Schneiderlin To Join Everton

TopGun

How is there no risk in spending £15m+ and more in wages on a player who's hardly played this season, could bring psychological baggage with him and risks unsettling one of our players of the season? You're free to make the case but the risks must be considered.

By no risk, I mean that there is no risk that he comes to the prem only to find he can't cut it, as so many players have in the past. To get that sort of talent and know it will perform at the very top level usually costs a damn sight more than £15m. It simply is not a gamble signing.

When it comes to what is going on in his head, I think some fans overanalyse things. He is exactly the same player that left us, only fresher. I will wager that after two or three games to get sharp the fans of the signing club will be raving about him.

As for the wages, we have players on huge wages here. VVD won't be on peanuts, nor will Forster or Austin. Morgans won't upset the balance.

Whether there are funds available is a different question.

Schneiderlin will be on at least £100,000 a week at United. Our top earner, Van Dijk, reportedly earns £70k. Bringing Schneiderlin in on that money absolutely would upset the balance, not least with our many midfielders. That's where the gamble lies for me - we've got a good thing going with Romeu and upsetting that is potentially dangerous.

Not sure how he can be fresher after two years on the bench and with injury problems, either. He might well be a raving success at whatever club he goes to though, and I hope he is. Unless it's Everton.

By no risk, I mean that there is no risk that he comes to the prem only to find he can't cut it, as so many players have in the past. To get that sort of talent and know it will perform at the very top level usually costs a damn sight more than £15m. It simply is not a gamble signing.

When it comes to what is going on in his head, I think some fans overanalyse things. He is exactly the same player that left us, only fresher. I will wager that after two or three games to get sharp the fans of the signing club will be raving about him.

As for the wages, we have players on huge wages here. VVD won't be on peanuts, nor will Forster or Austin. Morgans won't upset the balance.

Whether there are funds available is a different question.

They way you write you seem to assume that he wants to come back and we merely only have to bid.

Schneiderlin will be on at least £100,000 a week at United. Our top earner, Van Dijk, reportedly earns £70k. Bringing Schneiderlin in on that money absolutely would upset the balance, not least with our many midfielders.

Warning, salaries can go up or down.Even footballers realise they may get paid less if they leave a club like Manure. Unless they retire to China of course.

Morgan's not coming back. He's too proud to even entertain the thought.

Do you know him personally? Keen to know if your statement is based on fact or if Morgan's pride genuinely would get in the way of re-signing with Saints by choosing a move to West Brom instead?

Have you been on the wine again?

He wouldn't get anywhere near an all time starting 11.

Completely concur. No way he'd get in all time team. Williams was much better. Could go past players and create things. For me Santana is a better player.

Schneiderlin will be on at least £100,000 a week at United. Our top earner, Van Dijk, reportedly earns £70k. Bringing Schneiderlin in on that money absolutely would upset the balance, not least with our many midfielders. That's where the gamble lies for me - we've got a good thing going with Romeu and upsetting that is potentially dangerous.

Not sure how he can be fresher after two years on the bench and with injury problems, either. He might well be a raving success at whatever club he goes to though, and I hope he is. Unless it's Everton.

Who actually knows how much Van Dijk is on? Or any other player come to that? We were supposedly paying £68k a week to Ramirez 4.5 years ago. Wages have risen since then. A player value at £60m by the club won't be on £70k a week for long that's for sure. Austin may or may not be on £100k a week depending whether you are willing to accept Golds claim. I can't be sure, but nor can the other players. Has his signing and wage upset the apple cart?

I don't see how Morgan effects Romeu. You'd play both as we did Wanyama and Morgan, who gave the other more attacking players more freedom. We don't want rely on Boufal tracking back.

I don't understand why you don't think less games would not mean he is fresher than someone that has been flogged to death the last two seasons, but it matters not. We won't sign him.

Have you been on the wine again?

He wouldn't get anywhere near an all time starting 11.

probably been done before, but out of interest who are your two centre mids in a four four two? Edited by Chez

Shilton

Clyne Wright vvd Dennis

Ball Williams

Le tissier channon Paine

Keegan

Subs

Niemi, Davies, Toby, Armstrong, mane, bridge, Moran

Morgan nowhere near

Interesting. I never saw Ball play for Saints. Was he still top notch?

Did Armstrong play centre midfield or slightly wider? If wider, wouldn't a central midfielder in the bench be required and if so who would that be?

Did Armstrong play centre midfield or slightly wider? If wider, wouldn't a central midfielder in the bench be required and if so who would that be?

Victor for me.

We won't sign Morgan because we don't go back in this manner, probably also because he won't generate resale value and definitely because the player himself would view us as a backwards step. But those who are saying NO because he's not what we need, possess a level of bellendery which can only be surpassed buy those who say NO because he hasn't played much and therefore isn't good enough...

