Russell Martin

LegalEagle

24 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Squad harmony and style of play are miles better than last season. Those were two massive negatives for us last year. Promotion was number 1 aim, not winning the league and like I've said the levels of the Leicester squad and I'd argue Leeds shows winning the league was always going to be unrealistic if they sorted themselves out. We'll have 3 games at the end of the season to reach the target. 

I’ll save you the Drama… we won’t. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I’ll save you the Drama… we won’t. 

Maybe we will, maybe we won't. If we don't though then I hope nobody on here has a meltdown when certain players who have consistently lost games for us and both relegated us and failed to get us promoted leave.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

He literally called the defending pathetic which is pretty much what everyone else thinks, no? He's also called out doing nothing with the ball. If you're worried about that then please don't read back your own comments on here.

He also said we broke their press and created some good openings. Thats generous to say the least

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

He literally called the defending pathetic which is pretty much what everyone else thinks, no? He's also called out doing nothing with the ball. If you're worried about that then please don't read back your own comments on here.

He said we had “brilliant “ build up play. He claimed he saw 2 aggressive teams. He’s fucking deluded, I thought your posts were the most deluded thing I’d see tonight, but , he trumped you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Are you deaf? Why are you purposely ignoring what is in front of you?

He said, and I quote, ''I was really, really pleased with most of that game'' ''The first half was a really high level'' - what is he on about?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're on your own here I think.

I'd trade the amount of goals we've scored to have conceded less. To let in over 60 goals and be a promotion candidate does not compute, it's not compatible.

Absolutely. If any saints fan says that they were entertained tonight, or in the Ipswich game, or the countless other games where we shot ourselves in the foot because of RM's stupid tactics and game management, they're mental. 

Give me Puel esque football over this flouncy naive bollox every day of the week. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 8

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

Maybe we will, maybe we won't. If we don't though then I hope nobody on here has a meltdown when certain players who have consistently lost games for us and both relegated us and failed to get us promoted leave.

There’s no maybe about it, we won’t. We’re not good enough and average c.2 goals conceded a game. 

Goign up under this moron scares the life out of me more than the repercussions of not, if I’m being brutally honest. 

• Like 6

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

He sounds fucking broken. He cares, but he's not good enough and just generally deluded as to how football works.

At least he tried to better himself. He could have stayed  in Brighton & married a local Adult human 

• Haha 8

The build up was alright, we were fucking clueless when closing in on their box. 

Some really naive defending that Vardy exploited, particularly his movement that took both Jan and Taylor away and exposed Manning for their headed goal. 

Thought Che and Charles were the only players to come out with any credit from that shit show. 

Blue line, move on to Stoke. 

• Haha 3

He says on Solent that we don't have anyone who can do what Fatawu did tonight or what Summerville did yesterday. He says he's asked for something like that from the players.

The way we play doesn't lend itself to that, because we move the ball forward so slowly and so without purpose that 20/23 sides will have two banks of four in front of the winger. He's a walking oxymoron. Does he fully understand what he's trying to do with this system?

20/23 teams are more than happy to sit off, let us have the ball and take their chances on the break. A point home or away against us is like fucking Christmas to them, and some have even managed to take more off us.

Leeds and Leicester are in the top two because they actually use their quality relentlessly. They play on the front foot and put the other teams under, because they know they are better. 

It's just baffling that we're trying to play like a plucky underdog like he's still at MK Dons or Swansea. We'll be there soon enough if he sticks around.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Difference is that he is paid handsomely to do something about it and he has failed handsomely. Yet another fraud of a manager

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

There’s no maybe about it, we won’t. We’re not good enough and average c.2 goals conceded a game. 

Goign up under this moron scares the life out of me more than the repercussions of not, if I’m being brutally honest. 

He won't stay if we go up, but we won't go up. He needs to go whatever happens this season, but he's absolutely fucked what was a golden opportunity at promotion. Completely fucked it.

We need an experienced director of football who isn't a hipster, and a manager with a proven track record of promotion, not a proven track record of passing in stupid fucking triangles and wanting his keeper to be Franz Beckenbauer. 

The blokes an absolute fucking idiot. 

• Like 25

He says on Solent that we don't have anyone who can do what Fatawu did tonight or what Summerville did yesterday. He says he's asked for something like that from the players.

The way we play doesn't lend itself to that, because we move the ball forward so slowly and so without purpose that 20/23 sides will have two banks of four in front of the winger. He's a walking oxymoron. Does he fully understand what he's trying to do with this system?

20/23 teams are more than happy to sit off, let us have the ball and take their chances on the break. A point home or away against us is like fucking Christmas to them, and some have even managed to take more off us.

