Catching Leicester

Barsiem

14 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

This week COULD be huge, saints om paper at least look likely to take 6 from the next 2 home games, and I'd back Leeds to beat Leicester at Elland Road comfortably.

All of a sudden we are 5 away from Leicster..

They wobble again the next game and get a draw and all of sudden they potentially only 3 points ahead of us, and 4 ahead of Leeds / Ipswich.

Its incredibly likely the added pressure will cause mistakes from Leicester too that they aren't used to so close to the end of the season.

They have lost five games in 33 matches, do you really see them losing 3-4 over the course of the next 15?

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
missed word
  • Like 1

Hopefully I’ll be coming back here at the end of the season 😂 

Why people on here (presumably mostly grown adults), who supposedly support the same team, can’t have a decent conversation and debate without the back and forth passive aggression with their comments makes me laugh. 

My opinion, FWIW, is I want to believe that as long as it’s mathematically possible, I want to win the league. That’s what playing and supporting sport is about in my opinion. To want to, and believe you can, win every match. 

I respect those that want a Leicester win to make second place more mathematically possible, but I can’t be like that. 

• Like 9

Just now, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Hopefully I’ll be coming back here at the end of the season 😂 

Why people on here (presumably mostly grown adults), who supposedly support the same team, can’t have a decent conversation and debate without the back and forth passive aggression with their comments makes me laugh. 

My opinion, FWIW, is I want to believe that as long as it’s mathematically possible, I want to win the league. That’s what playing and supporting sport is about in my opinion. To want to, and believe you can, win every match. 

I respect those that want a Leicester win to make second place more mathematically possible, but I can’t be like that. 

1000%

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

They have lost five games in 33 matches, do you really see them losing 3-4 over the course of the next 15?

Unlikely. Not impossible. It’s not wild fantasy to imagine they might lose to Leeds, lose to us and lose 1 or 2 more.

43 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

That’s what playing and supporting sport is about in my opinion. To want to, and believe you can, win every match. 

But the result of Leeds vs Leicester is nothing to do with that, is it?

We all want Saints to win every match.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

But the result of Leeds vs Leicester is nothing to do with that, is it?

We all want Saints to win every match.

Ok, I’ll bite.

My WHOLE post was about people discussing the result of Leeds vs Leicester. 

You have picked up and decided to quote one line. Please tell me where I have intimated that I said anyone has said they don’t want Saints to win every game? 

You have quoted out of context. Don’t know why, but each to their own. 

• Like 1

I don’t like Vardy or any team he’s associated with, whereas I have a soft-spot for Leeds having followed the Bremner team of the 70’s. BUT, for this one it HAS to be a Leicester win as we don’t want our closest rivals for 2nd place to gain points on us. Leicester can still lose other games in theory and would need to for us to catch them - it’s unlikely though and so it’s unlikely also that we’ll be able to catch them. We don’t need a strong challenge from Leeds or Ipswich. A draw would be OK, but still not ideal IMO.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Anyone who wants Leeds to win really does need their heads wobbled. We are in a three way fight for second place. No amount of if's buts or maybe's is going to change that. It's second place or the play offs. That's the stark reality of it. 

I mean if the table pans out as per the post above yours then it's not just second on offer is it. I agree that is overwhelmingly the most likely two outcomes but overtaking Leicester is not yet an impossibility. 

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The fans mentality... That's why I said this forum has a tinpot mentality. 

I have absolutely no doubt at all that Saints can match Leicester’s form for the rest of the season and post a points total which would win the league in 90% of seasons. I have no doubt that we can beat Leicester if we play at our best and even close the gap to somewhere around 4-8 points by the end of the season, IF we can maintain our absolutely superb form since late September.

I have no doubt we are capable of all of that. What we’re not going to do is overhaul an 11 point gap (effectively 12 with their vastly superior GD) on probably the best Championship team there’s ever been, in 14 games. It’s fantasy stuff and why anyone is pinning their hopes on that instead of the very real, neck and neck with Leeds I can’t fathom.

• Like 5

Just spoke to my Leicester mate he’s absolutely convinced that Leeds and us are going to go on record breaking runs and they’re going to struggle to get another point all season. Then they’ll lose to Coventry in the play offs 

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Catching Leicester (Combined Thread)

IMO Leicester are simply not out of this.

It's a reasonable bet that Leeds will beat them and we'll win the next 2.

What was an 11 point gap then becomes a 5 point gap.

Then we play them. We can beat them and if we do then - assuming we match each other in points elsewhere - we are 2 points behind.

They have been cruising all season (not least because of our dismal September run) but the pack is putting on a lot of pressure now.

I want to see how they react with us snapping at their heels and no room to screw up. They have not felt that pressure yet.

The odds are they will get automatic but the game is still afoot.

• Like 1

Leicester fans are being a little cocky, thinking it is all over. Would love us and Leeds to overturn them and go up automatically, with Sky getting their title decider instead on the last day. 