We won't sign Morgan because we don't go back in this manner, probably also because he won't generate resale value and definitely because the player himself would view us as a backwards step. But those who are saying NO because he's not what we need, possess a level of bellendery which can only be surpassed buy those who say NO because he hasn't played much and therefore isn't good enough...

So the day after Morgan Schneiderlin signs for Everton there will be on this forum exactly the same level of demand for us to sign a defensive midfielder for about £15-18m this January window, right? Because that's what we need, right?

No Dave Watson anywhere near the team? Surely Nick Holmes should get a place too, just for being Nick Holmes

So what you're saying is, if it's a choice between getting a player in a position we need (AM/creative CM) and Morgan, you'd still sign Morgan? Strange.

I think everyone would have him back, but in reality, we won't get 2 cm's in January. Personally, I'd rather strengthen in a position that needs strengthening.

I personally would have Morgan at the top of my January shopping list. Not only is he one of the very best at what he does (defensive midfield) but he does actually chip in with a few goals. If I remembered correctly, in the 14/15 season he chipped in with about 5 goals. So I don't see what people are getting at that about him not being an option for scoring goals from midfield.

I personally would have Morgan at the top of my January shopping list. Not only is he one of the very best at what he does (defensive midfield) but he does actually chip in with a few goals. If I remembered correctly, in the 14/15 season he chipped in with about 5 goals. So I don't see what people are getting at that about him not being an option for scoring goals from midfield.

We have the second or 3rd best defensive record in the league.. would suggest those currently doing that role aren't doing too bad.

5 goals (the same as Steven Davis last year), in a very good season for him, is not the creative midfielder we are after.

So the day after Morgan Schneiderlin signs for Everton there will be on this forum exactly the same level of demand for us to sign a defensive midfielder for about £15-18m this January window, right? Because that's what we need, right?

Any player, better than what we already have (which is subjective of course), is what we need. Arguably we have one decent DM and that's Romeu behind him there is a line of mediocre/ok players (and I've being saying that since September) so I wouldn't be crying if the club brought in a quality DM for 18 million quid in Jan weather it be Morgan or someone else if they are better than Clasie/JWP/Reed I'd be very happy.

Any player, better than what we already have (which is subjective of course), is what we need. Arguably we have one decent DM and that's Romeu behind him there is a line of mediocre/ok players (and I've being saying that since September) so I wouldn't be crying if the club brought in a quality DM for 18 million quid in Jan weather it be Morgan or someone else if they are better than Clasie/JWP/Reed I'd be very happy.

Even if that is subject to us not getting a player in a position where we are weaker?

We have the second or 3rd best defensive record in the league.. would suggest those currently doing that role aren't doing too bad.

5 goals (the same as Steven Davis last year), in a very good season for him, is not the creative midfielder we are after.

Yes I totally agree with the above, I'm just saying that Morgan is total class and would improve any side.

Personally I hope we spent £40m on two centre backs and £20m on a new goalkeeper this window. Desperate we are.

In all seriousness I'd rather we concentrated on solving where we are short - creativity and specifically a goalscorer - and not worry so much where we are strong. Romeu is doing great and we have cover a-plenty in that area. We don't need Morgan and we're not signing him or any player like him in this window.

Edited by CB Fry

Take 1982 as an example. David Armstrong did play wider on the left in a four man midfield with Nick Holmes and Alan Ball and a combination of Steve Williams and Graham Baker towards the right. Bally was still top notch but certainly not the same dynamic player as in his Everton and Arsenal days. He had legs around him in the middle of the park and all he just had to use his fantastic football brain to get himself in position to receive a pass and move it on. This he did brilliantly, he made the midfield tick, rarely needing to hold on to the ball for any real time.

Even if that is subject to us not getting a player in a position where we are weaker?

Well you could argue we are weakest at DM we have one proper holding/D midfielder which is Romeu who has played almost every game this season if he gets injured we have nothing in that position. What we have is a bunch of traditional CM players who are jacks of all trade and masters of F all would anyone be happy playing 1/2 a season with JWP/Clasie/Davis/Reed/Hoj as a holding/DM for the rest of the season if Romeu gets injured tonight? because I wouldn't. If Romeu stays fit great if not we look very weak there

We have a decent number of attacking players (and yes I certainly like to see one more) but again arguably Boufal/Sims/ Tadic/Long/Jrod/Redmond is a decent set of options for a front 3 and should be scoring more than they are.

Well you could argue we are weakest at DM we have one proper holding/D midfielder which is Romeu who has played almost every game this season if he gets injured we have nothing in that position. What we have is a bunch of traditional CM players who are jacks of all trade and masters of F all would anyone be happy playing 1/2 a season with JWP/Clasie/Davis/Reed/Hoj as a holding/DM for the rest of the season if Romeu gets injured tonight? because I wouldn't. If Romeu stays fit great if not we look very weak there

We have a decent number of attacking players (and yes I certainly like to see one more) but again arguably Boufal/Sims/ Tadic/Long/Jrod/Redmond is a decent set of options for a front 3 and should be scoring more than they are.

