Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, Forkbeard said:

playing others out of position and then whining about how his squad isn't good enough.

Yeah I’ve noticed that as well, stupid experiments like Adam Armstrong and Ryan Fraser in CM. 

He’s moaned a few times about the fact we’ve not replaced Tella - whilst having a £22m winger on the bench who’s not getting a sniff. 

my biggest gripe is how sensitive he is. Any form of criticism from fans or the media and he goes on the defensive in a pretty passive aggressive manner. 

• Like 1

Leicester are a decent side, who had something to play for. But that’s not the issue. 

1. He promised us a response from the Cardiff farce & yet delivered a truly horrific bottle job. 

2. We’d already been dicked by them already this season, but turned up and played exactly the same tactics. :mcinnes:. What sort of manager does that, either an egomaniac who thinks his style is never wrong, or a fucking halfwit.

If by some miracle we faced Leicester in the play off final, would Lego tweak his tactics, would he take account of the 2 drubbings we’d got off them. Set us up to counter their game, make plans for their danger men, look to exploit their weaker ones. No, I bet he would fucking send them out to play the same way, with a shoehorn her and there, but the same possession based RussBall. That’s not proper management, that’s a fucking ego out of control. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Interesting to see what Swansea fans had to say just over a year ago:

"Martin is broken, players broken and fans broken."

"He may have the support of the owners but with very little support from the fanbase it's creating a toxic atmosphere & it'll only get worse.
I'll be renewing my season ticket but in the hope of seeing a different manager in charge next season. This shambles has to end."

Forum | Russell Martin reassured he has the full support of the majority owners at Swans by SwansIndependent | Swansea Independent (fansnetwork.co.uk)

Which many of us saw as the problem right from the beginning.

And yet Ankersen and his puppet Wilcox thought he would be the perfect fit for us, with Ankersen scouting him for almost half a year. Just like he did with N. Bloody Jones, again someone most of us could see was a lunatic choice.

The incompetence and stupidity is breathtaking, and Dragan continues to do doing nothing as Ankersen pisses away literally hundreds of millions of his money on relegation, along with appalling choices of management and players, turning us into another Swansea and Stoke, or very possibly worse.

• Like 7

On 14/01/2024 at 09:41, gio1saints said:

We’ve stopped playing ponderous football because the players have started to master the skill and the thinking speed required to play the PB game. 

As an analogy that may make it clearer: 

It used to take me a while to knock up a spaghetti carbonara (what should be a relatively quick to make dish) - I’d leave bits of egg shells in, splash grated parmigiana over the floor, bits of guanciale would be of varying sizes, pasta water would boil over - any number of f@ck ups or inefficiencies evident in my kitchen work basically - but nowadays I can do it fast and do it well.

I did not change the ingredients or the order in which things were done, the cooking times or anything. I just became efficient and proficient at doing it so it looks like Im doing something extra cheffy. 🧑‍🍳😇

How are the spaghetti carbonaras these days @gio1saints

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Forest Green  bottom of league 2 as well, the Vegans not really doing their cause any favours are they. 

If this is another dig at our manager then you need to check your facts. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 19/05/2023 at 13:19, Nordic Saint said:

Good Manager vs Bad Manager

The passing around at the back left Swansea with the 4th worst defensive record in the Championship this season. The other 3 teams were relegated.

Oof, that's textbook. Two goals from players ghosting in unmarked at the far post, one from a giveaway playing out from the back, and one where a static defense are deceived by the simplest movement from the CF.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

What’s this got do with our manager?

Forest Green are a club run by Vegans. Russell Martin is (supposedly) a vegan. Both are shit.

it was all in the original post, its not too difficult to understand, buddy. 

• Haha 6

Guardiola's tactics work because he handpicks the best teams in a country - Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester City. He has admitted himself that he couldn't replicate Bielsa's achievements at Leeds. That would be because his tactics do not work with lesser players. But, Russell Martin disagrees.

So much criticism of our possession football being the problem…

It really isn’t our biggest issue though admittedly we are undone by teams who press us to some degree…

The elephant in the room is our defence is appalling, just really really terrible. All five of them were total crap against Leicester.

Martin cannot coach defenders that is the huge issue and he has obviously never coached defenders adequately.

No matter who we buy, who we have in goal and if Stephens plays or not if you can’t coach defending you ain’t gonna win anything!

Martin cannot coach defending and that is the issue. We either need to replace Martin or bring in a very good assertive defensive coach to show him how to get this right.

if we don’t do one or both we are fucked! 

Edited by captainchris

7 hours ago, Dman said:

Forest Green are a club run by Vegans. Russell Martin is (supposedly) a vegan. Both are shit.

it was all in the original post, its not too difficult to understand, buddy. 

