Russell Martin

LegalEagle

And did Russ really say that AA had been pestering him to play as Centre Forward so he thought he'd give him another go? Sounds like Under 8's football when kids 'bagsy' positions.

While I wasn't one of those booing Russ when he came over at the end, I certainly wasn't going to clap him either. That was a long schlep for one of the most uninspired performances of the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

And did Russ really say that AA had been pestering him to play as Centre Forward so he thought he'd give him another go? Sounds like Under 8's football when kids 'bagsy' positions.

While I wasn't one of those booing Russ when he came over at the end, I certainly wasn't going to clap him either. That was a long schlep for one of the most uninspired performances of the season. 

I mis-read that as 'insipid' but actually either works.

• Like 1

Sorry but when he starts referring to Stephens as "an incredible footballer" as he did to The Echo and talking about teams playing four centre backs then I'm done with him.

He's single handedly screwed up automatic promotion by forcing players into positions they arent suited to (and I dont just mean Capt Jack, there's Samllbone and Rothwell to name but two) then refuses to go back to the main line-up and system that scored us a 25 game unbeaten run! Incredible!!

The arrogant twat can do one and take his propoganbda football with him !

• Like 12

15 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Get Cooper in ASAP 

SR* are unlikely to make such a bold move, or gamble.

* wonder who the decision makers will be with Willcox going/gone. No confidence if it’s still with Rasmus to get it right. 

Feel a bit sorry for RM and some of the criticism coming his way now. For me the two biggest failings have been GK and striker where he inherited Bazunu and has not been given a fit striker since arriving. (How instrumental he was in pushing for Stewart we don’t know).

But recent performances and especially selections remain on him and are difficult to justify. 

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I heard this on Solent, and seems poor management.

Tessem made the point that Armstrong has scored 20 goals from a wide position and been one of our most effective players. Quite simply, Martin should have pointed that out to the player, emphasised his importance and left him playing there. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Feel a bit sorry for RM and some of the criticism coming his way now. For me the two biggest failings have been GK and striker where he inherited Bazunu and has not been given a fit striker since arriving. (How instrumental he was in pushing for Stewart we don’t know).

But recent performances and especially selections remain on him and are difficult to justify. 

Agree with you Badger.    Those " recent performances " include shorter spells without Downes (at first), then Fraser and Walker-Peters and (sadly) Che Adams'

inability to convert chances when it was easier to score than miss, and then yesterday without the very influential Stuart Armstrong.  We also came up against

a " beefy side " , not afraid to put the boot in , and a referee who let too much go unpunished.  Once again our " lightweight squad " took a lot of stick, and

I'm wondering what the injury tally may be like for the Tuesday game v. Coventry (another side with some " tough individuals"  in it.

YES - we got a clean sheet for once  (the 11th of the season) yet failed to find a winner.  Now some will blame Adam Armstrong - who has already clocked up

20 goals this season - ( last person to achieve that was Danny Ings ).  With Adams' dip in form, the remainder of the strike force just can't make up the shortfall.

No-one that I have read has suggested that RM insisted on buying Ross Stewart, (a player also mentioned last season before RM arrived), and was still "recovering" 

when Stewart was signed by the club in late August.  Most managers wouldn't refuse to have a 6' 2" striker in their line-up , and so I doubt that RM refused the offer.

it's down to the scouting staff and D.O. F. to decide on who we can afford.   (With hindsight I wonder if he would have approved Shea Charles' signing ? )

I find it impossible to follow the logic of certain people on this site, who still criticised RM and all concerned after we had passed 24 unbeaten games and

then put 5 goals past Huddersfield.   Already some people are demanding " a house-cleaning" because we haven't achieved an automatic promotion place. 

Quite frankly ...after last season's finish and the subsequent player sales that followed,  I'm pleasantly surprised that we are doing so well in the top half. 

• Like 3

He is a bit David Brent at times, only less entertaining, it’s just the “trying to please everyone and be everyone’s mate”.

