New Home Shirt - do you like it?

stevegrant

Your opinion on the new home shirt...  

900 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the new home shirt...

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

Majority view! you're kidding right. A few angry fans on a forum, does not constitute a 'majority' view. We had the same response last year, and in part, the year before, and on here it was the same half dozen regular posters, who shouted the loudest. No, it's not stripes, but it is the strip that my team will play in this coming season, and as such, it is a Saints kit. Some here need to get over themselves, they do not influence the policy making of this club, now, or in the future, so live with it, or change allegiance!

Your point being? We don't have a choice so lump it or like it? Ridiculous.

Fans who pay over £500 for their STs surely have some right of ownership of their club otherwise what does any of it mean. Where's the harm in seeking the opinion of fans before settling a design, after all the fans are the mugs who are going to have to wear these things around town and for sure most don't want to look like plonkers.

Im pro this new kit and nearly everything that NC does. But even I agree that this kit is have not been received well at all in general

I also think that it will still sell quite well. Well enough to dimiss consideration that a mistake was made anyway

I've got no doubt it will sell well. I've long been in the camp that we should mix up our home shirt design every once in a while to maximise sales. As much as I detested last season's design I recognised it was a decent idea from a sales point of view to go for something completely different. This year I also see the logic; I just think its a tragic and lazy design, and so I'll utilise the only "protest" at my disposal, which is to not buy it. But plenty will still buy it, which will justify the decision to have something different to stripes. That doesn't mean I have to like the change, though.

Your point being? We don't have a choice so lump it or like it? Ridiculous.

Fans who pay over £500 for their STs surely have some right of ownership of their club otherwise what does any of it mean. Where's the harm in seeking the opinion of fans before settling a design, after all the fans are the mugs who are going to have to wear these things around town and for sure most don't want to look like plonkers.

The purchase of the season ticket is merely payment of an admission charge to watch an entertainment event, put bluntly.

Poor football is likely to eventually affect the number of attendances, just as poor quality or unpopular design will affect the sales of merchandise adversely. From that point of view, the club could have benefited from asking the fan base for their preferences and acting upon them. However, because there has been no dialogue between the board and the fans over this, we are not privy to the commercial reasons behind this decision so do not know the reasoning behind it. Several suggestions have been made to justify the decision for the re-branding, among them the greater appeal to the Asian market where red and gold are seen to be lucky, propitious colours.

Ultimately, the wisdom of the decision will be gauged through the sales and on the basis of those, will be determined the justification for the change or the admission that it was a mistake and lessons learned from it.

Whether somebody looks more like a plonker wearing one football shirt design rather than another around town is a moot point.

Who is the guy with his face blacked out behind AL's shoulder?

New secret signing undergoing strict pre signing medical tests Alert.

I reckon its one of the coaching staff holding a camcorder and its the mini screen that's blocking his face.

Some here need to get over themselves, they do not influence the policy making of this club, now, or in the future, so live with it, or change allegiance!

Are you for real?! 'If you don't like the (sh1tty) new kit and make your feelings known, go and find a new club?' I've heard some pathetic things in my time but that takes the biscuit.

PS 65% IS a majority.

Im pro this new kit and nearly everything that NC does. But even I agree that this kit is have not been received well at all in general

I also think that it will still sell quite well. Well enough to dimiss consideration that a mistake was made anyway

Less than 20% approval rating can never be seen as a success. If NC is the smart businessman people say he is, he should be focussing on the opportunity cost of the disenfranchised 60% of the club's fan base, and working out how to engage (monetise) those fans.

[Hint: it involves black shorts and vertical stripes]

Less than 20% approval rating can never be seen as a success. If NC is the smart businessman people say he is, he should be focussing on the opportunity cost of the disenfranchised 60% of the club's fan base, and working out how to engage (monetise) those fans.

[Hint: it involves black shorts and vertical stripes]

Are you sure that's what it involves? There are often vocal minorities involved in this kind of thing and last season's kit supposedly sold very well. Certainly shouldn't be a surprise that you risk facing stagnating sales if you don't make any changes.

Also, why does everyone assume Cortese that has anything to do with deciding the colour of the kit? If he had particularly strong feelings I'm sure he would get his way, as Tan has at Cardiff, but it's possible that other staff at the club make these decisions and Cortese just lets them get on with it.