He’s not a vegan. Another fail, buddy

Edited by notnowcato

6 hours ago, captainchris said:

It really isn’t our biggest issue though admittedly we are undone by teams who press us to some degree…

The elephant in the room is our defence is appalling, just really really terrible. All five of them were total crap against Leicester.

Martin cannot coach defenders that is the huge issue and he has obviously never coached defenders adequately.

No matter who we buy, who we have in goal and if Stephens plays or not if you can’t coach defending you ain’t gonna win anything!

Martin cannot coach defending and that is the issue. We either need to replace Martin or bring in a very good assertive defensive coach to show him how to get this right.

You have heard of Colin Caulderwood, right? When Colin joined and there was an improvement in defence he was praised, possibly rightly so. Now we’ve shipped a few goals it’s all on Russell. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

He’s not a vegan. Another fail, buddy

Source?

Because literally the whole of the innernetz disagrees with you.

This one from the Athletic for example https://theathletic.com/4551898/2023/06/26/southampton-manager-russell-martin-playbook/

Russell Martin will not change for anybody.

A vegan, a Buddhist and an advocate of sustainability, 

There are numerous other articles if you search 'Russell Martin vegan'.

38 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Source?

Because literally the whole of the innernetz disagrees with you.

This one from the Athletic for example https://theathletic.com/4551898/2023/06/26/southampton-manager-russell-martin-playbook/

There are numerous other articles if you search 'Russell Martin vegan'.

He had a vegan diet whilst recovering from ulcerative colitis. This may shock you Weston but the internet very quickly becomes out of date and (are you sitting down?) it’s not always 100% correct. 

Russell did a podcast, I think with one of his brothers, it was posted on here, where he talked diet and how he now adopts a varied, moderated diet or words to that effect. 

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

You have heard of Colin Caulderwood, right? When Colin joined and there was an improvement in defence he was praised, possibly rightly so. Now we’ve shipped a few goals it’s all on Russell. 

I've been thinking about Calderwood. You're right, when he originally came in we looked really good defensively. At the time, we also had a set piece coach (Andreas Georgison?) He left in mid-January, I think, and Calderwood took on his responsibilities as well. I just wonder if, defensively, there isn't the focus in training that there was previously as the dedicated coach is now taking on extra responsibilities in managing the set pieces as well (though what they train on them, I don't know ... we're shite at them). 

Just a thought. 

Edited by SaintNewForest

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah it is.  When we weren’t shipping goals we didn’t play the stupid inverted full-backs.  So yes, it’s all on Russell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, captainchris said:

This is the thing. I was looking yesterday and in the last 10 seasons, only three teams have got in the playoffs conceding the amount of goals we have. Only one of those won promotion too, Aston Villa.

I'm still onboard with RM but it's wavering. Even if we don't go up this season (I cant see it as we seemingly can't handle it when the pressure is really on) I'd give him till Xmas and see the lay of the land.

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 1

Hi all of you now in SF heaven.

Some of you are getting your kicks out of Russell and team bashing. Better than any Pompey fans you lot are at it. Egging each other on with who can say the nastiest things. 

Last time I checked we are fourth in this league. playoff certainties. Have played some great stuff all season mixed in with our usual saintly fuck ups. Still can go up with a few wins. Not bottom three and abject failures all season like last year. 

This lynch mob like anger against him - and team - and any who stand in your way defending them is classic bully behaviour. 

If you want to know the real reason some of our coastal neighbours call us  “scum” sone of you need only reread the wretchedly vile abuse some of you post about Russell Martin, his team, our club, on here.

I will be there on Saturday to support like all season. Thankfully many of you will not but there will still be some who feel negative support is what’s best to get us through the play offs. 

For the rest - and it’s the vast majority we will be giving him and team max support to regain some confidence and set us up for play offs.

If you are coming to SMS Saturday to boo hiss shout abuse at Russell and the team etc then my advice is stay at home. We don’t need you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Some of you are getting your kicks out of Russell and team bashing. Better than any Pompey fans you lot are at it. Egging each other on with who can say the nastiest things. 

Last time I checked we are fourth in this league. playoff certainties. Have played some great stuff all season mixed in with our usual saintly fuck ups. Still can go up with a few wins. Not bottom three and abject failures all season like last year. 

This lynch mob like anger against him - and team - and any who stand in your way defending them is classic bully behaviour. 

If you want to know the real reason some of our coastal neighbours call us  “scum” sone of you need only reread the wretchedly vile abuse some of you post about Russell Martin, his team, our club, on here.

I will be there on Saturday to support like all season. Thankfully many of you will not but there will still be some who feel negative support is what’s best to get us through the play offs. 

