Wigan v Saints - build up thread

Dr Who?

Changes from United game: Forren in for Hooiveld (if deemed fit), Lallana in for Rodriguez, Shaw in for Fox.

Tactic: attack, attack, attack... let's prove we really belong here and win with confidence. More creativity than normal would be nice, we really on lofting it up to big Rickie way too much, but with Lallana back in the team we should have a bit more of the fancy interplay we saw at the beginning of the season.

Result: a resounding 2-0 win, with opportunities for more. Wigan will come close, but our defence will do a great job. Back up to 15th as Chelsea finally win on the road and take the points from Newcastle. Could even make ground up on Norwich if QPR beat them, and Villa to lose too at Goodison. Reading could pick up a point or three, so we need to be winning this one.

Could be a great weekend all-round!

I don't really see that Forren would be fit for Saturday when he wasn't even judged fit enough for the bench on Wednesday.

Afraid we might be stuck with Jos again. Anyway what I'd like to see most of all is some sort of valid contribution from Gaston and maybe even a cameo from Mayuka. A goal apiece would greatly raise my opinion of them, even an assist.

I think we'll see a far better Ramirez with Lallana back in the team. Gives him much more space, time on the ball and someone more on his wavelength.

He's going to have to get fitter if he's to play this high tempo stuff to Pochettino's Liking

Created a lot of chances in one half only of the last two games, scoring only 1 goal. This is the main problem for me. Hopefully we'll bury more chances on Saturday. I think Wigan re-signing Scharner will be interesting. He could be well up for it and used to come up with some important goals during his first spell there, iirc. Like to think we go into this with the same mentality as QPR away. Going for a narrow Saints win.

Created a lot of chances in one half only of the last two games, scoring only 1 goal. This is the main problem for me. Hopefully we'll bury more chances on Saturday. I think Wigan re-signing Scharner will be interesting. He could be well up for it and used to come up with some important goals during his first spell there, iirc. Like to think we go into this with the same mentality as QPR away. Going for a narrow Saints win.
We didn't really create all that many chances against United.

Disagree... We have drawn enough games... Too many and not got enough wins.. We are running out of games and not winning this will mean we have to win another and there are some toughies coming up

Obviously a win would be best but a draw is better for us than for Wigan and keeps us 3 points ahead of them.

To stay up we need a point per game so away from home it wouldnt be a terrible result.

Its easy to say any game is must win but IMO the only true 100% must wins we have had this season were QPR away and Reading at home.

A draw is fine as long as reading, QPR and villa lose.... If not. It will most definitely be 2 points dropped with man city coming after.

But failure to win will mean we will have to beat a better team.... Which we simply can't do at the mo

So its not 'must win' then if its dependent on other results?

When we went to QPR it was must win regardless of any other results.

It is must not lose, a draw and we will still be ahead of QPR, Reading, Villa and Wigan - hardly a disaster although obviously a win is best.

For me if you fail to win a 'must win' game then it should have terrible consequences for the outcome of the season. A draw doesnt represent that for me. Its a must not lose to a team we are aleady ahead of and playing away from home.

IMO of course.

A draw is fine as long as reading, QPR and villa lose.... If not. It will most definitely be 2 points dropped with man city coming after.

But failure to win will mean we will have to beat a better team.... Which we simply can't do at the mo

Whilst I agree that we need to be winning this, I disagree with the last statement. We almost beat Arsenla and Everton and out played Utd. If we can show the same spirit and performance from those games we will beat one of the big teams.

Whilst I agree that we need to be winning this, I disagree with the last statement. We almost beat Arsenla and Everton and out played Utd. If we can show the same spirit and performance from those games we will beat one of the big teams.

But we never beat those and have for 2 points from the 6 games against the teams you mention

For how brilliant we are supposed to be, we can't beat anyone above 15th place.

With that in mind... I really think we can't afford to drop any points on sat...

I think we will win personally

I don't really see that Forren would be fit for Saturday when he wasn't even judged fit enough for the bench on Wednesday.

Afraid we might be stuck with Jos again. Anyway what I'd like to see most of all is some sort of valid contribution from Gaston and maybe even a cameo from Mayuka. A goal apiece would greatly raise my opinion of them, even an assist.

I'm hoping Mayuka is named on the bench and plays a part in the second half to inject some pace and zip into our attack. In an ideal world we would be leading 1-0 when he comes on and we go on to win it 2-0 thus avenging the 2-0 defeat at home.

No presser today - team stayed in Manchester.

Did you glean that from the Adam Blackmore tweet? I couldn't work out if he meant that he wasn't going to be at the "presser" or whether there wasn't one altogether. I thought it was a Premier League stipulation to have pre-match press conferences?

Delldays, perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by "must win". I say this because I think people assume you mean "must win or we will be relegated". And then they think that you are an imbecile.

Thanks for that. Thought I had clarified why I thought that winning this was essential

Just an opinion. If you disagree, then great

200px-Pukka_Pies_normal.jpgAdam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

No #saintsfc presser with MP today - team have stayed up in Manc for Wigan game - I'm hoping to interview a player or two tonight at hotel

bruce_forsythe_normal.jpgTrousers ‏@Lord_Trousers

@bigadamsport Does that mean there's no official presser at all or just that you're not going to it Adam?

200px-Pukka_Pies_normal.jpgAdam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

@Lord_Trousers I guess some organisations may have requested to do something up there like me, but no MP presser

bruce_forsythe_normal.jpgTrousers ‏@Lord_Trousers

@bigadamsport Cheers - surprised it's not a Premier League stipulation to hold an official pre-match press conference

@GraemeBailey: Confirmed this morning that as well as Stones and McGeady - Wigan failed to land Jefferson Montero from Morelia. http://t.co/J1j1KO7P

Sounds like they had a bit of a shocker on deadline day. Could you imagine it on here if we went into the final day with 3 transfers in the pipeline and didn't get any of them ! TDD, Apline, Dalek and Barry Sanchez would be having hissyfits!