Edited by DuncanRG

You will always sell well, particularly in the Premier League. And no one is arguing against change, we, like most clubs, are clearly going to change our kit every year, and most people have no problem about that, or at least accept it. Like everyone else, I get excited about a new kit coming out (only to be desperately deflated on the last two seasons). We have a strong brand and colour template (red, white, black) and that can be used in any number if innovative ways, whilst still retaining our brand and our identity - as has been shown by some of the great designs that people have come up with on here. As I have said many times, this is SO easy to get right. being innovative and progressive, while still retaining your identity are not mutually exclusive.

Have no doubt whatsoever, Cortese runs EVERY ASPECT of the club - I know this for a fact - and I have no doubt that the red rebranding will be his doing. I am sure there are those at the club will have wanted to go back to a design more in keeping with our identity, but I doubt they will have voiced that opinion...

Are you sure that's what it involves? There are often vocal minorities involved in this kind of thing and last season's kit supposedly sold very well. Certainly shouldn't be a surprise that you risk facing stagnating sales if you don't make any changes.

Hmm, you seem to be another person suggesting that a majority of people who like the kit might not have been polled both on here and on the Echo website. I don't deny for a minute that it'll sell pretty well; but as a shirt that the majority of the fanbase will like, I don't know why you're so keen to look past the numbers.

Also, why does everyone assume Cortese that has anything to do with deciding the colour of the kit? If he had particularly strong feelings I'm sure he would get his way, as Tan has at Cardiff, but it's possible that other staff at the club make these decisions and Cortese just lets them get on with it.

No, it isn't.

Edited by The Kraken

Most of my mates either like the shirt (because it's Adidas) or are indifferent to it. It's funny, even though we disagree in real life we are still able to have a laugh about it and be civil with each other. Unlike here it seems.

I respect that taste and opinion vary. We are no less or more of a fan if we like/dislike or buy or don't buy the kits in my opinion. We all want the team and club to succeed and progress. Me, I'd rather that happen with the Saints wearing stripes but It didn't stop me buying two £820 Season Tickets yesterday (gulp). It will stop me from spending an extra £100 on two shirts.

New-Sunderland-Home-Kit-13-14.jpg

Damn beaten to it.

Yes Folks lets have a look at what we could have had.

Oh no Eric...'we can't have that because Sunderland and Stoke have stripes and they've been in the Prem longer than us'... (*sarcastic response to those others who think we can't have an opinion unless we agree with 'all red' with no explanation*)... ;)

Edited by Channon's Sideburns

Who is the guy with his face blacked out behind AL's shoulder?

New secret signing undergoing strict pre signing medical tests Alert.

coaching staff = black T shirts

Players= Red T shirts.

oh and Rickie just has to get some new trainers, the coaches have Lunarglide 4s and he has something out of Woolies latest range, probably light up when he walks.

The purchase of the season ticket is merely payment of an admission charge to watch an entertainment event, put bluntly.

Poor football is likely to eventually affect the number of attendances, just as poor quality or unpopular design will affect the sales of merchandise adversely. From that point of view, the club could have benefited from asking the fan base for their preferences and acting upon them. However, because there has been no dialogue between the board and the fans over this, we are not privy to the commercial reasons behind this decision so do not know the reasoning behind it. Several suggestions have been made to justify the decision for the re-branding, among them the greater appeal to the Asian market where red and gold are seen to be lucky, propitious colours.

Ultimately, the wisdom of the decision will be gauged through the sales and on the basis of those, will be determined the justification for the change or the admission that it was a mistake and lessons learned from it.

Whether somebody looks more like a plonker wearing one football shirt design rather than another around town is a moot point.

So if there are poor sales you will comment upon it as a Cortese mistake for lack of dialogue with the fans/supporters of the club?

Progress I suppose Wes.

Unbelievable. Once again - it is SO easy to get it right.

Lucky old Sunderland. History and tradition in tact, and a nice looking new kit.

