Russell Martin

LegalEagle

17 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You lose a couple of games and everything you do is evidence you're a prick. Including telling a goalkeeper to fuck off, the same goalkeeper your fanbase spent 90 minutes telling to fuck off. That's the game.

He’s the manager, not a fan. It’s evidence of a loss of control. He’s far, far too emotional and it’s effect is clear for all to see. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, LGTL said:

He’s the manager, not a fan. It’s evidence of a loss of control. He’s far, far too emotional and it’s effect is clear for all to see. 

So? Find me a manager who isn't far too emotional? Emotional managers are bred in this country, the fanbase, the game, the culture, they all crave it, it's all part of the melo drama, if you're not emotional you get eaten up by it all and become irrelevant. Please name me a relevant manager who isn't a petty fuck when he's lost a game or two. 

Honestly, the desperation on here from those who doubted him at the start is so obvious it's incredible. Starved for months because it's been going well but absolutely ravenous when a defeat is put in front of you. Can't blame you really. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

He’s never ignored Rishi Sunak, but I wouldn’t be opposed if he didn’t. RM made his views very clear.

He needs to shoulder some responsibility, change tactics, there’s no way for sugar coating it but if we don’t score more goals we will not go up. 
I was expecting a response after the dross of Hull on Tuesday but I think it’s pretty evident that we’re a long way from Leeds’ and Leicester’s level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He’s never ignored Rishi Sunak, but I wouldn’t be opposed if he didn’t. RM made his views very clear.

He needs to shoulder some responsibility, change tactics, there’s no way for sugar coating it but if we don’t score more goals we will not go up. 
I was expecting a response after the dross of Hull on Tuesday but I think it’s pretty evident that we’re a long way from Leeds’ and Leicester’s level.

For me the priority is sorting the horrific defending out - the last 3 or so weeks it's been so bad. Back to September levels. There was even a moment yesterday where Millwall had 6 on 3, that should never happen in professional football.

We scored against Bristol City, Hull and Millwall - better defending in all 3 and the scene is different, changes the whole mood as well. We've been playing catchup in every game since Huddersfield because of our shit defending.

We will always score goals, but something has gone to the shit with the defensive structure. (cue Downes)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Change tactics and score more goals or we won't be as good as Leeds who have scored less goals than us. Cool.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

So? Find me a manager who isn't far too emotional? Emotional managers are bred in this country, the fanbase, the game, the culture, they all crave it, it's all part of the melo drama, if you're not emotional you get eaten up by it all and become irrelevant. Please name me a relevant manager who isn't a petty fuck when he's lost a game or two. 

Honestly, the desperation on here from those who doubted him at the start is so obvious it's incredible. Starved for months because it's been going well but absolutely ravenous when a defeat is put in front of you. Can't blame you really. 

Doesn't really excuse a lack of sportsmanship though does it? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Doesn't really excuse a lack of sportsmanship though does it? 

If you want to isolate and define "sportsmanship" by the all important handshake at the end of the game, then no, you're right. The wanker.

No point arguing with Fabrice, he'd be getting behind the return of Jermaine Wright if we signed him tomorrow to play as CB.

There's nothing wrong with emotion in football, in fact it's critical - but it's how you handle it and contain it, Martin doesn't seem to be able to contain his emotion and is the type who becomes very spikey and incredibly defensive when things don't go to plan. He's not a good enough manager to be like that IMO.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

If you want to isolate and define "sportsmanship" by the all important handshake at the end of the game, then no, you're right. The wanker.

Oh well, guess its just a matter of opinon. Whenever I played, school, Tyro League and beyond it was drummed into us that we shake hands at the end of the game. No matter what went on during the 90 minutes.

• Like 1

Be successful and be as petty as you like. Klopp is a petty twat but he’s also won the PL and CL. Refusing to shake the hand of the Milwall GK after a 1-2 defeat in the second division when you’ve got absolutely no pedigree at all is just childish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

No point arguing with Fabrice, he'd be getting behind the return of Jermaine Wright if we signed him tomorrow to play as CB.

