Russell Martin

LegalEagle

13 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. Stephens, McCarthy, or any senior pro could pick a team and set them up better. Keeping it simple but be so much more effective than we're getting. 

Might as well put Jack to use where he’s injured for a while. Speaks well, can organise, players respect him and already club captain. It’s got a fuck sight worse since he got injured v QPR. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Might as well put Jack to use where he’s injured for a while. Speaks well, can organise, players respect him and already club captain. It’s got a fuck sight worse since he got injured v QPR. 

Yep. I'd genuinely prefer a caretaker to this bloke. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Yes, an experienced manager who knows the f*cking basics, caretaker or on a rolling one year contract.

Agreed, Martin is such a project manager. That’s fine and dandy in the prem, but with the best squad in the league just get someone who’ll put the best 11 on the pitch and tell them to play. None of this football philosophy bollox. Someone who tells them footballs a simple game - you pass, you shoot. Kick up the arse if needed. 

• Like 3

This dispriting run of results, with what is perhaps the most expensive squad in the division, is I suppose a remarkable achievement of sorts. Despite that RM seems intent on sticking to his football philosophy (rightly or wrongly) and methinks the club will give him more time to turn things around - but it goes without saying that football is all about results and obviously that familiar old clock is ticking down to midnight now. 

The next question is who would replace him if it came to that - what decent employed manager would leave any club quite this early in the season? And that appointed would of course be made by the same people who though RM was the right man for the job. 

14 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Agreed, Martin is such a project manager. That’s fine and dandy in the prem, but with the best squad in the league just get someone who’ll put the best 11 on the pitch and tell them to play. None of this football philosophy bollox. Someone who tells them footballs a simple game - you pass, you shoot. Kick up the arse if needed. 

Reminds me of a highly successful former saints manager.

• Like 1

Yesterday evening bumped into a pal on the off chance. He runs a successful business locally and has solid links to senior ex-players and the club generally. We discussed RM and the Ipswich game and he told me Martin was a dead man walking, that he’d heard that SR have already decided to pull the plug. Thought it was tongue in cheek, wind up, but he was adamant. Not for one second suggesting ITK but maybe Solak has lost patience already. Martin’s press conferences either side of today’s debacle - bravery, singling out players, leaving a lovely club to come to Southampton, all the young coaches - showed a fragmenting man on the edge.  Never nice to see a person in that position but our club needs stabilising right now. Poor bastard is out of his depth.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, saintant said:

RM needs to start being far more honest with himself and the fans. He fools no one with his comments. JW needs to have a word with him.

This is what Wilcox said about RM on his appointment: “Russell has shown fantastic qualities in his managerial career so far and is someone who we believe will thrive in the great environment we have here at Southampton.

“He is a fantastic fit for what we are trying to achieve, with a strong record of developing and nurturing young, talented players to fulfil their potential and deliver results on the pitch.

“We can’t wait for Russell to get started working with the team at Staplewood as we get ready for the new season.”

So either JW is as clueless as Ankersen, Kraft and the rest of the SR clowns (who are the ones who chose Wilcox, BTW), or toes the party line and is a bullshitter. Either way, it looks like we are in deep shit if we are relying on JW to help us get out of this mess.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Last season we were relegated because the board made bad decisions and then were far to slow to rectify them. 

This season they’ve made yet another bad decision. I hope they’ll act quickly before too much damage is done, but I don’t think they will. This joker should never have been hired. He didn’t have the credentials for the job. Now he’s shown he isn’t up to it they need to act quickly. 

My fear is that after they don’t, we’ll be left in a position where we finish lower mid table. We will then have the problem of not coming up quick enough whilst there’s still some money and before you know it, we’re stuck in the lower reaches. As we’ve seen before, you then run the risk of being dragged down again 

• Like 2

Just now, WestMidSaint said:

Last season we were relegated because the board made bad decisions and then were far to slow to rectify them. 

This season they’ve made yet another bad decision. I hope they’ll act quickly before too much damage is done, but I don’t think they will. This joker should never have been hired. He didn’t have the credentials for the job. Now he’s shown he isn’t up to it they need to act quickly. 