That doesn’t work in football.

He hasn’t done a bad job. Anyone calling for him to be sacked give your head a wobble. He isn’t going anywhere at this time. But he needs to help himself, that’s the main thing at the moment is that a lot of things that have happened have been self inflicted.

• Like 1

Our failing this season is that we didn’t buy a fit competent striker. That has been our downfall.

Look at the amount of draws we’ve had, think how many times we should’ve put those games to bed.

RM’s tactics albeit questionable at times, wouldn’t even be questioned had the board bought a competent striker that could score regularly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Didn’t he say he’d buy Baz if he wasn’t already here. It’s a bit of a stretch to imply Baz in nets is something he inherited. He’s 100% onboard the Baz bus, & could have binned him if he wanted. As for striker, there’s plenty of managers who’d get a tune out of Che Adams in this league. The fact he appears to be even worse this season is down to the manager & his coaching staff. I don’t feel sorry for him at all, the arrogant twat is getting all the stick he deserves. This ain’t ending well imo. 

• Like 9

16 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Absolute codswallop. He is a centre back and is not a natural midfielder. The whole balance of the midfield is upset when he moves into midfield, cramping the games of Downes and Aribo. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Didn’t he say he’d buy Baz if he wasn’t already here. It’s a bit of a stretch to imply Baz in nets is something he inherited. He’s 100% onboard the Baz bus, & could have binned him if he wanted. As for striker, there’s plenty of managers who’d get a tune out of Che Adams in this league. The fact he appears to be even worse this season is down to the manager & his coaching staff. I don’t feel sorry for him at all, the arrogant twat is getting all the stick he deserves. This ain’t ending well imo. 

Not an ounce of sympathy does he deserve. All the issues are self inflicted. Making Stephens captain so he then has to play him, despite the team being pretty well balanced and in the main doing ok without him. Making Baz undroppable by stating he will be the best keeper in the league. Questionable team selections on top of a bizarre fetish about possession. If we don't go up via the play-offs it could turn nasty for him. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Absolute codswallop. He is a centre back and is not a natural midfielder. The whole balance of the midfield is upset when he moves into midfield, cramping the games of Downes and Aribo. 

Its total crap, the guy is the third best centre back at the club and therefore should only be starting matches if JB or THB aren’t fit or suspended.

• Like 8

It’s weird, I’ve got to the point where I’m kind of hoping either Stephens, Bednarek or Harwood-Bellis get a knock so Martin is almost forced to stop this Pep/Stones nonsense. 

But he’ll probably do it with someone else. 

• Like 2

Russell Martin is exactly what we were told he was. An average coach who has an obsession with playing a certain style with a zeal that borders on mental illness. 

I got plenty of abuse over not embracing his style and personality. Even during our unbeaten streak I was never convinced. As a coach his style doesn't suit our budget so had we gotten promoted we would get slaughtered. I don't think we will win in the play off's and I think RM has had Saints under perform massively. 

It was cursed to fail as soon as he was chosen. So far the season highlight has been Gio's freak out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not an ounce of sympathy does he deserve. All the issues are self inflicted. Making Stephens captain so he then has to play him, despite the team being pretty well balanced and in the main doing ok without him. Making Baz undroppable by stating he will be the best keeper in the league. Questionable team selections on top of a bizarre fetish about possession. If we don't go up via the play-offs it could turn nasty for him. 

JWP left the club after the first game (Sheff.Wed.) and so by whatever measure you use Jack Stephens was the senior player in the club, and with RM

newly-arrived in the club, Jack was his most obvious candidate after Prowsey left.     Given the situation who would you have chosen?

Jack arrived aged 16 and played his way through the Academy and became captin for the U23's (as they were then). 

With a backline of Fonte and van Dijk (understandably) .. he rarely got many games, but when (Puel) let Fonte leave, and VvD was injured  shortly afterwards.

Jack had a tough intro. to the side when found himself partnered with Yoshida - who himself was not a first choice CB.    He weathered the storm and

eventually became a first team regular and played the first 4 (undefeated games) this season, but was badly injured in QPR (h) game.

