Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, thesaint sfc said:

I feel like we're in a similar situation to when Puel was manager. Our league position was good but it was clear as day that we should be doing better with the squad we had and the football was boring to watch.

I’d say it was the opposite. Martin is 4th with a points total that would usually be 2nd. Puel was 8th with a points total that would usually be 13th.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Then you have low expectations to be fair.

Fuck me, Sherlock is about. What the bollocks are you on about?? How did you deduce your thoughts on what my expectations are?

Fucking hell. If you’re one of the best 2 teams in the division, you’ll get promoted. Points totals from other seasons are irrelevant, you’re playing different fucking teams. Leagues are weaker some years, stronger others. Nobody denies Leicester were deservedly champions despite getting less points than Liverpool did finishing second in another year. 8th is 8th & 4th is  4th. People twisting that because it doesn’t suit their opinion of managers is pretty pathetic really. 

Bring the 4th best team this season with this squad of players is no big deal, regardless of how many points you get. 

Fuck me, I remember 2 promotions from this league and haven’t got the foggiest idea how many points we got, it’s irrelevant. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking hell. If you’re one of the best 2 teams in the division, you’ll get promoted. Points totals from other seasons are irrelevant, you’re playing different fucking teams. Leagues are weaker some years, stronger others. Nobody denies Leicester were deservedly champions despite getting less points than Liverpool did finishing second in another year. 8th is 8th & 4th is  4th. People twisting that because it doesn’t suit their opinion of managers is pretty pathetic really. 

Bring the 4th best team this season with this squad of players is no big deal, regardless of how many points you get. 

Fuck me, I remember 2 promotions from this league and haven’t got the foggiest idea how many points we got, it’s irrelevant. 

Everybody understands that, we know how a league table works, thanks. It shows how good you were relative to the other teams that season, nothing more, nothing less. The Leicester team which won the league was, by a very comfortable margin, worse than the Liverpool team which missed out on being the invincible Champions ‘by 13mm’.

• Like 1

One thing I wish we’d do - turn and run at teams. Ipswich away the other day was far from the tika-taka football we’ve come to know from RM.

We need to be direct and run at teams.

Opposition know that we’ll piss around with it. All they have to do is be patient and they’ll latch onto a mistake.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Everybody understands that, we know how a league table works, thanks. It shows how good you were relative to the other teams that season, nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly. 8th is 8th & play offs are play offs.

Stating we’d be in second in other seasons doesn’t make RussBall anymore more successful,  4th is just 4th. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

One thing I wish we’d do - turn and run at teams. Ipswich away the other day was far from the tika-taka football we’ve come to know from RM.

We need to be direct and run at teams.

Opposition know that we’ll piss around with it. All they have to do is be patient and they’ll latch onto a mistake.

Is amazing we’ve won the odd game this season, innit?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Is amazing we’ve won the odd game this season, innit?

Yep, we did win a few.... until opposing managers did what they were paid for and found out how it wasn't that hard to play against us.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Yep, we did win a few.... until opposing managers did what they were paid for and found out how it wasn't that hard to play against us.

Yep we’ll never win another game again innit. Coz all the oppo coaches know how we play now, innit. We is fucked, innit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yep we’ll never win another game again innit. Coz all the oppo coaches know how we play now, innit. We is fucked, innit. 

Not quite what I said but certainly to use your quaint way of putting it as far as automatic promotion goes, which at one stage was well within our grasp, we certainly is fucked innit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Not quite what I said but certainly to use your quaint way of putting it as far as automatic promotion goes, which at one stage was well within our grasp, we certainly is fucked innit.

The club was on its fucking knees at the end of last season.  It was broken. A dead fucking parrot.  The rebuild done by all the staff should be applauded. Accept the autos have now gone and get behind the team for the play offs - or not, up to you, I know where I’m standing. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

🤞

Probably a bullshit rumour but it wouldn’t surprise me that Russell would at least be on Brighton’s list of potential replacements should RdZ leave. 

IMHO the Brighton of 3 or 4 seasons ago Russell would’ve been the profile they’d have been looking for. Now they’re operating at a higher level, managing in a top league and European experience I think will be on their requirements list. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What a very odd reply. 😂

Are you putting down to our recent dip in form to “bad luck”?

Literally no idea what the fuck you are talking about. 

13 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

That might be your wish but I can’t see us sacking him this summer. 

Not my wish at all. I'd prefer he stayed, to be honest. 

