Weirdest Manager Decisions thread

thesaint sfc

What are some totally bizarre decisions you've seen over the years? 

It's always amazed me that more wasn't said about Leon Best scoring an own goal in our Championship playoff game against Derby and then being asked to be the first penalty taker which, obviously, he completely missed. Burley really did make a number of completely weird and probably alcohol infused decisions. 

Great video for anyone wanting to reminisce - bloody amazing game - 

Edited by thesaint sfc

6 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Puel not picking his strongest team for the Europa run

Yep, I still reckon the fact Fonte never got a look in was intended to punish him for speaking out about wanting a better contract post Euro 2016. Sort of thing that prick Les Reed would have done.

4 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Burley dropping Rasiak 

I too thought Rasiak didn’t feature much under Burley but having looked at his stats on soccer base it seems he played pretty much every game. You know who else played every game that shouldn’t have? That fucking sack of shit Jermaine Wright. Mr undroppable despite being utter crap.

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Recency bias, but playing Elyounoussi every single week despite him contributing absolutely nothing going forward, which you kind of need an attacker to do to win matches.

Funnily enough saw this on twitter not long ago…

IMG_0861.png

Edited by bpsaint
  • Haha 10

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Does it have to be Saints related?

Spurs being two men down and playing such a high line on Monday night. Was like watching the NFL with the long diagonal ball played every minute.

Nearly paid off though, if Dier's goal counted it would have been interesting.

I remember being so upset by Koeman's team selections for the Europa qualifiers vs Midtjylland, especially the away tie where we went out with a whimper.

In hindsight the first one wasn't too bad (JWP and JRod starting over Tadic and Davis). But the second game with a back three/five with Targett and Martina as wingbacks, while leaving Tadic on the bench until the hour mark when we switched to a back four, and not playing Mane or Wanyama at all, was shite.

It hurt a bit more at a time because it had been so long since we had European football and it might be a long while until we got so close again. As it turns out we made the group stages the next year and all was (mostly) forgiven.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

I remember being so upset by Koeman's team selections for the Europa qualifiers vs Midtjylland, especially the away tie where we went out with a whimper.

In hindsight the first one wasn't too bad (JWP and JRod starting over Tadic and Davis). But the second game with a back three/five with Targett and Martina as wingbacks, while leaving Tadic on the bench until the hour mark when we switched to a back four, and not playing Mane or Wanyama at all, was shite.

It hurt a bit more at a time because it had been so long since we had European football and it might be a long while until we got so close again. As it turns out we made the group stages the next year and all was (mostly) forgiven.

The away game tactically was very odd as out of nowhere we started hoofing it long ball that Jones would have been proud of! We we’re terrible 

3 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

I think Mane was injured but agree with the rest of the post. Was very deflating stood in the away end watching that, same as Prague which was a very limp performance.

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I think Mane was injured but agree with the rest of the post. Was very deflating stood in the away end watching that, same as Prague which was a very limp performance.

I thought Wanyama had spat his dummy out before the game as well as he was trying to force a move, could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Pochettino’s team selection against Sunderland in the fa cup.

One of my least favourite away days ever.

12.45pm kickoff. Think we left Southampton at 3 or 4am, as we decided we wanted maximum beer time beforehand.

Found Sunderland to be a grey, drab shithole; the only place open was Spoons. Then we had to endure one of the worst performances under Poch.

Mates got so smashed beforehand that after the match they went for 'a nap' so that we could head out in the evening. They never emerged from the hotel room.

Drove home in silence on the Sunday.

• Sad 1