Russell Martin

LegalEagle

7 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Will be interesting if both Leeds and Leicester will contest the playoffs 

Would not at all be surprised if West Brom and Middlesbrough take something from Leicester and Leeds 

I saw us score 19 goals at home last season, 51 this.

I know it's a lower league, results based industry, need promotion, given too many away....etc

But 51 goals and some great at times passing football has been much more enjoyable than the last couple of seasons. 

• Like 17

Good team selection tonight, clear style and identity and bang on a 2pts/game ratio for the season after 42 games.

Obviously nobody knows what happens from here, but good time to be in form.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Good team selection tonight, clear style and identity and bang on a 2pts/game ratio for the season after 42 games.

Obviously nobody knows what happens from here, but good time to be in form.

....and we've scored two goals a match as well, best in the league.

If by this time next week we're on 90 points then maybe I will move into the maybe there is small chance after all category.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Interesting comment about selecting the players who have played together most this season and have the understanding!

I guess the exception would be Aribo for Smallbone: But big Joe brings a physical presence which is really working right now

• Like 2

On 14/04/2024 at 14:52, West end Saints said:

I know it's a lower league, results based industry, need promotion, given too many away....etc

But 51 goals and some great at times passing football has been much more enjoyable than the last couple of seasons. 

Second that.

Both me and my dad have both said the Huddersfield and Watford games have been the most enjoyable/frustrating rollercoaster rides we’ve witnessed since the carabora cup final 

I’d just like to reiterate, I never doubted Russ for a minute.

disclaimer

Please don’t refer to previous posts that may or may not have expressed views that could be interpreted as doubts, I think I may have been hacked, it’s possible I could be hacked again when we next lose. 

• Haha 2

Totally agree with this

• Like 1

But but but, I'm always reading that we play boring, sideways football that doesn't amount to anything. 

• Haha 1

If, and it’s a big if, Russell Martin sticks with the tried and tested back four of Walker-Peters, Harwood-Bellis, Jan Bednarek and Ryan Manning, with a recognised CDM (so either Downes or Charles) in front of them I’m going to stake a claim now and say we will finish top two.

Keep Stephens out, chuck him on as a fifth CB on the last day when we’re 1-0 up at Elland Road. 😇

But in all seriousness there is no excuse to change those players now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If, and it’s a big if, Russell Martin sticks with the tried and tested back four of Walker-Peters, Harwood-Bellis, Jan Bednarek and Ryan Manning, with a recognised CDM (so either Downes or Charles) in front of them I’m going to stake a claim now and say we will finish top two.

Keep Stephens out, chuck him on as a fifth CB on the last day when we’re 1-0 up at Elland Road. 😇

But in all seriousness there is no excuse to change those players now.

It’s gonna be a fun end to the season. 

I don’t understand how it’s taken him until the last 6 games to see what all of us could see from the start of the season. Most of the above points we have all been crying out for 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t understand how it’s taken him until the last 6 games to see what all of us could see from the start of the season. Most of the above points we have all been crying out for 

It's obvious, you're all much better managers than Russell Martin.. 😉

Fairly certain most our games have started with that back four and Flynn in front.  Injury and form resulted in most of the changes (and a desire to play Jack 😇 )

• Haha 3

Spot on. This is an Emperors new clothes type of post because you are staying something so blatantly true and obvious yet so apparently deeply wrong that not many others dare to say it: It’s been a blast this season! 😇

How many goals do you think you'd see us score under Martin if we go up? 

I would guess it wouldn't be many more than 19. Might be 51 against us though. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dman said:

How many goals do you think you'd see us score under Martin if we go up? 

More than 19 - we are way more creative this year than last year.

> This is your cue to ...moan... striker ... winge... injury .... banjo .... sad face.... 

We may have four 'cup finals' in the next fifteen days, and even if we don't we'll have two or three in the playoffs. Our side has lost fewer away games in the league this year than anyone else, and we're in better form than our rivals. Can't you just hang your bedsheets out in the sun for a bit and be cheerful?!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

More than 19 - we are way more creative this year than last year.

> This is your cue to ...moan... striker ... winge... injury .... banjo .... sad face.... 

We may have four 'cup finals' in the next fifteen days, and even if we don't we'll have two or three in the playoffs. Our side has lost fewer away games in the league this year than anyone else, and we're in better form than our rivals. Can't you just hang your bedsheets out in the sun for a bit and be cheerful?!

FWIW - Burnley, who pissed the championship last season and will eclipse what will be our final points total, have scored 15 goals at home this season with 2 to play. 

We're more creative because we're in a significantly weaker leauge. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dman said:

We're more creative because we're in a significantly weaker leauge. 

So let's enjoy winning and scoring goals now; rather than worrying whether we might not score as many next year IF we get promoted.

If that happens 1/3 of the team at least would be new, and we may end up having our manager poached - so any pre-emptive moaning now would be pointless. 

