Catching Leicester

Barsiem

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah it's done, time to look forward to the playoffs.

If it's the playoffs, I hope that we know that a good few weeks before the season ends. Ending up in the playoffs after a gut wrenching defeat at Elland Rd on the last day isn't my desired outcome. We'd never recover from that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If it's the playoffs, I hope that we know that a good few weeks before the season ends. Ending up in the playoffs after a gut wrenching defeat at Elland Rd on the last day isn't my desired outcome. We'd never recover from that.

Leeds will be well out of sight by then.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 10:47, Saint_clark said:

Leeds all the way. Go for the title lads. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah it's done, time to look forward to the playoffs.

So in the space of one, single defeat you’ve gone from wanting Leeds to win, so we can catch a team 11 points above us, to, "it’s all over, we can’t possibly catch a team 2 points above us."

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So in the space of one, single defeat you’ve gone from wanting Leeds to win, so we can catch a team 11 points above us, to, "it’s all over, we can’t possibly catch a team 2 points above us."

This isn't a place for rational thought, you should know that!

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd rather us finish 3rd and play someone like Coventry, than finish 4th and maybe face Hull or WBA.

We'd have to play them in the final anyway tbh, doesn't really matter in my eyes. Coventry are a good side as well, will cause us problems when we play them.

I can’t believe anyone seriously wanted Leeds to beat Leicester even before us losing last night . it was always going to be hard to maintain 2nd let alone try and catch a team 
11 points above us . 

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Form, momentum and the evidence of results against the top teams mean nothing, no siree.

Leeds fans were right. We'll struggle with the rest of our games. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Form, momentum and the evidence of results against the top teams mean nothing, no siree.

Leeds fans were right. We'll struggle with the rest of our games. 

You could have saved some time and accept that yesterday afternoon, or last week

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It was an hilariously ridiculous thought - 'we can catch Leicester' lol

Just to stick up for those who were starting to think this, it was whilst we were still unbeaten in 25 and had just done Huddersfield. If we (as we all totally expected) had won against Bristol City, WBA and Hull, whilst Leicester dropped points against Boro and Leeds, we'd have gone into the Millwall game on 73 points with a game in hand on them. They'd have still been on 78. Beat Millwall and it was down to 2 points and we were right on their coattails.

A week or two ago it wasn't totally unfathomable that this scenario could have played out, but given we've not done our job it's now done and dusted and most will accept that.

I don't think there was anything wrong with fans having a bit of hope that there could have been something to grab, certainly no need to now laugh back in the faces of fans of your club.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with fans having a bit of hope that there could have been something to grab

I remember this time last year after Stamford Bridge thinking if we win this/that match, we can still avoid relegation. The hope's back again but this time it's if we win this/that game, we can still get automatically promoted. It's not an irrational hope. We've still got to play the top three (the proverbial six pointers) so it's in our hands. RM needs to pick the best team, stop the tinkering and there's no reason why we can't do it. Certainly this year's hope is more realistic than last year.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with fans having a bit of hope that there could have been something to grab, certainly no need to now laugh back in the faces of fans of your club.

There always was, and still is, "something to grab" - it's called automatic promotion.

It was the twattish belief that we could over turn an 11 point deficit in only 14/15 games that was then, and is now, absolutely laughable. The sneery arrogance that second wasn't good enough for super Saints.

And the fact that people have reversed like an Italian tank at the first sign of adversity, shows how fuckwitted it was. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

There always was, and still is, "something to grab" - it's called automatic promotion.

It was the twattish belief that we could over turn an 11 point deficit in only 14/15 games that was then, and is now, absolutely laughable. The sneery arrogance that second wasn't good enough for super Saints.

And the fact that people have reversed like an Italian tank at the first sign of adversity, shows how fuckwitted it was. 

But the point was that if the scenario above had played out, which wasn't unthinkable at the time, we would have almost turned over that 11 point deficit - whilst still having to go to their place.

Of course there is still automatic promotion to grab and that's still very much the aim of the game, it's just that people saw the chance to win the league - there was a tiny glimmer, and our form and the fact Leeds and Leicester played each other opened the door ajar slightly - as long as we did our job, but we didn't so it's done.

I don't think having hope can ever be constituted as having a twattish belief.

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

But the point was that if the scenario above had played out, which wasn't unthinkable at the time, we would have almost turned over that 11 point deficit - whilst still having to go to their place.