It’s a long shot, but this football and it has been seen before. I would LOVE it! 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I have absolutely no doubt at all that Saints can match Leicester’s form for the rest of the season and post a points total which would win the league in 90% of seasons. I have no doubt that we can beat Leicester if we play at our best and even close the gap to somewhere around 4-8 points by the end of the season, IF we can maintain our absolutely superb form since late September.

I have no doubt we are capable of all of that. What we’re not going to do is overhaul an 11 point gap (effectively 12 with their vastly superior GD) on probably the best Championship team there’s ever been, in 14 games. It’s fantasy stuff and why anyone is pinning their hopes on that instead of the very real, neck and neck with Leeds I can’t fathom.

Nobody’s pinning their hopes on it. It’s just a what-if chat.

The reaction of the piss on your dreams brigade here is what I cannot fathom.

You know better than anyone you cannot express positivity about Saints without someone. somewhere giving you evils.
What’s more avoidable ( and so sad ) is the sycophantic saints supporting stooges posting laughing emojis at obvious personal insults and abuse of other saints - just for having the temerity to imagine a “ what if” scenario even when full of caveats like “ but of course it won’t happen” that they disapprove of. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The fans mentality... That's why I said this forum has a tinpot mentality. 

Come on then big bollocks

I'm saying Saints will win the Champions League at least once in the next five years, by the end of the 2028-9 season. At least.

We're going to do it. 

Come on the big boy, what's your hot shot big league mentality telling you?

Tell us all x x 

I can see Leeds winning tomorrow and Saints getting the bit between their teeth to get to 5 points behind Leicester going into the game against them.

If that happens pressure can start to do funny things to a team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

Yes

Even their own fans accept that they are perennial chokers and have a track record of throwing leads away 

Leicester are perennial chokers??  The team that have won the Premier League and the FA Cup in the last ten years?  That have also won the Championship and going back 30 years also won the league cup twice? That Leicester?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hoping Leicester beat Leeds and we win our two home games. That will leave us 4 points clear of them with 12 games left meaning the pressure will ramp up on them as they try to catch us. Ipswich remain a threat so we need to better their results. It's going to be an exciting and tense run-in.

• Like 1

Anyone wanting a Leeds win is completely mad in the head but unfortunately, I think they’ll get their wish. And we’ll still be absolutely nowhere fucking near Leicester. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Anyone wanting a Leeds win is completely mad in the head but unfortunately, I think they’ll get their wish. And we’ll still be absolutely nowhere fucking near Leicester. 

This. Leicester choking is a possibility but it’s so unlikely that we should obviously want them to beat Leeds.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Nobody’s pinning their hopes on it. It’s just a what-if chat.

The reaction of the piss on your dreams brigade here is what I cannot fathom.

You know better than anyone you cannot express positivity about Saints without someone. somewhere giving you evils.
What’s more avoidable ( and so sad ) is the sycophantic saints supporting stooges posting laughing emojis at obvious personal insults and abuse of other saints - just for having the temerity to imagine a “ what if” scenario even when full of caveats like “ but of course it won’t happen” that they disapprove of. 

Nobody is stopping you dreaming. Dream of winning the league, beating Liverpool and winning the double if you want, it's no skin off my nose. There's a world of difference between optimism and wanting our closest rivals to win; actively hoping to compromise our chance of promotion, for a very remote shot at a title which is ultimately meaningless and symbolic.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nobody is stopping you dreaming. Dream of winning the league, beating Liverpool and winning the double if you want, it's no skin off my nose. There's a world of difference between optimism and wanting our closest rivals to win; actively hoping to compromise our chance of promotion, for a very remote shot at a title which is ultimately meaningless and symbolic.

Not sure why everyone is getting so annoyed. We have no power to affect anything. The reality is that any possible result could be a positive if we keep winning. Either way we will be gaining points on rivals. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Not sure why everyone is getting so annoyed. We have no power to affect anything. The reality is that any possible result could be a positive if we keep winning. Either way we will be gaining points on rivals. 

That's exactly the way Russ and the lads will be viewing it. Keep winning. Control the controllables.

1 minute ago, sfc4prem said:

That's exactly the way Russ and the lads will be viewing it. Keep winning. Control the controllables.

I can spin a positive from any combination of results from this game. If we beat hull and Millwall then our chances of promotion will have improved either way. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

I can see Leeds winning tomorrow and Saints getting the bit between their teeth to get to 5 points behind Leicester going into the game against them.

If that happens pressure can start to do funny things to a team.

For the love of god I cannot take going into the final game needing a win against Leeds for auto. Please do not wish for me to have a heart attack. 

On 18/02/2024 at 00:10, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

With Saints beating West Brom yesterday and Leicester coming unstuck against Middlesbrough, it begins to beg the question, can Saints catch Leicester? If so when could that happen.