If there is one thing I've learned following Saints it is that you have to smell the roses when things are pretty good, because there will be plenty of times when they aren't. Right now we're in the hunt for promotion. Lets enjoy the ride.

COYR

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So let's enjoy winning and scoring goals now; rather than worrying whether we might not score as many next year IF we get promoted.

If that happens 1/3 of the team at least would be new, and we may end up having our manager poached - so any pre-emptive moaning now would be pointless. 

If there is one thing I've learned following Saints it is that you have to smell the roses when things are pretty good, because there will be plenty of times when they aren't. Right now we're in the hunt for promotion. Lets enjoy the ride.

COYR

Spot on!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Great subs today. 👏

Setup the team well to absolutely batter the opponent. If the forwards take chances then we are deservedly out of sight.

Clearly the biggest issue this season hasnt been Manning, Stephens or Bazunu...its been taking more of the clear cut chances we have created due to dominating the game. Seems kind off odd as we have scored so many goals but we have left a whole load out there too. The most frustrsting results this season have largely been when we have played well for the most part, gone ahead and but not got ourselves out of sight when we easily could have, only to be pegged back.

Today was not possession for the sake of it, or crab football. It was total domination let down only by the finishing.

Easy to blame the manager but not always right, and definitely not today.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Setup the team well to absolutely batter the opponent. If the forwards take chances then we are deservedly out of sight.

Clearly the biggest issue this season hasnt been Manning, Stephens or Bazunu...its been taking more of the clear cut chances we have created due to dominating the game.

Today was not possession for the sake of it, or crab football. It was total domination let down only by the finishing.

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Clearly the biggest issue this season hasnt been Manning, Stephens or Bazunu...its been taking more of the clear cut chances we have created due to dominating the game. Seems kind off odd as we have scored so many goals but we have left a whole load out there too. The most frustrsting results this season have largely been when we have played well for the most part, gone ahead and but not got ourselves out of sight when we easily could have, only to be pegged back.

We were second best once they made their subs, that is on our manager. 

• Like 6

I know Adams and Brooks missed chances that would have been sitters in the Tyro League but even so, tactically he is every bit as bad as Nathan Jones, Pellegrino and Branfoot. Cannot cope mid-match with the opposition changing formation and personnel. Obvious Charles needed to solidify midfield today and stop the runners, it was obvious to anyone with any kind of football knowledge or even an alien landing from Mars. 

If Ankerson wants to keep him as a figurehead for their hipster project, it’s SR’s club not ours, but at least put Calderwood in charge of subs and tactics on match days because Russell Martin hasn’t got a fucking clue organisationally. 

Feel sorry for the folks who travelled today, mugged off royally by the club’s experimental crap, basic professionalism sees 3 points. Be glad when he and SR are gone.

• Like 4

Yeah the subs were on him today, totally killed our momentum and control of the game.

The first half team and performance was spot on, we just couldn't kill them off. 2nd half we started just as well but again couldn't kill them off. The subs were poor as we lost all control at that point, Cardiff edged back into the game and equalised. After they equalised you thought we'd throw the kitchen sink at them, but again the subs (Edozie/Fraser/Sullemana) confused the team and it was like a tombola substitution - no thought, no tactical idea behind them, just a case of throw them all on and see - that's why Cardiff looked more likely to win it with a bunch of kids, and ultimately they did.

Frustrating as our subs have often got us over the line, but today it cost us everything.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah the subs were on him today, totally killed our momentum and control of the game.

The first half team and performance was spot on, we just couldn't kill them off.

Frustrating as our subs have often got us over the line, but today it cost us everything.

Failure to kill them off cost us everything. Quite clearly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Failure to kill them off cost us everything. Quite clearly.

Yeah, obviously - but the subs then ruined the game because they weren't very well thought through imo.

Credit to him for the first half team and performance, spot on, but the way the subs destroyed us in the 2nd half has to be on him.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

More and more I see some of the players as the issue, not the manager. Too many of them are naive and wasteful, prone to errors of judgement, mishits, scuffs and brain farts.

Perhaps The manager contributes to this with the culture he’s imposed on the club, telling everyone how “brave” they are and how well they played. He seems to think a hairdryer is for pouncing up your hair, they need fucking sorting out……Soft as shite. 

• Like 2

Doesn’t know his best starting line up. Doesn’t know how to counter when the opposition change tactics. Throws subs on for the sake of it in hope that something happens.

Game was lost when Smallbone replaced Downes. Just like when Downes was out not long ago and we lost a few games. Except of course the one against West Brom when Charles slotted in at CDM, only to be dropped next two matches.

No consistency whatsoever. Forget this director of football shit, bring in a manager with their own transfer targets and the freedom to shape the team their way next season. Possession based City-lite football is absolute BOLLOCKS, there’s only one statistic that matters and that’s out scoring the opponent. Martin out.

• Like 8

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps The manager contributes to this with the culture he’s imposed on the club, telling everyone how “brave” they are and how well they played. He seems to think a hairdryer is for pouncing up your hair, they need fucking sorting out……Soft as shite. 

