Russell Martin

LegalEagle

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's like almost all wingers. Some days they look amazing, others they disappear. Not sure I agree about him not delivering at all. He showed his quality with the lovely first touch and shot to get the winner at WBA (or is turning a 1-0 lead into a 2-0 win outside your parameters?). He made it look easy, but I doubt anyone else scores that goal for us. No one else is scoring that goal at Birmingham either.  

I think we are seeing why Bournemouth allowed him to go out on loan. He offers Prem level quality at times, but there is a lack of consistency. Also, he is a luxury player, a liability defensively. That said, I'm glad we brought him here and think he will be the guy that come off the bench and scores the winner in the play offs.

You're right, that was a very good goal and a bit of quality. Maybe i was expecting a bit more, when he joined Bournemouth fans were saying that they've just given us the players to secure our promotion, it's not really worked out that way, we've struggled as a team since him and Rothwell joined, i dont really feel they've contributed enough

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes so the fact they have been relegated doesn't make him a bad keeper. 

What about the fact that he’s let in a lot of goals?

My comment related to the reference to the players in front of the goalkeeper. It’s a team game.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What about the fact that he’s let in a lot of goals?

My comment related to the reference to the players in front of the goalkeeper. It’s a team game.

he’s a crap keeper for this level

that’s about it really 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He’s average for this level. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My two pennysworth, he may have a bad XG but he hasn't made too many mistakes leading to goals which is an improvement and i definitely remember a lot of goals going in the perfect place to score or being from like point blank range.

Looking at this link below he's been mid table for most stats this season aside from save % where he is near the bottom (5th from), but as i said above there have been games where goals are getting smashed in top right etc.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats

On 07/04/2024 at 11:45, Lord Duckhunter said:

Didn’t he say he’d buy Baz if he wasn’t already here. It’s a bit of a stretch to imply Baz in nets is something he inherited. He’s 100% onboard the Baz bus, & could have binned him if he wanted. As for striker, there’s plenty of managers who’d get a tune out of Che Adams in this league. The fact he appears to be even worse this season is down to the manager & his coaching staff. I don’t feel sorry for him at all, the arrogant twat is getting all the stick he deserves. This ain’t ending well imo. 

I don’t think you can criticise a manager for publicly backing his players, especially a young one at the beginning of the season.

As for ‘binning’ Bazunu, yes he could but when the immediate options available to him are Lumley (look at the stats for his previous season) and McCarthy , it isn’t great.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

My two pennysworth, he may have a bad XG but he hasn't made too many mistakes leading to goals which is an improvement and i definitely remember a lot of goals going in the perfect place to score or being from like point blank range.

Looking at this link below he's been mid table for most stats this season aside from save % where he is near the bottom (5th from), but as i said above there have been games where goals are getting smashed in top right etc.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats

Also just heard a great quote about stats which I will now repeat every time we got down to a stats debate.

Stats are like bikini's, what they show you is interesting but what they don't show you is even more interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Also just heard a great quote about stats which I will now repeat every time we got down to a stats debate.

Stats are like bikini's, what they show you is interesting but what they don't show you is even more interesting.

On that note I will say I find stats quite interesting. I may have said in earlier posts that I find most stats boring and uninteresting, but that is not the case...

I love stats 😍 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

in this particular case what is it that the stats don’t show us that is interesting ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

in this particular case what is it that the stats don’t show us that is interesting 

You not helping our forum credibility about being full of virgins if you don't know what's interesting underneath a bikini 😜

31 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

in this particular case what is it that the stats don’t show us that is interesting ?

Good point, but to give you a proper answerI haven't given it too much thought but I would go for something we see with our eyes.

Goal movements started by our goalkeeper

Something I will call asserted dominance in a game which I think is basically we are all over them and should of scored with the opportunities created, this is not just xg but more about being on top but have a striker who arm and bum are his best tools

It's quite hard to quantify we were the better team, I think the stats are a part of a jigsaw but you need the completed jigsaw for the full picture and stats don't give you what your eyes see, they are indicators only.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Good point, but to give you a proper answerI haven't given it too much thought but I would go for something we see with our eyes.

Goal movements started by our goalkeeper

Something I will call asserted dominance in a game which I think is basically we are all over them and should of scored with the opportunities created, this is not just xg but more about being on top but have a striker who arm and bum are his best tools

It's quite hard to quantify we were the better team, I think the stats are a part of a jigsaw but you need the completed jigsaw for the full picture and stats don't give you what your eyes see, they are indicators only.