Well considering we have the second or 3rd best defensive record and the second worst goal scoring record I'd say there's no argument to be had ?

Well considering we have the second or 3rd best defensive record and the second worst goal scoring record I'd say there's no argument to be had ?

How good do you think our defensive record will look if Romeu gets injured and we have to play JWP as a DM for 10 games? On the other hand if some of our forward line get some confidence and start putting away the host of chances they can't seem to convert no one would be calling for another forward.

How good do you think our defensive record will look if Romeu gets injured and we have to play JWP as a DM for 10 games? On the other hand if some of our forward line get some confidence and start putting away the host of chances they can't seem to convert no one would be calling for another forward.

Not sure why one or more of JWP/Clasie/PEH/Reed couldn't step up in those circumstances in exactly the same way that Romeu himself did only six months ago.

It wasn't long ago that Oriel was the archetypal sell high buy cheap crappy old replacement we can't keep doing this etc etc etc.

Buying yet another central midfielder for big money seems a far stranger course of action than letting one or more of those four have an extended run in the side.

Not sure why one or more of JWP/Clasie/PEH/Reed couldn't step up in those circumstances in exactly the same way that Romeu himself did only six months ago.

It wasn't long ago that Oriel was the archetypal sell high buy cheap crappy old replacement we can't keep doing this etc etc etc.

Buying yet another central midfielder for big money seems a far stranger course of action than letting one or more of those four have an extended run in the side.

Not sure about that personally thought Romeu was a good player after watching him a couple of times.

I've seen enough of JWP to know he won't ever be a good DM. Reed might but he was struggling against Bournemouth. Hoj looks happier playing further up the pitch and his tendency to switch off would kill us in the DM role. Clasie might be good enough as a DM in the Dutch league but doesn't seem to cut it in the PL

I'd be quite happy for the club to flog JWP to make space for a quality DM in Jan....

Not sure about that personally thought Romeu was a good player after watching him a couple of times.

I've seen enough of JWP to know he won't ever be a good DM. Reed might but he was struggling against Bournemouth. Hoj looks happier playing further up the pitch and his tendency to switch off would kill us in the DM role. Clasie might be good enough as a DM in the Dutch league but doesn't seem to cut it in the PL

I'd be quite happy for the club to flog JWP to make space for a quality DM in Jan....

I think that's the nub of it, right there.

The club is not going to sign another central midfielder, in a similar sort of functional mould (pass and move, keep it simple) to a lot of our others, when we already have six of those who have played first team football this season. And I can't see us selling any of them in Jan. Yes, Morgan is probably better than any of the others but he would represent only a marginal improvement to the whole team and if he is commanding £100k+ per week would upset the current pay structure. If we sign a central midfielder it will be a much more offensive chap who offers a clear benefit to the squad (someone who can beat a man or represents a potent goal threat), and rightly so.

So what you're saying is, if it's a choice between getting a player in a position we need (AM/creative CM) and Morgan, you'd still sign Morgan? Strange.

I think everyone would have him back, but in reality, we won't get 2 cm's in January. Personally, I'd rather strengthen in a position that needs strengthening.

WOW!! I have no idea how you've reached that conclusion?

Completely agree - we won't get him but boy do we need him alongside Romeu. Our other midfield players are all powderpuffs who can't tackle and have no physical presence. Can we justify playing JWP just because he puts in the occasional decent dead ball delivery? We need someone like Morgan who covers the ground, makes interceptions and is strong. That will allow the cretive players more chance to work their magic instead of continually chasing back.

We used to dominate almost everyone at home and many away three seasons back. We might not have won them all, but in the vast majority of games you felt you could have. Players like Lallana, Ricky, Wanyama and Morgan made that happen through ball retention, power and a telepathic sense to get the ball back when we lost it. The loss of quality in central midfield means we hang on to the better teams now rather than dominate them. We can still win games, and we do, but we are no where near as good a side in my eyes.

Prowse, Hojbjerg, Classie, Reed can all do a job and there is time for improvement, but anyone that thinks we would not be better with Morgan in the side than without him watches a different game to me.

We used to dominate almost everyone at home and many away three seasons back. We might not have won them all, but in the vast majority of games you felt you could have. Players like Lallana, Ricky, Wanyama and Morgan made that happen through ball retention, power and a telepathic sense to get the ball back when we lost it. The loss of quality in central midfield means we hang on to the better teams now rather than dominate them. We can still win games, and we do, but we are no where near as good a side in my eyes.

Prowse, Hojbjerg, Classie, Reed can all do a job and there is time for improvement, but anyone that thinks we would not be better with Morgan in the side than without him watches a different game to me.

Spot on, but unfortunately it won't happen Chez.

I don't think anyone is denying he would improve us, but is he worth over 20 million and smashing our pay structure for? I don't think he is