Russell Martin

LegalEagle

10 minutes ago, Edmonton Saint said:

Martin grows ever more deluded. If Jack Stephens is the answer, then I don’t ever want to know the question .

Who can he rely on to organise, do his job, get stuck in, lead, and play like he gives a fuck? Look at the teams who've done a job on us recently. They've been full of players who do that. 

• Like 3

Very good manager at Championship, L1 level. 

I think we all knew that he can’t at the moment do a premier league job. 

That unfortunately is the difference between us going up or just staying where we are. 

Just a very good Championship manager unfortunately for us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

That unfortunately is the difference between us going up or just staying where we are. 

This would be much more alarming if we, ourselves, were a premier league job.

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

I’m not a hater but explain those tactics and team selection and changes? Baffling at times we had Aribo at right back! THB has been our best defender yet gets pushed to RB surely even you can see why some are questioning him?

RM literally said yesterday he isn't going to overcomplicate things from now on.... Then proceeds to massively overcomplicate everything today. It was baffling. 

• Like 2

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

RM literally said yesterday he isn't going to overcomplicate things from now on.... Then proceeds to massively overcomplicate everything today. It was baffling. 

We then take off our goal scorer from midweek. Our goal scorer today to play midget Armstrong against a huge defence when we needed a goal it should have been as well as .

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Compare and contrast the last 10 minutes of this match with the last 10 minutes of Leeds v Leicester last night.

I think that's what disappointed me the most, not the goals we let in, but the genuine lack of drive, effort, energy in those final parts of the game. We just seemed to accept defeat and I've not seen us do that before.

Against Huddersfield we just kept going, even in games which were somewhat tight at the end (Blackburn at home springs to mind) we kept going until the death and hit another 2 or 3 goals. We've got late winners at Hull and Millwall etc because we've kept going until the end.

But today felt like the first time we didn't do that, there was no drive from us. Just aimless passing with no idea of where to put it. A really, really concerning 2nd half for me - if we'd peppered them and their GK had a worldie I'd probably feel a bit different, but it wasn't like that at all - yet we've got Martin coming out saying we played really well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because he's not looking forward to it!

Presumably because he knows as well as we do that we'll be slaughtered sticking to the same tactics.

You’re pessimistic here Weston if you think Russ will stick to the same tactics. Put a fiver on Ryan Manning as our target man. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that's what disappointed me the most, not the goals we let in, but the genuine lack of drive, effort, energy in those final parts of the game. We just seemed to accept defeat and I've not seen us do that before.

Against Huddersfield we just kept going, even in games which were somewhat tight at the end (Blackburn at home springs to mind) we kept going until the death and hit another 2 or 3 goals. We've got late winners at Hull and Millwall etc because we've kept going until the end.

But today felt like the first time we didn't do that, there was no drive from us. Just aimless passing with no idea of where to put it. A really, really concerning 2nd half for me - if we'd peppered them and their GK had a worldie I'd probably feel a bit different, but it wasn't like that at all - yet we've got Martin coming out saying we played really well.

That was my feeling too. Start of the second half I was expecting another Huddersfield onslaught. Yet we just came out totally timid, happy time and time again to pass the ball sideways and backwards. They did a complete number on us by being nothing other than organised. It reminded me of a cup tie against a lower league team. They basically had two set piece chances and scored from the both. We had 13 corners and did nothing with them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Rosenior is pretty much a carbon copy of Russell in every aspect. Playing style, buzz-words, philosphy etc. 

Might as well keep Martin if Rosenior is the replacement.

Same with those suggesting Enzo when Leicester sack him.

2 hours ago, madge said:

Our iffy performances started around the same time that Stephens appeared back in the squad. Absolutely baffling to play him today, especially when it became very evident that we’d some creativity to unlock Millwall s 2 banks of five.

Comical. You know Stephens has been back in the squad since mid-November yeah? And was part of the XI who beat West Brom away (our only win and clean sheet recently), whilst playing no part in our recent defeats and leaky defence (before today) ... 

Talk about scapegoating. But then that's what I've come to expect from Saints fans.

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Players are knackered. That's why mistakes are creeping back in. Been saying it for a week or so, the amount of games, chopping and changing, no real rest has affected this lot. Don't ask me why, it just is. 

Leeds haven't had a problem. Quite the opposite in fact.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 8

If he doesn’t get us up this season he’s failed. Simple. Even if we get playoffs and go up then he’s only scraped it. 

If we don’t go up the difference in the team this year and next year will be stark, which makes it even more vital. 

Problem is, he seems to absolutely love himself. I can stand that when we’re winning, but when we’re in poor form and he’s doing things we all consider poor (team selection, tactics, interviews etc) it’s just that much more annoying. 

Hard to see how we get promoted from here 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Players are knackered. That's why mistakes are creeping back in. Been saying it for a week or so, the amount of games, chopping and changing, no real rest has affected this lot. Don't ask me why, it just is. 

Exactly.

Don’t change a winning team. Players never get tired if they’re winning all the time.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

Who would that be, Ipswich's? Certainly not our manager, he's a mediocre Championship manager at best.

5 hours ago, Edmonton Saint said:

This is from Alfie House on X

Asked Russell Martin about his tactical setup and whether they 'thought' rather than 'felt' again:

"It’s nothing to do with that. If people want to talk about all that stuff, it’s not that. We conceded two rubbish goals. I don't think there's a problem with the tactics but it's pointless. I always say if I feel I have got something wrong but you can't concede goals like that. This is what I felt today, the team needs Jack Stephens in it at the moment."

