Catching Leicester

Barsiem

25 minutes ago, Lymington Saint said:

So given that we aren't going to finish top 2, who do we want to finish 3rd?  i.e. assuming that we don't mess up the play-off semis (big if given our current collapse in form). then who do we want to play at Wembley.  My view is that our best chance is if Ipswich finish 3rd - even though we have lost to them twice this season.  

We wont finish third, no way. 4th (or 5th) is probably best in so far as 3rd play 6th, and 6th placed teams are usually on a roll having put together a run of form to secure that last spot.

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I hope Leicester blow it, as I think we could beat them in the playoffs on this showing.

I don't think we'd even meet them in the playoffs at this rate, Norwich will turn them over!

On 06/04/2024 at 12:00, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ok so, for absolutely no other reason, other than my wife takes ages to get ready to go out, here's what I've come up with for the remaining fixtures this season for the top four:
Ipswich: Currently 87 points, prediction 101 points
A Norwich - 1 point
H Watford - 3 points
H Middlesbrough - 3 points
A Hull - 1 point
A Coventry - 3 points
H Huddersfield - 3 points

Leeds: Currently 86 points, prediction 102 points
A Coventry - 1 point
H Sunderland - 3 points
H Blackburn - 3 points
A Middlesbrough - 3 points
A QPR - 3 points
H Southampton - 3 points

Leicester: Currently 85 points, prediction 102 points
H Birmingham - 3 points
A Millwall - 3 points
A Plymouth - 3 points
H West Brom - 1 point
H Southampton - 3 points
A Preston - 1 point
H Blackburn - 3 points

Southampton: currently 74 points, prediction 88 points
A Blackburn - 3 points
H Coventry - 1 point
H Watford - 3 points
H Preston - 1 point
A Cardiff - 3 points
A Leicester - 0 points
H Stoke - 3 points
A Leeds - 0 points

We've all known for some time that we are massively cut adrift from everyone else now. The race for the top three will be an incredible watch.
Anyone that is clinging on hope of a chance for the top two is truly deluded.
As Russell Martin has said "It can be an exciting end to the season" - for three teams.

Well my predictions have already gone wrong. The Championship eh! 😅

This season is such a cock tease. Win our two games in hand and we will be 4 points off top with 4 games left. 

It's not going to happen, but I wish the top two would just properly pull away rather than dangling it in front of our faces and snatching it away over and over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

This season is such a cock tease. Win our two games in hand and we will be 4 points off top with 4 games left. 

It's not going to happen, but I wish the top two would just properly pull away rather than dangling it in front of our faces and snatching it away over and over. 

You've put my thoughts into words beautifully. The analogy of being teased is so accurate!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I hope Leicester blow it, as I think we could beat them in the playoffs on this showing.

We don’t want Leicester in playoffs, Vardy will have a field day sprinting away down our open flanks, but to be fair Leeds or Ipswich would too

16 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Eek, that's an embarrassing post isn't it? Loving the "truly deluded" part. 

It is deluded.

Leicester losing doesn't get us any closer to finishing top two than we were before last night's match kicked off.

There's a three way fight for top two and we're not in it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I believe it's known as 'edging'.

• Haha 2

I’m gonna choose to be optimistic and dream of autos , because to me that’s what footy is about. Chasing the impossible dream until it’s mathematically done. 

In reality I think you can stick a fork in us, and I don’t really want to go up anyway. But I’m just imagining the scenes at Elland Road when we clinch 2nd on the final day with a Che adams tap in 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It is deluded.

Leicester losing doesn't get us any closer to finishing top two than we were before last night's match kicked off.

There's a three way fight for top two and we're not in it.

It's unlikely, but it's less unlikely than it was 24 hours ago.

Deluded is believing something that is factually untrue - like someone believing in a God, or Father Christmas, or that leaving the EU was a good idea. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Deluded is believing something that is factually untrue - like someone believing in a God, or Father Christmas, or that leaving the EU was a good idea. 

we have not got winning 6 in a row in us...did we even manage 5 in a row during the glorious unbeaten run?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

How many points behind the automatic places were we at 7pm last night?

And how far away are we now?

