Schneiderlin - Saints Biggest Waste of Cash Ever?

Arizona

Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season  

574 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season

• Schneiderlin
    • Wotton

Schneiderlin is a creative midfielder, whether he was played as one is a completely different matter.

Is that not the point? no on really knows what he is. Hes played centre back, central defensive and attacking midfield and wide attacking midfield this season and been pony in all of them. Not got the pace for the wide midfield positions, the skill for attacking midfield or the aggression for defensive midfield. His stats say it all, he contributes nothing. He might be a decent sideways and backwards ball retention player but that is only so good as the players around you who to be fair to the kid have been pony too!! I know he's only a kid but to squander £1.2m on a kid when the club is in serious financial woe is just plain folly and in Lowes top 5 blunders.

"The sooner Arsenal sign him the better." Is this irony? Does Arsene Wenger know something we don't?

I agree it was a bizarre decision to risk scarce resources on an untried teenager from abroad (and plain wrong in Saint's circumstances) but I think he can play, despite what your stats appear to tell you.

The signing of Wotton may have made more sense at the time but I can't have been the only one who wondered why Plymouth released him.

Is that not the point? no on really knows what he is. Hes played centre back, central defensive and attacking midfield and wide attacking midfield this season and been pony in all of them. Not got the pace for the wide midfield positions, the skill for attacking midfield or the aggression for defensive midfield. His stats say it all, he contributes nothing. He might be a decent sideways and backwards ball retention player but that is only so good as the players around you who to be fair to the kid have been pony too!! I know he's only a kid but to squander £1.2m on a kid when the club is in serious financial woe is just plain folly and in Lowes top 5 blunders.

we haven't spent £1.2m keep up!

All this Arsenal talk is laughable, Shneiderlin can't even get in the Saints first XI.

He will probably still be here next year because I doubt anyone will want to buy him, he will just be a drain on the wages.

agreed he really showed nothing to indicate where his best position was or that he was prepared to work hard enough to improve himself.

watch the top ranked midfield players they work their socks off all over the pitch

we haven't spent £1.2m keep up!

Okay how much then? I take it a few grand changed hands. It was another Rupert knows best signing. He was probably expecting him to be linked with Arsenal now after spearheading our charge to the play offs this season!!!!

We were not in a position at the start of this season to take punts on eighteen year olds with absolutely no experience in this country.

It was plain wrong; simple as that.

Okay how much then? I take it a few grand changed hands. It was another Rupert knows best signing. He was probably expecting him to be linked with Arsenal now after spearheading our charge to the play offs this season!!!!

We were not in a position at the start of this season to take punts on eighteen year olds with absolutely no experience in this country.

Indeed, 1.2m in our position is mental. You could almost understand if it was spent on a goal scorer or a solid centre back but unproven defensive midfielder is crazy.

Would have been better off keeping Safri. No potential to get better but we already had him and he was very experienced with the Championship would have been great for us this season.

Indeed, 1.2m in our position is mental. You could almost understand if it was spent on a goal scorer or a solid centre back but unproven defensive midfielder is crazy.

Made worse by the fact the Head Coach hadn't even seen him play!!!!!!!!!!

Then again we had no money and no options:rolleyes::rolleyes::smt075

I was speaking to a Toulouse fan the other week when I was watching game down there, he was suprised he was playing at such a 'low' level! He also said he wouldn't mind him joining Toulouse if we didn't want him!

Schneiderlin is talent personified, whether he can express it usefully in Saints system is another matter.I've seen him for France U19s and he is good,but he requires movement around him, as does any continental european midfielder.

I'd say honestly he is wasted on Saints.

Did you see Gignac Um? what do you think?

I'd have to agree, he is wasted at Saints, playing in an inexperienced side losing most of the time. I have watched him and to be honest, Div 1 will not make him better, a spell in the Prem will. I accept that the best players work there socks off, ala Gerrard, Lampard and Fabregas but did Matt? Not comparing him to MLT but like a lot of players, he's more class surrounded by class, who thought Shearer was nothing 'too' special when he left The Dell?

Gignac looked good, got the goal too.....I was more impressed with the lad Cetto at the back, looked solid and Mathieu was also decent.

The bloke I know said Braaten, who they got from Bolton as part of the Elmander deal has been superb.