His replacement (Holgate) did nothing to improve the defence which only stabilised after Harwood-Bellis arrived and partnered Bednarek, who was repatriated

after his acrimonious lean spell with Villa.   Most of us would agree that THB and JB are the best CB pairing, but Jack is too valuable an asset to totally leave out.

As a captain, he is a voice to be heard( and not ignored) on the pitch, and to criticise his forays upfield is to ignore that KWP (on the right) spends much of his 

time in the opponents half.   He's not the best CB we've ever had, but his commitment to the club goes without question, or would you prefer Manning at LB ?

• Like 3

Just now, david in sweden said:

JWP left the club after the first game (Sheff.Wed.) and so by whatever measure you use Jack Stephens was the senior player in the club, and with RM

newly-arrived in the club, Jack was his most obvious candidate after Prowsey left.     Given the situation who would you have chosen?

Jack arrived aged 16 and played his way through the Academy and became captin for the U23's (as they were then). 

With a backline of Fonte and van Dijk (understandably) .. he rarely got many games, but when (Puel) let Fonte leave, and VvD was injured  shortly afterwards.

Jack had a tough intro. to the side when found himself partnered with Yoshida - who himself was not a first choice CB.    He weathered the storm and

eventually became a first team regular and played the first 4 (undefeated games) this season, but was badly injured in QPR (h) game.

His replacement (Holgate) did nothing to improve the defence which only stabilised after Harwood-Bellis arrived and partnered Bednarek, who was repatriated

after his acrimonious lean spell with Villa.   Most of us would agree that THB and JB are the best CB pairing, but Jack is too valuable an asset to totally leave out.

As a captain, he is a voice to be heard( and not ignored) on the pitch, and to criticise his forays upfield is to ignore that KWP (on the right) spends much of his 

time in the opponents half.   He's not the best CB we've ever had, but his commitment to the club goes without question, or would you prefer Manning at LB ?

Just because you are the longest serving member of a squad doesn't automatically entitle you to be a captain. I find it staggering you call him a valuable assest to be honest. And yes, I would rather have Manning playing at full back, he might not be the greatest, but at least its a position he is familiar with.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Appy said:

It’s weird, I’ve got to the point where I’m kind of hoping either Stephens, Bednarek or Harwood-Bellis get a knock so Martin is almost forced to stop this Pep/Stones nonsense. 

But he’ll probably do it with someone else. 

Agree. Stephens early season injury was probably the best thing that could have happened for our league position.

People have really been wound up by Martin, outside of his performance, haven't they? If this was Adkins he'd be getting far more leeway (and to be fair we were 1 point better off with the same amount of games and a much better team under Adkins, and the next game we lost 3-0 away at Blackpool!). 

I think it's this perceived arrogance. Personally I don't find him that way at all, but I guess each to their own. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He is a bit David Brent at times, only less entertaining, it’s just the “trying to please everyone and be everyone’s mate”.

That doesn’t work in football.

He hasn’t done a bad job. Anyone calling for him to be sacked give your head a wobble. He isn’t going anywhere at this time. But he needs to help himself, that’s the main thing at the moment is that a lot of things that have happened have been self inflicted.

Exactly right!

The problem for him is that this season may have been his big and possibly only chance to become a PL manager. Arguably he had at his disposal one of the best squads of players in the division if not the best. Next season half of that squad will not be here as they explore other options. He will likely end up with a bunch of plodding journeymen and a clutch of youngsters who are no further forward in their career development than they were this time last year due to lack of opportunities under Martin.

On that basis his team might struggle next season to feature in the top six at all especially if transfer money is tight and we cannot replace adequately the star players that won't be here. If he can't get us into the PL this season or next then his days will be numbered and quite rightly so.

• Like 4

There is no plan B 🙂

From 2021:

"We have a Plan A because we really believe in it. There’s going to be pain, because it’s a big change and a lot of the players haven’t played this way before, but if we really believe in it and enjoy the process, let’s stick with it.

