Schneiderlin - Saints Biggest Waste of Cash Ever?

Arizona

Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season  

574 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season

• Schneiderlin
    • Wotton

I wondered what sort of monumental ***** would feel the need to dig up such an old thread. Should have guessed.

Football is about opinions. Footballers get better with age, experience and training. Put those things together and you're pretty much sure to work out why bumping this thread is pathetic.

Personally I quite enjoy them and don't mind if some of the crass comments come from me. as you say - it's all about opinions and who knows - this time next year the Guly threads will be being resurrected. What I find most interesting was the one or two insightful comments about him being too good for the Saints team as it was then. History has shown those comments to be very true indeed.

(Did laugh at the Turkish contribution though..... ;~)). apologies!!

Because it holds a mirror up to the present - especially the slating of established good players.

Not really it's based on opinions from almost three years ago. It's like dumping a fat, cheating drug addicted girl friend three years ago then bumping into her today to find out she's lost loads of weight, got clean and turnned over a new leaf she's now a much nicer (and hotter) pearson than when you dumped her.........doesn't mean you didn't make the right choice three years ago.

Peoples opinions are based on what they see and feel in the present (or past) they can hardly base their opinions on something that hasn't yet happened which is why dragging up old threads is pretty pointless IMO

Edited by doddisalegend

I thought this was when we were in the Championship...

yeah your right I just saw 2009 and figured league one....In fairness the whole team was pretty crap back in that season. Admin, relegation looming and **** poor performances every weel is hardly going to bring out loads of up beat threads about how amazing our players are......

I

Not really it's based on opinions from almost three years ago. It's like dumping a fat, cheating drug addicted girl friend three years ago then bumping into her today to find out she's lost loads of weight, got clean and turnned over a new leaf she's now a much nicer (and hotter) pearson than when you dumped her.........doesn't mean you didn't make the right choice three years ago.

Peoples opinions are based on what they see and feel in the present (or past) they can hardly base their opinions on something that hasn't yet happened which is why dragging up old threads is pretty pointless IMO

Disagree. People were trashing a 19 year old, one playing in the French national side, as being a useless waste of space. If they had said it was totally ridiculous to expect a promising but very young and inexperienced player to to make a championship side tick in the centre of the park it would have been different and they would have been right.

Edited by buctootim

Funny. Football fans in knowing little about football shock.

Why do people get cross about threads being dug up? Can't see why it matters, or is it that some people are annoyed that their old clueless posts count against them in what they see as some sort of pis5ing contest on an internet forum?

And where is Arizona? He used to post a right load of old claptrap.

Funny. Football fans in knowing little about football shock.

Why do people get cross about threads being dug up? Can't see why it matters, or is it that some people are annoyed that their old clueless posts count against them in what they see as some sort of pis5ing contest on an internet forum?

And where is Arizona? He used to post a right load of old claptrap.

I wouldn't say cross more interested in what sort of person would bring up a three year old arguement to prove a point (actually thinking about maybe it's my wife she has form for that sort of thing). Seeing as I didn't post in the orginial post I'm certainaly not worried about my clueless posts counting against me. Surely those the bring up a three year old post are the ones looking for a ****ing contest.........

It just means that they suffer from myopia, a lack of foresight if you will...

I still think Spiderman will come good one day.....:rolleyes:

Still learning and improving......thank God Captain Marvel Deano is there to show him how to head tackle and shoot ( maybe not the shooting)

Arsene is going to delay it for another season before putting a bid in for our great mid field maestro...;) Morgan that is in case some of you thought I meant Hammo:D

Since I saw him at Exeter all that time ago..Morgan has improved no end..

Well done Spiderman and give us even more and help us get promoted....

I still do not think that young spindle legged boy Channon will make the grade....:blush:

I have come to realise of late that some of our posters are proper little W.NKERS :p

WIFM

That should be posted every time someone drags up posts from ages ago when circumstances are totally different.

Morgan is a classy player and will improve yet further. Some of the comments in 2009 on this thread illustrate just how much nonsense people come up with!