There's nothing wrong with emotion in football, in fact it's critical - but it's how you handle it and contain it, Martin doesn't seem to be able to contain his emotion and is the type who becomes very spikey and incredibly defensive when things don't go to plan. He's not a good enough manager to be like that IMO.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It was childish. You may be ok with that but I’m not.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Oh well, guess its just a matter of opinon. Whenever I played, school, Tyro League and beyond it was drummed into us that we shake hands at the end of the game. No matter what went on during the 90 minutes.

Just for full clarity, maybe it would have been nice if he shook his hand, despite the fact he was timewasting all game, we all screamed at him ourselves, it's 30 seconds after a whistle was blown so all frustration we had should be put aside immediately, and even if the said goalkeeper is making a beeline at him which a grin on his face. The point I'm making is a) it doesn't matter and b) it's only being highlighted because we lost a couple of games and you're all desperate to have a pop at the bloke for some weird reason. I suspect he hasn't shook the hands of every goalkeeper we've played this year but I'm sure there is a list somewhere on here that one of you has compiled because his "sportsmanship" has always been so important. 

Heck, he even had a full on row with Lumley last season and he signed him a few months later. It happens and it's not a big deal until we've lost a game and it's caught on camera.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Be successful and be as petty as you like. Klopp is a petty twat but he’s also won the PL and CL. Refusing to shake the hand of the Milwall GK after a 1-2 defeat in the second division when you’ve got absolutely no pedigree at all is just childish. 

Why does everything have to be so outcome based?

• Like 2

The pressure is on. Let’s see how he deals with it.

If we go up which we clearly can, does he have the swede to make us a successful Premiership team. 

The Leeds v Leicester game does make me question his management. 

A great run was fantastic, it’s how we then deal with this back end of the season. 

Millwall were woeful, that doesn’t bode well for us at the moment. 

Fuck me, if we beat Liverpool this week and Klopp refuses to shake our players hand this forum would be in meltdown. If Nathan Jones had done that, they’d be a 10 page thread about it, with the people defending Lego being the first complaining about it. Our noddy supporters are crying about a keeper wasting time, dear god. As if our players never do that. Take your red and white specs off, he was wrong. Hopefully he regrets it.  End of. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, if we beat Liverpool this week and Klopp refuses to shake our players hand this forum would be in meltdown. If Nathan Jones had done that, they’d be a 10 page thread about it, with the people defending Lego being the first complaining about it. Our noddy supporters are crying about a keeper wasting time, dear god. As if our players never do that. Take your red and white specs off, he was wrong. Hopefully he regrets it.  End of. 

I'm not sure why anyone is talking about this when the hot topic should be about RMs inability to address specific weaknesses that have crept back into the team - i.e. being far too vulnerable on the break, lacking urgency with the ball, central midfield being immobile and poor against the ball and an astonishing inability to turn dominance into goals 

Edited by StrangelyBrown
  • Like 11

18 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He won’t regret it. He has no connections to the current world. No troubles, no doubts, no feelings; just Zen, as Buddha taught him. 

Edited by SotonianWill

18 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Who fucking cares

We have a manager that hates losing. Good.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I'm not sure why anyone is talking about this when the hot topic should be about RMs inability to address specific weaknesses that have crept back into the team - i.e. being far too vulnerable on the break, lacking urgency with the ball, central midfield being immobile and poor against the ball and an astonishing inability to turn dominance into goals 

How is he to address the obvious fact that the squad is not good enough for the automatic promotion places

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

You couldn't tell from the last 20 minutes on Saturday. No passion, no drive, no idea.

Exactly. 

There’s a world of difference between hating losing & being a bad loser with no class. I’m sure Bobby Robson hated losing as much as Lego head, but I’ll bet my life he’d shake an opposing players hand. It’s incredibly rare for managers to not do so. People who actually despise losing always seem to shake opposing players hands. Some mangers will kick their granny to get a win, but they’d still shake hands with her at the end.

