Ronald Koeman on Artur Boruc's future at Saints

Saint-Armstrong

"I have spoken to Artur and said ‘I know you want to move.’ That is normal."

"Until deadline day he will not be involved in the team and after that we will see what the situation is. We will see what is best for Artur and best for the club."

"I want people who want to play for the club and it is clear Artur feels he should be in the team."

Quotes from - 18:51 on the timeline: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-rumours-live-mario-4082385

He's off then. Pretty frustrating as it means that the signing of Forster hasn't actually changed anything in terms of that position.

Yes it has. We now have a better and younger keeper. I appreciate the point on cover though.

Still an injury away from non-PL standard keepers though.

Agreed, it's a cover issue. FF will doubtless look after himself better than AB though and hopefully won't miss too much footy.

Anyways, the signings so far suggest that areas of weakness are known and being covered. We'll be OK.

If Davis and Gazza are the backup again this season then its a pretty poor show.

We would be lucky to win a league game with either playing - as proven last season.

Worst thing is Im not even sure which of them I would prefer to play. Kelvin seems like the answer, but then he is just too old to be expected to come in and perform at a level he struggled at during his goalkeeping peak.

Gazza needs to be loaned out and we need another keeper to be no 2.

Bottom line is the club did well getting Forster but have created a situation whereby it will be hard to get another keeper in of a good enough standard as a no 2. Gazza hasnt kicked on as expected and is quite frankly an embarassment at PL level.

Have to look hard to find a PL side with a poorer set of backup keepers. Plenty of Championship teams have a no 2 that is more capable now than a 38 year old Davis.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Won one. Drew two. Lost seven. Our record in prem games with Davis and Gazza between the sticks.

Would happen again this season. Especially with Gazza. Wasnt his save percentage something like 25% versus most PL keepers in the 70's?

It was probably the biggest factor in our poorest form last season, would be amazed if its not resolved for this year. Madness.

We are. We have one excellent. One poor and one awful.

Have you seen Gazza play recently? Is he doing OK in the U21s? Johns and Cropper seem to have between them let in 12 goals in 3 games, while Gazza has been between the sticks for the last 2 games and let in 2.

Would happen again this season. Especially with Gazza. Wasnt his save percentage something like 25% versus most PL keepers in the 70's?

It was probably the biggest factor in our poorest form last season, would be amazed if its not resolved for this year. Madness.

Just imagine how bad Cropper must be to have not been given a start.

Have you seen Gazza play recently? Is he doing OK in the U21s? Johns and Cropper seem to have between them let in 12 goals in 3 games, while Gazza has been between the sticks for the last 2 games and let in 2.

Ive seen the U21 highlights. Most of the players are 16-18.

Its hardly anything to judge on. He needs proper mens football and to get some confidence because he was awful when he played last year. Utterly awful. Nobody can dispute that.

I was at the Brighton game pre season and Davis cocked up there out of nowhere. He doesnt look the right athletic shape to play PL football. In football terms, giving him a 3 year contract AFTER he was dropped from the team, was a strange one.

No way an established keeper would come here now. Will either be a better than Gazza upcoming youngster or an old timer looking for a final payday.

As someone else posted, Kuszczak and Hilario are both available on free transfers and could do a much better job as deputy than KD or Gazzaniga

2012/3

Gazza Played 9 Goals conceded 12 Clean sheets 1 Goals per game 1.3

Kelvin Played 10 Goals conceded 20 Clean sheets 0 Goals per game 2.0

Artur Played 20 Goals conceded 28 Clean sheets 5 Goals per game 1.4

but then things change somewhat in 2013/4

Gazza Played 8 Goals conceded 15 Clean sheets 1 Goals per game 1.875

Kelvin Played 2 Goals conceded 5 Clean sheets 0 Goals per game 2.5

Artur Played 29 Goals conceded 26 Clean sheets 14 Goals per game 0.897

I guess Gazza might be the one to be back up rather than Kelvin.

Won one. Drew two. Lost seven. Our record in prem games with Davis and Gazza between the sticks.

