Russell Martin

LegalEagle

For years- make that a century - we have struggled to ever consistently be at the elite end of ANY comparison table.

To scorn that we are in the company of the best teams in the world is cutting off your nose to spite your face - though that’s meat and drink to some of the professional cynics here.

In fact, historically, SFC are masters of mediocrity. We are bottom quartile for everything usually. Especially last year. Let’s scorn that shall we? 

What that table shows is that SOMETHING is going right this season. If Saints can stop the goals against count we might be on to something here. Or shall we go back to endless below average at everything like the last 100 years give or take a few bright spots? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

For years- make that a century - we have struggled to ever consistently be at the elite end of ANY comparison table.

To scorn that we are in the company of the best teams in the world is cutting off your nose to spite your face - though that’s meat and drink to some of the professional cynics here.

In fact, historically, SFC are masters of mediocrity. We are bottom quartile for everything usually. Especially last year. Let’s scorn that shall we? 

What that table shows is that SOMETHING is going right this season. If Saints can stop the goals against count we might be on to something here. Or shall we go back to endless below average at everything like the last 100 years give or take a few bright spots? 

Absolute bullshit!

We won groundsman of the year award year after year until we weren't allowed to mow patterns into the grass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Absolute bullshit!

We won groundsman of the year award year after year until we weren't allowed to mow patterns into the grass.

And best singers...

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Bullshit....we held this badboy for a while

image.png.7e3353e7956daeb7d03f8c09ee398df8.png

On 22/03/2024 at 03:33, Barsiem said:

Only us and Munich are more than a couple of points off top of our respective leagues in that table. 

Shows the importance of possession, but as has been pointed out we've been lacking in execution sadly...

Or it shows that if you're at the top of your league you probably have more possession than the opposition by virtue of being the better team. Does rain cause wet roads or do wet roads cause rain?

• Like 5

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Jesus wept.

No one asked and no one cared where we were in the global possession table when we were finishing top 7 twice under Koeman.

The idea this season is our best in a century is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 14

That’s why I wasn’t too disappointed when Lawrie upped and left for Sunderland, we’d been slipping down the Global possession league for a while and were  in danger of falling into the possession conference. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I’d swap that night against inter Milan for another crack at Rotherham…. Not to avenge the 1-1, but to see if we can tip 85% in the possession stats

image.png.8532bc00d4d4f889d67048d70e9c3803.png

Russell Martin after reviewing his 85% possession match.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Indeed. Never gonna win any trophies with that shit possession.

Screenshot_2024-03-23-17-39-23-721_uk.co.bbc.android.sportdomestic-edit.jpg

One of the few bright sparks during our 100 year long appalling run of form.

• Haha 2

Professional handwringers are United it seems. 
We ARE doing something right and instead of scorning it we should be saying good that’s great now let’s stop the too many goals conceded.

But no, too obvious. Some of you are obviously getting off on how “crap” Saints are, as usual. You love to say things like “High possession stats means nothing because…we are shit at defending ….” Or words to that effect as if you had just revealed an ancient prophecy or discovered life on mars or indeed are the reincarnation of Einstein.

Truly some of you should form a masochists society given your amazing and highly intelligent propensity for revelling in how bad everything always is at Saints and giving it your best but pitiful cynical put downs on anything that looks remotely like a bright spot for SFC. 
Something to build on something that’s got us in good company? Oh no let us cleverly piss on that particular bonfire notion cos it’s not fun unless we can turn our hate frustration and general life impotency into attacking something in a an forum that you should actually be putting down as plus. 
Jesus wept indeed. Sad fuckers. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tbf we are where we are, which is great with the level of coaching and choice of the last 3 managers. 

RM must be thinking wow Playoffs that’s exactly what I thought. 

We clearly had a budget to tempt RM, a typical Championship manager.

As a result our current position is absolutely fair given the managers experience.

Leeds , Leicester recognised the level of exposure at Premier League and what it takes to be around that environment for a manager/ Head Coach.