Did you see Gignac Um? what do you think?

Didn't he do a Kachloul?????

I personally have no problem with Schneiderlin being a talent that we could nurture and hope he gets better each year and adapts to the Englosh game.

It's just the fact that we blew probably our entire transfer budget on a hunch/young prospect, when we were crying out for experience and steel.

When you haven't got much money it's imperative that you spend what you have very wisely, and the acquisition of Schneiderlin suggested we got our priorities all wrong. The very fact that the Head Coach hadn't even seen him play is just the icing on the cake.

For me, it's nothing about the player's talent, its the context of how/why we signed him.

Didn't he do a Kachloul?????

Don't know about that.the TFC got him from Lorient where he'd not been doing much for a while.Anyway he's a southern lad and the rain and cold of Brittany would p*ss him off big time. Yer average mediterranean dude doesn't export particularly well to the frozen septentrional wastes.

Don't know about that.the TFC got him from Lorient where he'd not been doing much for a while.Anyway he's a southern lad and the rain and cold of Brittany would p*ss him off big time. Yer average mediterranean dude doesn't export particularly well to the frozen septentrional wastes.

He's hit out in the French press at Lorient, Toulouse are looking good this year, still enjoy only paying 9 Euro to watch football.

He's hit out in the French press at Lorient, Toulouse are looking good this year, still enjoy only paying 9 Euro to watch football.

That's because town halls,regional councils and county councils throughout France and Navarre cough up swans as a public service,even to clubs with giant budgets like Marseille and Lyon.

Imagine SCC giving us a couple of million £ and letting us play for free in a city owned stadium, 10£ would be very doable under those circumstances.

That's because town halls,regional councils and county councils throughout France and Navarre cough up swans as a public service,even to clubs with giant budgets like Marseille and Lyon.

Imagine SCC giving us a couple of million £ and letting us play for free in a city owned stadium, 10£ would be very doable under those circumstances.

Indeed, I like French football compared to the English game, I've been going down to watch Toulouse for years now, my parents live near by, of course atmosphere wise it's not like the English game, but it's cheaper and that's what I like!

I'd have to agree, he is wasted at Saints, playing in an inexperienced side losing most of the time. I have watched him and to be honest, Div 1 will not make him better, a spell in the Prem will. I accept that the best players work there socks off, ala Gerrard, Lampard and Fabregas but did Matt? Not comparing him to MLT but like a lot of players, he's more class surrounded by class, who thought Shearer was nothing 'too' special when he left The Dell?

hes only 19 and looks a very talented player and looked good in the early part of the season,i think he will end up playing at a higher level in a few years time.

Okay, he is up against some pretty stiff competition. Delgado of course costing about £3m for about 3 games in 3 years. Jelle van Damme and David Prutton weren't the best players we've spent £2.5m each on and we spent way over the odds signing Darren Powell on a free transfer.

But £1.2m (Yes everyone claims to be ITK about various aspects and how we "only" paid £600k up front etc) on an unproven French teenager, for a bankrupt club like Saints? I just do not get it.

I don't want to write off a teenager, but lets take a peak at this seasons stats:

Appearances - 33 (25 starts 8 sub)

Goals - 0

Assists - 0

Shots on target - 4

Shots off target - 12

Headers won - 1

That is absolutely f**king appaling, and he doesn't track back or tackle either. And he seems to have a worrying injury record.

Today he just couldn't have looked less interested. Never put his foot in, never had a shot, made a run. Always played the obvious pass, never tried anything special, didn't track back and defend.

Sounds like we played him in defensive midfield then.

He set up a goal against Exeter in the League Cup with an excellent through ball as well, though I'm not sure it was actually the last pass.

Just another example of a good player made to look poor by the lack of quality around him.

He can't head, he's not the greatest tackler, but he can pass all day and he sees options in advanced roles - when there's someone to actually pass to that is. God knows why we've ended up playing him at DM when he should be playing in the hole.

I'd rather Wotton as a DM, and Schneiderlin much more advanced.

Where is Lee Holmes these days, how come Wotte never played him?

Injured. I suspect that answers part II of your question too.