Those games:

Gazzaniga:

Chelsea (away) L 1-3 (1-1 when Gazzaniga came on)

Aston Villa (home) L 2-3

Man City (home) D 1-1

Newcastle (away) D 1-1

Tottenham (home) L 2-3

Cardiff (away) W 3-0

Man City (away) L 1-4

Cardiff (home) L 0-1

Davis:

Everton (away) L 1-2

Chelsea (home) L 0-3

Not looking to suggest either of them are good enough, but many of those results could easily have happened with a first-choice keeper available. Chelsea, Man City, Everton - 1 draw from 5 games against those three teams, which is about what we might have expected against them anyway. The only games where our reserve keeper actually cost us points were Villa and Spurs.

Sad to see yet another soppy prima donna footballers that can't be bothered with the absolute basics of being a professional.

Fingers crossed we're able to source a decent back-up option, there must be one out there, although 2nd choice keeper is probably the hardest position in football to recruit for.

It will be interesting to see where Boruc ends up, I'm not sure how many decent level teams around Europe will be looking to offer big wages and a decent contract to a stroppy, injury prone 34 year old, he came to us in the September 2012 whilst without a club for a reason.

Sad to see yet another soppy prima donna footballers that can't be bothered with the absolute basics of being a professional.

Fingers crossed we're able to source a decent back-up option, there must be one out there, although 2nd choice keeper is probably the hardest position in football to recruit for.

It will be interesting to see where Boruc ends up, I'm not sure how many decent level teams around Europe will be looking to offer big wages and a decent contract to a stroppy, injury prone 34 year old, he came to us in the September 2012 whilst without a club for a reason.

And probably helped keep you in epl in 12/13 and was on of best epl keepers in 13/14

Injury prone? Two games with a back injury is hardly injury prone.

Forster could break his hand next week and miss exact same amount of games anyone would with a broken hand

Yes it has. We now have a better and younger keeper. I appreciate the point on cover though.

We have a younger keeper, but the jury is out whether FF is better. There is no evidence that he is. England's #3 vs Poland's #1. I admit his kicking and distribution looked a lot better than Boruc's though, but as for saving goals, who knows.

And probably helped keep you in epl in 12/13 and was on of best epl keepers in 13/14

You keep saying this stuff like Boruc was doing us a favour. We took him as a free agent and he did well. And we paid him to do his job. We don't owe him anything.

We've now spent ten million quid on a keeper the club think is a better option.

The sooner he goes the better, If nothing else to get you off this forum.

Boruc has only been here a few seasons but the odds have always been a little stacked against him.

He was only signed after Davis proved what we all suspected - that his keeping is not up to PL standard.

At the end of his first season we tried to replace him despite him signing a contract extension.

This summer the club finally got the young English keeper they wanted (I'd imagine that was one of the things discussed with Dave Watson when he was in negotiations).

Boruc has only been here a few seasons but the odds have always been a little stacked against him.

He was only signed after Davis proved what we all suspected - that his keeping is not up to PL standard.

At the end of his first season we tried to replace him despite him signing a contract extension.

This summer the club finally got the young English keeper they wanted (I'd imagine that was one of the things discussed with Dave Watson when he was in negotiations).

How did we try and replace Boruc at the end of his first season?

Those games:

Gazzaniga:

Chelsea (away) L 1-3 (1-1 when Gazzaniga came on)

Aston Villa (home) L 2-3

Man City (home) D 1-1

Newcastle (away) D 1-1

Tottenham (home) L 2-3

Cardiff (away) W 3-0

Man City (away) L 1-4

Cardiff (home) L 0-1

Davis:

Everton (away) L 1-2

Chelsea (home) L 0-3

Not looking to suggest either of them are good enough, but many of those results could easily have happened with a first-choice keeper available. Chelsea, Man City, Everton - 1 draw from 5 games against those three teams, which is about what we might have expected against them anyway. The only games where our reserve keeper actually cost us points were Villa and Spurs.

Wasn't his record In the early part of the season Truly awful, something like 11 goals conceded from 15 shots on target or something similar. The goalkeeper that doesn't make saves.

Can anyone actually think of a keeper that would come here knowing full well he will be second choice? Would have to be a free agent probably.
It's a tough ask for our recruitment team, but across the whole of Europe there must be a keeper who would be keen for the wages he could earn in the PL, while having an outside opportunity to make a name for himself in cup games. Any keepers coming to the end of their careers? In theory Gazzaniga should have been the perfect choice, young, keen to learn, still a bit raw, but ready to be coached and learn in league cup games etc, adequate enough to cover the odd game if called upon - he did have a good reputation in the game as an up-and-coming 'keeper, he just hasn't fulfilled that promise.