The goal of the ownership group was promotion, so if we don't achieve that, he won't be sticking around I don't think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d say it was the opposite. Martin is 4th with a points total that would usually be 2nd. Puel was 8th with a points total that would usually be 13th.

All very well except for the small matter of Puel managing in the Prem and Martin in the Championship - very different standard of competition.   As Martin will find out if he's snapped up by Brighton.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Its all about promotion, whether that comes via 1st, 2nd or even 6th place, it ultimately doesnt matter. Honestly couldnt tell you most of the teams who won the Championship or finished 2nd prior to last season. If Leicester, Ipswich or Leeds win the league, that will matter very little if we're lining up against them next season.

Its really a waste of thumb energy arguing about the success or failure of RM and 'Russball' with the business end of the season still to happen. There will be plenty of time for that come the end of May and beyond. Its time to get behind the team regardless of your views of RM

• Like 2

I'm not going to lose sleep over Brighton talking to RM, in fact I hope it has legs. Let them enjoy turgid football for a change and us find someone who wants to get the ball in the back of the net in under 100 passes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Its all about promotion, whether that comes via 1st, 2nd or even 6th place, it ultimately doesnt matter. Honestly couldnt tell you most of the teams who won the Championship or finished 2nd prior to last season. If Leicester, Ipswich or Leeds win the league, that will matter very little if we're lining up against them next season.

It’s really a waste of thumb energy arguing about the success or failure of RM and 'Russball' with the business end of the season still to happen. There will be plenty of time for that come the end of May and beyond. Its time to get behind the team regardless of your views of RM

I don’t get this argument.  This is a message board not the terraces.  I can give my opinion of Martin on here.  It doesn’t mean I’ll do anything but support the team when I’m watching.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Not my wish at all. I'd prefer he stayed, to be honest. 

The goal of the ownership group was promotion, so if we don't achieve that, he won't be sticking around I don't think.

There is no chance he gets sacked in the summer. The last thing we need, especially with Wilcox going, is even more change.

The club have committed to this style of play for the long term and I think we would have a strong promotion chance next season in a likely weaker division despite obviously losing players.

I still find the level of dislike towards RM very strange.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I still find the level of dislike towards RM's tactics very strange.

I would think this dislike is mostly towards his stubborness of playing a certain way when it clearly isn't working now. I like the fella, he's had some tough times in his life, but I can't say I particularly like watching my team playing this way, OK when we were getting away with it, but now it's been easily countered by opposition managers it's become tedious. And reading opposition fan forums when we play them it's pretty obvious he's not very well liked and his football style is generally seen as horrible and boring.

I'm sure he'd love to manage Brighton, his local team and where he lives. Is he still commuting every day? It's only along the coast but that is one shitty drive he must be fed up with. But if the link is true I'd still be amazed if he got that job.

• Like 2

Whether you like a style or not is subjective. Personally, I enjoy watching us retain the ball and progress forward; we’ve scored some magnificent goals this way. 
Our current issues are not style related. The issues we have you’d see with every way of playing. Football, in its simplest form, relies upon sticking the ball in the net and stopping the opponent doing the same in your net. In most games we’ve created enough excellent goal scoring opportunities to win. We’ve also defended poorly at times and been punished. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I would think this dislike is mostly towards his stubborness of playing a certain way when it clearly isn't working now. I like the fella, he's had some tough times in his life, but I can't say I particularly like watching my team playing this way, OK when we were getting away with it, but now it's been easily countered by opposition managers it's become tedious. And reading opposition fan forums when we play them it's pretty obvious he's not very well liked and his football style is generally seen as horrible and boring.

I'm sure he'd love to manage Brighton, his local team and where he lives. Is he still commuting every day? It's only along the coast but that is one shitty drive he must be fed up with. But if the link is true I'd still be amazed if he got that job.

Obviously each to their own but personally would say that this season has been anything but boring.

We have scored joint 3rd most goals (from fewer games) including multiple late winners etc. In the vast majority of games we have been the dominant team. Overall its been (so far) one of the more fun seasons of the last 30 years I would say.

Naïve and frustrating at times, absolutely. But not boring. I think that is just one of the lazt stereotypes about the style from before the season even started.

Re Brighton links, they have a recent history of recruiting managers who play a very specific style and place more of an emphasis on that than results in particular.