I said that if I get sacked at least I will do it doing it my way and I’ll be comfortable with that. Plan B suggests doing it completely differently. If you watch our team, we tweak it all the time - we change the formation, we change the way we do things in certain games depending on the opposition - but we are passing the ball a lot, we are trying to dominate possession."

Martin seems to be casting around for solutions. We've had games where we create a lot, but don't finish. Behind the surface stats, we see opponents get lots of time to reset, impacting the quality of our attacking play. We still get chances, but can we be making better ones.

We struggle to change tempo, to change possession into sustained attack. We struggle to have clear directions in play, with players interchanging to do lots of good build up and control, while not being able to anticipate or be well placed to get on the end of it.

And Martin is fine with the basics of that, saying "“For us, it is about taking as much fight out of the game as we can and controlling it with the football.”

We've got the control, but the fight goes out the team with it. We work hard, and we've worked to the last minute and had some success when we've needed it. But all too often, we've not turned control into outcomes at key points in the game, where there is an element of emotion and momentum. We reset, forgetting that there's often a reduced risk in putting rattled opponents out of the game. You can still control and press an advantage.

So we've seen Stephens getting an expanded role; Or trying to unlock Sule, or try 3 mobile attackers, or a more physical side. And variations between. Martin hasn't stuck with any of it, except having Stephens involved.

We had one player early in the season saying what a change it was to have to relearn everything. But Brooks and Rothwell get dropped in. Often alongside the weaker links in his system.

We've got players good a lots of things, but not quite enough of them to really unlock what Martin is looking for.

Other managers play to the strengths they have. Often, they've no resources to do anything else. We're well down the path, with many of the same issues.

One problem is that it's probably beyond teams at our level to be well stocked with such all rounders. Unless we go up, Martin will know he's failed to find a consistent solution, with the best squad he's had by a mile.

Next season, he'll be following Plan A with a number of new faces. With a 2 year tenure being the average in this league, he'll really have to get it clicking enough for another promotion push.

4 hours ago, LGTL said:

Agree. Stephens early season injury was probably the best thing that could have happened for our league position.

Jack played in our first four games when I think we were unbeaten after his injury we lost the next four games so perhaps if had been playing in them   we may have have done better and got a few points 

He has been good player for us over a number of years so I doubt Jack is reason we are not in the automatic promotion positions 

Not having a reliable GK  a consistent scoring CF and the lack of a consistent creative player are in my opinion more likely reasons

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Our failing this season is that we didn’t buy a fit competent striker. That has been our downfall.

Look at the amount of draws we’ve had, think how many times we should’ve put those games to bed.

RM’s tactics albeit questionable at times, wouldn’t even be questioned had the board bought a competent striker that could score regularly.

We’ve scored plenty of goals this season, our problem has been keeping them out the other end. If we knew how to keep a clean sheet and close out a tight game we’d still easily be mixing it at the top, despite the missed chances 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The perfect picture for the situation we are in

image.thumb.png.0cae828c34269b04f51bde1a3a8b2582.png

Appreciate you offering to drive to Fratton Park next season Jack, I didn't really fancy risking my motor down there.

He seems to be drifting further away rather than closer to achieving the balanced team. After defeat to Bristol City he seemed to get the tactics spot on against WBA. Since then we have been poor. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

He seems to be drifting further away rather than closer to achieving the balanced team. After defeat to Bristol City he seemed to get the tactics spot on against WBA. Since then we have been poor. 

This entirely.

Three home games in a row coming up. Win all three and suddenly everyone will be “Martin In” again.

Pressure is fully on him to get a tune out of these players, and the only way he does that is to play with a settled team. 
It really isn’t difficult to play a CB at CB and a FB at FB etc. 