Your definition of deluded is pretty off as well. It just means having a false belief, and you don't need another party to delude you, you can delude yourself no problem. As you are doing.

Like Santa or Jesus or Brexit, it can be a comfort, so I bless you for it 🙏

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Badger said:

2881278B-EF08-4BD7-80EF-47887C6373D2.thumb.jpeg.c2d9d66e3b9b80e014460014abec0dd9.jpeg

Enzo less popular there than RM with us at the moment it seems. ( Taken last night). 

Modern football in a nutshell. Were football fans always this fickle? I swear it's got worse even in my 20 years of following. Can one of the more seasoned members confirm whether this culture of demanding the manager goes as soon as a bad run hits has always existed?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Modern football in a nutshell. Were football fans always this fickle? I swear it's got worse even in my 20 years of following. Can one of the more seasoned members confirm whether this culture of demanding the manager goes as soon as a bad run hits has always existed?

Just gone onto the Leicester facebook page from Enzo's interview....

"No Plan B" "Has he gone yet?" "Every team knows how we play" - All sounds very familiar. Still no "Do the right thing and resign" though, that's always my personal favourite any time fans turn on a manager.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

2881278B-EF08-4BD7-80EF-47887C6373D2.thumb.jpeg.c2d9d66e3b9b80e014460014abec0dd9.jpeg

Enzo less popular there than RM with us at the moment it seems. ( Taken last night). 

They've been after him for weeks and weeks, back at Christmas or just after their manager bit back at the fans who started booing the team.

I reckon he'll walk at the end of the season either way.

In a snap shot you look at them still top of the league and think the criticism looks bizarre, but the way they have collapsed is unacceptable really and questions should be being asked. I watched them last night and they bored the shit out of me, quite similar to us at our worst in that sense - lots of aimless passing without any speed to it. The game at the King Power should be a game for the record books. (highest percentage of ball passed between the CB's)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No, not on the same scale by any means.

Lawrie for example faced some flak walking to the dug out after relegation and a poor faltering start to life in Division 2. But that was on match days  from a minority . Chris Nichol the same. Neither though had to contend with the hysteria that is now built up by social media 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Lawrie for example faced some flak walking to the dug out after relegation and a poor faltering start to life in Division 2. But that was on match days  from a minority . Chris Nichol the same. Neither though had to contend with the hysteria that is now built up by social media 

Oh did Chris Nichol start badly? I knew about Lawrie but I'd always been under the impression he hit the ground running quickly.

No CN’s start was as I recall pretty average, but that was expected after Lawrie left and fans were quite supportive of him ( and the challenge he faced ) 
His problems were a year or so later when he had a fall out with Mark Dennis, then again during a 20 or so game run without a win 88/89 I think (but would have to check). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think that's also the reason why modern fans can't seem to critisise a manager without resorting to lazy clown emojis or personal attacks on them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No, not at all, it’s coincided with the formation of the premier league and money coming into the game - football as leisure commodity / entertainment. As Badger says above fans would have a moan of course, they did with LM and CN, but it was about support through thick and thin to a large extent. First real concerted pressure applied from saints fans in my time was Branfoot and that was deserved. FWIW I think our fanbase is more reasonable in expectation than the vast majority of comparative clubs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

No, not at all, it’s coincided with the formation of the premier league and money coming into the game - football as leisure commodity / entertainment. As Badger says above fans would have a moan of course, they did with LM and CN, but it was about support through thick and thin to a large extent. First real concerted pressure applied from saints fans in my time was Branfoot and that was deserved. FWIW I think our fanbase is more reasonable in expectation than the vast majority of comparative clubs.