With RM you get someone who clearly gets teams playing his style, quickly and effectively. Within coaching circles that is a very strong attribute. Compare with Nathan Jones for example who mumbled many things about what his team would be, had 6 weeks to implement something and even after 2 months there was nothing obvious in terms of patterns of play. He may be an outside candidate but I can see why they might be interested.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I don’t necessarily disagree with either of you, I used the word ‘boring’ in relation to opposition fans views as it’s something I read regularly on their forums, plenty of them have come up against RM sides over recent years. I said tedious since we’ve been rumbled, we’ve needed to change our approach but he seems reluctant to stray from the plan and we’re getting undone. We certainly lack a bit more of the urgency required.

I had a stream with the Blackburn comms on Saturday and they commented about our ineffectiveness and lack of entertainment in our style and how our fans were all just stood there with arms folded. On their forums they said we were the quietest away fans there this season, contrast that to the last time we played well in the league. After West Brom away they were saying best side and fans at the Hawthorns.

But I am a bit of an old git, I do like my football a bit more cut and thrust, or at least mixed up a bit.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
Typo
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Obviously each to their own but personally would say that this season has been anything but boring.

We have scored joint 3rd most goals (from fewer games) including multiple late winners etc. In the vast majority of games we have been the dominant team. Overall its been (so far) one of the more fun seasons of the last 30 years I would say.

Naïve and frustrating at times, absolutely. But not boring. I think that is just one of the lazt stereotypes about the style from before the season even started.

Re Brighton links, they have a recent history of recruiting managers who play a very specific style and place more of an emphasis on that than results in particular.

With RM you get someone who clearly gets teams playing his style, quickly and effectively. Within coaching circles that is a very strong attribute. Compare with Nathan Jones for example who mumbled many things about what his team would be, had 6 weeks to implement something and even after 2 months there was nothing obvious in terms of patterns of play. He may be an outside candidate but I can see why they might be interested.

Except that they don’t. Mainly one-paced which is ok for playing chess but not much good for getting the pulse racing.

• Like 4

On 07/04/2024 at 11:10, david in sweden said:

Agree with you Badger.    Those " recent performances " include shorter spells without Downes (at first), then Fraser and Walker-Peters and (sadly) Che Adams'

inability to convert chances when it was easier to score than miss, and then yesterday without the very influential Stuart Armstrong.  We also came up against

a " beefy side " , not afraid to put the boot in , and a referee who let too much go unpunished.  Once again our " lightweight squad " took a lot of stick, and

I'm wondering what the injury tally may be like for the Tuesday game v. Coventry (another side with some " tough individuals"  in it.

YES - we got a clean sheet for once  (the 11th of the season) yet failed to find a winner.  Now some will blame Adam Armstrong - who has already clocked up

20 goals this season - ( last person to achieve that was Danny Ings ).  With Adams' dip in form, the remainder of the strike force just can't make up the shortfall.

No-one that I have read has suggested that RM insisted on buying Ross Stewart, (a player also mentioned last season before RM arrived), and was still "recovering" 

when Stewart was signed by the club in late August.  Most managers wouldn't refuse to have a 6' 2" striker in their line-up , and so I doubt that RM refused the offer.

it's down to the scouting staff and D.O. F. to decide on who we can afford.   (With hindsight I wonder if he would have approved Shea Charles' signing ? )

I find it impossible to follow the logic of certain people on this site, who still criticised RM and all concerned after we had passed 24 unbeaten games and

then put 5 goals past Huddersfield.   Already some people are demanding " a house-cleaning" because we haven't achieved an automatic promotion place. 

Quite frankly ...after last season's finish and the subsequent player sales that followed,  I'm pleasantly surprised that we are doing so well in the top half. 

David I'm genuinely interested in a balanced debate and I'm trying to get my head around your post... If I read this correctly you are saying that RM has done ok because we were shit last year and we're in the top half which makes a nice change and that it's not RMs fault because we haven't got enough firepower up front?

You mentioned the unbeaten run, but how many games did we needlessly draw that we should have won during that period if we'd taken a few more risks with the ball? The unbeaten run was a bit of a red herring... If rather than drawing 2 games we'd one one and lost one we would be better off. Do you think this risk adverse approach actually works?

It is easy to focus on the lack of a Striker and blame the recruitment for all our woes, but that ignores the bizarre team selections, the lack of tactical adaptability, the inability to consistently get the side playing with the tempo needed for Russball to work, ... We have plenty of goals in the side, as we have demonstrated from time to time (as you rightly highlighted) but it seems to me that our tactics (that insist on ball retention over risk) lead to us creating fewer good chances than we should. Do you think our approach is ok?