He’s only inviting pressure on himself.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, John B said:

Jack played in our first four games when I think we were unbeaten after his injury we lost the next four games so perhaps if had been playing in them   we may have have done better and got a few points 

He has been good player for us over a number of years so I doubt Jack is reason we are not in the automatic promotion positions 

Not having a reliable GK  a consistent scoring CF and the lack of a consistent creative player are in my opinion more likely reasons

He played as one of two CBs in those games, before THB got game time.

Now he's a third wheel and it isn't working.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Sorry but when he starts referring to Stephens as "an incredible footballer" as he did to The Echo and talking about teams playing four centre backs then I'm done with him.

He's single handedly screwed up automatic promotion by forcing players into positions they arent suited to (and I dont just mean Capt Jack, there's Samllbone and Rothwell to name but two) then refuses to go back to the main line-up and system that scored us a 25 game unbeaten run! Incredible!!

The arrogant twat can do one and take his propoganbda football with him !

Loved GS 👍

20 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I can’t blame him for this, che has been very wasteful and in general we have a load of exciting wide players but no clinical strikers 

Adams is super wasteful and we all know this so it’s a bit unfair to bash him for trying something else 

• Haha 2

If RM can't get us promoted this season with this squad, he ain't going to get us promoted next season with a what will almost certainly be a weaker squad. And with no D of F anymore to scout for new managing talent, Rasmus no doubt be in charge sprinkling his magic!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With better in-game management and team selection the last 3 games could and should have yielded 9 points and we'd have been right in the mix for one of the automatic promotion spots.  That we're not is mainly down to RM's decision making and inabilty to  make tactical changes during games for me. Once again, as others falter we have missed the golden chance to take advantage. 

• Like 19

45 minutes ago, saintant said:

With better in-game management and team selection the last 3 games could and should have yielded 9 points and we'd have been right in the mix for one of the automatic promotion spots.  That we're not is mainly down to RM's decision making and inabilty to  make tactical changes during games for me. Once again, as others falter we have missed the golden chance to take advantage. 

Yes indeed. In the past few games he has demonstrated his shortcomings.

• Like 3

I wonder if RM knows his position isn’t secure if we don’t go up? A couple of comments in today’s press conference made me wonder - the bit about Coventry giving Mark Robbins time, was that a dig/reminder? and the bit about “when I go the clubs structure is sound” or words to that effect.

16 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I wonder if RM knows his position isn’t secure if we don’t go up? A couple of comments in today’s press conference made me wonder - the bit about Coventry giving Mark Robbins time, was that a dig/reminder? and the bit about “when I go the clubs structure is sound” or words to that effect.

He made a point of championing his time here. I had the same thought as you, more so given Wilcox has gone

• Like 1

I feel like we're in a similar situation to when Puel was manager. Our league position was good but it was clear as day that we should be doing better with the squad we had and the football was boring to watch. The manager was what was holding us back with his strange antics and its exactly the same with RM. I could spend all day writing about how much his management irritates me, but beyond everything else its the way our team are playing so casually. We could be in the autos now - none of our players except Downes and Bednarek look like they are playing anything but a casual kick about in the park. The ONLY person that can change that mentality is RM and I have zero confidence that he can. He treats everyone like they're his best mate and I think we'd be much better off at the moment with a Big Sam sort of manager who would be giving a few of our players a massive kick up the arse. 

There has never been a manager at SFC that has caused me to cringe so much in press conferences - I literally can't watch them anymore. I'm sure I'm old fashioned in some ways, but is this really how wet things have become? He's SO sensitive and goes on and on about each of the players as if they're 8 years old and in need of a confidence boost. Sometimes he starts getting protective before he's even been asked the full question and ends up answering something that he's not even been asked. Drives me insane. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Saw someone describe Martin's style as propaganda football, as in "All possession with no penetration. Basically just propaganda football" and i can't think of a better description.

That might have been me quoting Gordon Strachan 🤣

• Like 3

With Wilcox off to Man Utd, RM probably thinks he's in line for the Man Utd job once Ten Hag goes, hence his comments. He's certainly seems arrogant enough to think that. "The Next Pep".

