What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Limeys are notorious for being obsessively judgmental and poking your noses in where it doesnt belong and this thread just highlights that.

Whereas the good ole USA is a paragon of virtue when it comes to not interfering in other countries' affairs, isn't it? You've certainly developed the trait that is associated with most Americans, that they don't understand irony.

Whereas the good ole USA is a paragon of virtue when it comes to not interfering in other countries' affairs, isn't it? You've certainly developed the trait that is associated with most Americans, that they don't understand irony.

Spot on. Korea and Vietnam spring immediately to mind. If you want a perfect example of what you get when you give our dear friends the Yankees some firepower you need look no further than the My Lai massacre. Not only do you have a good example of poking their noses in but also a perfect example of how some Americans think you should deal with unarmed civilians in a stressful situation. No doubt getting their own back on the "dinks" "gooks" and "slopes" for the kicking they took at the Little Big Horn by the "redskins."

Mrs SOG and I stayed in Midhurst last weekend (The Spread Eagle, can recommend it) and on the trip across Kent and Sussex saw the odd Union Jack and COSG flying in people's gardens. As St.G mentioned the other day, virtually ever fekker in the country flies the Stars & Stripes in the USA and it got me to thinking why? You don't see Poles or Nigerians flying their flags here apart from the Embassys (well I don't anyway) so why do we bother and why do the Yanks bother so much? I am proud of what my country has achieved over the years but don't feel the need to fly a flag to prove it. Anyone here fly the flag and if so, why? By the way, I don't have an issue with anyone flying any flag they want on their property. Should add that I spent some time in Seattle a few years back and the lady I was living with used to fly the S & S as did most of her neighbours (or neighbors). I went on a shopping trip one day and managed to find a Union Jack which from that day forth used to fly from her veranda when I was in residence. Confused the f*ck out of the locals.

Never mind all this tiresome gun violence stuff, a much more serious issue effecting the good old US of A has been brought to my attention. I read in the paper today - and I can hardly believe this - that in the United States they have never heard of that staple of civilised dining, the SAUSAGE ROLL. :eek:

Can our resident N American correspondents please confirm whether this shocking revelation is indeed correct, and if so, how on Earth do you poor people survive without the God of Puff Pastries? I suppose prolonged sausage roll deprivation certainly would go a long way towards explaining why St George and Sarnia went so mad over there ...

article-2204895-15128C31000005DC-539_468x286.jpg

Never mind all this tiresome gun violence stuff, a much more serious issue effecting the good old US of A has been brought to my attention. I read in the paper today - and I can hardly believe this - that in the United States they have never heard of that staple of civilised dining, the SAUSAGE ROLL. :eek:

Can our resident N American correspondents please confirm whether this shocking revelation is indeed correct, and if so, how on Earth do you poor people survive without the God of Puff Pastries? I suppose prolonged sausage roll deprivation certainly would go a long way towards explaining why St George and Sarnia went so mad over there ...

It's true here in Canada: no sausage roll; no Cornish pasty. But you can get samosas and tyropitas and spanikopitas. It's a travesty!

Even though I am too old and health-conscious now to actually eat a sausage roll it is still comforting to know that they exist and are available locally.

Fookin nanny state has banned U11s from heading a football as it's dangerous. Fookin government telling us how to lead our lives. Fookin nanny state.

Wrong again fool....Youth national teams and academies, and Major League Soccer youth club teams who self imposed the heading restriction for under 10's and 13's after substantial child concussion research are private entities and have absolutely nothing to do with the US Federal, or State Governments, although i wouldn't expect you, as a 'subject' of one of the worlds most oppressive nanny states to even be able to comprehend the difference....It's all "they" to people like you.

I couldn't resist it. I've brought back my "Saint George" character for a few more posts. Sometimes it's just too easy to churn out some troll-by-numbers obvious stuff. I always like using the word 'subject' in speech marks, that's a really good one. But sorry I forgot to put in a "limey" or two. Bit rusty after a couple of weeks off.

I couldn't resist it. I've brought back my "Saint George" character for a few more posts. Sometimes it's just too easy to churn out some troll-by-numbers obvious stuff. I always like using the word 'subject' in speech marks, that's a really good one. But sorry I forgot to put in a "limey" or two. Bit rusty after a couple of weeks off.

And no 'y'alls' - it's as if your N'orlins drawl comes and go

Wrong again fool....Youth national teams and academies, and Major League Soccer youth club teams who self imposed the heading restriction for under 10's and 13's after substantial child concussion research are private entities and have absolutely nothing to do with the US Federal, or State Governments, although i wouldn't expect you, as a 'subject' of one of the worlds most oppressive nanny states to even be able to comprehend the difference....It's all "they" to people like you.

Did you still want another picture of my bottom to ejaculate over?

Must be hard knowing so many served their country whilst your served canapes.

To be fair to SG he wouldn't know which country's uniform to wear. You're not Italian are you SG?

He's most comfy in a waiters uniform.

It's must be hard for old George when asked by the good ole boys if he served. I'm sure he says yes, then looks away sheepishly when I he knows he was thinking solely of all those vol au vents.

