New Home Shirt - do you like it?

stevegrant

Your opinion on the new home shirt...  

900 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the new home shirt...

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

Come on Melvin, I dont know what you are saying as its crap, just like if we win the World Cup wearing it with Benali scoring, the kit will still be crap.

Come on Mavis you can do better.

so you're telling me if we have a great season in it people wont remember it as one of their favourite kits?

Have no doubt whatsoever, Cortese runs EVERY ASPECT of the club - I know this for a fact

When does he get time to eat?

You're probably right that he has something to do with the change to plain red, but I wouldn't be so hasty to blame him for the sleeves, quality of stitching on the badge etc.

Edited by DuncanRG

Has this been posted before?? Actually found myself agreeing with it

Suddenly, we’re not the club with stripes; we’re a club in all-red - but none of us know why.If you don't care, then it doesn't matter. End of story. You need not worry.

However for those that do, no explanation for the change will ever be forthcoming, so they are left to deduce it for themselves.

For a start, anyone trying to argue it’s a better way to attract new fans in Asia is talking complete and utter nonsense. You attract new fans in far-off lands by being good on the pitch and having the high profile that comes from repeated success.

I don’t see Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or Barcelona rushing to change their kits, so you can discount that straight away - unless you actually believe Cardiff are suddenly massive in Malaysia just because they’re in red.

The nature of fan culture suggests it would not be a purely commercial decision - if you want a Saints shirt, you're not going to buy an Arsenal one just because it's got more red on it, so I doubt it's that.

Obviously it can’t be to improve the team as it is just coloured nylon – else we’d be seeing Sunday League teams in the top flight in no time.

It can only be for a reason of personal preference. Someone in a position of power at St. Mary’s prefers all red kits to red-and-white stripes. That’s the reason for the change. No more, no less.

I presume that person is Nicola Cortese, although it could plausibly be a member of the Liebherr family.

Either way, it makes no difference. If the powers-that-be at DMWSL 613Ltd want to rebrand the club, be it as a team that only wears red or with a new badge, they could at least do us – the supporters – the courtesy of explaining why, rather than just foisting it upon us.

Edited by Big Bad Bob

so as predicted the wailing and 'outrage' has subsided to tuts and now everyone likes it.

One thing is for sure, if we have a successful season, get to a cup final, finish in a european spot, whatever, it wont be remembered as the awful kit with the gold logos, it'll be the great kit we wore that they'll be producing retro versions of in 2033 remembering our great side from that era.

No, it'll be remembered as the great team in a shi1t kit...

That is appalling. All that shirt does is confirm my belief that it is impossible to design or make a nice looking red and white striped shirt.

Taking away the sentimentality, can you not see that our new shirt is much, much nicer to look at than this Sunderland kit or any equal striped shirt we have had?

All I know is I am glad none of you lot design our shirts if you think this looks good!

That's pretty crappy around the sleeves but the rest of it lays a steaming great dump over our ugly all red effort.

The Hull away and West Brom home templates (which are almost certainly what Stoke will have now) are perfectly good - and the exact same templates as Saints DO have - except with stripes on it.

So basically if your argument is "adidas can't make a good striped kit" I don't agree, if your argument is "if we had a striped kit it would look worse than our current kit", |I don't agree, and if your argument is "plain colours always look better than stripes", it's not even the case here despite the Sunderland kit looking a bit cack around the edges.

Interesting.

latest approval - now kit seen in flesh - 78%.

Still not sure whether I would vote yes.

Yeah sure, this definitely happened.

What planet are you on ?

The Echo poll says "72% Do Not Like" the kit. The poll on here says 60% don't like it and won't buy it, and another 8% won't buy it anyway, plus another 15% aren't bothered and therefore also won't buy it. So that's 83% who won't be buying it. Another 6.5% don't like it and won't buy it, leaving the 1/10 who actually like it and will buy it. So on what planet do you have to be to be thinking that there's a magical 68% swing in opinion ?

The only way you'd get a 78% approval rating for the shirt is by polling children under the age of 10 standing in the club shop with their parents holding the thing at the till - and you'd better not ask the parents.

I think it's a nice enough design for a football team, but it's a terrible Saints shirt, and the striped versions Hull and West Brom (A) have are miles better than the plain design just for the addition of a couple of stripes on the front.

Or maybe...

800px-Swiss_national_football_team.jpg

Introducing Switzerhampton!