Leeds and Leicester are in the top two because they actually use their quality relentlessly. They play on the front foot and put the other teams under, because they know they are better. 

It's just baffling that we're trying to play like a plucky underdog like he's still at MK Dons or Swansea. We'll be there soon enough if he sticks around.

We had Fraser sat on the bench who is capable of that, so is Edozie and Brooks (as Brooks has shown), but they are coached to within an inch of their life to just pass the ball backwards without any urgency. It's no coincidence to me how much Brooks has gone into his shell, at Bournemouth (as recently as their FA Cup game) he was positive, quick, direct - but now, with us, he's the opposite of all of that. We've overcoached him.

• Like 8

Just now, S-Clarke said:

We had Fraser sat on the bench who is capable of that, so is Edozie and Brooks (as Brooks has shown), but they are coached to within an inch of their life to just pass the ball backwards without any urgency. It's no coincidence to me how much Brooks has gone into his shell, at Bournemouth (as recently as their FA Cup game) he was positive, quick, direct - but now, with us, he's the opposite of all of that. We've overcoached him.

I must admit, the casual nature of Brooks' general play is absolutely infuriating. I don't know if it's the languid brand of football or whether he couldn't give a fuck, but I think I'd much rather try and play Fraser into form for the last two (for the reasons you say).

• Like 2

I like Russell, he says the right things... but the reality is I can't see him succeeding as a manager. He can't set us up defensively, and that is what has cost us this season.

This may seem weird, but if we stay down I'd keep him, if we go up sack him and get someone in better from the off.

• Like 1

I must admit, the casual nature of Brooks' general play is absolutely infuriating. I don't know if it's the languid brand of football or whether he couldn't give a fuck, but I think I'd much rather try and play Fraser into form for the last two (for the reasons you say).

He is the sort of player who thrives in quick, 1 touch, tight spaces etc. He's not quick through pace, but he's a clever footballer - but by us slowing the game down so fucking much we don't get the best out of him, and it makes him look so languid like you say. 

It has taken some real skill to have made a player like Brooks like as bad as he has.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, egg said:

He won't stay if we go up, but we won't go up. He needs to go whatever happens this season, but he's absolutely fucked what was a golden opportunity at promotion. Completely fucked it.

We need an experienced director of football who isn't a hipster, and a manager with a proven track record of promotion, not a proven track record of passing in stupid fucking triangles and wanting his keeper to be Franz Beckenbauer. 

The blokes an absolute fucking idiot. 

Post of the week

• Like 1

We’d be better off without him in the fucking dugout. Stay at home Russ and let them do whatever they want, I guarantee you it won’t be any fucking worse. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

He is the sort of player who thrives in quick, 1 touch, tight spaces etc. He's not quick through pace, but he's a clever footballer - but by us slowing the game down so fucking much we don't get the best out of him, and it makes him look so languid like you say. 

It has taken some real skill to have made a player like Brooks like as bad as he has.

We've done the same with Alcarez.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I like Russell, he says the right things... but the reality is I can't see him succeeding as a manager. He can't set us up defensively, and that is what has cost us this season.

This may seem weird, but if we stay down I'd keep him, if we go up sack him and get someone in better from the off.

It does sound a tad weird actually 

• Like 2

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

I’m calling bingo on this.

an answer to a question from Alfie House

Russell Martin about Jack Stephens at full-time: "If Jack's playing tonight, we don't lose 5-0. My fault."

He said that? Fkin hell 😔

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That interview has worried the fuck out of me. That's a manager who is not seeing the same game as the fans and when that happens...there is only one result.

Exactly right. Watching it tonight it was very clear from the first minute that we were not at the races. It was his job to get across to the players early in the game that he was far from happy and to demand a marked upturn in energy, intent, drive, effort, concentration and yes, his favourite word, bravery. One of his big problems is the fact that he wants to be everybody's friend and is far too pally pally with the players. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Russell Martin about Jack Stephens at full-time: "If Jack's playing tonight, we don't lose 5-0. My fault."

I think we can almost guarantee that Jack is now a mainstay for all of our remaining games, barring injury. How he shoehorns him in is the question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He’s right. 

We’d have lost 6-0. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think we can almost guarantee that Jack is now a mainstay for all of our remaining games, barring injury. How he shoehorns him in is the question.

Might as well be cos he’ll be the mainstay next season as well, the poster boy a la JWP !!

Just now, beatlesaint said:

Might as well be cos he’ll be the mainstay next season as well, the poster boy a la JWP !!

I think the poster boy will be Smallbone, as he's the academy kid.

The potential team for next season does send shivers down my spine though.

I think the poster boy will be Smallbone, as he's the academy kid.

