first used that particular phrase whilst defending Bercow. 

And you repeated when talking about Dom Cummings trip to a castle.  I'm sure I can find it if I had time and inclination.

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’m all for anyone getting away with a few quid, doesn’t matter if they’re Tory or Labour.

Imagine being proud of thinking like this. Yeah kids get away with what you can and I will be proud of you. 

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Imagine being proud of thinking like this. Yeah kids get away with what you can and I will be proud of you. 

Who'd have thought it?  LD champion of the benefit fraudster, the sicknote employee and the workshy.  Bloody lefty.  

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Who'd have thought it?  LD champion of the benefit fraudster, the sicknote employee and the workshy.  Bloody lefty.  

Bet when his back aches there will be a blue badge application

• Like 2

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

You clearly struggle to understand the difference between tax & benefits. 

Still at least you acknowledge support of  benefit fraud, sick-note culture  & the work shy is a lefty thing. 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You clearly struggle to understand the difference between tax & benefits. 

Still at least you acknowledge support of  benefit fraud, sick-note culture  & the work shy is a lefty thing. 

Ah, yeah, you see what I did there was to parody your views for comic effect.  I do regret not calling you a pinko though - it really would have worked better.  Promise it won't happen again.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Odd.

Kwarteng has allegedly fucked Amber Rudd and Liz Truss, but doesn't even merit his own line on the spreadsheet!

He was the one it was done to 😁 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Maybe 'whip' is in the wrong column for some of them.

No sign of Priti Patel on that list then…

Denials from a few of the names at the time https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5039385/Two-ministers-condemn-dirty-dossier-claims.html but Bob Stewart (now without the whip…) was then cited for using the phrase ‘totty’ to a female reporter the previous year, which hasn’t been used in the workplace since 1990-something. No response there on being allegedly ‘perpetually intoxicated’ either. 2017 wasn’t the best year in the Stewart household https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4257998/Claire-Podbielski-Stewart-banned-drink-driving.html

Edited by Gloucester Saint

5 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Rory Stewart asked a female researcher to do "odd things". 

The mind boggles. 

Ask her to dress and talk like Lord Duckhunter. I'm picturing stonewash jeans, keys clipped to belt loop, fleece with a picture of a howling wolf on the back and crocs with Simpson and dinosaur jibbitz whilst talking about pinkos and snap dragons.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

When do folks think the first deportation flight will take off for Rwanda ? I reckon Rishi will miss his target of July, probably by some distance.

I'd be surprised if it ever does, will be several roadblocks and by the time they get over them the election will take place and it will be canned. 

It was also a logistically foolish policy, they were just betting on it resonating more with the public, which it hasn't really.  Complete bunch of useless chancers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'd be surprised if it ever does, will be several roadblocks and by the time they get over them the election will take place and it will be canned. 

It was also a logistically foolish policy, they were just betting on it resonating more with the public, which it hasn't really.  Complete bunch of useless chancers.

They can then point the finger at lefty liberals, the ECHR, Labour etc and shout do you want more of this under Labour.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I’m wondering who these people are that think “oh look, we’re deporting our refugees to Rwanda, I must remember to vote for Rishi Sunak for that”. 

I mean, I’m sure there’s some but not many who see it as both a cost effective and human natured solution.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’m wondering who these people are that think “oh look, we’re deporting our refugees to Rwanda, I must remember to vote for Rishi Sunak for that”. 

I mean, I’m sure there’s some but not many who see it as both a cost effective and human natured solution.

Agreed, but I think they thought otherwise.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Apart from the fact that this plan is ridiculously expensive it is highly unlikely to prove to be a deterrent. Another five people drowned this morning trying to cross the channel (including a 7 year old girl) so if death doesn’t deter them I doubt if the 0.07% chance of being deported to Rwanda will. 
For a supposedly very intelligent person, Sunak is displaying an incredible lack of judgement here. The small boats are way down most ordinary people’s list of priorities when it comes to how they will choose to vote come the next election. This seems more about trying to placate the far right of his party when he really needs to be trying to persuade the electorate that he has something better to offer the country than the last 14 years of car crash politics.

It’s almost as if he thinks that if he manages to get one plane off to Rwanda everything will suddenly become rosy in the Tory garden. The small boats will not stop. The economy isn’t going to magically bounce back by November. The NHS waiting lists aren’t going to vanish overnight. The industrial unrest isn’t going away anytime soon. He is toast. But he will still hang on to the Rwanda bill as it proves (in his own head)  that he is a capable, serious Prime Minister who can deliver well constructed, cost effective and efficiently implemented policies.

What it does do is prove that he is none of these things.

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

People who are going to vote for the Reform party. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

People who are going to vote for the Reform party. 

Well, this is it, isn’t it. The Tories seem to have pivoted away from actively trying to attract the centre and are now actively trying to shore up their support more towards the right. A bit of a kick-in for Kier really as the amount of people who will see positivity from the Rwanda deal especially is surely a fairly small fraction.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Hideously expensive too for what, 1% of cases - one figure circulating of £230k per asylum seeker https://www.ft.com/content/3a8e4b8b-1e30-4423-83a0-818f2b7dec05

Some of the figures are eye watering here https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-stalled-rwanda-asylum-scheme-could-soar-to-500m-watchdog-says-13083968

Four times the cost of accommodation whilst processing appeals. Far better to invest that extra funding to speed cases up and put extra venues on for hearings. 

As Daniel Finkenstein says in The Times, the main USP of the Tory Party was that although public services wouldn’t be everything you want to be, there would be fiscal caution as a trade off. Now that’s gone out of the window over the last 14 years, the national debt doubled even from the credit crunch highest point under Brown before Ukraine war and even Covid, there’s no point in voting for them. He thinks Truss in particular will be the same millstone the IMF 1976 and Winter of Discontent was for Labour in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. 

This outrageous waste of taxpayers money for a publicity stunt does nothing to solve what is a very difficult issue. 

Can you hear the Taxpayers Alliance complaining? Only about aid given to groups appealing against it https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/millions_given_out_to_groups_campaigning_against_rwanda_plan

£3m vs £500m. Hmmm, looks like their maths is as wonky as the Tory Party. No wonder the Truss 44 days was such a disaster with Matthew Sinclair their former research director (ha ha) a core part of Truss’s team as economic advisor.

• Like 2

Maybe not the right place for this but a giant of a politician who worked cross-parties all his career from the 70s at CPAG to Thatcher, Minister under Blair (fell out with Gordon Brown), and finally a Conservative-nominated cross-bench Peer.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-veteran-frank-field-dies-12914087

They don’t make them like that any more 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Maybe not the right place for this but a giant of a politician who worked cross-parties all his career from the 70s at CPAG to Thatcher, Minister under Blair (fell out with Gordon Brown), and finally a Conservative-nominated cross-bench Peer.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-veteran-frank-field-dies-12914087

They don’t make them like that any more 

He had strong political convictions based upon his religious beliefs. Whilst not necessarily agreeing with religious beliefs dictating political opinions it was nice to see a politician following his convictions rather than focus group opinions. 

Posted (edited)

This is the deputy leader of the party looking to replace the Tories in this country. There are people in this country who will agree with him.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/24/dont-rescue-people-who-scupper-their-channel-boats-says-reform-uk-deputy

More nonsense too from someone who was CotE. Cuts of £100m a year but it is the council’s fault they ended up bankrupt 🤔

https://edge.media/pm-says-council-bankrupted-itself-amid-100-million-cuts/

Anyone out there still want to vote for these clowns?

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text