I actually put Lee Holmes' injury down as a major contributory factor in our relegation, he was excellent in August when we looked like a mid-table side and as soon as he got injured our (alleged) 4-3-3 fell apart because he was the outlet for every pass and the key to our counterattacking.

As soon as "James/Gillet -> Holmes -> cross into the box" stopped being an option we didn't know how to create anything and McGoldrick started hanging around on the halfway line instead of getting in to attack Holmes' early crosses. Personally I thought Holmes was streets ahead on Player of the Month for August as everything went through him.

Tbh this season has been one of the worst seasons for signings, Schneiderlin, Smith, Gasmi, Pulis, Pekhart and Molyneux.

Gasmi's quite decent actually, skilful, puts effort in, creative too. But he's a loanee, isn't he ? - EDIT, and leaving. Oh well.

Smith is one footed and shoite, like a bloody terrible version of Fabrice Fernandes. Already found his level and now dragging the rest of the club down to it.

Pulis is just "meh" and I hope I never have to see him in the first team. All indications are that he brings nothing, though I don't think I've seen him play.

Pekhart was and is miles better than McGoldrick in touch, distribution, heading, awareness and speed, with much quicker feet, all of which he showed on his debut, but he clearly got p1ssed off with McGoldrick getting games ahead of him and getting shunted out wide and stopped trying.

Molyneux didn't look very good in the one match I've seen him either, but that's not much to go on.

Edited by The9

• 2 years later...
Hang your heads in shame....

Don't be silly. We all make judgements about players, managers, teams, and we've all been wrong at one time or another. Based on the evidence at the time, people made a judgement, there's no shame in that.

However yet again, the one thing this thread does prove is that as much as we may believe in our opinions, never underestimate the ability of any player, manager or team to prove you completely wrong. Have an opinion by all means, but accept that it is just that and remain open-minded about what might happen.

Wow. Old school thread resurrection here.

TBF if Liebherr hadn't bought us, that cash spent on Morgan could have put us out of business. He may be coming good now, but at the time he was a dreadful signing.

Doesn't really work like that. It was more the money spent on the stadium and admin that put on us the brink of going out of business.

We went into admin because George Burley splashed our remaining cash on expensive (wages and fees) players who were ****e. Morgan was always signed as one for the future but was forced to play prematurely because of the lack of decent other options, and got unfairly slated.

Don't be silly. We all make judgements about players, managers, teams, and we've all been wrong at one time or another. Based on the evidence at the time, people made a judgement, there's no shame in that.

However yet again, the one thing this thread does prove is that as much as we may believe in our opinions, never underestimate the ability of any player, manager or team to prove you completely wrong. Have an opinion by all means, but accept that it is just that and remain open-minded about what might happen.

Is it an opinion, but it does show these people know Jack Sh1t about football. It's the same old people as well...

WTF why do people drag up old threads like this? Honestly I've never seen the point other than to start arguments...... or is it some desperate need to be noticed?

Anyway for what it's worth my hazy recollection is that Morgan didn't take to well to playing in league 1 to start with and tended to give the impression he was sulking. Wasn't he getting pressure from the French national coach to move elsewere? I'm pretty sure I read that Pardew had to put in some seroius time convincing Morgan to stay. At that time Wotton while blatantly not being anywhere near as good a footballer as Morgan at least always gave it 100% when he played and football fans like that. So If people preffered Wotton back then it's should hardly be a surprise.

WTF why do people drag up old threads like this? Honestly I've never seen the point other than to start arguments...... or is it some desperate need to be noticed?

Anyway for what it's worth my hazy recollection is that Morgan didn't take to well to playing in league 1 to start with and tended to give the impression he was sulking. Wasn't he getting pressure from the French national coach to move elsewere? I'm pretty sure I read that Pardew had to put in some seroius time convincing Morgan to stay. At that time Wotton while blatantly not being anywhere near as good a footballer as Morgan at least always gave it 100% when he played and football fans like that. So If people preffered Wotton back then it's should hardly be a surprise.

I thought this was when we were in the Championship...

Because it holds a mirror up to the present - especially the slating of established good players.

I wondered what sort of monumental ***** would feel the need to dig up such an old thread. Should have guessed.

Football is about opinions. Footballers get better with age, experience and training. Put those things together and you're pretty much sure to work out why bumping this thread is pathetic.