Yes I think the goal movements is about all there is. In the Ipswich game the commentary team said 10 of our goals had started from Bazanu.  No idea how that compares to other keepers - guess that’s another statistic!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Even after a win 

Well, yes... It would be somewhat illogical to ponder on why/how we won if we hadn't actually won... Sigh... 🤦 ;)

Edited by trousers

Wasnt a fan of his subs today. Why must he always make 5 subs in every game? I get that it's a squad game these days but there's no law saying you have to use all your subs. 

If we were playing at high intensity then I could understand it. But we don't so it just seems like tinkering for the sake of it.

• Like 4

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Wasnt a fan of his subs today. Why must he always make 5 subs in every game? I get that it's a squad game these days but there's no law saying you have to use all your subs. 

If we were playing at high intensity then I could understand it. But we don't so it just seems like tinkering for the sake of it.

Didn't you get the memo? We're not allowed to be critical after a win. Keep up! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Didn't you get the memo? We're not allowed to be critical after a win. Keep up! ;)

If you want to be critical just do it, your constant on the fence routine is a bit tiresome.

Do you think we won in spite of Martin?

(FWIW Manning was a great sub today)

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If you want to be critical just do it, your constant on the fence routine is a bit tiresome.

Do you think we won in spite of Martin?

(FWIW Manning was a great sub today)

I thought being "tiresome" on here was mandatory....? ;)

FWIW, I'm genuinely undecided as to whether we win more often because of Russell or in spite of him.

Apologies for posting my random thoughts on an internet football forum, oh wise one... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

McKenna two points from last two games

Maresca 0 points from last three games

Farke one points from last two.

Martin six points from last two.

Clearly only manager who can handle the pressure.

(Not serious point!)

Not sure why he seems to make it hard, but suppose after good early start and wanting a comfortable 3-0, what happened was more enjoyable.

Those criticising subs- there were some tired players there today, Smallbone played very well but was correct to sub him. I would have been tempted to change KWP, he was puffing and leggy towards the end.

25 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

If the miracle does happen and we end up going up, then we're going to need a goalkeeper.

Stay down, we need a GK.

Surely Spurs or someone can see the obvious potential in this young GK of ours and offer us £25m ( or even what we paid for him). Or were our recruitment team the only ones who see this ? 

31 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d be more frustrated about how Sekou Mara gets minutes over any other sub, including Joe Lumley.

Surely Dibling is worth an occasional run out before Mara ?

• Like 5

"Ultimately it's been a really good day, but I'm annoyed it took until the 97th minute to win after the start we had. I'm frustrated about that.

"I said to the players, 'We can't afford to come off it for one second' and at 2-0 we came off it. But I think we were the better team and we deserved to win.

"I said to the players, 'The emotion we felt in the 97th minute, we have a chance to feel that 10 times over (by getting promoted) as long as we don't take our foot off the gas at any point.

"It's my job to be relentless with them. There are going to be twists and turns and we need to take care of (results) ourselves.

"We did that today and we deserved to. It took until far too late, but I'm delighted with that moment at the end.

"There was so much good stuff but also stuff we really need to do better."

He's not wrong in that they stepped off after 2-0. He's not wqrong about there being a lot of good stuff.

And he's very aware that he could say/ has said that about so many of our leads in games this season.

• Like 2

What I don’t get it’s how we can go so quickly go from being in control of a game to it being panic stations and backs to the walls.

Even in a game at 2-0 we are a ten minute spell away from all the good work being undone.

Not sure if that’s the players or RM. I think a lot of it is to do with the midfield set up and formation and it’s been a problem for some time. We struggle to control games and we should be able to do better with the players we have. Even  against sides like Birmingham and Huddersfield it was seat of the pants stuff.

All the subs post 60 mins don’t help team cohesion either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, West end Saints said:

McKenna two points from last two games

Maresca 0 points from last three games

Farke one points from last two.

Martin six points from last two.

Clearly only manager who can handle the pressure.

(Not serious point!)

Not sure why he seems to make it hard, but suppose after good early start and wanting a comfortable 3-0, what happened was more enjoyable.

Those criticising subs- there were some tired players there today, Smallbone played very well but was correct to sub him. I would have been tempted to change KWP, he was puffing and leggy towards the end.

Jo Tessem was adamant that KWP needed subbing from quite early .

10 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

What I don’t get it’s how we can go so quickly go from being in control of a game to it being panic stations and backs to the walls.

Even in a game at 2-0 we are a ten minute spell away from all the good work being undone.

Not sure if that’s the players or RM. I think a lot of it is to do with the midfield set up and formation and it’s been a problem for some time. We struggle to control games and we should be able to do better with the players we have. Even  against sides like Birmingham and Huddersfield it was seat of the pants stuff.

All the subs post 60 mins don’t help team cohesion either.

