What is wrong with America

Red Alert

It’s bewildering how neither the Republicans or Democrats can find anyone younger/less mental to represent them. Biden looks like a decent guy but at 81 he’s clearly not fit to be president, Trump is just so unsuitable for the job it’s scary. You would think if either side had someone younger and vaguely human they would win by a landslide. Weird place.

• Like 2

It is not as if Trump hadn’t been making the same gaffes though…

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2024/02/09/both-biden--trump-have-had-their-share-of-verbal-gaffes

This man has already been and could become the next President of the US. At least it gives Duckhunter a laugh.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/11/donald-trump-says-he-would-encourage-russia-to-attack-nato-countries-who-dont-pay-bills

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, whelk said:

Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68266447

please can someone put a bullet through this cunt’s head

In many respects, he has a point. For decades, Europe as a whole have taken the US comfort blanket for granted.

Germany have increased spending since this set of data was collected, but they are starting from a piss-poor base. I know our spending is inclusive of pension payments (maybe the same for the other nations), and France include the Gendarmerie in theirs.

We are what, now the 3rd biggest spenders in NATO (now behind Germany), and look at the state of our armed forces...and no one in the UK who matters cares (enough).

image.thumb.png.1198c98095a4dfb63a877f3e0a22136e.png

20 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

In many respects, he has a point. For decades, Europe as a whole have taken the US comfort blanket for granted.

Aye; if one cuts through Trump's usual rhetoric / hyperbole / poor attempt at tongue-in-cheek humour, there is a valid underlying point there. 

Out of interest, does anyone know the history / backgrouind behind why so many countries don't adhere to the 2% of GDP committment? Are there underlying valid reasons why they don't / can't comply or is all based on political posturing etc? (I've never looked into it so genuinely interested if there's any Saintswebbers out there who are experts in this area)

Edited by trousers

35 minutes ago, trousers said:

Aye; if one cuts through Trump's usual rhetoric / hyperbole / poor attempt at tongue-in-cheek humour, there is a valid underlying point there. 

Out of interest, does anyone know the history / backgrouind behind why so many countries don't adhere to the 2% of GDP committment? Are there underlying valid reasons why they don't / can't comply or is all based on political posturing etc? (I've never looked into it so genuinely interested if there's any Saintswebbers out there who are experts in this area)

In the case of Luxembourg the economy is so inflated by international investment money that if it spent 2% then probably every citizen would be driving a tank.

For those that spend more, like the Baltics, Poland, and Greece, they are facing existential or perceived threats, for low spenders like Spain there has not been that historical imperative, and changing now presents big challenges to spending priorities;

https://www.euronews.com/2023/04/07/nato-why-is-spending-2-of-gdp-on-defence-so-controversial

The 2% pledge was made in 2015, and most countries made it on the basis of GDP growth projections, that never really materialised even before the Pandemic hit. Realistically it is an aspiration, as for example it is highly unlikely that Germany is going to be able to double it's defence spending any time soon, despite the situation in Ukraine.

Edited by badgerx16

6 hours ago, trousers said:

At the end of the day the UK is probably the most difficult country ( in Europe) for Russia to attack conventionally, and we have our own nukes.

Continental Europe have far more to worry about.

Edited by Challenger

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

In the case of Luxembourg the economy is so inflated by international investment money that if it spent 2% then probably every citizen would be driving a tank.

For those that spend more, like the Baltics, Poland, and Greece, they are facing existential or perceived threats, for low spenders like Spain there has not been that historical imperative, and changing now presents big challenges to spending priorities;

https://www.euronews.com/2023/04/07/nato-why-is-spending-2-of-gdp-on-defence-so-controversial

The 2% pledge was made in 2015, and most countries made it on the basis of GDP growth projections, that never really materialised even before the Pandemic hit. Realistically it is an aspiration, as for example it is highly unlikely that Germany is going to be able to double it's defence spending any time soon, despite the situation in Ukraine.

There is also an element of smoke and mirrors even in the UK. All kinds of costs are included in our supposed defence expenditure  - pensions, notional value of training land if it were used for housing which was then rented out, the jets used by politicians and the royal family etc etc. 'Real' expenditure is supposed to be nearer 1.6% 

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Seeing increasing chatter about Michelle Obama being lined up to replace Biden. No idea if true. 

Think it is wishful thinking but would love to be true. She should do it if only out if duty to ensure Trump gets fucked

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whelk said:

The Biden gaffs of late have probably helped any wavering Dems become convinced he is not fit to stand and will not draw voters

7 hours ago, whelk said:

Think it is wishful thinking but would love to be true. She should do it if only out if duty to ensure Trump gets fucked

Probably is wishful thinking but I imagine many people wish it to be true. The Obamas might be the only people able persuade him to stand aside - he was Baracks VP and Michelle and Bidens wife Jill were friends apparently,  

Edited by buctootim

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Apparently some members are paying more than 2%. I agree that Trump/the US have a right to expect member nations in NATO to pay their way, where it turns into the usual Trump batshit crazy land is where he says if they don’t, then Russia can do what they like with them. That stuff might go down well in a redneck roadhouse, but it has no place in international politics - not least when there is another sociopath looking to exploit any weaknesses in the West.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Apparently some members are paying more than 2%. I agree that Trump/the US have a right to expect member nations in NATO to pay their way, where it turns into the usual Trump batshit crazy land is where he says if they don’t, then Russia can do what they like with them. That stuff might go down well in a redneck roadhouse, but it has no place in international politics - not least when there is another sociopath looking to exploit any weaknesses in the West.