Like I said, I'm sure it's got much worse in my time and tbf I was born in 91 so a year before the PL started but even since I've been following it's got worse. Ie I think the majority wanted George Burley gone when we "let" him take the Scotland job but I don't remember there being personal attacks on him and I seem to remember a lot of people started to want him gone after A LOT of mistakes. And I do mean a lot and even then it was more a "Thanks for everything but I think it's time for a change" rather than "OMG HE'S A CLOWN FOR MAKING THAT SUB, I'M GONNA BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN, HE NEEDS TO GO NOW" etc

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Like I said, I'm sure it's got much worse in my time and tbf I was born in 91 so a year before the PL started but even since I've been following it's got worse. Ie I think the majority wanted George Burley gone when we "let" him take the Scotland job but I don't remember there being personal attacks on him and I seem to remember a lot of people started to want him gone after A LOT of mistakes. And I do mean a lot and even then it was more a "Thanks for everything but I think it's time for a change" rather than "OMG HE'S A CLOWN FOR MAKING THAT SUB, I'M GONNA BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN, HE NEEDS TO GO NOW" etc

The tone has definitely gone down since the Internet took off across society. It's always a red flag when people make it personal rather than talking about the behaviour that they don't like. It's possible to disagree with a decision someone has made without attacking them as a human being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

How many points behind the automatic places were we at 7pm last night?

And how far away are we now?

Your definition of deluded is pretty off as well. It just means having a false belief, and you don't need another party to delude you, you can delude yourself no problem. As you are doing.

Like Santa or Jesus or Brexit, it can be a comfort, so I bless you for it 🙏

I guess it just depends on how you define it - you use your definition and I'll use Oxford's:

Screenshot_20240413_141446.jpg

On 06/04/2024 at 12:00, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ok so, for absolutely no other reason, other than my wife takes ages to get ready to go out, here's what I've come up with for the remaining fixtures this season for the top four:
Ipswich: Currently 87 points, prediction 101 points
A Norwich - 1 point
H Watford - 3 points
H Middlesbrough - 3 points
A Hull - 1 point
A Coventry - 3 points
H Huddersfield - 3 points

Leeds: Currently 86 points, prediction 102 points
A Coventry - 1 point
H Sunderland - 3 points
H Blackburn - 3 points
A Middlesbrough - 3 points
A QPR - 3 points
H Southampton - 3 points

Leicester: Currently 85 points, prediction 102 points
H Birmingham - 3 points
A Millwall - 3 points
A Plymouth - 3 points
H West Brom - 1 point
H Southampton - 3 points
A Preston - 1 point
H Blackburn - 3 points

Southampton: currently 74 points, prediction 88 points
A Blackburn - 3 points
H Coventry - 1 point
H Watford - 3 points
H Preston - 1 point
A Cardiff - 3 points
A Leicester - 0 points
H Stoke - 3 points
A Leeds - 0 points

My predictions continue to impress! 😂

Turns out they only come off when I put money on horses 😂

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

My predictions continue to impress! 😂

Turns out they only come off when I put money on horses 😂

Tbf, I do like that you're continuing to criticise your predictions, makes me chuckle - fair play. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

No, not at all, it’s coincided with the formation of the premier league.. ..  First real concerted pressure applied from saints fans in my time was Branfoot and that was deserved. FWIW I think our fanbase is more reasonable in expectation than the vast majority of comparative clubs.

True that it has coincided with the Premier League and untold greed that goes with it but I think the internet has been the big change in how matters are communicated,built up, and then things organised around .

Interesting you mention Branfoot, and you’re right that he was the first Saints manager to be subject to a bit of a campaign. 

Although Fanzines started towards the end of Chris Nichol’s time and he came under a bit of scrutiny it seemed lighthearted as the fanzines were just finding their feet, perhaps nervous in gradually exploring how far they could push boundaries.

Branfoot was the first manager (of ours anyway) to be featured and vilified by the fanzines and I think this made a huge difference in the feelings and eventual ‘campaign’ against him. 

Edited by Badger

20 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

charlie brown lucy GIF by Maudit

• Haha 2

What a weird end to the season. The Top 3 have certainly choked, but so have we in recent weeks - that's why even after they're all choking, we're still playing catch up.

My feeling is that we still have way too much to do. The teams above us have been shit for weeks and whilst we have caught up a little bit, we are still some way behind. We need to win every one of our games, I'd say 95/96 points is looking like a fair target for a Top 2 place. For us to get to that we have absolutely no margin for error what so ever.

The two results which I will look back on as the killers were Hull and Millwall at home, those two defeats put a sword in it. Had we even won the Millwall game we'd be right in it.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2024 at 21:54, AlexLaw76 said:

Hey maybe FFP may help us with both Leeds and Leicester under the microscope...... just saying points deductions could help.