Personally I wouldn't be disappointed if he does leave - only my opinion, but I don't like his "tippy tappy" boring style. His arrogant nature, to me anyway, doesn't suit the Southampton way. I admit, I was never a great fan of Steve Cooper at Forest, but the more I think about it, I believe he would be a really good fit at Southampton. He has proved himself in this league, gets the players and supporters on his side, seems tactically astute, plays a more direct and to me, exciting style, works well with the youngsters and doesn't come across as too arrogant and, at the same time, seems a genuine and quite humble guy and for me, more suited to "the Southampton way". To be honest I think Forest pulled the trigger too early with him and may live to regret it. Anyway, that's my thought for the day....he said, waiting to be shot down in flames.    

• Like 4

The tendency now is for every manager/coach to have to overthink/over okay everything.  Working day and night to fix things.  Why? Is no-one efficient and effective any more? Working long hours is going to lead to overthinking and mistakes. It's a simple game overcomplicated by xG, duels, low blocks and other total bollocks.  

On another note, was watching a bit of Wolsfburg v Mönchengladbach and they were saying how Wolfsburg had really dropped a level in the second half, and looked unlikely to score whilst BM equalised and ended up winning 1-3.  Ralph up to Ralph things.  Another manager who worked long hours and was a tinkerer.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thesaint sfc said:

I feel like we're in a similar situation to when Puel was manager. Our league position was good but it was clear as day that we should be doing better with the squad we had and the football was boring to watch. The manager was what was holding us back with his strange antics and its exactly the same with RM. I could spend all day writing about how much his management irritates me, but beyond everything else its the way our team are playing so casually. We could be in the autos now - none of our players except Downes and Bednarek look like they are playing anything but a casual kick about in the park. The ONLY person that can change that mentality is RM and I have zero confidence that he can. He treats everyone like they're his best mate and I think we'd be much better off at the moment with a Big Sam sort of manager who would be giving a few of our players a massive kick up the arse. 

There has never been a manager at SFC that has caused me to cringe so much in press conferences - I literally can't watch them anymore. I'm sure I'm old fashioned in some ways, but is this really how wet things have become? He's SO sensitive and goes on and on about each of the players as if they're 8 years old and in need of a confidence boost. Sometimes he starts getting protective before he's even been asked the full question and ends up answering something that he's not even been asked. Drives me insane. 

WTF? 8th placed and a cup final was one of the top 5 season in our history in terms of finishes. How much better should we be doing than that? The squad we had significantly weaker than the one of the previous season, Mane and Pelle responsible for over thirty goals the season before were replaced by Austin, Boufal and Redmond, Wanyama was replaced by Hojbjerg and Fonte and Van Dijk missed half the season without being replaced. Plus there was the additional fixtures in the Europa league to contend with. 

By contrast Martin has one of if not they best squads in the division. He absolutely should be doing much better

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

WTF? 8th placed and a cup final was one of the top 5 season in our history in terms of finishes. How much better should we be doing than that? The squad we had significantly weaker than the one of the previous season, Mane and Pelle responsible for over thirty goals the season before were replaced by Austin, Boufal and Redmond, Wanyama was replaced by Hojbjerg and Fonte and Van Dijk missed half the season without being replaced. Plus there was the additional fixtures in the Europa league to contend with. 

By contrast Martin has one of if not they best squads in the division. He absolutely should be doing much better

Best squad?? Really?  Many on here are happy to slam: Baz, Janny, Manning, Smallbone, Aribo, AA, Che, Edozie, Rothwell, Shea the list goes on. 

At the start of this season you thought a spot in the play offs would be a good result for us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Best squad?? Really?  Many on here are happy to slam: Baz, Janny, Manning, Smallbone, Aribo, AA, Che, Edozie, Rothwell, Shea the list goes on. 

At the start of this season you thought a spot in the play offs would be a good result for us. 

Then you have low expectations to be fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Not that old bollocks again. 8th and a Cup Final 😩