New Home Shirt - do you like it?

stevegrant

Your opinion on the new home shirt...  

900 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the new home shirt...

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

I am in London... and every fan I know knows exactly what traditional colour shorts we played in, as do most with an interest in the EPL around the world. People do take this stuff in you know when watching Channon, Keegan, Le Tiss, Moran, Wallace, Beattie etc etc do their stuff in the famous red, white & black...

Mate, you are talking crap. You reckon if you walked down town Delhi. The average football fan would know that saints used to wear black shorts

Just stop it

Mate, you are talking crap. You reckon if you walked down town Delhi. The average football fan would know that saints used to wear black shorts

Just stop it

All aboard the bullsh**t rodeo.

What possible sensible point are you making with this tangent?

Yeah.

I got a £4 red training top from soccerworldofsport.com and it's, like, red. Hehe stuff you Saints.

Seriously, I cannot believe you have done this.

Why?

Actually, I don't care why, more fool you. Supporting the team wearing a red and white scarf your nan made is one thing, but this is just silly. I guess you'll buy a car sticker or something to make up for it, hey? ( Which would be step in the right direction.)

I can understand people not buying the kit because they don't like it or buying it because they do, or they want a 'complete' collection. What I really don't understand is how people get so worked up about people buying a totally different shirt. Wierd.

That is appalling. All that shirt does is confirm my belief that it is impossible to design or make a nice looking red and white striped shirt.

Taking away the sentimentality, can you not see that our new shirt is much, much nicer to look at than this Sunderland kit or any equal striped shirt we have had?

All I know is I am glad none of you lot design our shirts if you think this looks good!

This echo's my opinion exactly.

The longer we can go without looking like a barbershop sign, the better.

I reserved opinion until I had seen it in the shop and tried it on. Now that I have, I can safely say it is terrible. The away strip is also a dissapointment in the flesh. On the bright side, I will save myself £100 this season.

Just stop it

Any football fan with a keen interest in the English leagues will know what traditional kit Man Utd, Norwich, West Brom, Ipswich, West Ham, and yes, Saints wear. If you're talking about some random punter in Delhi who has only ever heard of Man Utd, then you have made your point, though I am losing track of what that is, or why you are so hung up on it.

PS I am not your mate.

This echo's my opinion exactly.

The longer we can go without looking like a barbershop sign, the better.

Ted, Bobby and Ron would be turning in their graves if they could hear some of these comments. That the modern fan seems to have so little empathy with our history & tradition is quite depressing.

To hear people denigrate the famous red & white stripes as 'deck chairs' or 'barber shop signs' is frankly nothing short of disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Some of the kids on here clearly just see a Saints shirt as a fashion accessory, rather than anything more significant - and I'm not going to argue it; it will clearly fall upon the deaf ears of those brought up on Sky and the "every change is good' mantra.

I'm aware this all makes me sound ancient (I am not!) - and I am all for innovation in our kits (read my other posts), as long as they are well designed, keep to our traditional colour palette (and yes, that does include black), and clearly have OUR identity running through them.

Even if you are the keenest fan of change and are beside yourself with glee that we will, for the forseeable future, be mimicking the Swiss national team, let's just have some respect for the stripes, and those Southampton greats who were proud to pull that shirt on eh?....

Edited by SW11_Saint

I have just been into the Saints shop in West Quay to buy a small gift and was greeted with the new kit, virtually wall to wall. This was the first opportunity I've had to see it properly. I don't like to be over dramatic about things, but it really is absolutely dreadful. Even allowing for the fact that I'm firmly in the red/white stripes+black shorts camp, it's beyond my worst expectations. Last year's effort at least looked OK, even if it wasn't in keeping with tradition. The gaudy gold is just embarassing.

Ted, Bobby and Ron would be turning in their graves if they could hear some of these comments. That the modern fan seems to have so little empathy with our history & tradition is quite depressing.

To hear people denigrate the famous red & white stripes as 'deck chairs' or 'barber shop signs' is frankly nothing short of disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Some of the kids on here clearly just see a Saints shirt as a fashion accessory, rather than anything more significant - and I'm not going to argue it, it will clearly fall upon the deaf ears of those brought up on Sky and the "every change is good' mantra.

I'm aware this all makes me sound ancient (I am not!) - and I am all for innovation in our kits (read my other posts), as long as they are well designed, keep to our traditional colour palette (and yes, that does include black), and clearly have OUR identity running through them.

Even if you are the keenest fan of change and are beside yourself with glee that we will, for the forseeable future, be mimicking the Swiss national team, let's just have some respect for the stripes, and those Southampton greats who were proud to pull that shirt on eh?....

Great post, fully agree.

As I've already said in this thread, I really don't mind the new kit. However it doesn't seem right that season ticket discount apparently doesn't apply in the club stores until the start of August. 2013/14 STs should surely be valid for a 10% deduction on the 2013/14 kit from the day they're issued?

Some of the kids on here clearly just see a Saints shirt as a fashion accessory, rather than anything more significant - and I'm not going to argue it; it will clearly fall upon the deaf ears of those brought up on Sky and the "every change is good' mantra.

Excellent post, spot on.

Excellent post, spot on.