My fear is that after they don’t, we’ll be left in a position where we finish lower mid table. We will then have the problem of not coming up quick enough whilst there’s still some money and before you know it, we’re stuck in the lower reaches. As we’ve seen before, you then run the risk of being dragged down again 

I think the slight difference this season is that SR probably don't think there is any chance we'll go down. That being so I think they'll stick with RM and hope things improve. I don't think things will improve but that's likely their mind set.

Genuine options that I think could work for club and fans:

Scott Parker.  Has two promotions as manager from this division on his CV

Chris Hughton.  Again proven in this division with promotions

Tony Mowbray.  Ditto, would require us to pay compensation.  Brother already works for the club

None of these three play long ball football but all have more balance about them than RM kamikazee football

2 minutes ago, Forester said:

Tony Mowbray.  Ditto, would require us to pay compensation.  Brother already works for the club

None of these three play long ball football but all have more balance about them than RM kamikazee football

According to reports Tony Mowbray was being considered before we appointed Martin.  Can't see him moving to us but I'd take him all day long if it was possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forester said:

They'd all require compensation wouldn't they. Parker seems another Martin to me who almost bungled Bournemouth re-promotion despite massive investment.

I have been half joking about Nige but seeing those names i'm thinking i should consider it more seriously.

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Tbf there’s not a lot of point in sacking him, Sports Republic will only go and find us someone worse.

Yes indeed, if they are given the chance. But Dragan is the boss. Yes, he probably knows next to nothing about football, but he surely it has dawned on him that SR are beyond incompetent. If he has any business sense he'll drag JW into his office, tell him to get a list of potential new managers from Ankersen. Then tell him not to hire anyone from that list, and instead hire a committee of football experts to come up with a short list of experienced managers who they can hire on a rolling one-year contract. No more hipsters and losers. 

• Like 2

It's quite sad really, bad decision after bad decision, Martin must have thought he had what it takes...and we all hoped at last we'd have a manager and team we can get behind. What a mess we've had since SR takeover. 

We should start calling him RHCP Russell, with all this repetition of 'scar tissue'.

Russell Martin we want you gone
Arrogant fucking know-it-all
Pack your bags and we'll book your flights
someone edit the following to make it work...:
With the birds I'll share

With the birds I'll share this lonely view
With the birds I'll share this lonely view
Edited by sfc4prem

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think there are bigger issues at the club that the board are letting on and I don't think sacking the manager will solve it.

It took us two seasons to get out of League 1, I think we should just write this season off, stick with Martin and properly push next season.

like what?

the manager has a brilliant championship squad

I think we’re all just sick of one experiment after another. This one looks like it’s going to be a disaster too at the moment. 

let’s go back to basics, be a normal club, stop trying to be clever. Get a manager on who knows how to get promoted and make us tough to beat 

• Like 11

Leeds next, no points. Stoke away on a Tuesday? No points. Rotherham at home could be the next time we see anything resembling a point. Then there's a good Hull side and Preston, who are flying high. 

I hate to say it but after 4 pathetic defeats, I'm very close to saying Martin out. Bring in someone now who can put a hairdryer up the player's butts. We're stuck with this lot until January, SURELY someone can put together a team that can at least draw a game!

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

Leeds next, no points. Stoke away on a Tuesday? No points. Rotherham at home could be the next time we see anything resembling a point. Then there's a good Hull side and Preston, who are flying high. 

I hate to say it but after 4 pathetic defeats, I'm very close to saying Martin out. Bring in someone now who can put a hairdryer up the player's butts. We're stuck with this lot until January, SURELY someone can put together a team that can at least draw a game!

I know i should be confident of us beating an awful rotherham side that are 2nd bottom but with Martin in charge i'm not. Under him we're the gift that keeps giving

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think there are bigger issues at the club that the board are letting on and I don't think sacking the manager will solve it.

It took us two seasons to get out of League 1, I think we should just write this season off, stick with Martin and properly push next season.

Write the season off?  Can I have a refund on my season ticket then.

• Like 2

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

He isn't out of his depth, he's managed at this level the last couple of seasons!

If we keep on losing then obviously he has to go but I think a bigger issue is the owners and recruitment. 

OK, what could the owners be doing to impact Russell Martin?

Recruitment? The squad is easily one of the best/deepest in the league.  easily