Catching Leicester

Barsiem

We had a similar thread when Ipswich played Leicester, and there was a lot of conflicting views as to what result was best for Saints.  I think a lot of people will see Leeds as being more dangerous to our promotion aspirations than Ipswich, plus we have looked shaky in a few games in the last couple of weeks, so wondered if there will be a different consensus this time?

For me it's the same as last time - I want us to worry about catching Leicester only if & when we have pulled away from third place.  Therefore I want a Leicester win

Doesn'ae fucking matter either way. It's in our hands, and we'll be sure to capitalise and be in the autos come the end of the season.

If I had to choose, I'd opt for a hugely demoralising and embarrassing 5-0 defeat for Leeds.

• Like 1

If Leeds win our chances of finishing first increase from extremely remote to tiny, but our odds of finishing above Leeds and in the top two decrease.

If Leicester win our chances of finishing above Leeds and ending up in the top two increase.

It's a simple choice isn't it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Stop talking rubbish.

If we were level on points with them now, I’d say it was 50:50, on a knife edge and could go either way. Both teams are very strong, playing well and should average just over two point per game from here on.

But we’re not level on points, they’re 11 ahead of us with 14 games left. We need to average almost a point per game more than them for the rest of the season. I would bet a large jar of marmalade that we will not catch Leicester.

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

If Leeds win our chances of finishing first increase from extremely remote to tiny, but our odds of finishing above Leeds and in the top two decrease.

If Leicester win our chances of finishing above Leeds and ending up in the top two increase.

It's a simple choice isn't it?

This isn't knock out football, there's a 3rd reslt where both teams drop points.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

If we were level on points with them now, I’d say it was 50:50, on a knife edge and could go either way. Both teams are very strong, playing well and should average just over two point per game from here on.

But we’re not level on points, they’re 11 ahead of us with 14 games left. We need to average almost a point per game more than them for the rest of the season. I would bet a large jar of marmalade that we will not catch Leicester.

You're entitled to your opinion mate, But I still believe we can catch them.

Edited by SaintsFan86
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

This isn't knock out football, there's a 3rd reslt where both teams drop points.

A draw would be like kissing one's sister. It wouldn't help us very much in catching Leicester, and compared to a Leeds defeat would slightly decrease our chances of finishing above Leeds.

Leeds 0 Leicester 10 please!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I will tell you after Tuesday night and we have played our game in hand. At the moment I want a Leicester win but if we beat Hull and go above Leeds I would want a draw. A draw for them and a Saturday win for us would mean we would be 3 points ahead of Leeds and "only" 6 behind Leicester. Easy from then onwards 😁😁😁

• Like 3

Head says Leeds will win. Heart wants a Leicester win. Even with their loss today I think they'll pick up enough points that we won't catch them. Leeds are our main rivals.

Draw wouldn't be the worst result but goal difference favours Leeds as it stands if it boils down to that. 

It would be a jolly old chortle though if us and Leeds finished 1-2 and Leicester dropped into the play offs... but I can't see it.

If we'd have beaten Bristol City then I'd have been quite intrigued to see a Leeds win, as long as we'd won our 2 games. If that had played out, we'd end next weekend on 76 points and Leicester would only be 2 points above.

But sadly it didn't play out like that, so the best result is a Leeds defeat to increase the gap to third back to 4 points (as long as we do our job). But a draw also wouldn't be the worst result, if we do our jobs we'll have created a 3 point gap to Leeds and pulled Leicester to within 6. We don't want a Leeds win now though.

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

There's not enough scorn in the fucking world for me to pour on anymore wanting a Leeds win.

So you don't fancy being 2 points behind Leicester in a few weeks then...? ;)

(There, I've bitten... ;) )

Edited by trousers

Leeds current form since new year's day is 8 straight wins, 19 goals scored, 7 clean sheets and 1 goal conceded. 

That amazing run and they're still nowhere fucking near Leicester either.

We desperately need Leicester to blow them away on Friday to allow us to build up some kind of cushion before we play Leicester next month.

Edited by CB Fry

I want a draw and us to pull within 6 of Leicester with us going up there in a month. I still think they could be dragged into this, they just need a little wobble and that gap could be closed.

2 from 4 is much better than 1 from 3.

• Like 1

With Saints beating West Brom yesterday and Leicester coming unstuck against Middlesbrough, it begins to beg the question, can Saints catch Leicester? If so when could that happen.

I think it is possible, but I am under no illusion that it will be easy! I don't think we can do it before we play them though. However, if we can draw against them when we play them, it might be possible to catch them in the following game against Middlesbrough, as illustrated below:

Currently: Saints 67pts, Leicester 78pts

• Saints beat Hull, Leicester no fixture -> Saints 70pts, Leicester 78pts
  • Leicester draw away to Leeds, Saints beat Millwall -> Saints 73pts, Leicester 79pts
  • Saints beat Brum away, Leicester beat QPR -> Saints 76pts, Leicester 82pts
  • Saints beat Preston at home, Leicester draw with Sunderland away -> Saints 79pts, Leicester 83pts
  • Saints beat Sunderland at home, Leicester draw with Hull away -> Saints 82pts, Leicester 84pts
  • Leicester v Saints - draw -> Saints 83pts, Leicester 85pts
  • Saints beat Middlesbro, Leicester draw away at Bristol City -> Saints 86pts, Leicester 86pts

I have to say that even if we can get level on points with them by then, with Ipswich away as our next match, getting above them by then is unlikely!

What do you think?

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Removing BB code table as it doesn't seem to work

None of this makes sense. Basically it's rather unlikely we will overtake them but it's not as unlikely as some posters like to claim. It would require them to lose to Leeds and possibly lose to us as well and would probably require us to win all the games in between. 

If they stopped now - literally downed tools and refused to play - we *might* catch them in 4 or 5 games' time.

Look how many fixtures are left.

Stop this preposterous line of thought.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Catching Leicester