Saints vs WBA Build Up Thread

nta786

Yep, same. Also has a similar feel to the Sunderland home game last year, 2nd game of the season as well I think? Drew 1-1 with a last minute header from Fonte I believe, that was a damn slog against what was at that point, and utter utter dog **** Paulo Di Canio team.

Sunderland have been our bogey side the last two seasons to be fair, I'm rather sick of them.

Yep, same. Also has a similar feel to the Sunderland home game last year, 2nd game of the season as well I think? Drew 1-1 with a last minute header from Fonte I believe, that was a damn slog against what was at that point, and utter utter dog **** Paulo Di Canio team.

Sunderland have been our bogey side the last two seasons to be fair, I'm rather sick of them.

ffs, i was starting to believe.

I can only imagine WBA will come to shut up shop, which was something we did pretty well against last term

Surely not, new side lost all our best players, negative media whispers all the time... I'd imagine most teams will be targeting us for three points even at St Mary's, should suit us just fine.

I can only imagine WBA will come to shut up shop, which was something we did pretty well against last term

Surely not, new side lost all our best players, negative media whispers all the time... I'd imagine most teams will be targeting us for three points even at St Mary's, should suit us just fine.

They will play on the break with the pace and power of Berihino and Anichibe I reckon. and rely a lot on the midfield doggedness of Mulumbu and Gardner.

Will be a slog I reckon. Won't get too down hearted or excited whatever the outcome though.

They will play on the break with the pace and power of Berihino and Anichibe I reckon. and rely a lot on the midfield doggedness of Mulumbu and Gardner.

Will be a slog I reckon. Won't get too down hearted or excited whatever the outcome though.

The question mark over Davis's place is that since we're now missing goals from Lambert, Lallana & JRod, the midfield will probably have to pick up a bit more of the goal scoring slack unless Tadic, Pelle & Long all settle immediately. Unfortunately, apart from popping up to knock in a couple of late efforts against already beaten opponents, Davis just doesn't look like he'll score many. He's a good player, very energetic and he plays a very disciplined tactical game, but with Wanyama & Schneiderlin at DM there's room to accommodate someone with a bit more of a goal threat.

The question mark over Davis's place is that since we're now missing goals from Lambert, Lallana & JRod, the midfield will probably have to pick up a bit more of the goal scoring slack unless Tadic, Pelle & Long all settle immediately. Unfortunately, apart from popping up to knock in a couple of late efforts against already beaten opponents, Davis just doesn't look like he'll score many. He's a good player, very energetic and he plays a very disciplined tactical game, but with Wanyama & Schneiderlin at DM there's room to accommodate someone with a bit more of a goal threat.

Staggered to read people saying drop JWP. Thought he was terrific.

His dead-ball delivery is worth accommodating for any slight deficiencies he may have been seen to have v Liverpool. Would like to see Taider get a chance after he looked effective v Leverkusen but i'm sure his time will come.

Staggered to read people saying drop JWP. Thought he was terrific.

His dead-ball delivery is worth accommodating for any slight deficiencies he may have been seen to have v Liverpool. Would like to see Taider get a chance after he looked effective v Leverkusen but i'm sure his time will come.

Right, onto our next game, one I can see us winning :) I hope!

Same team as last time for me, except Taider for Davis, and possibly Shane Long for JWP.

Anyone know if Gardos is available? Him too then.

Hopefully we continue our performance from Liverpool game onto this one!

Prediction- 2-0 :)

I would swap Shane Long for Pelle and leave JWP in personally, maybe Taider for Davis though.

This is a tougher game than against Pool. We are at home and expectations are higher.

These sort of games are the type that will decide survival or relegation.

I think we will struggle to get 3 points on this one.

Yep agreed it's always tougher to play worst players at home.

We were crying out for some width on the right vs Liverpool.

Love S.Davis but would bring someone in for him.

Understandable comment. Stephen Davis was excellent last season but his performance at Liverpool was sadly disappointing. But I doubt Koeman will drop him for one poor game because he will not want to damage the confidence of a key player and by keeping the bulk of last season's team in place, he is using consistency to maintain team spirit. Tadic, Pelle, and Bertrand are in as like for like replacements for the departed players, with Gardos to join them when he is fit, which won't be this week. Unless anyone is out for injury, he same starting 11 looks likely at this stage. I'd expect Koeman to give Taider, Long and others an opportunity to force their way into the team by getting some playing time off the bench. Isgrove will probably lose his place on the bench when the new wideman is signed although he could lose it this week if Ramirez is fit and given a chance.

Just feel Richardson could cover the whole width of the pitch better in the front sweeper role.

Also Seaborne is no longer at the club, joined Partick Thistle last week for an undisclosed fee.

I think bring on Jimmy Gabriel to replace SD to add a bit of bite in midfield.

Same team for me. Starting with Pelle, Tadic and Long is putting all our eggs in one basket with the few attacking options we have. If things aren't going well who do you bring on to change things? Mayuka? Leave Long on the bench as an impact player until we get another winger in.

Sick of duffing up the first home game of the season. Wigan and then Sunderland. Won't be an easy game but mustn't play into their hands allowing Berahino to hit us on the break. Clean sheet would be good for confidence after leaking two soft goals at Anfield. Would be delighted with a 1-0. Don't care if its scrappy.

Isgrove, Taider, maybe even Ramirez on the bench?

Agree Long on the bench is more worrying for WBA if saints aren't winning, they'll be fearing him coming on to win it. But think we should be confident with this one, best 11 and attack them.

Isgrove isn't good enough to change a game (IMO) and Taider is a CM. Not sure I'm confident in Ramirez coming into a game where we're struggling and turning things round either.

But maybe I'm being overly negative - we should be looking to dominate the game from the word go so I see your point. However I'm also a big fan of Steven Davis and despite a poor performance on Sunday I think we're significantly weaker without him in the side.

However I'm also a big fan of Steven Davis and despite a poor performance on Sunday I think we're significantly weaker without him in the side.

Pochettino's square passing, slowly, slowly game probably suited Steven Davis better than Koeman's fast moving longer ball stuff but no doubt he will adapt quickly. He was never a man with genuine pace, more a reader of the game, a battler and a winner so you'd leave him out at your peril especially during this bedding down period of our new team's history.