The more the USA foots Europe’s defence bill, the more control they expect - which I know you hate

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

What a load of old pony. 

12 hours ago, buctootim said:

Probably is wishful thinking but I imagine many people wish it to be true. The Obamas might be the only people able persuade him to stand aside - he was Baracks VP and Michelle and Bidens wife Jill were friends apparently,  

Yup, this 'romantic' notion that she could be the chosen one is so far fetched. She's linked only by the fact that her husband and Joe were/are close...and he could have a word in the old man's ear, etc?! Oh and she's had first hand experience of the White House...  Incidentally, did anyone notice Trump Jnr's recent tweet comparing her to an NFL linebacker? I'd personally like to see a bullet put in his head first.

realistically, the most obvious replacement is California governor.....Arnie....no, Gavin Newsom, but he seems to have ruled himself out in this cycle. FFS. Useless, lazy, apathetic fools in allowing Trump another go.

12 hours ago, LVSaint said:

realistically, the most obvious replacement is California governor.....Arnie....no, Gavin Newsom, but he seems to have ruled himself out in this cycle. FFS. Useless, lazy, apathetic fools in allowing Trump another go.

Isnt that a tactical 'there is no vacancy and dont want to appear grasping and disloyal' ruling himself out? I'm sure if Biden said tomorrow he isnt going to stand again Newsom would run. Newsom is impressive, seems to have endless facts and figures at his fingertips. Not sure howe a gay guy would go down in many states tho. Perhaps it doesnt matter if they are firmly red and Trump anyhow.  

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Isnt that a tactical 'there is no vacancy and dont want to appear grasping and disloyal' ruling himself out? I'm sure if Biden said tomorrow he isnt going to stand again Newsom would run. Newsom is impressive, seems to have endless facts and figures at his fingertips. Not sure howe a gay guy would go down in many states tho. Perhaps it doesnt matter if they are firmly red and Trump anyhow.  

Hopefully it's a matter of tactical timing then.

Newsom is impressive and would give Trump a spanking in the debates. He's straight, are you confusing him with Buttigieg?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LVSaint said:

Yup, this 'romantic' notion that she could be the chosen one is so far fetched. She's linked only by the fact that her husband and Joe were/are close...and he could have a word in the old man's ear, etc?! Oh and she's had first hand experience of the White House...  Incidentally, did anyone notice Trump Jnr's recent tweet comparing her to an NFL linebacker? I'd personally like to see a bullet put in his head first.

I saw an interview recently with Gavin Newsom and that was the first time I'd really heard him speak in detail.  He was quite impressive and certainly seemed to be a cut above both Biden and Trump.  I think he's doing a tour of the red states at the moment?  

Michelle Obama with Barak as VP would be good but probably wishful thinking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I saw an interview recently with Gavin Newsom and that was the first time I'd really heard him speak in detail.  He was quite impressive and certainly seemed to be a cut above both Biden and Trump.  I think he's doing a tour of the red states at the moment?  

Michelle Obama with Barak as VP would be good but probably wishful thinking.

Would Barak even be allowed to be VP, having been president for 2 terms

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Does this ruling effectively outlaw IVF ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68366337

As soon as I started reading it, I was wondering about the implications for abortion. Which it went onto cover.

"The wrongful death law applied to "all unborn children, regardless of their location", the decision said.

Concurring with the majority opinion, Chief Justice Tom Parker wrote: "Even before birth, all human beings have the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory."

The bit in bold stood out, and prompted me to go back to the top, where I'd missed "Alabama" first time.

It also explains why the pics of my scans show me with a beard, robe and sandals. 🙂

On 22/02/2024 at 09:21, badgerx16 said:

Does this ruling effectively outlaw IVF ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68366337

How does it affect IVF, this hasn't been explained in anything I've read. Are they saying its wrong to extract the embryos in the first place, or that it will be wrong to implant them. 

It's a weird state of affairs. Surely the family who's embryos were ruined could have just sued for negligence. And a person wandered in a dropped them. It all sounds a bit suspect.

And the quote "Even before birth, all human beings have the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory" sounds like something from Iran.

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

How does it affect IVF, this hasn't been explained in anything I've read. Are they saying its wrong to extract the embryos in the first place, or that it will be wrong to implant them.

They are implying it is wrong to destroy the unused 'embryos', which further implies they have to be preserved indefinitely. This was the premise of my OP - what medical facility is going to do that?

Edited by badgerx16

36 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's a weird state of affairs. Surely the family who's embryos were ruined could have just sued for negligence. And a person wandered in a dropped them. It all sounds a bit suspect.

I imagine they can get more cash for wrongful death than negligence?

36 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

They are implying it is wrong to destroy the unused 'embryos', which further implies they have to be preserved indefinitely. This was the premise of my OP - what medical facility is going to do that?

That makes sense, thanks.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sleepy Joe successfully easing tensions in the middle east again. I wondered why the Israelis hadn’t attacked Haifa, now I know. Old Joe warned them off doing so. 

The leader of the free world folks 

Good times!

The options are that or Trump! Despots around the globe are rubbing their hands.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sleepy Joe successfully easing tensions in the middle east again. I wondered why the Israelis hadn’t attacked Haifa, now I know. Old Joe warned them off doing so. 

The leader of the free world folks 

The alternative making a speech in Pennsylvania at the weekend;

"Gettysburg, what an unbelievable battle that was. I mean, it was so much and so interesting and so vicious and horrible and so beautiful in so many different ways, It represented such a big portion of the success this country. Gettysburg, wow."

• Like 1