They might have been right. Just because things have turned out differently three years later doesn't invalidate the original opinions.

Whats really weird is that around 25 people have voted on the poll since the thread was resurrected, nearly all for Morgan and changing the original result. Makes you wonder if they realise Wotton doesnt play for us anymore.

I don't think anybody noticed that he had stopped playing.

it's sad that this type of thread has to be brought back, but to be fair...many fans think that a new player on staff is somehow the quick fix, and if they don't end up as MOM each week then they're classified as cr*p.

There is a list as long as your arm of (past) players who took time to settle in - whether it was coming into a good side (like now )... or to a poor side - as we were when MS arrived. Signing one player doesn't change the side overnight.

Looking back to when we signed Ricky Lambert (surely no-one will complain about him now) ..scored a few goals to begin with, but he was already a proven scorer in L1 .......but on his own admission not a patch on the player he is now.

Chaplow took his share of flack when he was here first on loan, but has since proved he was a "steal " at £50K. I won't bother to look back but I recall some scathing comments on this site from some regular contributors who ought to have known better - about Jos Hooiveld - even before he had kicked a ball, and condemning him in his first few games. A player who has single-headedly scooped us 4 points off West Ham this season ...

Now we have the "not so fit" Billy Sharp fighting for a place, and Tadanari Lee, who according to some was a bad buy ( except that he was a free transfer ) - only because he wasn't from THIS continent !

I've been on record in the past as saying that I don't seriously look at the League tables in the first six games of the season ..(for a number of reasons ) ...I take the same view with new signings. Everything takes time.

Before the season is out I (hopefully) expect to see both players on the score sheet and that will be the sign that they have found their feet in the team.

Sadly I think that some rash criticism too soon only makes for embarrassment later.

'Biggest waste of cash' is a bit harsh, whilst he hasn't set the world on fire with his square balls he's a decent enough squad player behind Chappers and Cork.

Mind you, the £1.2M makes the £1M we paid for Ricky look like an absolute steal.

I'd like to see MS shoot a bit more because when he does he's not bad atall, the goal at Forest was great.

To be wrong is human

To refuse to admit you were wrong makes you a retard

To dig up 3 year old posts on an internet message board and get on your high horse over opinions expressed in completely different circumstances takes a sad mong

It's very easy to sit here now the sun is shining and we're top of the Championship and mock negative posts from 2009. Perhaps these people should remember just how bad it was then. Things could have gone a heck of a lot worse. What if the Liebherrs hadn't rode in on a white horse and we'd gone out of business. Would all the people supporting 'AFC Southampton' in the Blue Square South still be glad we'd splashed out on Morgan? What if we'd had to sell him to keep the club afloat. We'd have got a fraction of the money we spent on him.

No matter how good Morgan turns out to be, it wont change the past. He was still completely the wrong singing for Saints at that time. If we'd spent that money on Rickie Lambert or Nigel Pearson for example, I reckon we'd have stayed up. We'd still have ended up in admin, which would probably have taken us down, but we'd be starting on 0 points instead of -10. We could have achieved everything Norwich have achieved in the 3 years since. All ifs and buts, but I think people should bear in mind, things could have gone A LOT differently back then.

Thanks for digging up an old thread. It's fascinating to re-read it. I didn't comment at the time, but probably would have said something embarrassing.

It does show how we fans can get things badly, badly wrong.

I think those people complaining about "why has this been dug up...times have changed etc etc" are desperate beyond belief and well worth laughing at.

He will be quality in a few years.

Really shows how some people don't properly understand football. It was clear that someone with a first touch and awareness as good as his was always going to make. It is like the people that thought Barnard was a better player than Lambert last year...:rolleyes:

To be wrong is human

To dig up 3 year old posts on an internet message board and get on your high horse over opinions expressed in completely different circumstances takes a sad mong

It's very easy to sit here now the sun is shining and we're top of the Championship and mock negative posts from 2009. Perhaps these people should remember just how bad it was then. Things could have gone a heck of a lot worse. What if the Liebherrs hadn't rode in on a white horse and we'd gone out of business. Would all the people supporting 'AFC Southampton' in the Blue Square South still be glad we'd splashed out on Morgan? What if we'd had to sell him to keep the club afloat. We'd have got a fraction of the money we spent on him.