Precisely. This was our most important game of the season so far and is probably the lowest quality side we’ll face the rest of the way. I can accept wayward finishing isn’t the manager’s fault but that second half performance was totally unacceptable and is on the manager. The subs were chaotic and panicked and it showed on the pitch at the end.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Doesn’t know his best starting line up. Doesn’t know how to counter when the opposition change tactics. Throws subs on for the sake of it in hope that something happens.

Game was lost when Smallbone replaced Downes. Just like when Downes was out not long ago and we lost a few games. Except of course the one against West Brom when Charles slotted in at CDM, only to be dropped next two matches.

No consistency whatsoever. Forget this director of football shit, bring in a manager with their own transfer targets and the freedom to shape the team their way next season. Possession based City-lite football is absolute BOLLOCKS, there’s only one statistic that matters and that’s out scoring the opponent. Martin out.

I think the first half performance showed that he got the team right, nothing wrong with that selection or Smallbones inclusion. The Aribo/Rothwell sub is what really impacted us. Lost all elements of control at that point.

Then we just threw on 3 wingers for the sake of it with no thought. That's what did it for us today.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Absolute nonsense, you have no idea what team meetings are like. Adams isn't going to suddenly start thumping chances into the net because somebody screamed at him. He is just a very limited player, who has never in his career been capable of more than around 15 goals in the Championship, with a lot more missed chances in and around.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the first half performance showed that he got the team right, nothing wrong with that selection or Smallbones inclusion. The Aribo/Rothwell sub is what really impacted us. Lost all elements of control at that point.

Then we just threw on 3 wingers for the sake of it with no thought. That's what did it for us today.

Yep. The end of the game was an utter shambles, that’s on Martin.

• Like 4

Knew we’d lose as soon as the line up came out, back to square pegs in round holes is good old Lego head. 

made himself look a bit stupid giving it stacks to the Cardiff fans down our place, considering they’ve just ruined our season.. nice one Rus

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Only idiot managers chew out their players in public. How do you know he isn't tough on them behind closed doors? 

Macca instead of Lumley isn't the kind of soft choice you're referring to.

---

That said I'm beyond frustrated today. Whilst the starting team did great (except for the woeful finishing) I really think we should have started with Charles instead of Smallbone, and the second half subs were ridiculous:

> Fraser & Edozie have never played together for obvious reasons

> Stu needs to be subbed by 75 mins; but instead was asked to prop up a midfield full of lightweights because there was no Downes/Aribo/Charles. It's no wonder he's gone down with what looks like a career ending injury.

> I would rather see SAA come on than Kameltoe - has always been far more effective

Brookes to learn to play Stu's role against Leicester, with Fraser and Arma as the wingers. SAA & Edozie to come on when they tire.

• Like 2

I'm sure Russ will take flak from the usual suspects but today wasn't on him. For most of that game we played well and created a shit load of chances. Some of those misses were inexplicable but sum up our season. A fit and firing Stewart (or competent alternative) who actually puts away the easy chances, and we'd be going up automatically imo.

• Haha 1

The players have to take the lion’s share of the blame today, those misses were comical.

Che Adams was one of the main reasons we went down, he’s one of the main reason we won’t go up. We need a proper centre forward.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I'm sure Russ will take flak from the usual suspects but today wasn't on him. For most of that game we played well and created a shit load of chances. Some of those misses were inexplicable but sum up our season. A fit and firing Stewart (or competent alternative) who actually puts away the easy chances, and we'd be going up automatically imo.

Utter bollox. Game management yet again costs us points. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Not many will disagree with you on that, we should have been out of sight and the first half performance was positive - so you have to give credit for that.

The problem I have, and many fans have, is that his subs made us worse and brought Cardiff back into the game. From a comfortable and controlled 1-0, missing loads of chances, we changed to a sloppy, disjointed and weak team who were being played through by the team who ultimately won it. For all the good in the first half and the team he picked, he un done it all by what he did with the subs.

We'd got a goal, were being wasteful, so at that point you've got to think about 1) retaining control and 2) retreating a little bit, not much, but not being as adventurous during the final 20. Charles would have been perfect to sit and shied, but fuck knows why he doesn't trust him for the only job he can actually do. Rothwell doing that job cost us the match.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Utter bollox. Game management yet again costs us points. 

Utter bollox. 

That game should have been over at half time. 

The second half should have seen Cardiff player's wandering around in fit flops. 

Spunked chances cost us the game. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I agree, but over a whole season we've outscored our rivals but let in a lot more than them so got to look at defence and keeper too. 

Games like today, Middlesbrough home where we miss chance after chance is demoralising though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

About time someone on here talked some sense.

The only thing he made a mistake with was persist and dither with subs a little too long. 

It isn’t Russell Martins fault that he was bought a crocked striker and has been left with one of the most inconsistent finishers in the league.

• Like 1