Imo it’s no surprise to see where those two teams are at the moment and likely to finish. 

Exactly why we are where we are and will end up finishing.

RM has done a very, very good Championship job. Fair play to him, as a Saints fan is that what I want.

No….,

Edited by Saint Gifford
  • Confused 2

We ARE doing something right and instead of scorning it we should be saying good that’s great now let’s stop the too many goals conceded.

But no, too obvious. Some of you are obviously getting off on how “crap” Saints are, as usual. You love to say things like “High possession stats means nothing because…we are shit at defending ….” Or words to that effect as if you had just revealed an ancient prophecy or discovered life on mars or indeed are the reincarnation of Einstein.

Truly some of you should form a masochists society given your amazing and highly intelligent propensity for revelling in how bad everything always is at Saints and giving it your best but pitiful cynical put downs on anything that looks remotely like a bright spot for SFC. 
Something to build on something that’s got us in good company? Oh no let us cleverly piss on that particular bonfire notion cos it’s not fun unless we can turn our hate frustration and general life impotency into attacking something in a an forum that you should actually be putting down as plus. 

Do you not see a connection between the amount of goals conceded and the obsession with possession?

• Like 2

You need to stop drinking that bottle of Sherry when you wake up.

• Like 3

On 22/03/2024 at 10:24, gio1saints said:

You obviously didn't watch the teams when Lawrie was manager then? Far, far from mediocre. Then there was Poch, Koeman teams finishing way up the table. The team now is the very definition of mediocre and Martin should be doing a lot better given the players at his disposal. You are full of crap honestly

• Like 10

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

You obviously didn't watch the teams when Lawrie was manager then? Far, far from mediocre. Then there was Poch, Koeman teams finishing way up the table. The team now is the very definition of mediocre, thanks in no small part to Martin. You are full of crap honestly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

You obviously didn't watch the teams when Lawrie was manager then? Far, far from mediocre. Then there was Poch, Koeman teams finishing way up the table. The team now is the very definition of mediocre and Martin should be doing a lot better given the players at his disposal. You are full of crap honestly

Reread this when you’ve sobered up. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No, I don’t think that’s always been the case.

In our last trip to the Premier League we had an aggregate goal difference of -101. Not always negative seasons but we are pretty consistent at shipping goals. 

18 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

In our last trip to the Premier League we had an aggregate goal difference of -101. Not always negative seasons but we are pretty consistent at shipping goals. 

We did't have an obsession with possession when we were in the PL so that is completely irrelevant.

During our unbeaten run we had a positive goal difference so it clearly can be done whilst obsessing about possession - but we also didn't have too many wacky team selections during that time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

You have to love the little obsession on this forum of a few nutcases wanting to absolutely trash the entirity of our history just to make Russell Martin look like a managerial genius.

The Koeman years we had astonishing goals against but fuck all that because genius Russell scored a home win against Huddersfield Town despite conceding three.

Hate to tell you ladies but this is not, and never will be, a standout season for us.

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Goal difference is not the same as goals conceded. It might just have been that we didn’t score many.

16 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Calm down Russ. We need you in tip top mental state for the run-in. 

• Haha 2

On 23/03/2024 at 17:23, Miltonaggro said:

Glad we don't have to endure this kind of shit anymore:

Southampton 4-0 Arsenal : Ronald Koeman Post Match Interview - YouTube

On a slightly more serious note - Some of the best football I can remember seeing at St Mary's under Koeman. 

Quick, direct and effecient - I'd take this over passing the ball around for 95 minutes every day of the week. 

• Like 5

I supposed that this was a thread that was complimentary to Russell Martin?, but now I'm not so sure.

OK we lost a few games at the start of the season when - to be fair - we still didn't have a settled starting side, and 

half-a-dozen new players who'd hardly set foot on the pitch at SMS,  although  I'm still not sure that we've got one now.