For the rest - and it’s the vast majority we will be giving him and team max support to regain some confidence and set us up for play offs.

If you are coming to SMS Saturday to boo hiss shout abuse at Russell and the team etc then my advice is stay at home. We don’t need you. 

Lets remember how full of it you were during the unbeaten run and how we should enjoy it and how amazing it was. I replied at the time saying it was completely meaningless if we don't go up. I'd say it's more likely than not now that we don't get promoted. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

#textbook

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Remind us again in what way are you related to RM...... Mum? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Russ mate can you please tell our defenders to try and stop crosses coming into the box. 

Also can you stop playing lightweight midfields. Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Yeah it is.  When we weren’t shipping goals we didn’t play the stupid inverted full-backs.  So yes, it’s all on Russell.

You’re watching a very different game to me then. 

• Haha 1

Gotta love gio and his superiority complex, the sanctimonious pillock, yet again giving it the “I think I speak for all Saints fans when I say…………” over-written waffle.

Absolute prat.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lets remember how full of it you were during the unbeaten run and how we should enjoy it and how amazing it was. I replied at the time saying it was completely meaningless if we don't go up. I'd say it's more likely than not now that we don't get promoted. 

Why not enjoy and celebrate success? The journey is never meaningless, it’s everything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Gotta love gio and his superiority complex, the sanctimonious pillock, yet again giving it the “I think I speak for all Saints fans when I say…………” over-written waffle.

Absolute prat.

I still can't figure out if he's blissfully ignorant as to how pompous he comes across or if he's just one of those 'performance artists' that we see on here from time-to-time... either way, its splendid entertainment value...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Why not enjoy and celebrate success? The journey is never meaningless, it’s everything. 

Success is getting promoted. You can enjoy some of the journey but rather like when we got promoted in league one, no one gives a shiny shite about Huddersfield going on that mega unbeaten run over that period. What matters was that we got promoted. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

A few goals? We've got one of the worst defensive records in the league, only 7 teams have conceded more than we have. For a back four that boasts KWP, THB and Bednarek that's shocking. These are good players, especially for the Championship, they should not be shipping the amount of goals we do. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Fuck off you pious cunt.  When have the team or manager been booed this season.  I’ve been to every game and I haven’t heard it.  So take your bullshit narrative and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

Twot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

47 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fuck off you pious cunt.  When have the team or manager been booed this season.  I’ve been to every game and I haven’t heard it.  So take your bullshit narrative and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

Twot.

At very least after Rotherham at home. It wasn't subtle; Downes was quoted fairly extensively on it.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23841575.downes-claims-southampton-didnt-deserve-boos-rotherham-draw/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I still can't figure out if he's blissfully ignorant as to how pompous he comes across or if he's just one of those 'performance artists' that we see on here from time-to-time... either way, its splendid entertainment value...

He does have a point though, this place does tend to be more negative than the fans that are actually in the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, notnowcato said:

He had a vegan diet whilst recovering from ulcerative colitis. This may shock you Weston but the internet very quickly becomes out of date and (are you sitting down?) it’s not always 100% correct. 

Russell did a podcast, I think with one of his brothers, it was posted on here, where he talked diet and how he now adopts a varied, moderated diet or words to that effect. 

At least hes made one sensible, correct decision this season then 👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

There is a difference? 😄

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I'm going to boo him (Martin) all game and theres nothing you can do about it. 

I might even ask if hes still got ulcerative colitis, as all hes produced this season is a load of shit and call him a Vegan tosspot whilst I'm at it... Hows that for being nasty

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm going to boo him (Martin) all game and theres nothing you can do about it. 

I might even ask if hes still got ulcerative colitis, as all hes produced this season is a load of shit and call him a Vegan tosspot whilst I'm at it... Hows that for being nasty

We should all wave packets of pork scratching at him, that'll learn him

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Twot.

In all seriousness, there has been multiple times this season when the side have been booed / jeered. Some serious rose tinted glasses or wilful ignorance going on by anyone that doesn't acknowledge it.

And its little different to last season tbh, we had a young an inexperienced side under Ralph, lots of chat about giving them time over pre season, and then the first game at SMS there was booing and jeering. Watford(h) a couple of weeks ago was another good example - as soon as they equalised the ground was silent... the league 1/champ/early prem crowds from our previous rise would have immediatley cheered the side on.. and then in was a must win game, at home, where we were chasing a winner, we had some fans leaving early, and jeering and boos from the stands because the side wasn't "hoofing" it forwards and was instead playing our current patient style - which ultimately allowed us to build pressure and get the goal. It gets forgotten about because we scored a last minute winner, but the toxicity and shit support is always there, right beneath the surface. Long gone are the days of the league 1 crowds cheering us up the leagues and responding to goals against by immediatley roaring the team on...