Whilst many might be panicking about the prospect of Gazzaniga or Davis playing a load of games for us this season, on average, how many games do most first choice keepers miss each season? Boruc was a bit of an exception for us, he missed more than most do and therefore left us exposed to our 2nd choices more than most.

You keep saying this stuff like Boruc was doing us a favour. We took him as a free agent and he did well. And we paid him to do his job. We don't owe him anything.

We've now spent ten million quid on a keeper the club think is a better option.

The sooner he goes the better, If nothing else to get you off this forum.

Exactly. He was available on free and no one had signed him, he was in terrible shape when he arrived and took a good few months to get fit. I like Boruc, hes been a good player for us and quite a good character but he was paid to do a job and did it well after being left on the shelf by the numerous other clubs who need a keeper the summer he was available for nothing. I keep reading that goalkeepers play until they're 40 but as has Been pointed out not many are first team regulars past their mid thirties in the PL and the ones that do are keep themselves in fantastic shape, like Fridel and James, Boruc doesn't.

Edited by Turkish

Wasn't his record In the early part of the season Truly awful, something like 11 goals conceded from 15 shots on target or something similar. The goalkeeper that doesn't make saves.

I seem to recall at some stage, that statistically Gazza was the best of the 3. I presume that that was in 12/13.

FF and AB are probably quite similar except FF is hopefully less prone to mistakes such as at Arsenal and Stoke, and various short passes.

Injury prone? Two games with a back injury is hardly injury prone.

Forster could break his hand next week and miss exact same amount of games anyone would with a broken hand

By goalkeeper standards he seemed to be injury prone, I remember him struggling in a few games for us carrying a strain http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10740448.Boruc_injury_worry/

Where have I suggested he wasn't a good keeper for us in 12/13 or 13/14?

Lets be realistic here. There is no way that we will sign a backup that could walk into any other team as #1 and may only play 2 games a season ( 1- lge cup and 1 - fa cup LOL).

Personally think that Gazza will be the backup eventually, after the club captain retires/contract expires/gets a coaching gig.

Boruc will leave before Sep 1 and take Irene with him )

None of the above was a dig at Davis who got the long contract extension for loyalty and past performances.

As all ways my opinion.

For 2013/14

Chelsea - Cech 34 games, Scwarzer 4 games

Man City - Hart 31 games, Pantilimon 7 games

Arsenal - Szczesny 37 games, Fabianksi 1 game

Man Utd - De Gea 37 games, Lindegaard 1 game

Liverpool - Mignolet 38 games

Spurs - Lloris 37 games, Friedel 1 game

Everton - Howard 37 games, Robles 1 game

Newcaste - Krul 36 games, Elliot 2 games

Stoke - Begovic 32 games, Butland 3 games, Sorensen 4 games

Swansea - Vorm 26 games, Tremmel 12 games

etc etc

Spurs have managed to get Vorm to be 2nd choice this season.

For 2013/14

Chelsea - Cech 34 games, Scwarzer 4 games

Man City - Hart 31 games, Pantilimon 7 games

Arsenal - Szczesny 37 games, Fabianksi 1 game

Man Utd - De Gea 37 games, Lindegaard 1 game

Liverpool - Mignolet 38 games

Spurs - Lloris 37 games, Friedel 1 game

Everton - Howard 37 games, Robles 1 game

Newcaste - Krul 36 games, Elliot 2 games

Stoke - Begovic 32 games, Butland 3 games, Sorensen 4 games

Swansea - Vorm 26 games, Tremmel 12 games

etc etc

Spurs have managed to get Vorm to be 2nd choice this season.[/QUOTE]

With Levy's pieces of silver LOL

Exactly. He was available on free and no one had signed him, he was in terrible shape when he arrived and took a good few months to get fit. I like Boruc, hes been a good player for us and quite a good character but he was paid to do a job and did it well after being left on the shelf by the numerous other clubs who need a keeper the summer he was available for nothing. I keep reading that goalkeepers play until they're 40 but as has Been pointed out not many are first team regulars past their mid thirties in the PL and the ones that do are keep themselves in fantastic shape, like Fridel and James, Boruc doesn't.

What makes you say that?

857_2.jpg