Our expectations as a club were to get promoted this year. If RM fails to do that now via the playoffs he has failed to meet expectations. Our current form doesn't suggest we're the team to beat going into the playoffs. Do you think RM should be given a pass for looking like he is heading for failure?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, austsaint said:

All very well except for the small matter of Puel managing in the Prem and Martin in the Championship - very different standard of competition.   As Martin will find out if he's snapped up by Brighton.

Which is lovely except it's nothing to do with the point I was making. FWIW I would probably just about choose RM over CP.

3 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

David I'm genuinely interested in a balanced debate and I'm trying to get my head around your post... If I read this correctly you are saying that RM has done ok because we were shit last year and we're in the top half which makes a nice change and that it's not RMs fault because we haven't got enough firepower up front?

You mentioned the unbeaten run, but how many games did we needlessly draw that we should have won during that period if we'd taken a few more risks with the ball? The unbeaten run was a bit of a red herring... If rather than drawing 2 games we'd one one and lost one we would be better off. Do you think this risk adverse approach actually works?

It is easy to focus on the lack of a Striker and blame the recruitment for all our woes, but that ignores the bizarre team selections, the lack of tactical adaptability, the inability to consistently get the side playing with the tempo needed for Russball to work, ... We have plenty of goals in the side, as we have demonstrated from time to time (as you rightly highlighted) but it seems to me that our tactics (that insist on ball retention over risk) lead to us creating fewer good chances than we should. Do you think our approach is ok?

Our expectations as a club were to get promoted this year. If RM fails to do that now via the playoffs he has failed to meet expectations. Our current form doesn't suggest we're the team to beat going into the playoffs. Do you think RM should be given a pass for looking like he is heading for failure?

25 games unbeaten was a red herring? 😂

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which is lovely except it's nothing to do with the point I was making. FWIW I would probably just about choose RM over CP.

But it's a very valid point. Puel achieved pretty well in the prem  playing dull football. Martin hasn't achieved in the championship playing  dull football. RM's football would be a disaster on the Prem. Puel's wasn't. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with either of you, I used the word ‘boring’ in relation to opposition fans views as it’s something I read regularly on their forums, plenty of them have come up against RM sides over recent years. I said tedious since we’ve been rumbled, we’ve needed to change our approach but he seems reluctant to stray from the plan and we’re getting undone. We certainly lack a bit more of the urgency required.

I had a stream with the Blackburn comms on Saturday and they commented about our ineffectiveness and lack of entertainment in our style and how our fans were all just stood there with arms folded. On their forums they said we were the quietest away fans there this season, contrast that to the last time we played well in the league. After West Brom away they were saying best side and fans at the Hawthorns.

But I am a bit of an old git, I do like my football a bit more cut and thrust, or at least mixed up a bit.

My son and I were at both these games and the atmosphere is dictated by the play of the pitch. W.Brom was full of confidence and more direct. Last Saturday was dull, boring and negative. And Jack played in both so we can't blame him! 

I agree Ale House. Mix it up. Against Ipswich after we went 1-0 down, we went more direct, looked for the forward pass and bish bash bosh, we went 2-1 up in a matter on minutes. Then we sat back.

Personally I'm not a possession football fan. In fact, with our speed, I reckon we'd probably be a better counter attacking side.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It wasn't the dominating period you might have thought either, Leicester got 3 more points than us as they played 1 more league gamee than us and won the extra game, and Leeds got 1 point less than Saints from their league games during that period.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

But it's a very valid point. Puel achieved pretty well in the prem  playing dull football. Martin hasn't achieved in the championship playing  dull football. RM's football would be a disaster on the Prem. Puel's wasn't. 

We'll never know what RM could achieve with the likes of Tadic and Gabbiadini. Even someone like Austin would have been far better suited to RM's patient build up than Ralph's energetic press. He might even have finished off a bunch of the chances Adams spoons into the car park. I'm well aware of which managers were in which leagues and how they played with the players they had available. If I was offered a straight, 50:50 choice of who I'd want in charge next season, it'd be RM.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Get back to me when RM takes a side to the EFL Cup Final and accumulates enough points to comfortably maintain Saint's Prem status.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Red herring isn't perhaps the best choice of phrase, but I get the gist of what he's trying to say... It did become a bit of a 'poisoned chalice', or at least a distraction, in that we became content with a draw (when we could/should have won) because, "hallelujah", it protected our unbeaten run.... In other words, if we'd had a few more "WWL"s, rather than "DWD"s, during that unbeaten run we'd be in a better position than we are now...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Red herring isn't perhaps the best choice of phrase, but I get the gist of what he's trying to say... It did become a bit of a 'poisoned chalice', or at least a distraction, in that we became content with a draw (when we could/should have won) because, "hallelujah", it protected our unbeaten run.... In other words, if we'd had a few more "WWL"s, rather than "DWD"s, during that unbeaten run we'd be in a better position than we are now...