(eagerly anticipates for The9 pointing out they normally play in white shorts)

The9 will be pointing out that that photo was taken circa 2006, and that most international teams are being forced into all predominantly dark or all predominantly light kits thanks to a daft FIFA tournament finals rule, so they only play in white shorts in friendlies, qualification games and with their away kit nowadays.

Amazing isn't it ? You look at the Hull home kit as a template, or the Swindon away, and see what Adidas can produce, or the Ajax home for an example of keeping with tradition, and just wonder why ? Cortese really has been sold - or selected - the runt of the Adidas litter.

Adidas would produce something to meet the specification provided by the club, not the other way around.

FWIW I like the training kit quite a lot, it's nothing against the monochrome badge (there's a black one and a red one on various training kit), or against plain coloured kits (I like the away kit), I'm just anti-plain coloured kit as a Saints home shirt.

Though that red/gold combination is bloody ugly in it's own right as well...

That strip in red and white (black shorts) would have been fantastic for us. Oh well.

West Brom away... came out about a week ago. They have the same shorts as Fulham, which is... interesting (to me).

AC-Milan-West-Brom-Kit-2013-14.jpg

so as predicted the wailing and 'outrage' has subsided to tuts and now everyone likes it.

One thing is for sure, if we have a successful season, get to a cup final, finish in a european spot, whatever, it wont be remembered as the awful kit with the gold logos, it'll be the great kit we wore that they'll be producing retro versions of in 2033 remembering our great side from that era.

The outrage is still simmering in this corner of Hampshire, I assure you. :) And of "people who like it", so far there's Essruu and Batman and I think Faz is quite keen, but there aren't many compared to those who don't like it.

As mentioned above, I'm not sure what anyone who doesn't like it is meant to do when there aren't significant matches for another month, and the best way to show you don't like it is not buying it, which involves doing absolutely nothing.

The outrage is still simmering in this corner of Hampshire, I assure you. :) And of "people who like it", so far there's Essruu and Batman and I think Faz is quite keen, but there aren't many compared to those who don't like it.

As mentioned above, I'm not sure what anyone who doesn't like it is meant to do when there aren't significant matches for another month, and the best way to show you don't like it is not buying it, which involves doing absolutely nothing.

i like it but wont be buying it :)

I think it's a nice enough design for a football team, but it's a terrible Saints shirt, and the striped versions Hull and West Brom (A) have are miles better than the plain design just for the addition of a couple of stripes on the front.

Though we'd need black shorts too. Has to be black shorts.

Though we'd need black shorts too. Has to be black shorts.

Blue shorts are our traditional shorts because we wore them sixty years ago. That's tradition, unless you are Leeds whose tradition started in the sixties. Or Saints, whose traditional kit is this years kit, whatever it looks like. So forget that thing about blue shorts. Or remember it. Or something. Remember when Liverpool wore stripes?

West Brom away... came out about a week ago. They have the same shorts as Fulham, which is... interesting (to me).

AC-Milan-West-Brom-Kit-2013-14.jpg

The badge is on in a stupid place on that shirt, looks weird. Even Claudio Yacob puffing his chest out hasn't compensated.

All Adidas kits, especially the ones for the Premier League teams look pretty rubbish IMO and they have been very lazy with the designs using simple templates.

I'm really non-plussed about the whole thing it doesn't really change much. I'll probably buy the away kit as I like it.

If people want to really protest against it follow Mario Gotze's lead -

Mario-G-tzes-Nike-fashion-005.jpg

All Adidas kits, especially the ones for the Premier League teams look pretty rubbish IMO and they have been very lazy with the designs using simple templates.

Can't agree with that entirely. Adidas have been extremely generic but the most frustrating thing has been seeing how they can get it spot on for some clubs but not for others, like us, where they've used a standard template that really means nothing. The Ajax shirt is an absolute beauty; simple but classic. Both West Ham's home and away kits have been done very tastefully and have gone down very well indeed with their fans. Aside from the lopsided badge and logo setup, the Sunderland kit is actually very nice. There have been other adidas striped efforts from the PL and round the world that have looked good; but there have been too many have been lazy templates just thrown at the clubs. Dare I say it, adidas seem to be reallyt cornering the market of the PL teams, there's loads of sides that now use them and without a bigger catalogue of available templates, aside from one or two sides who've come out of it well its really been overused as an advertising tool for adidas than for creating a little originality for the teams.