Just shows that for all his David Brent like pony, he can’t handle a little bit of pressure. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

There’s a world of difference between hating losing & bring a bad loser with no class. I’m sure Bobby Robson hated losing as much as Lego head, but I’ll bet my life he’d shake an opposing players hand. It’s incredibly rare for managers to not do so. People who actually despise losing always seem to shake opposing players hands. Just shows that got all his David Brent like pony, he can’t handle a little bit of pressure. 

Has there ever been a Southampton manager who you have liked? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

We have a manager that hates losing. Good.

Well done our recruitment team for avoiding all those hundreds of professional football managers who aren't really that fussed about losing.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

There’s a world of difference between hating losing & being a bad loser with no class. I’m sure Bobby Robson hated losing as much as Lego head, but I’ll bet my life he’d shake an opposing players hand. It’s incredibly rare for managers to not do so. People who actually despise losing always seem to shake opposing players hands. Some mangers will kick their granny to get a win, but they’d still shake hands with her at the end.

Just shows that for all his David Brent like pony, he can’t handle a little bit of pressure. 

Are you giving inspirational lectures here about class in the same sentence as the classy name calling for RM that is your hallmark?
Can’t handle a little bit of pressure? It’s actually more supporters like you with your overreaction that cannot handle it. Start of season you’d have hung drawn and quartered him, then you had to stfu during the record run but now you are back giving lectures about class and handling pressure. Too funny. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It's only a handshake, stop being such a pussy. I like the fact that he fucking hates losing.

Bloody snowflakes.

• Like 10

On 25/02/2024 at 13:32, LGTL said:

Didn't Arsne Wenger refuse to shake hands with someone?

Watching Burnley over the weekend, well, that's us basically. And that's what is going to happen if or when we go up. 

Just wondering what the point is?

People who say they love the EPL (as a Saints fan) are basically there to watch the big clubs, aren't they? There is going to be nothing enjoyable about going up and thinking this kind of football is going to have any effect. 

I like Martin and if he's happy to stay for the next few years in the EFL, and gives us some entertaining football i.e. Swansea first half, some bat shot crazy football like the Huddersfield game and okay, we'll have some shit, like Saturday, well, all in all, I'd take that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Noodles34 said:

He didn't see him

He was too busy trying to do up his coat.

I'm with Sir Alf on this, the opposition has to earn the respect of a handshake, you don't just give them out to any old fuckwit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

Calls for a show of class from the manager, whilst simultaneously calling him Lego head at every opportunity. Makes sense.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I like the fact that he fucking hates losing.

It's a shame Neil Harris fucking hates losing even more, he's done Russell over twice in one season no bother.

Is that how it works?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

I'm with Sir Alf on this, the opposition has to earn the respect of a handshake, you don't just give them out to any old fuckwit.

This is what SAF said  about shaking hands with Rafa “ Normally we shake hands. I was waiting to shake hands because I have education”

About Rio Ferdinand after John Terry had allegedly racially abused his brother “ Rio has been fighting racism for many years and the lad must rise above it. It doesn't detract from anything to shake John Terry's hand.”. 

About facing  Suarez after he’s racially abused a Utd player. “It is nothing to be ashamed of. There is not a problem shaking hands.”

Thats a bloke who hated losing. 

Mind you, he’d probably change his tune if he’d been subjected to a second division keeper time wasting. 😂😂

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

Watching Burnley over the weekend, well, that's us basically. And that's what is going to happen if or when we go up. 

Just wondering what the point is?

People who say they love the EPL (as a Saints fan) are basically there to watch the big clubs, aren't they? There is going to be nothing enjoyable about going up and thinking this kind of football is going to have any effect. 

I like Martin and if he's happy to stay for the next few years in the EFL, and gives us some entertaining football i.e. Swansea first half, some bat shot crazy football like the Huddersfield game and okay, we'll have some shit, like Saturday, well, all in all, I'd take that. 

I agree that I much prefer the championship but a lot of that is because, right now, we've got better resources than every club except possibly Leicester and Leeds (you could debate for years the various merits of us versus them).  The Championship is more of a meritocracy than the Premier League but not by much.  Don't go up this season and we're probably Norwich or WBA level next season, and bloody Stoke in a few years time.  I'm not going to enjoy that quite so much.