No matter how good Morgan turns out to be, it wont change the past. He was still completely the wrong singing for Saints at that time. If we'd spent that money on Rickie Lambert or Nigel Pearson for example, I reckon we'd have stayed up. We'd still have ended up in admin, which would probably have taken us down, but we'd be starting on 0 points instead of -10. We could have achieved everything Norwich have achieved in the 3 years since. All ifs and buts, but I think people should bear in mind, things could have gone A LOT differently back then.

thumbnail.aspx?q=4578212299146175&id=7252566d31304d10328595b6e5592312&index=newexp&url=http%3a%2f%2fi304.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fnn182%2fwjb123%2fHammerNail.jpg

I'm quite pleased with my contributions, still think it was fair comment at the time that Schneiderlin sees a pass and should have been in behind the strikers, but his heading (slightly) and his tackling and workrate have improved a lot, lending him to the DM position. He's matured and got used to his role (now he has one) in English football.

Happy to say now that I'm still not convinced Schneiderlin will be a regular if we go up though, but he's stepped up his game to the level we're at so far, so who knows? Not quite so sure about Gasmi or Pekhart with hindsight, what are they doing now ? I know McGoldrick is still gash though. :)

Not sure why anyone would be so bothered about bumping old threads, I think it's a great idea. At least I will until someone finds the ones where I'm slagging off Lambert for being slow and immobile and limited... whistles...

I wouldn't say cross more interested in what sort of person would bring up a three year old arguement to prove a point (actually thinking about maybe it's my wife she has form for that sort of thing).

I lolled.

That was quite an interesting read, tbh. Glad someone bumped it.

Cant disagree with doddsy either, my mrs is always dragging up long-forgotten rubbish from the past too......gambling away the pension.....that unfortunate incident with the secretary (well, secretaries)...murdering her mum....ffs, do they never forget??

Good Idea DT.

Ok just on the off chance that this thread is resurrected in a couple of years time

If Morgan is still with us and playing really well - Morgan is very good a great player I always backed him.

If Morgan is still with us and playing badly - I always new Morgan was rubbish total waste of cash.

There that should cover me.......:)

To be wrong is human

don't agree with that. MS was bought with the future in mind and thus far it has worked out for him and us.

(wonder what happened to Arizona anyway? :rolleyes:

don't agree with that. MS was bought with the future in mind and thus far it has worked out for him and us.

(wonder what happened to Arizona anyway? :rolleyes:

If you're on a boat sinking in the middle of the Atlantic, sound investments in stocks and share would probably be useful in the future, but they aren't really what you need at the time.

• 9 months later...
I still think Spiderman will come good one day.....:rolleyes:

Still learning and improving......thank God Captain Marvel Deano is there to show him how to head tackle and shoot ( maybe not the shooting)

Arsene is going to delay it for another season before putting a bid in for our great mid field maestro...;) Morgan that is in case some of you thought I meant Hammo:D

Since I saw him at Exeter all that time ago..Morgan has improved no end..

Well done Spiderman and give us even more and help us get promoted....

I still do not think that young spindle legged boy Channon will make the grade....:blush:

I have come to realise of late that some of our posters are proper little W.NKERS :p

WIFM

I still continue to Coach Morgan from the stands:rolleyes:....what would he be without me:D

So 46% of posters rated Paul Wotton better than Schneiderlin.

The football knowledge of this board really is something to behold :lol:

Don't you know you've got to rush aroud like a blue-assed fly, give the ball away rather than pass it backwards or sideways and shout a lot to be a good footballer.

Hang your heads in shame....

Seriously you had time to drag up a thread from 2009 ? Really ?

Im not sure the people that made a judgement on a young, out of his comfort zone creative midfielder, struggling in a team that was on the way down....... Shouldnt be the ones hanging their heads in shame

FWIW I didnt comment on this thread but always saw something in Morgan, glad that he has turned into the force that he has