Drink sir? Canape madam?

Do try to adopt a more stoic attitude in the face of such provocation ...

He doesn't provoke me. I just laugh at is ill aimed rants. It's hard to be provoked by a tired and thick old man who spent his life serving drinks to his betters.

Nice to know he loves my bum though. My cheeks are rock hard due to all the cycling. Just think of that Georgie, if your old ticker can take it, my lovely rock hard bum.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet more graphic images of violence I'm afraid - but this time from the mean streets of Chicago rather than Paris:

The ''dashcam'' video is silent, but note that the (black) teenager involved in this appalling 2014 incident doesn't appear to present any kind of immediate threat and is perhaps killed simply for not following police instructions while holding a knife. Please also note that after falling to the ground the policeman then continues to shoot the (now defenceless) 17 year-old as he lays there bleeding.

Atypically, the officer concerned has actually been charged with 'First Degree Murder' by the DA. However, despite the evidence it seems that the prospects of a conviction remain very much a 'open question' at this time given the past record of similiar prosecutions in the USA.

Summary justice dispensed on the street. You cant hear the instructions but agree that he doesn't appear to be posing a threat at the point he is shot. Once shot and down why then fill him with more holes? It seems to be the Wild West mentality. They don't seem bothered about incapacitating the victim. No middle ground. Just take him out. Full stop.

Summary justice dispensed on the street. You cant hear the instructions but agree that he doesn't appear to be posing a threat at the point he is shot. Once shot and down why then fill him with more holes? It seems to be the Wild West mentality. They don't seem bothered about incapacitating the victim. No middle ground. Just take him out. Full stop.

And in a nutshell this does appear to be a large part of the problem. Somebody else earlier on in the thread pointed to the American psyche and how this sort of behaviour would appear to be entrenched. I totally agree with the point that was made at the time and this does nothing but reinforce it. The officer took all of 6 seconds from getting out to the car to deciding that he would engage lethal force - just incredible really.

It's on par with an earlier video that was posted of an armed man in a wheel chair, who was also shot and killed. Is there really no other option - I think not. As somebody who has worked with and used firearms in the past I really think that there were better options. However, once the officer had decided to use the gun, why not fire a warning shot, why not aim for the lower limbs (he was close enough). But why, oh why, continue to fire at a suspect laying on the floor - it just beggars belief.

But as I said earlier - I tend to agree that it is part of the American psyche and as a result, it is almost acceptable to some, now the norm.

Nothing to see here, other than a dead 17 year old youth, move along America.

He can do very little, his hands are tied by Congress.

Not much point in being the most powerful man in the West then! He could bring more pressure to bear and push for the total ban on automatic weapons to start with. Someone needs to make a stand and what better person to come out and start the ball rolling than the Head Honcho?

Not much point in being the most powerful man in the West then! He could bring more pressure to bear and push for the total ban on automatic weapons to start with. Someone needs to make a stand and what better person to come out and start the ball rolling than the Head Honcho?

He really cant. Its a Republican dominated Congress, highly partisan. The US system was deliberately set up to avoid either congress or the President having too much power, so unless they work together you just have stasis.

The only way is to tighten the gun laws, but then the hicks, rednecks, mentally challenged, self made militia and religious cranks will come out of their shacks all guns blazing fighting against oppression and make the whole situation worse whilst the ordinary folk will arm themselves to the hilt to defend themselves.

He really cant. Its a Republican dominated Congress, highly partisan. The US system was deliberately set up to avoid either congress or the President having too much power, so unless they work together you just have stasis.

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to US politics, so you may have to excuse me. So what you're saying in effect is that this situation can never, ever be changed. The US gun laws can never ever be changed, where we are is where we are and they can never be improved.

I'm dumb on politics, but pretty hot on good old common sense - that stance, if true, is just pure bollux.

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to US politics, so you may have to excuse me. So what you're saying in effect is that this situation can never, ever be changed. The US gun laws can never ever be changed, where we are is where we are and they can never be improved.

I'm dumb on politics, but pretty hot on good old common sense - that stance, if true, is just pure bollux.

Basically congress and the President can veto each other - so if the majority of Congress is of the opposite party to the President, as it is atm, then pretty much neither side can do anything. Thats why for example they never get round to dealing with their debt. Obviously if the majority of congress is from the same party as the Prseident then things can change easily.

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlestop/teacher_lessons/3branches/5.htm

Home grown if so, the man was born in Illinois, although his wife ( shooter #2 ) seems to be Saudi.

And all their firearms were legally acquired.

just heard someone from the state department suggest that islamic radicalisation could be at play here. with links to ISIS

just heard someone from the state department suggest that islamic radicalisation could be at play here. with links to ISIS

It's just weird - the apparent course of events is that they took their child to a relative before going to the centre for a celebration, duirng which they had a row and then went out to get the guns.

great headline:

_87008114_nydailynews.jpg

Good isn't it. Has a lot of people talking (positively and negatively) about it. I think it's a great (regardless of the motives from yesterday's attack) sentiment showing the hypocrisy of modern day US right wing greedy politics.