Middlesbrough game recently (another must win), the fans kicked off chanting "you don't know what you're doing" at one of the stewards and then booing, happened simultaneously to a substitute coming on and visibly knocked the side when we needed to get a winner - our home support is toxic. The team are sensitive to it. And its been called out and/or alluded to numerous times by the manager/players over the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He does have a point though, this place does tend to be more negative than the fans that are actually in the stadium.

Having a point and not sounding pompous aren't mutually exclusive... ;)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, aintforever said:

This is genuinely true. 

Our fan base is actually very patient and class with the owners, players and the managers, generally. 

It’s not our fault they serve up shite performance after shite performance. It’s hilarious to call the discussions on here “bullying”. Considering the size of our club and budget compared to the rest of the division. 

The absolute helmets in charge get pretty much a free ride. Imagine if they were in charge at West Ham, Everton or somewhere. Rasmus would have been smashed up a long time ago 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

This is genuinely true. 

Our fan base is actually very patient and class with the owners, players and the managers, generally. 

It’s not our fault they serve up shite performance after shite performance. It’s hilarious to call the discussions on here “bullying”. Considering the size of our club and budget compared to the rest of the division. 

The absolute helmets in charge get pretty much a free ride. Imagine if they were in charge at West Ham, Everton or somewhere. Rasmus would have been smashed up a long time ago 

It’s not hostile and never really has been, but it is generally a very flat, moany place.

The home form for majority of the season has been very good (especially compared to last few years), but the ‘support’ has been pretty weak.

Playoff second leg, 20mins left, needing a goal to get to Wembley - crowds more likely to sit their grumbling then roaring the team on.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

In all seriousness, there has been multiple times this season when the side have been booed / jeered. Some serious rose tinted glasses or wilful ignorance going on by anyone that doesn't acknowledge it.

And its little different to last season tbh, we had a young an inexperienced side under Ralph, lots of chat about giving them time over pre season, and then the first game at SMS there was booing and jeering. Watford(h) a couple of weeks ago was another good example - as soon as they equalised the ground was silent... the league 1/champ/early prem crowds from our previous rise would have immediatley cheered the side on.. and then in was a must win game, at home, where we were chasing a winner, we had some fans leaving early, and jeering and boos from the stands because the side wasn't "hoofing" it forwards and was instead playing our current patient style - which ultimately allowed us to build pressure and get the goal. It gets forgotten about because we scored a last minute winner, but the toxicity and shit support is always there, right beneath the surface. Long gone are the days of the league 1 crowds cheering us up the leagues and responding to goals against by immediatley roaring the team on...

Middlesbrough game recently (another must win), the fans kicked off chanting "you don't know what you're doing" at one of the stewards and then booing, happened simultaneously to a substitute coming on and visibly knocked the side when we needed to get a winner - our home support is toxic. The team are sensitive to it. And its been called out and/or alluded to numerous times by the manager/players over the season.

If you think this season compares to last season you have lost the plot!

You think Martin gets the same reaction that Nathan Jones got ? Seriously?

Your bit about knocking the side is absolute rubbish it was 30 seconds aimed at the steward and clearly at them . We were absolute dog shit second half against Boro Martin did nothing but change personnel so how a 30 second booing could stop those poor loves earning massive money from playing better and not conceding the equaliser is pants!

I have travelled nearly 3k miles watching this season and the team gets great support given what is dished up at times.

• Like 4

I have mates who support Leeds and Leicester both have told me the atmosphere at times has been really bad. In fact on Tuesday one was telling me how toxic toward Maresco had been.

Just to add Mousinho down the road had to stop his social media early this season do to the unwashed having a go - we are not exclusive to booing and moaning when our team or manager makes wrong decisions we are not all gushing lickspittles

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We should all wave packets of pork scratching at him, that'll learn him

careful, that's probably considered a hate crime these days. 

Wouldn't want someone calling the grass, sorry supporters, line on you. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

If you think this season compares to last season you have lost the plot!

You think Martin gets the same reaction that Nathan Jones got ? Seriously?

Your bit about knocking the side is absolute rubbish it was 30 seconds aimed at the steward and clearly at them . We were absolute dog shit second half against Boro Martin did nothing but change personnel so how a 30 second booing could stop those poor loves earning massive money from playing better and not conceding the equaliser is pants!

I have travelled nearly 3k miles watching this season and the team gets great support given what is dished up at times.

Jones got shit from practically the first game. Fans weren't having him and never gave him a chance (not saying he was right for us btw). We're the performances we dished up against forest etc. any worse than some of what weve seen this season? Ipswich home, sunderland away, leicester home and away etc. 

Im not so sure. 

• Like 1