I think it is possible, but I am under no illusion that it will be easy! I don't think we can do it before we play them though. However, if we can draw against them when we play them, it might be possible to catch them in the following game against Middlesbrough, as illustrated below:

Currently: Saints 67pts, Leicester 78pts

• Saints beat Hull, Leicester no fixture -> Saints 70pts, Leicester 78pts
  • Leicester draw away to Leeds, Saints beat Millwall -> Saints 73pts, Leicester 79pts
  • Saints beat Brum away, Leicester beat QPR -> Saints 76pts, Leicester 82pts
  • Saints beat Preston at home, Leicester draw with Sunderland away -> Saints 79pts, Leicester 83pts
  • Saints beat Sunderland at home, Leicester draw with Hull away -> Saints 82pts, Leicester 84pts
  • Leicester v Saints - draw -> Saints 83pts, Leicester 85pts
  • Saints beat Middlesbro, Leicester draw away at Bristol City -> Saints 86pts, Leicester 86pts

I have to say that even if we can get level on points with them by then, with Ipswich away as our next match, getting above them by then is unlikely!

What do you think?

This is feasible, although unlikely. The Leicester fans i know don't think they are actually as good as the table suggests, and that they will drop points under pressure - i.e. if the gap narrows they will start to drop more... but as yet, the gap hasn't narrowed.

FWIW, I think we will beat hull, and i think we will beat Millwall at home... i even think Leicester will lose to leeds (by which point the gap becomes 5 points). But after that, its anyone's guess. It requires us to be on shit hot form for the rest of the year, and for Leicester to have a proper blip... and still, for us to get promoted / win the division, it requires Leeds to beat Leicester and then start to drop points 

However. If, and thats a capital and italic "IF", we are going to catch them, it will look something like the above.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

This year is my 40th consecutive season of watching Saints and from those years of experience i can tell you exactly how it'll pan out for saints.

The most Saints thing in the world would be for us to achieve a recording breaking points figure for third, then proceed to lose the first round in the play offs on penalties despite being the better team over both legs.

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

This year is my 40th consecutive season of watching Saints and from those years of experience i can tell you exactly how it'll pan out for saints.

The most Saints thing in the world would be for us to achieve a recording breaking points figure for third, then proceed to lose the first round in the play offs on penalties despite being the better team over both legs.

Certainly feels like that would be inevitable if we don’t get autos.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Sadly often the case if a team is pipped to the auto's at the death, the phycological impact that has is enormous and it's very hard to pick yourself up again. That's why you so often see a late charger into the playoffs actually pip everyone else.

I remember the National League last season, both Wrexham and Notts County on 100+ points. Notts County ended up in the playoffs, 30 or so points better off than their opponent and almost...almost ended up failing. They got up on pens in the end, which are a lottery anyway.

Got to put all hope into us getting that 2nd spot, as it's our best chance now.

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Got to put all hope into us getting that 2nd spot, as it's our best chance now.

That's exactly the reason why I want Leicester to beat Leeds. I still feel like we have a loss or two in us before the end of the season and having Leeds drop points is far more important than some batshit idea of us catching a team who are 90% promoted already.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

It doesn't really matter because if Saints don't keep winning Ipswich will end above us as well as Leeds  or Leicester.  We can't expect 2 out of the 3 to drop many points.

But we can assume that we're going to? 

23 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

For the love of god I cannot take going into the final game needing a win against Leeds for auto. Please do not wish for me to have a heart attack. 

It could be all 4 teams neck and neck going into the last game with Saints involved in the battle of Elland Road. I'll personally love it, that's what we support the team for after all. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

You might want to turn everything off on that day.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2024 at 20:50, Behind Enemy Lines said:

I want us to win the league too, but I can recognise that it's highly unlikely and that a Leeds win would make our promotion a little bit harder. Leicester must win, for the sake of us getting promoted and hanging onto to THB and possibly Downes.

Edited by niceandfriendly

1 hour ago, Cabrone said:

It could be all 4 teams neck and neck going into the last game with Saints involved in the battle of Elland Road. I'll personally love it, that's what we support the team for after all. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

You might want to turn everything off on that day.

I like thinking about end of season possibilities.

The prospect of us and Leeds ending up a draw and Ipswich sneaking second is quite something.

Then Saints v Leeds play off final. 

1st or 2nd, for a nice relaxing spring into summer thank-you. 

Looking at who is likely to be in the playoffs if it’s us and not Leeds, I think we have enough.

Wouldn’t want it, but with the wind behind us a bit of luck and a fully fit starting 11 be alright 🥴🥴🥴

• Like 1

Here we go with Leeds United,

We're gonna give the boys a hand

Stand up and sing for Leeds united

They are the greatest in the land,

Everyday, we're all gonna say

We love you Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

Everywhere, we're gonna be there

We, love you Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

Marching On Together!

We're gonna see you win

Na na na na na na

We are so proud

We shout it out loud we love you Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

We've been through it all together

And we've had our ups and downs (UPS AND DOWNS!)

We're gonna stay with you forever

At least until the world stops going round

Everyday, we're all gonna say we love you Leeds!Leeds!Leeds!

Everywhere, we're gonna be there

We, love you Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

Marching On Together!

We're gonna see you win

Na na na na na na

We are so proud

We shout it out loud we love you

Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!

We are so proud, we shout it out Loud we love you

LEEDS! LEEDS! LEEDS!

WE NEED YOU TO GET OUR TITLE RUN BACK ON TRACK - COME ON AND DO IT FOR THE SUPER SAINTS, LEEDS UNITED

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Catching Leicester