It's not only Alzheimer sufferers who have short memories, because  * one or two notable critics on this site are always quick to criticise

RM even when we win, yet don't score " enough " goals, and that 20+ record run of unbeaten games has suddenly become ancient history.

Lawrie McMenemy's  now-legendary quote comes to mind, when at the height of our success in the early 1980's he said ..

" As a manager you can never win.   When we win, the fans say... the team played well ",  if we lose ..it's my fault because I picked them ".

Those " disappointed fans"  are just a couple of posts away from calling for RM's sacking, and it's hard to see the logic in their arguments. 

Sitting here with 10 games to go.. I think he has already done a remarkable job regardless of our final placing at the end of the season.

* ....no names - no pack drill,´.......  we all know who you are. 

• Like 3

I’ve just been watching an old Man City documentary from 1981.  Malcom Allison was their manager and they played a passing game like ours.  Inevitably, he got sacked as they were bottom of the league.

John Bond came in and threw a load of common sense into the side.  He gave a few bollockings for overplaying at the back and losing the ball.  They still played football in the right way,  climbed the table and got to the best FA Cup final I’ve ever seen.

My point is, the manager should be fuming when we overplay in dangerous areas and give the ball away (as we do occasionally).  Temper it with a bit of common sense.  I get the feeling he accepts it as collateral damage.

Just a thought.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

My point is, the manager should be fuming when we overplay in dangerous areas and give the ball away (as we do occasionally).  Temper it with a bit of common sense.  I get the feeling he accepts it as collateral damage.

Just a thought.

I think he does, he was in the studio after a game not so long back and guys in studio asked him about playing out from the back and getting it wrong and opposition scoring from it, he said he doesn't care if they score it happens but we'll carry on, the presenters faces said it all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Those " disappointed fans"  are just a couple of posts away from calling for RM's sacking, and it's hard to see the logic in their arguments. 

I haven’t seen many calling for his sacking. 

From what I can see the logic from the “disappointed fans”, is they don’t give a shiny shite how much possession we have, and that taking a play off standard squad to the play offs, doesn’t make this a golden period in our history. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, david in sweden said:

OK we lost a few games at the start of the season

We'd already played 5 games before the Sunderland/Leicester/Ipswich/Middlesbrough calamity (10 games if you count pre-season matches) so stretching it a smidge to say it was "at the start" of the season. 

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’ve just been watching an old Man City documentary from 1981.  Malcom Allison was their manager and they played a passing game like ours.  Inevitably, he got sacked as they were bottom of the league.

John Bond came in and threw a load of common sense into the side.  He gave a few bollockings for overplaying at the back and losing the ball.  They still played football in the right way,  climbed the table and got to the best FA Cup final I’ve ever seen.

Just a thought.

That's a really interesting comparison, though hopefully not prophetic.  Allison was always vaunted as the 'next big thing' a thoroughly 'modern' coach with a pedigree from the 'academy of football' but seemed to get found out as a legend between his own years very quickly.  Struggled everywhere apart from Palace in the season we beat them in the cup semi (75-76) and a later season at Sporting Lisbon in Portugal (finishing third in a three team league).  When Strachan talked about propaganda football he probably had Allison's teams in mind.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

That's a really interesting comparison, though hopefully not prophetic.  Allison was always vaunted as the 'next big thing' a thoroughly 'modern' coach with a pedigree from the 'academy of football' but seemed to get found out as a legend between his own years very quickly.  Struggled everywhere apart from Palace in the season we beat them in the cup semi (75-76) and a later season at Sporting Lisbon in Portugal (finishing third in a three team league).  When Strachan talked about propaganda football he probably had Allison's teams in mind.  

John Bond said Allison could make individual players better but not teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

I think he does, he was in the studio after a game not so long back and guys in studio asked him about playing out from the back and getting it wrong and opposition scoring from it, he said he doesn't care if they score it happens but we'll carry on, the presenters faces said it all 

Ridiculous.  

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

John Bond said Allison could make individual players better but not teams.