Joke absolute joke, this is a model of the Bilboa/Athletico Madrid kit, superb and simple, too much to ask for our lot, our kit is simply kit, I have bought the £20 http://www.prosocceruk.co.uk/?i=471700&colour=UniversityRed/White&sleeves=Short Sleeves

I hate the kit. The change of colours from red-and-white to mostly-red-with-a-bit-of-white doesn't bother me as much as some. What I really hate is the fact it just looks utter **ite, especially the ridiculous sleeves... even more so now I've seen it on people wearing it around Southampton. That, and it's a lazy template design, rather than being something unique to SFC, which just completely devalues it.

But I suspect the fans' opinion doesn't actually mean that much when the numbers are weighed up. A few thousand kit sales is small beer compared to the sponsorship rights. My guess is that removing stripes makes it easier to market the shirt space for sponsorship through the sponsor logo being more visible and easier to pick out on TV. I would assume we are looking for a fairly major brand once the aap3 deal expires. Probably end up with another pay-day loan company or online bookmaker like everyone else though.

New-Sunderland-Home-Kit-13-14.jpg

That is appalling. All that shirt does is confirm my belief that it is impossible to design or make a nice looking red and white striped shirt.

Taking away the sentimentality, can you not see that our new shirt is much, much nicer to look at than this Sunderland kit or any equal striped shirt we have had?

All I know is I am glad none of you lot design our shirts if you think this looks good!

That strip in red and white (black shorts) would have been fantastic for us. Oh well.

Amazing isn't it ? You look at the Hull home kit as a template, or the Swindon away, and see what Adidas can produce, or the Ajax home for an example of keeping with tradition, and just wonder why ? Cortese really has been sold - or selected - the runt of the Adidas litter.

I hate the kit. The change of colours from red-and-white to mostly-red-with-a-bit-of-white doesn't bother me as much as some. What I really hate is the fact it just looks utter **ite, especially the ridiculous sleeves... even more so now I've seen it on people wearing it around Southampton. That, and it's a lazy template design, rather than being something unique to SFC, which just completely devalues it.

But I suspect the fans' opinion doesn't actually mean that much when the numbers are weighed up. A few thousand kit sales is small beer compared to the sponsorship rights. My guess is that removing stripes makes it easier to market the shirt space for sponsorship through the sponsor logo being more visible and easier to pick out on TV. I would assume we are looking for a fairly major brand once the aap3 deal expires. Probably end up with another pay-day loan company or online bookmaker like everyone else though.

I agree - It doesn't Work on any level. Just poor, drab, generic, lazy 'design'.

Not sure I agree on the advertising point. Other clubs with stripes have no trouble, and some of those are the biggest clubs in the world - think Barca, Juve, Milan Clubs.

Given the other Adidas striped kits we are seeing I am more convinced than ever that this whole 'all red thing' is just Cortese's desire/whim. Problem is, just like Lowe, if he is 'wrong' on something (vs general opinion) he will just become more entrenched and determined to 'break' any resistance. I hope that is not the case, but suspect it will be. Shame he can't take a dispassionate, commercial view - there is no downside to that other than him losing a little face on his idea not being accepted.

Interesting.

latest approval - now kit seen in flesh - 78%.

Still not sure whether I would vote yes.

so as predicted the wailing and 'outrage' has subsided to tuts and now everyone likes it.

One thing is for sure, if we have a successful season, get to a cup final, finish in a european spot, whatever, it wont be remembered as the awful kit with the gold logos, it'll be the great kit we wore that they'll be producing retro versions of in 2033 remembering our great side from that era.

so as predicted the wailing and 'outrage' has subsided to tuts and now everyone likes it.

One thing is for sure, if we have a successful season, get to a cup final, finish in a european spot, whatever, it wont be remembered as the awful kit with the gold logos, it'll be the great kit we wore that they'll be producing retro versions of in 2033 remembering our great side from that era.

get to a cup final, finish in a european spot

That bit in there had my tinkler sprinkling, on what basis shall we be challenging for European places?

get to a cup final, finish in a european spot

That bit in there had my tinkler sprinkling, on what basis shall we be challenging for European places?

come on Dune, you know the point i was making, if we have a good season people wont say it was a sh*t kit.

come on Dune, you know the point i was making, if we have a good season people wont say it was a sh*t kit.

Come on Melvin, I dont know what you are saying as its crap, just like if we win the World Cup wearing it with Benali scoring, the kit will still be crap.

Come on Mavis you can do better.