Martin grows ever more deluded. If Jack Stephens is the answer, then I don’t ever want to know the question .

We scored 1 goal vs a relegation threatened side at home. In all seriousness, I don't think Millwall could have asked for an easier game vs a side chasing automatics...simooy not good enough... Leeds would have absolutely murdered them! 

37 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Needs to look up "Brave" in dictionary and the nuance of someone saying, "wow that lineup is brave...". 

Complete mess today. Just pick best players possible in best position. No need to get all brave.

We failed today as although he'd beaten us with courage and being brave but forgot to tell us where the yellow brick road was

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Comical. You know Stephens has been back in the squad since mid-November yeah? And was part of the XI who beat West Brom away (our only win and clean sheet recently), whilst playing no part in our recent defeats and leaky defence (before today) ... 

Talk about scapegoating. But then that's what I've come to expect from Saints fans.

And agree with this. It's a little embarrassing to see posters blaming Stephens for today. I think it's debatable whether we should actually be playing him with kwp (at least until bree is back fit) in most games atm. Would make the defence a bit more stable and simplify the tactics. Plus Manning can be an absolute liability at times. It's that or Meghoma plays at LB for me. 

Its been said to death, but the reason we're losing imo is because Martin has developed an allergy to a balanced and settled midfield 3. We need a holding man, and we need a all around cm imo... We can't keep going every game with smallbone as the holding man, and then effectivley 2 CAMs... Its completely imbalanced both in and out of possession. Add to that the frankly constant level of changes between the two other midfielders (smallbone is at least constant) and the 3 attackers, and is it really any wonder we've lost all flow and tempo with our attacking play? 

I don't think he knows what best side is at all atm, and the side feels like very unsettled - I wouldn't bet significantly on being able to name our starting 11 in a given week out it that way!... And opposed to the classic "if it ain't broke don't fix it", he's gone full Rasmus recently!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Said at start of the season that we were light at DM. Basically it’s Downes or very inexperienced Charles. Smallbone is not a DM and never will be.  Downes now injured Charles apparently not trusted = chickens roosting.

Had a chance to sort it in January and we get in 2 more AM’s. For me that is his/our biggest failing.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's how the Welsh Wonder started to melt down - that one was a lot quicker though.

Every manager is the same. Charming when winning and snarky when losing. 

I agree with the above. It’s fucking ridiculous that he keeps trying smallbone as a DM. 

IT DOESNT FUCKING WORK RUSS.

We are a team of pansies without Downes. We were so easy to bully and play against yesterday. 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Needs to look up "Brave" in dictionary and the nuance of someone saying, "wow that lineup is brave...". 

Complete mess today. Just pick best players possible in best position. No need to get all brave.

I see use of the word “brave” as complete deflection by Russell. What he does is claims to take responsibility for the poor performance's,  but then by implication, blames the players in intimating that all would have been ok if they were “brave”, presumably in carrying out his instructions, hence, their fault, not mine.

• Like 4

I really hoped after both the Hull game and yesterday RM would take full responsibility like he did after the Bristol City game, but no, he's prattling on about mistakes not tactics blah blah blah. Well Russell old son, there weren't too many mistakes when we went on that run and the team virtually picked itself without too much tinkering!

The decision to play our most consistent player out of position (his preferred position before anyone chips in) at Left back yesterday was a case in point. Now even RM realised that was wrong when he changed it at half time, but why do it in the first place ? To get Stephens in ? But he played on the left at WBA so......

The last two games stink of a manger who thinks he's cracked it and can be as clever as he wants, so there ! Its a trait Ralph had and this one has in spades.  

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3

Let's be honest, if we got promoted he'd be getting fired in November.

So by being a bit shit now, he gets to keep his job until the end of next season. What kind of idiot would try and get fired during a cost of living crisis, not our Russ....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He seems to have gone a bit weird. Strange selections, lots of rotation, prickly with questions.

He did that back in September. Did not appreciate his tone with our Adam when being interviewed.

Teams often mirror their manager, and he's lost all of his composure in recent weeks and has got way too emotional. Funnily enough, so has the team.

He needs to get his head back on his shoulders, he's another one of these all in emotionally charged young managers who lose their heads when things go wrong. There's no problem being emotional, but you've got to learn to keep it in check and not allow it to fall out across everyone else. Even Thornton got a yellow on the bench yesterday, they're all mirroring the same.

We need to regain our composure as players and manager/coaches asap. It's that sort of shit which scares the fuck out of me for the emotionally charged playoffs.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not linked with the fans, but I noticed yesterday he didn't shake hands with some of the Millwall players. 

Not doing himself any favours, very petty. He may not like how they played but the fact of the matter is they took the 3 points so a quick hand shake was all that was required rather than a juvenile snub. None of us like losing but he should be big enough to take it on the chin. 

Snubbing the handshake is not a good look. Yes their keeper was time wasting but 90% of the teams in the league do that. 

I'm sure he'd have shaken his hand if we'd come back and won.

RM does come across as a bit petty and a sore loser at times. 

“I know everyone will go there frustrated. We need to use that in the right way. I had an interesting conversation with the supporter behind the dugout. He started screaming at me that it was on me. ''

Who do we think that was? I'm going Kaiser Soze

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I noticed that he doesn’t come over and applaud the fans when we lose.

He used to. He even did a Boro which was our lowest point up to yesterday. 

Edited by Dr Who?
Grammar.