Yeah, was seen much more as a continental style coach, I always thought he was a complete bell end.  Bond was big mates with McMenemy and like LMc a pragmatist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You have to love the little obsession on this forum of a few nutcases wanting to absolutely trash the entirity of our history just to make Russell Martin look like a managerial genius.

The Koeman years we had astonishing goals against but fuck all that because genius Russell scored a home win against Huddersfield Town despite conceding three.

Hate to tell you ladies but this is not, and never will be, a standout season for us.

Complete Bollox Fry strikes again. Well done sweetheart. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I was biased with Koeman as my favourite player as a kid. Fancied myself as a ball playing centre half and my Dad, who had been a decent player, said to me watch this young  lad who has just broken into Dutch team at 19, he's mustard.  Koeman's time for us as a manager is about as near as you'll get to the upper echelons of the McMenemy era for those too young to have enjoyed it.  High tempo attacking football with proper footballers in key positions, playing with a tempo and belief that anyone we played was fair game.  Right club at right time for Ronald and us. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 3

The sad fuckers from before who are only at their happiest pissing on one of the relatively few bright spots of recent times for saints are still the same sad fuckers.

Scorn me all you like, sad fucks, but, unlike you, I give credit where it’s due and RM has already achieved something incredible. It’s not the final product but it’s promising. You, I repeat, sad fucks who revel in anti saints propaganda are going to be in sad fuck heaven soon if we fail to go up and you get your wishes to see us being yet again a no mark team. 
RM is trying, Saints are trying, to do something ridiculously hard. Part of it seems to be going right as we are in good company with our style of football. Not the results- yet. And it’s harder still with the sad fucks who call themselves supporters constantly just being the sad fucks that they are. 

So, sad fucks, you are obviously allowed on this forum to carry on with relentless personal abuse - because I get it every week all season from you - but I hope you just wipe the tears from your eyes for a moment and realise that you actually better have an argument to bring to the table if you want to bring RM and The spirit of the club down right now. Or me. 

“Only” being fourth does not cut the mustard from where we were this time last year so your pathetic attempts at undermining the club and its fanbase at this crucial moment of the season just sums you up. Sad fucks. 

Edited by gio1saints
Misspelled sad fucks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

Turn 'em on, turn 'em on

Turn on those sad fucks

When all hope is gone (oooh)

Why don't you tune in and turn them on?

They reach into your room, oh waoah

Just feel their gentle touch (gentle touch)

When all hope is gone (ooh)

Sad fucks say so much

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

The sad fuckers from before who are only at their happiest pissing on one of the relatively few bright spots of recent times for saints are still the same sad fuckers.

Scorn me all you like, sad fucks, but, unlike you, I give credit where it’s due and RM has already achieved something incredible. It’s not the final product but it’s promising. You, I repeat, sad fucks who revel in anti saints propaganda are going to be in sad fuck heaven soon if we fail to go up and you get your wishes to see us being yet again a no mark team. 
RM is trying, Saints are trying, to do something ridiculously hard. Part of it seems to be going right as we are in good company with our style of football. Not the results- yet. And it’s harder still with the sad fucks who call themselves supporters constantly just being the sad fucks that they are. 

So, sad fucks, you are obviously allowed on this forum to carry on with relentless personal abuse - because I get it every week all season from you - but I hope you just wipe the tears from your eyes for a moment and realise that you actually better have an argument to bring to the table if you want to bring RM and The spirit of the club down right now. Or me. 

“Only” being fourth does not cut the mustard from where we were this time last year so your pathetic attempts at undermining the club and its fanbase at this crucial moment of the season just sums you up. Sad fucks. 

You need to calm down!

You're so wound up you can't spell "sad fucks"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You have to love the little obsession on this forum of a few nutcases wanting to absolutely trash the entirety of our history just to make Russell Martin look like a managerial genius.

I actually can't believe there are actually some people that disagree with this. Mental.

• Like 1