Well I've just taken delivery of a £17.99 version of our top - i.e. no Saints logo, no sponsor. It's actually not too bad - better quality than last seasons abomination, but then I have saved an awful lot of money this time round. Pity the club have not seen a penny of my money, but then they should have considered their supporters a bit more and not chosen such a cheap design.

Well I've just taken delivery of a £17.99 version of our top - i.e. no Saints logo, no sponsor. It's actually not too bad - better quality than last seasons abomination, but then I have saved an awful lot of money this time round. Pity the club have not seen a penny of my money, but then they should have considered their supporters a bit more and not chosen such a cheap design.

So you've bought a template red shirt, which is actually a different shade of red, with white in places that it isn't on the real shirt, with no badges.

£17.99 is still too much. Why you'd bother buying that is beyond me too. Just don't buy the official shirt!

So you've bought a template red shirt, which is actually a different shade of red, with white in places that it isn't on the real shirt, with no badges.

£17.99 is still too much. Why you'd bother buying that is beyond me too. Just don't buy the official shirt!

Looks almost identical apart from the badges - so what? I've not seen them up close together, but I bet the shade of red business is not noticeable. The template shirt in itself, is not a bad sports top to be fair. Looks good on me anyway. lol

Yeah.

I got a £4 red training top from soccerworldofsport.com and it's, like, red. Hehe stuff you Saints.

Seriously, I cannot believe you have done this.

Why?

Actually, I don't care why, more fool you. Supporting the team wearing a red and white scarf your nan made is one thing, but this is just silly. I guess you'll buy a car sticker or something to make up for it, hey? ( Which would be step in the right direction.)

Yeah.

I got a £4 red training top from soccerworldofsport.com and it's, like, red. Hehe stuff you Saints.

Seriously, I cannot believe you have done this.

Why?

Actually, I don't care why, more fool you. Supporting the team wearing a red and white scarf your nan made is one thing, but this is just silly. I guess you'll buy a car sticker or something to make up for it, hey? ( Which would be step in the right direction.)

I've bought some Hi-Tec Silver Shadows and I'm gonna sew the Nike logo on em. Should look pretty swish.

adi48040-896333_478x359.png

Looks like Forest got a unique template from Adidas, unlike us.

No they didn't, they actually got an old template....aberdeen's home from last year.

Adidas are mugging off most of the British teams this year tbh.

Not a fan of the stoke home either....preferred the Sunderland home and even that wasn't great. Adidas are not great at stripes usually. Been saying it for years.

Blue shorts are our traditional shorts because we wore them sixty years ago. That's tradition, unless you are Leeds whose tradition started in the sixties. Or Saints, whose traditional kit is this years kit, whatever it looks like. So forget that thing about blue shorts. Or remember it. Or something. Remember when Liverpool wore stripes?

Ok, if we're going to be pedantic...! Black shorts have been predominant / traditional in my lifetime (I'm 49, so a fair chunk of history), and I suspect for the majority of the history of SFC.

Most fans (around the world) know us as red & white stripes and black shorts. That IS our tradition, and no one will convince me otherwise - and I will whinge every season until we go back to something that resembles it!!

Thinking about this - is there any recourse to ask the club WHY they have changed to his horrible all red thing? I would just love to hear an explanation, and their commentary on the strength of fan feeling. Am not expecting a letter to be replied to, but are there any fans groups in regular contact with the club who could ask?

Ok, if we're going to be pedantic...! Black shorts have been predominant / traditional in my lifetime (I'm 49, so a fair chunk of history), and I suspect for the majority of the history of SFC.

Most fans (around the world) know us as red & white stripes and black shorts. That IS our tradition, and no one will convince me otherwise - and I will whinge every season until we go back to something that resembles it!!

You are right about the known for stripes

But if you went to London let alone Lisbon, I bet hardly anyone knows that we played in black shorts for many years

You are right about the known for stripes

But if you went to London let alone Lisbon, I bet hardly anyone knows that we played in black shorts for many years

I am in London... and every fan I know knows exactly what traditional colour shorts we played in, as do most with an interest in the EPL around the world. People do take this stuff in you know when watching Channon, Keegan, Le Tiss, Moran, Wallace, Beattie etc etc do their stuff in the famous red, white & black...

I wasn't being pendantic but never mind.