…And if my auntie I had balls… 😂

We absolutely drew more games this season than we should’ve, that’s what has ultimately cost our auto spot. 

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

…And if my auntie I had balls… 😂

We absolutely drew more games this season than we should’ve, that’s what has ultimately cost our auto spot. 

Glad to be in agreement ;)

6 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Get back to me when RM takes a side to the EFL Cup Final and accumulates enough points to comfortably maintain Saint's Prem status.   

If you're just going to judge managers based on numbers and tables, save money and dont bother watching the football. Most of my opinions come from what I see at St Mary's (or on TV). Taking such a simplistic view on things means that Puel (8th and a cup final) must be better than Poch (8th and no final). That isn't true.

If I had to choose a Saints manager since the ML takeover, based on my own opinion of what I've seen on the pitch it'd be:

1. Poch
  2. Koeman
  3. Ralph
  4. Adkins
  5. Pardew
  6. Martin
  7. Puel
  8. Hughes
  9. MoPe
  10. Jones
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you're just going to judge managers based on numbers and tables, save money and dont bother watching the football. Most of my opinions come from what I see at St Mary's (or on TV). Taking such a simplistic view on things means that Puel (8th and a cup final) must be better than Poch (8th and no final). That isn't true.

If I had to choose a Saints manager since the ML takeover, based on my own opinion of what I've seen on the pitch it'd be:

1. Poch
  2. Koeman
  3. Ralph
  4. Adkins
  5. Pardew
  6. Martin
  7. Puel
  8. Hughes
  9. MoPe
  10. Jones

Ralph over Adkins!? Agree to disagree 😉

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

1. Poch
  2. Koeman
  3. Ralph
  4. Adkins
  5. Pardew
  6. Martin
  7. Puel
  8. Hughes
  9. MoPe
  10. Jones

I completely agree; Poch was a much superior Manager/Coach than Puel.   I'm the last person to be influenced only by numbers and tables - they are nothing without the qualitative eye for what's happening on the field.  My opinions too come from watching on TV and my once-a-year trips home.

You were the one who cited points tallies, anomalies and historic table positions, not me.    The thing that is beyond dispute is that at this point - Claude Puel (whose Football style I disliked) has many more runs on the board than RM.   And if RM doesn't find a way to get Saints promoted from the lottery of the play offs, I doubt he will get the chance to match Puel's record.

For what it's worth, I agree with your 1 to 5 table of Managers - I'd have Puel ahead of Martin - otherwise, good call.

It has been a frustrating but overall I have enjoyed going this season more than many over the last 40 years of attendance, certainly more than recent years.

46 goals scored in 19 home games is not dull.

It's the hope that kills, the long unbeaten run gradually made me start to arrive at St Mary's confident. We forced ourselves into second, then instantly seemed to throw it away.

Personally enjoy the style of football, I like technical short passing style. Man City are the main other team I try to watch.

Sometimes we just lose the spark and the style looks too predictable. I wonder if this is just loss of form (which all styles suffer with).

I don't agree with every decision he makes.

I hope he is with us next season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Except that they don’t. Mainly one-paced which is ok for playing chess but not much good for getting the pulse racing.

You have misunderstood - my point is that Russell Martin came in and said that he wants his team to dominate possession and play in the the style that he coaches. He managed to do that quickly, even inheriting a team that for the last 3 or 4 years were almost entirely focused on an out of possession style.

That was evident from the first game against Sheffield Wednesday and pretty much every game since. Even vs Liverpool at Anfield you could see it was a team playing the way he wants and has coached.

Many managers talk the talk about how their team plays and then performances don't match with what they say.

The one thing RM has consistently showed at all his teams is that he can quickly and effectively get a team playing the way he wants them to.

That skillset is quite valuable when it comes to recruiting a manager as any prospective club knows what they are going to get vs say a Nathan Jones where for all the chat he couldnt show any specific style of play on the pitch.

You may not like the style, but he is very good at getting his teams to play it.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1