The potential team for next season does send shivers down my spine though.

Wait until Lyanco comes back from loan!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He’s highly rated by Season ticket holders I know at Bournemouth , they reckon he’s class. They also can’t believe it when I tell the,  how poor Rothwell has been in the championship. Is there anyone this manager has made noticeably better? 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s highly rated by Season ticket holders I know at Bournemouth , they reckon he’s class. They also can’t believe it when I tell the,  how poor Rothwell has been in the championship. Is there anyone this manager has made noticeably better? 

Adam Armstrong

Tonight was shit, and not good enough.

However it is very entitled to expect or assume promotion, rather than aim and  plan  for it.

We were one of the worst prem sides ever and in a mess.

We were far worse than Leeds or Leicester, (and I would suggest they kept / have better players). 

I don't think that the three relegated teams have ever gone straight back up in their first season.

Nearly half of relegated teams don't even make top 6.

The average is less than one relegated team goes straight back up the next season.

Where has this rule come from, that I read on here, that if we don't go up this season we won't next? History suggests otherwise - as most promoted teams are not those who just got relegated.

It's obvious we have had very poor defensive games, struggle without Downes, have thrown many games away - all of which are down to the manager.

However, anyone who thinks there is a chance we will, or should, sack Martin when we are about to go into the play offs, on 84 points, is wrong.

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'm not so sure he says the right things. If you listen to him he has a series of phrases that he continually rolls out at every interview.  He's clearly unable to think on his feet so hides behind these stock phrases which he keeps repeating. He doesn't strike me as a progressive coach full of ideas and views about the game - he's just very limited from what I see and hear.

24 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely. If any saints fan says that they were entertained tonight, or in the Ipswich game, or the countless other games where we shot ourselves in the foot because of RM's stupid tactics and game management, they're mental. 

Give me Puel esque football over this flouncy naive bollox every day of the week. 

So you’d rather play for a 0-0 against Hull, Bournemouth and Stoke than have a 5-3 or a 3-2? I’ll disagree there. I’m still looking forward to going to the Stoke game, dead rubber or not, knowing that pretty much anything can happen.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, West end Saints said:

Tonight was shit, and not good enough.

However it is very entitled to expect / assume promotion, rather than aim / plan  for it.

We were one of the worst prem sides ever and in a mess.

Far worse than Leeds or Leicester, (and I would suggest they kept / have better players). 

I don't think that the three relegated teams have ever gone straight back up in their first season.

Nearly half of relegated teams don't even make top 6.

The average is less than one relegated team goes straight back up the next season.

Where has this rule come from, that I read on here that if we don't go up this season we won't next? History suggests we otherwise as most promoted teams are not those who just come down.

It's obvious we have poor defensive games, struggle without Downes, have thrown many games away - all of which are down to the manager.

However, anyone who thinks there is a chance we will, or should, sack Martin when we are about to go into the play offs, on 84 points, is wrong.

I don’t think we have worse players than Leeds or Leicester and certainly not Ipswich. Do you you think we are so much worse than Leicester that over 2 games the aggregate score is 9-1?

• Like 1

This season -

Two 5-0 thrashings.

Conceded 2 or more goals in 17 matches.

Conceded over 60 goals, amongst the worst in the Top half of the Championship.

Scored 85 goals, up there with the Top 4 - that's why we're up there, because of how many we've scored. Definitely a positive.

Why we've not got 'there' is because of how many we concede. It's been pretty consistent to be fair, I can't see how we can win the playoffs with a defensive record like us.

Martins teams concede in excess of 60 goals every season. It's a massive flaw in his approach and he doesn't learn and will not learn, he believes this is the way and he will still be trying to do this when Worthing FC sign him up in a couple of years.

I don't disagree with passing football, but there's more to football than passing the ball (it's the very basis of the sport to be fair). You've got to be organised, you've got to track your runners, you've got to cover for team mates who bomb on, you can't leave huge gaps between the lines etc etc. I think the bloke is deluded, it's propaganda football, Man City-lite with players from Lidil.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Adam Armstrong

That’s because he’s found his level. RM hasn’t improved him. He was like this with Blackburn in the Championship. AA is not a PL player. End of.

• Like 4

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I don’t think we have worse players than Leeds or Leicester and certainly not Ipswich. Do you you think we are so much worse than Leicester that over 2 games the aggregate score is 9-1?

Of course we are. That wasn’t a fluke tonight.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

hearing this interview and his sky interview, where he talked of players in “preservation mode” and “playing for themselves” and saying “players that will run will start” in the next games

I took the statement “we don’t lose 5-0 if jack plays” as more of a reference to Jack Stephens mentality and work ethic than his ability.

• Like 2