• Like 2

Honestly, I hate to see it. Do you ever earn the right to be petulant? If, as some say, you must earn your respect, Russell certainly lost some acting the way he did when he had the chance to show a bit of grace.

When teams time waste, the only one to point the finger at is the referee allowing it to happen. Not only that, Goalkeepers have been wasting time against us all season. The only difference compared to when Huddersfield did it for instance is that this time we lost. "Hating to lose" is not justification for refusing to shake your opponents hand.

Let's suppose he decided, for some reason, that this was the game he was going to snub the goalkeeper for wasting time and it had nothing to do with anything else. We're not exactly squeaky clean ourselves. I'm sure other managers weren't keen on our cheating, Edozie and Mara constant diving for instance but the other teams managers still led by example and shook their hand's at the end.

Lastly, we're operating in a different stratosphere to Millwall financially. Once things have been made fair for clubs off the pitch, then maybe we have a right to complain about shithousery and time wasting on it.  It was only last season we encouraged it when we went away to the top sides in the Prem. Until then, we deal with it and realise we started Saturdays game with all the advantages. Russell needs to get his head out his arse.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 5

On 25/02/2024 at 13:15, Fabrice29 said:

You lose a couple of games and everything you do is evidence you're a prick. Including telling a goalkeeper to fuck off, the same goalkeeper your fanbase spent 90 minutes telling to fuck off. That's the game.

I wonder if the reaction would be the same if Bobby Robson had refused to shake Maradona's hand after the infamous game (no idea if he did or not)

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If it’s only a handshake then why refuse to give it?

Who cares. I would have shook his hand but everyone is different. It’s certainly not worth crying over.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Who cares. I would have shook his hand but everyone is different. It’s certainly not worth crying over.

Depends on how he approached it. If he'd come up and said "Hey, really sorry, I had to do what I had to do to make sure my team won, it was nothing personal" then I probably would. But if he just came up and arrogantly put his hand out after that shameful cheating then **** him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This is what SAF said  about shaking hands with Rafa “ Normally we shake hands. I was waiting to shake hands because I have education”

About Rio Ferdinand after John Terry had allegedly racially abused his brother “ Rio has been fighting racism for many years and the lad must rise above it. It doesn't detract from anything to shake John Terry's hand.”. 

About facing  Suarez after he’s racially abused a Utd player. “It is nothing to be ashamed of. There is not a problem shaking hands.”

Thats a bloke who hated losing. 

Mind you, he’d probably change his tune if he’d been subjected to a second division keeper time wasting. 😂😂

@Lord Duckhunterwhere do you get the inspiration for your ( oh so classy ) name calling of Saints Manager?

You will not be surprised to know that your obvious expertise and new found interest on the topic of our Manager’s “ class” is a matter of some hilarity on forum. 

The banal and sadly unimaginative attempts to belittle RM that you engage in are, frankly, not all that good. 

We get that you hate him, hate his football, always have. But please save yourself the bother of banging on about his “class” as a proxy for your issue with him as if you are the paradigm of classy behaviour on this forum. The jokes worn thin. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

@Lord Duckhunterwhere do you get the inspiration for your ( oh so classy ) name calling of Saints Manager?

You will not be surprised to know that your obvious expertise and new found interest on the topic of our Manager’s “ class” is a matter of some hilarity on forum. 

The banal and sadly unimaginative attempts to belittle RM that you engage in are, frankly, not all that good. 

We get that you hate him, hate his football, always have. But please save yourself the bother of banging on about his “class” as a proxy for your issue with him as if you are the paradigm of classy behaviour on this forum. The jokes worn thin. 

The first time he called Russell "lego head" it was faintly amusing. To continue with it is just pathetic. 

Duckie was nowhere to be seen on this forum during the 25 match run. Now all of a sudden he is all over this place like a skate. You don't suppose do you.....? 

• Like 5