There's very rarely any consideration for the other team in these "what changed" summaries is there?

• Like 2

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

There's very rarely any consideration for the other team in these "what changed" summaries is there?

agreed to some degree and you can’t have it your own way all the time but it’s a pattern that repeats itself so it’s worth considering why if we want to improve as a team 

I really like Russell Martin. 

I wouldn’t question his tactics, “Russball” clearly works. You don’t finish in the top four in the league by playing shit football.

The biggest mistake this season was not buying a fit striker, had we done that I think we’d have scored a fair few more goals and sealed more wins.
That’s on the board, not Russ.

The bit where RM can help himself is with his team selection. Stick to the basics, a CB at CB, a FB at FB.
Jack Stephens on the bench leaving Harwood-Bellis and Bednarek to continue their excellent defensive bond.
Sekou Mara not brought on as a sub, preferably not in the match day twenty for the foreseeable future.
As someone mentioned elsewhere Rothwell and Brooks are impact subs, never been too impressed with them as starters.

In terms of management and style I don’t think many should be grumbling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The biggest mistake this season was not buying a fit striker, had we done that I think we’d have scored a fair few more goals and sealed more wins.

We're the second highest scorers in the league, so maybe it's the goals we concede that are the bigger deciding factor...?

P.s. but I agree, having a decent/fit clinical striker wouldn't be a bad thing!

Screenshot_20240413-213812.png

Edited by trousers

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

We're the second highest scorers in the league, so maybe it's the goals we concede that are the bigger deciding factor...?

P.s. but I agree, having a decent/fit clinical striker wouldn't be a bad thing!

Totally agree with you on that, I keep seeing the view that ''we need a striker'' ''we need to score more goals'' - but we score shit loads of goals like you say. We have a player in our team who has contributed the most goals for any team in the league. When we're winning games 4-3, or 5-3, 3-2 the problem isn't goal scoring!

Our issue is the goals we let in as you say, you can see the totals against for Leicester and Leeds to understand why they've got cushion over us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Totally agree with you on that, I keep seeing the view that ''we need a striker'' ''we need to score more goals'' - but we score shit loads of goals like you say. We have a player in our team who has contributed the most goals for any team in the league. When we're winning games 4-3, or 5-3, 3-2 the problem isn't goal scoring!

Our issue is the goals we let in as you say, you can see the totals against for Leicester and Leeds to understand why they've got cushion over us.

Indeed, although Ipswich are a bit of an outlier in that they've only conceded one goal less than us yet are top of the table. Funny old game...

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Indeed, although Ipswich are a bit of an outlier in that they've only conceded one goal less than us yet are top of the table. Funny old game...

Ipswich have been an odd outlier on everything all season really! Not sure how to judge them. They've just flown on the crazy momentum that football can give you, easier to flow on that momentum in the lower leagues (Wrexham another example)

• Like 1

Maybe we can do a deal and just give him back?

In reality….its striking that Swansea seem to be going after him and not SFC. We know that Saints delayed the deal to sign him so that we were not a Premier League club when he joined us, therefore reducing the compo paid. Now Swansea are bringing this action it seems to be against Martin himself and not the club. Interesting.

Edited by The Kraken

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Maybe we can do a deal and just give him back?

In reality….its striking that Swansea seem to be going after him and not SFC. We know that Saints delayed the deal to sign him so that we were not a Premier League club when he joined us, therefore reducing the compo paid. Now Swansea are bringing this action it seems to be against Martin himself and not the club. Interesting.

It’s a snakey move and smacks of desperation

What we massively lack is another Flyn Downes so we can play the *hipster alert!!!* Double Pivot and close down midfield. Martin tried to make one yesterday by putting Stephens in there and it didn't work. He doesn't fancy Charles. That leaves us without one and it's a big gap in the squad.

Anyhow, can we please start playing with a proper back 4 again, with a left back and a right back for the rest of the season. It usually works quite well! 

• Like 5

The Leicester forum and the Leeds forum are interesting reads and the content is much the same as on here but with a lot of venom from many posters directed towards the manager; only a few on here imo want to get rid of RM regardless of what happens in the next few weeks.  

I did not see a poster with the same or similar degree of sanctimonious sermonising as the one we have on here; he or she seems to be truly unique.  

The feeling on both sites was that we will beat Leeds and Leicester.  I was pleasantly surprised that Patrick Bumford gets a lot of stick from Leeds fans for being interested more in falling over to get a free kick or a penalty than in scoring and that Leicester fans do not seem to think that the repulsive Vardy is odds on to score against us.  Both sets of fans reckon that their sides will contest the play-offs and not win promotion.

People on here and on there need to cheer up.