As I've already said in this thread, I really don't mind the new kit. However it doesn't seem right that season ticket discount apparently doesn't apply in the club stores until the start of August. 2013/14 STs should surely be valid for a 10% deduction on the 2013/14 kit from the day they're issued?

i really think this needs highlighting more.

when the season ticket renewals went on sale they advertised that we'd be the beneficaries of a 10% discount in the club shop, a saving some claimed would soften the blow of a 6% price increase (in my case £30 increase).

a family member went into the store to buy a few items on saturday for a birthday present, asked for the season ticket discount and was told, BAD LUCK EITHER BUY TODAY FULL PRICE OR COME BACK IN AUGUST.

a) what sort of service is this for loyal fans?

b) what is the point giving ST holders a discount and then not letting them have it in the immediate period after the new kit is launched? fleecing the fans for a few more quid?

There's nothing denigrating about it at all. its a statement of fact. Nothing can take away how great our players were. But I'm perfectly happy in the knowledge that our current identity can help progress the club in a way I don't believe stripes can.

Get over yourself.

There's nothing denigrating about it at all. its a statement of fact. Nothing can take away how great our players were. But I'm perfectly happy in the knowledge that our current identity can help progress the club in a way I don't believe stripes can.

It is totally and utterly denigrating. Can you imagine a Celtic fan talking about the hoops like that? Check the banner at the top of the page and have another think.

Care to elaborate on your last comment? In what way does an 'all red' kit provide a commercial, sporting or strategic advantage? I'd really love to know...

But I'm perfectly happy in the knowledge that our current identity can help progress the club in a way I don't believe stripes can.

Go on then. Share your "knowledge".

How is an off-the-peg Adidas plain red top going to "progress the club in a way that [you] don't believe stripes can"?

10 bonus points for every time you don't mention "the Asian market".

Edited by CB Fry

OK, so most people on here don't like the new season shirt but can we at least agree on one thing - it would look good as a costume for the groom at an Indian Bollywood wedding? Maybe next year we'll be able to pair it up with a shirt that would suit the Bride.

OK, so most people on here don't like the new season shirt but can we at least agree on one thing - it would look good as a costume for the groom at an Indian Bollywood wedding? Maybe next year we'll be able to pair it up with a shirt that would suit the Bride.

:o I've been to a couple of Indian weddings and the red / gold look is certainly popular.

:rolleyes: That's it, at last, The Northam can do a full on Bollywood dance routine that will certainly be more original than the shirt or the Posnan

:facepalm:

Just love it when people try to relate things that have no relation whatsoever. Might as well of posted a picture of Dortmund or Milan.

Linking together things like, say, plain red shirts and progress not achievable wearing striped shirts?

Things like that?

i really think this needs highlighting more.

when the season ticket renewals went on sale they advertised that we'd be the beneficaries of a 10% discount in the club shop, a saving some claimed would soften the blow of a 6% price increase (in my case £30 increase).

a family member went into the store to buy a few items on saturday for a birthday present, asked for the season ticket discount and was told, BAD LUCK EITHER BUY TODAY FULL PRICE OR COME BACK IN AUGUST.

a) what sort of service is this for loyal fans?

b) what is the point giving ST holders a discount and then not letting them have it in the immediate period after the new kit is launched? fleecing the fans for a few more quid?

Equally, what's the point of offering a 10% discount on something many people clearly don't want to buy at any price? Add to that, even with the discount it is still more expensive than it was last year without the discount.

I saw it in the flesh for the first time yesterday too and I couldn't make out the sponsor from 15+ yards. I also thought it looked very chavvy. I was considering getting a new shirt this year (my latest one is the 125 sash) but certainly won't be now. :-(

I have now seen two people in real life wearing the shirt. One in the Bridge at Woolston on Friday (why would you do that on a non-match day ?!) and the other one in Bevois Valley around 7pm last night. The latter had a non-Prem numbering thing on the back with the number 85, so either he had a far greater appreciation of the last time Saints started playing in a pure red shirt with no stripes of any sort (pinstripes included) than I was giving him credit for, or he was 28 years old (probably more likely).

I don't even get why he'd stick random non-"official" style numbers on it, you can get the real ones off eBay just as cheap as any other numbers... I'd say he'd "ruined the shirt" but I think it's broken already, more for the use of too much red and not enough stripe than the incredibly naff gold.

I wonder when our batch of "ordered last minute to replace the black/gold ones when Lotus pulled out" black/silver shirts will turn up ? :D

Think I might have found my shirt for the season.

Admittedly, it's not got any red on it, but it has got quite nice stripes!

a9y9u9eb.jpg

Just got back from Barcelona where the lovely new Barca away kit was everywhere, but of course, I wanted something a little different. Hardly any (decent) Esanyol kits anywhere, so this seems just right...

zyny6e2y.jpg

I got my shirt for my 40th yesterday, obviously with 40 and my surname on the back. I like the shirt. It's a nice shade of red that goes well with the gold.

My only gripe with the kit is that they have taken away our black shorts. Between 80 and 89 we didnt have stripes but we've always had black shorts.

(Not sure if posted previously)

Notice from the picture on the U21 match report on the OS, the kit they seem to be wearing (the home shirt) hasn't got an aap3 logo on it.

Does suggest that the kit was delivered without the sponsor on it as Lotus (or someone else)

I think it looks better without the sponsor (but then most kits do)