Of course there is still automatic promotion to grab and that's still very much the aim of the game, it's just that people saw the chance to win the league - there was a tiny glimmer, and our form and the fact Leeds and Leicester played each other opened the door ajar slightly - as long as we did our job, but we didn't so it's done.

I don't think having hope can ever be constituted as having a twattish belief.

It was unthinkable, it was never going to happen and here we are it hasn't happened.

All the scenarios and calculations and it was all a load of bollocks boiling down to "other teams will just lose games to give us what we want".  Meanwhile we win every single game as a given.

The whole thing was horseshit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It was laughable to think we would gain 11 points on Leicester in 14 games, when we gained 0 points in 25 unbeaten.

just madness

Obviously you have never had a bad opinion so let's all stand around and applaud Alex for his history of spot on posts over the years on a huge variety of topics under a multitude of different logins.

It wasn't even that bad of a discussion. I've heard multiple people talk about it in pubs, at actual football games that you don't go to, and seen plenty of other fans online talk about us possibly catching Leicester.

What's laughable is the amount of time you spend on here posting utter bollocks before then jumping on anyone who ends up being wrong in a condescending way.

Weirdly when it's pointed out to you that you have been wrong you don't like it.

You're like a child.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I see S. Clarke's point - that people are entitled to hope (and a "winning mentality") as a Football fan, just as hope is crucial to just about every aspect of life.    As you point out though; even the most basic of mathematicians could tell us we weren't going to make up that deficit on Leicester in the remaining games.   In that sense hope of winning the title was not hope, but pie-in-the-sky.    The more realistic hope was/still is that we finish second - a couple of weeks ago, that hope burned brightly, despite the proximity of Leeds and Ipswich.    Now it's a slightly flickering low wattage globe after the defeats at Bristol and St Marys v Hull.    It's still possible - the hope of automatic promotion lives on.....precariously.

• Like 3

On 22/02/2024 at 08:33, austsaint said:

I see S. Clarke's point - that people are entitled to hope (and a "winning mentality") as a Football fan, just as hope is crucial to just about every aspect of life.    As you point out though; even the most basic of mathematicians could tell us we weren't going to make up that deficit on Leicester in the remaining games.   In that sense hope of winning the title was not hope, but pie-in-the-sky.    The more realistic hope was/still is that we finish second - a couple of weeks ago, that hope burned brightly, despite the proximity of Leeds and Ipswich.    Now it's a slightly flickering low wattage globe after the defeats at Bristol and St Marys v Hull.    It's still possible - the hope of automatic promotion lives on.....precariously.

And tonight's game will see hope levels shift dramatically one way or the other. C'mon Leicester.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

So if you think we're likely to finish 5th you must think we have a chance of finishing 1st?

Nah, I think we'll finish 4th. Maybe 3rd if one of the other two falters. Never said anything either way, just think this is/was a ridiculous thread.

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Nah, I think we'll finish 4th. Maybe 3rd if one of the other two falters. Never said anything either way, just think this is/was a ridiculous thread.

Personally I think the result last night means that Leeds are beyond our reach, while Leicester are catchable.

• Haha 1

I called it a few weeks ago, on the back of our Huddersfield win - it was in reach, esp. with the Leeds/Leicester game on the horizon. We didn't do our job though so it's null and void.

But it wasn't that ridiculous 'never a chance' opportunity that many made it out to be. We had every chance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I called it a few weeks ago, on the back of our Huddersfield win - it was in reach, esp. with the Leeds/Leicester game on the horizon. We didn't do our job though so it's null and void.

But it wasn't that ridiculous 'never a chance' opportunity that many made it out to be. We had every chance.

I'm still bonkers enough to think we can still do it! (If that doesn't attract @CB Fry back to the thread I don't know what will! ;) )

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I'm still bonkers enough to think we can still do it! (If that doesn't attract @CB Fry back to the thread I don't know what will! ;) )

Now you've put the bait down Trousers......

We had our chance tbf, I knew Leicester had a wobble in them - but we decided to have ours at the same time. 8 points between 4th and 1st is pretty mental at this stage though.

Ipswich somehow have clawed themselves back to within 3 points of the top. After Leicester were what feels like 11 points clear of everyone all season it's a bit of a bump in their rear view now.

Edited by S-Clarke

Problem is gents, Ipswich, Leeds and Leicester all have to play us again. They're bricking it, I reckon. Could swing the table and see us near the summit - who knows?!?

Enjoy the ride.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Catching Leicester